closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grail watch - Valuation in London

Craftsman

Grail watch - Valuation in London

I am extremely fortunate to be picking up my grail watch this weekend.
    I need to get a valuation on it asap, so was hoping to try to get one done near Bond St as soon as I pick the watch up.
    It is a Patek 5168G-001 I am assuming that any decent valuation will give me two values, one the cost as new (easy as I will have the receipt with me), and one a cost to replace.

Can anyone recommend someone that could do a valuation in central London (ideally close to Bond St)?
    Thanks in Advance

Master
    For home insurance purposes I've used the Jewellery Valuers Association (JVA) before,
    It might be worth checking out their website to find someone locally.
    Unsure of your chances of getting a 'quick' appraisal as a walk in though.

Nice one on landing your 'grail' enjoy

Craftsman

Valuation

Thanks for the advice... you are right, I thought it would be easy to arrange , but seems to be more appointment based etc.
    Will get onto that asap, as looks unlikely to find anyone for this weekend.

Blog Entries
    Patek AD perhaps?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Patek AD perhaps?
    He already knows the retail price, but I’m guessing if anything happened he would be unlikely to get another. I don’t know what the RRP is, but there are plenty on Chrono24 starting at a little over £60k and going right up to £100k. Clearly these are being flipped and the current market price is a lot higher than the list price. Not sure how anybody would be able to give a market value when the price is probably all over the place.

Maybe those who own other hot watches such as the Nautilus etc can share how they cover the difference between list and market price.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; Yesterday at 09:29.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Patek AD perhaps?
    I would have thought, this to be the best way.

Watches that I have purchased from my AD from Longines to Patek Phillipe have always provided me with a valuation report for insurance purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    I would have thought, this to be the best way.

Watches that I have purchased from my AD from Longines to Patek Phillipe have always provided me with a valuation report for insurance purposes.
    The problem with that is if the valuation is worth the paper it’s written on.

Craftsman

valuation

Yes exactly that... I will obviously have a fair valuation using the receipt the day I purchase. But should the worst happen (God forbid), I would hope to have a replacement value at a bit higher than the list price.

I have waited all my life for this to happen - no way I would sell it (unless needs must of course)... This is something that my son is looking forward to inheriting! So just want to ensure it is insured for a reasonable amount.

Craftsman
    Pragnells offer valuations on watches, I get them for free on the watches I have purchased off them. If your on Bond St, and not buying from the Patek Salon, then surely make the appointment with them and get it done there?
    Congrats on the watch.

Craftsman

PP

Thank you - It is coming from the PP boutique - perhaps they may even do a valuation for replacement value, although I wouldn't have thought that would be likely.

Craftsman
    I think they'll know the situation well enough to advise. Or maybe be able to inform you of someone who can do a valuation on it for you.

Managed to visit the Salon just over two weeks ago, such a lovely place to see. Sadly no 5167A on display at the time, still not seen one in person after being on the list for many years.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Siysiy View Post
    Thank you - It is coming from the PP boutique - perhaps they may even do a valuation for replacement value, although I wouldn't have thought that would be likely.
    I once asked the salon guys exactly this after a purchase from their New Bond Street store and, unsurprisingly, they don't and won't offer an inflated replacement valuation.

RRP on this watch is just under 42.3k; Chrono is suggesting they're worth 64k (typically 20%+ over reality) and auction is seeing them sold in unworn condition - ie yours - at just under 50k.

The difference in retail cost versus replacement cost at auction is therefore relatively marginal so I wouldn't bother. It's not like the madness of Spring 2022 when Pateks and Rolex were trading at crazy money. Those days are long gone, IMO.

Nice watch BTW. I have the chrono version.

Craftsman

pp

Thanks all for the input... and yes I tend to agree that the overall value is maybe circa 10k over list - should I ever need to replace it. I just wanted to be safe... am not expecting for 1 second that the boutique could give any valuation other than rrp.

Thanks for the good wishes... after a loooooooong wait, I am very excited !

Blog Entries
    I find Bootles AD at the Royal Exchange (Bank station) very approachable - try them for some advice.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); Yesterday at 18:12.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

First step, ask your insurance company whose valuation they will accept. No point otherwise.

Master
    Don’t policies exist that will replace ‘like for life’ if the watch is still in production? I had a sub stolen (massive difference in value) and the insurance company just arranged for me to collect another one from an AD after a couple of months wait. I understand it may be different with high end watches…