closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New releases - random chat

Master

New releases - random chat

I don’t know if this will take off, but maybe there should be a thread for discussion of assorted random new releases? The watches that turn up daily on the ‘All Watch News’ app, which might not merit a whole thread of their own, but would still be interesting to discuss. There is of course a GS new releases thread which is fine, but there isn’t one for other brands.

Please feel free to post links / pictures / thoughts about any new releases here if you think that’s a good idea - and save me from the embarrassment of watching the thread die after one post, and sink without a trace.

To get the ball (possibly?) rolling, Zenith have released a 36mm Defy, slightly annoyingly aimed squarely at women.
    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/zenith-...-36mm-watches/

This means they’ve joined all the other brands in having a choice between too large and too small, in my opinion at least. The men’s one is intriguing but quite chunky, though I suppose it may fit everyone else. This 36mm is interesting though - it should be quite similar to a 14790ST Royal Oak, or even the new 37mm Royal Oak, except with an Ingenieur style bracelet, which is a pretty good recipe. If only it had been a couple of mm larger it would be a great mid-size. Thoughts?

In other news, I reckon Seiko have done a pretty good job of ruining an SLA017 with the new SLA065. Apparently the dial is something to do with marine archeology and is based on a 4th Century astrolabe, as you might find in a shipwreck. The shipwreck part certainly rings true. Or maybe train wreck.
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/watc...rospex-sla065/

Meanwhile Tag Heuer have released (another) 39mm panda chrono with Heuer branding. Always nice but am I the only one feeling, been there, done that?
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ta...th-anniversary

Good idea for a thread IMO
    I like the Seiko, not normally a fan of fussy dial texture but that looks quite nice to me
    I agree the Heuer looks as if it has been done before, nice but looks like the previous releases.

As an Android user I'd very much welcome this. I really miss the Watchville app. All Watch News is Apple only.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Master
    Was just looking at that Seiko.
    I think it looks too close to the more recent 62mas reissue… ok it’s 8L35 instead of the SPB 6R35, but it looks almost identical.
    I like it, but I don’t see how it would fit into my collection so well, given I have the 55th anniversary SPB.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    As an Android user I'd very much welcome this. I really miss the Watchville app. All Watch News is Apple only.

You can try the Watchicity app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I don’t know if this will take off, but maybe there should be a thread for discussion of assorted random new releases? The watches that turn up daily on the ‘All Watch News’ app, which might not merit a whole thread of their own, but would still be interesting to discuss. There is of course a GS new releases thread which is fine, but there isn’t one for other brands.

Please feel free to post links / pictures / thoughts about any new releases here if you think that’s a good idea - and save me from the embarrassment of watching the thread die after one post, and sink without a trace.

To get the ball (possibly?) rolling, Zenith have released a 36mm Defy, slightly annoyingly aimed squarely at women.

This means they’ve joined all the other brands in having a choice between too large and too small, in my opinion at least. The men’s one is intriguing but quite chunky, though I suppose it may fit everyone else. This 36mm is interesting though - it should be quite similar to a 14790ST Royal Oak, or even the new 37mm Royal Oak, except with an Ingenieur style bracelet, which is a pretty good recipe. If only it had been a couple of mm larger it would be a great mid-size. Thoughts?

In other news, I reckon Seiko have done a pretty good job of ruining an SLA017 with the new SLA065. Apparently the dial is something to do with marine archeology and is based on a 4th Century astrolabe, as you might find in a shipwreck. The shipwreck part certainly rings true. Or maybe train wreck.

Meanwhile Tag Heuer have released (another) 39mm panda chrono with Heuer branding. Always nice but am I the only one feeling, been there, done that?

Absolutely love the anniversary carrera. Heist did a great job on this one!

Master
    I’d happily own that Seiko. Each to their own I guess. I tried the full size version of the Zenith, and to me it was spot on. The 36 would be too small for me.
    On a side note, thanks for the heads up on All Watch News. I’ve been at a loss since Watchville was pulled!

Master
    What about a new solar powered tag Heuer?

Looks a bit like the Bamford edition they did a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    You can try the Watchicity app

Excellent thanks!

Craftsman

I do like the Tag re-editions but I’m starting to get the feeling of deja vu with a lot of their watches. They seem to have also rinsed every possible combo in the Monaco range. I shouldn’t really protest though as my 2010 SILVERSTONE is also a re-edition but at least it stayed true to the original

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post

I was about to start a thread on this. I think it looks good. The new Aquaracer is a great size at 40mm wide and 11mm thick, add in the titanium case and it seems like good value compared to previous solargraph releases. At first look the £2500 looks a little steep but the Pelagos 39mm is almost £4k now so maybe not that bad.
    I might have to have a look in my local Tag store soon.

Great idea and agree on all fronts regarding the releases you’ve highlighted. I’d also add that the price of the TAG is quite shocking. It looks quite like the carrera calibre 18, which granted didn’t have an in-house movement but was nearly half the price

I think this is a good idea, in the black DLC it looks really funky lumed carbon bezel, bi colour lume, cool fully lumed second hand. (I really like lume) The trouble is Citizen have been doing it for a while and they are a hell of a lot cheaper. (and most have good lume)

Blog Entries
    Zenith defy skyline new skeleton edition released today. https://shop.zenith-watches.com/pub/...20_79.I001.pdf

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

... In other news, I reckon Seiko have done a pretty good job of ruining an SLA017 with the new SLA065. Apparently the dial is something to do with marine archeology and is based on a 4th Century astrolabe, as you might find in a shipwreck. The shipwreck part certainly rings true. Or maybe train wreck.

Nice idea for a thread

As to the Seiko - these 62MAS 'reinterpretations' really vex me.

The 62MAS (and Seiko's own modern recreations SLA017, SLA043, &c &c) has a unique set of proportions that yield one of the best-looking diver's watches ever made. The symmetry of the dial, and the exact shape and proportions of its indices are where the magic lies.

These accursed 'reinterpretations' bin all that makes the 62MAS great and end-up looking incredibly bland and generic.

To me this is classic corporate Seiko: forever missing the point and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...
    Last edited by earlofsodbury; 13th January 2023 at 16:06. Reason: Lack of proofreading!

Not a huge Tag Fan but I quite like the look of this

Master
    Agreed that the Tag looks like one of their better efforts. Solar is underrated, not worrying about batteries is a major bonus on a quartz. And is a 12 sided bezel the new trend? Also seen on the Zenith…

Meanwhile have Audemars Piguet been borrowing ideas from Grand Seiko? I’m feeling a distinct Snowflake / Omiwatari influence on these ‘dimpled dials’.
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/au...w-dimpled-dial

Last edited by Itsguy; 12th January 2023 at 13:51.

That Zenith Defy Skyline Skeleton looks awesome. No doubt pricey though.

The solar Tag is quite eye catching too.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    That Zenith Defy Skyline Skeleton looks awesome. No doubt pricey though.
    £9,700.

Good idea for a thread, OP.
    I tried on the larger sized Defy a few weeks back. Absolutely stunning. Totally surprised myself with how much I loved it.
    Try it on - it may not be as chunky as you think. I thought it was a great size.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Nice idea for a thread

The 62MAS (and Seiko's own modern recreations SLA017, SLA043, &c &c) has a unique set of proportions that yield one of the best-looking diver's watches ever made. The symmetry of the dial, and the exact shape and proportions of its indices are where the magic lies.

These accursed 'reinterpretations' bin all that makes the 62MAS great and end-up looking incredibly bland and generic.

To me this is classic corporate Seiko: forever missing the point and snatching defeat from the jaws of defeat...
    Agreed. Why not make a 1:1 exact remake of the 62mas.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I think this is a good idea, in the black DLC it looks really funky lumed carbon bezel, bi colour lume, cool fully lumed second hand. (I really like lume) The trouble is Citizen have been doing it for a while and they are a hell of a lot cheaper. (and most have good lume)
    Just checked that model out and it’s rather funky.
    Have to say both the titanium ones and the carbon bezel model look really good. Could be tempted by one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Nice idea for a thread

To me this is classic corporate Seiko: forever missing the point and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...
    I agree to an extent. The modern interpretations are good idea I think though, some modern twists on a design classic. Plus the bonus of the SPBs being £750-1100 sort of range, rather than the SLAs at £4k+. But I don’t see where this sits, significantly cheaper than the SLAs, with the same movement (bar the hi-beat obviously), but with the look of the cheaper model. Not sure what the point is?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Don't care. Under 40mm. Panda. Auto. No date. Good proportions. Still tempting - apart from the outrageous price of course.

I like the Seiko.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Really like the look of the titanium aquaracer - would be very interested to hear any hands-on thoughts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Don't care. Under 40mm. Panda. Auto. No date. Good proportions. Still tempting - apart from the outrageous price of course.
    Same here - it may have been similarly done before, but so too every Speedie special edition. If it ain't broke... Reissue or not, I do think that's very nice.

Blog Entries

New releases - random chat

Quote Originally Posted by Jack83 View Post
    Really like the look of the titanium aquaracer - would be very interested to hear any hands-on thoughts.
    I’ve seen a solar titanium they’ have just released - interesting . It’s a first from them in the solar department but is it pricey for what equates to a Swiss modified citizen eco solar drive ?

It’s grand seiko 9F quartz territory at the price Tag are putting it at.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/tag-heu...h-in-titanium/
    Last edited by bond; 19th January 2023 at 11:12.

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    I’ve seen a solar titanium they’ have just released - interesting . It’s a first from them in the solar department but is it pricey for what equates to a Swiss modified citizen eco solar drive ?

It’s grand seiko 9F quartz territory at the price Tag are putting it at.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/tag-heu...h-in-titanium/
    Yep, hard to argue with that. I suspect whoever buys new will take a hit on resale, so I’ll just goal hang SC and see what comes up!

Master
    I think someone has spiked my drink… or can you see it too?

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/s...olling-stones/

I think someone has spiked my drink… or can you see it too?

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/s...olling-stones/
    Three guitars and no bass

Zenith have just released a red dial version, as a follow up to last year’s brown dial boutique only release.

https://www.zenith-watches.com/en_gb...m_medium=email

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Zenith have just released a red dial version, as a follow up to last year’s brown dial boutique only release.

https://www.zenith-watches.com/en_gb...m_medium=email
    Nice but if someone bought that instead of the cheaper Chronomaster Original that's on SC currently I would personally make it a mission to send them to Specsavers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack83 View Post
    I tried one on today and really liked it. Great proportions, really light and thin which is something I personally like. It quite grey as most titanium watches are. It's definitely a contender for my next bigger watch purchase

It was also nice to walk into a shop and ask to try on a model and find that 1)they had the watch to try and 2) it was also available to buy

Ive been waiting to try the 39mm Pelagos for ages but its never available. That watch is also almost £4k now so £2.5k for the Tag

Tried on the E3 42mm connected too and really liked that, just not sure I can spend that much on a smartwatch. New titanium version of that out now too but they didn't have that model in yet.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I really like the look of that recently announced circuit board g-shock square. It’s a shame it’s titanium, which probably means it will be about £1200; which is silly money for a G-shock. Even a really cool one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    I tried one on today and really liked it. Great proportions, really light and thin which is something I personally like. It quite grey as most titanium watches are. It's definitely a contender for my next bigger watch purchase

It was also nice to walk into a shop and ask to try on a model and find that 1)they had the watch to try and 2) it was also available to buy

Ive been waiting to try the 39mm Pelagos for ages but its never available. That watch is also almost £4k now so £2.5k for the Tag

Tried on the E3 42mm connected too and really liked that, just not sure I can spend that much on a smartwatch. New titanium version of that out now too but they didn't have that model in yet.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    2.5... if you can get it for that, it's a bargain...best I was offered so far was 2950...

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    2.5... if you can get it for that, it's a bargain...best I was offered so far was 2950...
    £2,550 seems to be the RRP

https://www.tagheuer.com/gb/en/timep...80.BF0000.html

Craftsman
    My mistake...I was thinking of the 300 in titanium

https://www.tagheuer.com/gb/en/timep...8B.BF0631.html

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    If someone buys that instead of a Grand Seiko 9f quartz they are off their t*ts.

IMHO of course

I’ve got a 9F GMT and I paid less than the RRP on this, but I don’t have an all titanium watch of that… actually wait, I’ve got a Citizen Ray Mears, and a Seiko titanium diver, neither of which I’ve worn for over a year, ok - I definitely don’t want this watch…

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    If someone buys that instead of a Grand Seiko 9f quartz they are off their t*ts.

IMHO of course
    I would tend to agree.

That said, I sent a GS 9F back a few weeks ago as the AD sent me a unit labelled March 2020. >90% through the expected battery life on arrival, cheeky buggers. Wouldn't be an issue with the Tag!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Nice but if someone bought that instead of the cheaper Chronomaster Original that's on SC currently I would personally make it a mission to send them to Specsavers
    Totally agree, all tastes are different but thats a challenging version of an already challenging watch that wasn't exactly a classic.

Zenith could and should be revisiting some of their stuff from more recent times rather than sticking to the 70s. An updated rainbow flyback or mango would have me paying retail.

Master
    Oh my… Not new releases exactly, but perfect restorations by the manufacturer, which might include recreating parts. No mention of the price, but presumably ‘If you have to ask’…

https://monochrome-watches.com/news-...-rare-watches/

And a few others too.

Last edited by Itsguy; 25th January 2023 at 10:21.

Master

Not sure I would buy one but quite like the look of the TAG - probably because it reminds me so much of this Ti Seamaster.

I really like those 1970s(?) block-like cases...the JLC caught my eye immediately. Really nice.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    The new synchron Poseidon! I’m and seriously tempted to get this! Just looks really good to me!

Ahh can’t decided to pull the trigger or not!!!

https://synchronusa.com/synchron-poseidon/

Oh my, those 70’s JLC’s.

I’d love to buy a Jaeger but nothing in their current range does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    The new synchron Poseidon! I’m and seriously tempted to get this! Just looks really good to me!

Great price!

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Great price!

The price isn’t too bad, all things considered. Presumably it’s made in China somewhere, given no claims to the contrary. Looks good too, though the predecessor without the dive company logo looks better to me.

Also, like that predecessor, is it 300m or 666ft? It's Synchron USA so maybe they are having problems with the metric system. And the new movement has a decent power reserve, but then it should have, apparently beating at a leisurely 24bph…

Nice watch, but hope they take more care over its creation than the website.

That’s rather nice, my Synchron Military is one of favourite most worn watches. The build quality and looks are great. The movement modification on this one are interesting. Not sure there is space for both in my collection but if I didn’t have the Military I would be very tempted.

Those JLC also look lovely, JLC do a reissue rather well.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 28th January 2023 at 11:04.

Looks like they've sold all 1000