closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Constellation ID Help, please

Journeyman

Omega Constellation ID Help, please

A question for the more experienced here, particularly with an eye towards vintage.

Someone shared some photos of an Omega Constellation piepan on FB.

Based on the photos I think that it's a gold capped ref 2852, What catch my eye in support of the 2852 ID are, curved lugs rather dogleg, the lug length, the octagonal crown and the 2-tone caseback.

Now I am basing that ID on photos taken via a potato, of what may well be a very poor condition watch. I am hoping that the condition of the case back, points to a scuffed crystal rather than a ruined dial.

Anyone with a better eye? Please, jump in and steer me straight on what this might be, I'd also appreciate a steer on what a fair offer might be for this one.

Grand Master
    Assuming you're considering buying the watch, I`ll give a word of advice.....Don't!

The watch is a scruffy example that's obviously led a very hard life, little wonder considering the age (1950s). The gold capping is badly worn on the lugs, the dial's heavily aged, I can`t see anything remotely attractive about the watch. If it was steel it might be a better proposition, but heavily worn gold-capped watches are best avoided in my opinion. See the wear-through on the top left lug in the pic and you'll see what I mean.

If you wish to buy a vintage Constellation do yourself a huge favour and buy a top-notch example, the best you can afford. Trying to buy bargain vintage Omegas usually ends badly. Be sure to handle the watch before committing.

By coincidence I have a very similar example on my workbench at the moment that's in better condition, it has sentimental value to the woner so it's worth restoring.

Can only agree with Paul.

The dial is the most important part of the watch to me and that looks badly aged.

The wear through of the gold capping shows the hard life as they are usually 80 micro's thick IIRC.

I'd look for something far better but you will have to pay some decent money.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Assuming you're considering buying the watch, I`ll give a word of advice.....Don't!

The watch is a scruffy example that's obviously led a very hard life, little wonder considering the age (1950s). The gold capping is badly worn on the lugs, the dial's heavily aged, I can`t see anything remotely attractive about the watch. If it was steel it might be a better proposition, but heavily worn gold-capped watches are best avoided in my opinion. See the wear-through on the top left lug in the pic and you'll see what I mean.

If you wish to buy a vintage Constellation do yourself a huge favour and buy a top-notch example, the best you can afford. Trying to buy bargain vintage Omegas usually ends badly. Be sure to handle the watch before committing.

By coincidence I have a very similar example on my workbench at the moment that's in better condition, it has sentimental value to the woner so it's worth restoring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Can only agree with Paul.

The dial is the most important part of the watch to me and that looks badly aged.

The wear through of the gold capping shows the hard life as they are usually 80 micro's thick IIRC.

I'd look for something far better but you will have to pay some decent money.
    Thanks for the tips and I agree with you both. The only possible sway I'd have is if when/if I see it in person that the dial is in good condition.
    I seriously doubt it would be, and agree that the case and crystal are very strong indicators of it having had a hard life.
    Also agree with you both that buying a good example is a far safer bet than buying a fixer-upper.

Was my ID of it as a 2852 in the right ballpark?

Grand Master
    The one on my bench is a 2782 but looks v. similar. Mine has a bumper movement cal 354 and dates from 1953, one of the first Constellations but doesn`t have a pie-pan dial.

Not sure whether the any bumper movement versions had pie-pan dials, but the one the OP's featured could be a later cal 500 which used the same case design with a snap-back.

I`m always wary of anything that pre-dates the cal 550/560 watches, parts are difficult to obtain and the movements aren't as robust, particularly the 500s. Bumpers are generally OK but broken parts are hard to source thesedays.

Dial condition is paramount when buying, and if the watch is gold capped or gold-filled the condition of the gold is v. important particularly around the lugs. Not sure about the original gold thickness, I`ve heard figures of 200 microns quoted, far better than gold plate which is usually 20 microns, but regardless of the original thickness it's the degree of wear that counts. A tiny bit of wear-through on the very tips of the lugs is acceptable but I`d avoid anything heavier.