closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally, fully and fantastically Poguetastic

Finally, fully and fantastically Poguetastic

I've always had a soft spot for Seikos 6139-6000 series of chronographs and I've owned a yellow and blue example for some years, always keeping an eye open for a silver one. Well some time ago I gave up the search thinking I'll never find one. I don't know what I was thinking but I then decided to sell my last blue dialled 6139 and just keep my yellow dialled archetypal "Pogue". Typically, a couple of weeks later I found a stonking silver dialled example and promptly bought it. I thought sourcing another decent blue dialled one wouldn't be too hard but how wrong could I be! A while ago Bob sent me his blue dialled example for a health check and I sent it back saying "if you ever move it on" not expecting he would be doing so any time soon. Well he's now moved it on and not only that he remembered my words! So now I'm the owner of of one of the nicest blue dialled 6139's I've seen, which neatly completes my set of Silver Gold and Blue.

They are all later models sans depth rating and proof or resist on the dial which is more by good luck than good management!

There is a fourth model that was only sold in the Australasian market that had a gold dial and black inner rotating bezel and these are quite difficult to find, when you do you can usually never be 100% sure whether a faded yellow bezel has been swapped out at some point, or whether it's genuine. I do have one of these awaiting restoration, I bought it from the original owner down in OZ so I'm as confident as I can be it's pukka.

All I have to do now get it sorted, I have all the parts, as usual it's the time I'm lacking.
    Last edited by Thewatchbloke; 18th November 2014 at 17:39. Reason: Typo!

Lovely set Duncan...... Congrats :-)

Got to be honest.I have seen this model before and they haven't really caught my attention but your post has got me very interested.What a lovely collection

I have a couple of gaps to fill in the watch box so this could be the way forward.

The Oz version is really nice Duncan.

Lovely set and some great pics. Really like the silver dial version but I'll stick with my yellow one I think.

Master
    A gorgeous set, I've always liked the chronograph models.
    Enjoy.

It's extremely rare to see a full set - well done.

The gold dialled Pogue was the watch that got me started on this obsession, and is one which I will probably never part with. It's just a shame that there are so many Frankens out there.

What an absolutely gorgeous set of Seikos. Nice wok, Duncan!

Lovely trio - I'd quite like just one!

That really is Poguetastic Duncan!

Great to see them

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    What an absolutely gorgeous set of Seikos. Nice wok, Duncan!
    I'm not quite sure where the Chinese cooking implement fits in, but he's right about the Seikos!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    It's extremely rare to see a full set - well done.

The gold dialled Pogue was the watch that got me started on this obsession, and is one which I will probably never part with. It's just a shame that there are so many Frankens out there.
    Like you it was this model that got me started on this crazy passion.

I remember hassling my Mother to buy me the yellow dial 6139 from her club book back in the 70's.

Unfortunately, like most watches that I get, I moved it on, many years later after seeing one on the forum, I got the urge to add one to my collection, which I did a couple of years ago, all the way from the USA, the only difference between my original and the one that I have got now is that it says "Water70m Proof" on the dial :)

Congratulations, Duncan that is one superb collection of 6139's

Like you my replacement, see above post, will always hold a special place in my heart :)

Could you advise me, please, on the best place to get it serviced and especially have it pressured tested?

Mine, sometimes, lets a bit of moisture in, when I go from a warm to colder environment and i don't know whether it's getting in through the crown, pushers or the back case.

Lovely set, well done for finding the silver one.

Master
    Loving the yellow & gold ones.

Master
    Great set.

Love the silver one - not seen one before.

What a lovely set. I know the yellow version is the one that normally gathers the most attention, but the other two are just lovely. I think the silver is my favourite.

Thanks for the great photos.

Excellent gathering of Pogues Duncan! I wonder what the collective noun for Seiko Pogues is.... answers on a post-card please. My offerring is "a mahone".

Collectors and little write-ups like this is why I love TZ-UK... :)

-flugzeit

Master
    Looks good Duncan ! My loss is your gain, but I enjoyed owning it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice collection Duncan , thanks for the write up, very informative.Mike

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    What a nice set Mr Hewitt.......very nice indeed in fact. JEALOUS.....me ....yes just a bit.

Wow! What a fab set.
    I've only ever seen the yellow before and it never really did it for me BUT those silver, blue and gold ones are brilliant!
    I'm so glad I've started getting into Seikos more as the more I look the more I like.....

Fantastic set Duncan. I owned a nice blue one in the past, but I must try to get hold of the yellow one (the actual 'Pogue', strictly speaking) some day.

Well done that man, a wonderful set you've assembled there. Congrats

Master
    Great set Duncan. I don't know much about the 6139's but they are growing on me. I've seen a few Speedtimer recently which looked rather good...

That's a fantastic set. Well done.
    I have a yellow/gold dial one lying somewhere but haven't worn it once. Seems little small to me. Doubt if it can add to your collection since you already have a full set but if you want can send it to you as atlesst it will get to be with someone who appreciates it more.

Great set. Never knew about the OZ model, you learn something every day.

Lovely set Duncan.

I've owned all those over time but just kept my very rare Australian market model.

It was pretty mint when I got it from the original owner and still has the case graining.

They have a differently styled bracelet too as can be seen in the pic.

Cheers,
    Neil.

They also have "Chronograph" under the Seiko logo, as does the silver version it shares the bracelet with. I was hoping yours would make an appearance Neil.

Apprentice
    Omg forgive me while I wipe up the drool lol wow congratulations!!!!!!

Master
    Beautiful watches all. And nice to see the full set!

I have the gold Pogue myself and it's definitely a keeper, there perfect sunny summer day watch :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    All I have to do now get it sorted, I have all the parts, as usual it's the time I'm lacking.
    The problem is you spend so much time servicing and repairing other peoples Seiko's! (mostly mine lately. )

Master

Can't compete with the condition or photos, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad...

That's a lovely complete collection you've got yourself Duncan, the silver one is the one I can't find myself to complete my collection. All you need next is the 6139 603x Speed-Timer one:

Though mine's not on the original bracelet, not managed to track one of those down yet.

I'm stopping at the four pogues, there's far to many speedtimers, pulstations and what not - I'd be bankrupt tracking that lot down!

I always see these and think seiko should make better use of their back catalogue.

A re-issue of these would surely sell? Likewise their iconic divers.

I've always had a soft spot for Seikos 6139-6000 series of chronographs and I've owned a yellow and blue example for some years, always keeping an eye open for a silver one. Well some time ago I gave up the search thinking I'll never find one. I don't know what I was thinking but I then decided to sell my last blue dialled 6139 and just keep my yellow dialled archetypal "Pogue". Typically, a couple of weeks later I found a stonking silver dialled example and promptly bought it. I thought sourcing another decent blue dialled one wouldn't be too hard but how wrong could I be! A while ago Bob sent me his blue dialled example for a health check and I sent it back saying "if you ever move it on" not expecting he would be doing so any time soon. Well he's now moved it on and not only that he remembered my words! So now I'm the owner of of one of the nicest blue dialled 6139's I've seen, which neatly completes my set of Silver Gold and Blue.

They are all later models sans depth rating and proof or resist on the dial which is more by good luck than good management!

There is a fourth model that was only sold in the Australasian market that had a gold dial and black inner rotating bezel and these are quite difficult to find, when you do you can usually never be 100% sure whether a faded yellow bezel has been swapped out at some point, or whether it's genuine. I do have one of these awaiting restoration, I bought it from the original owner down in OZ so I'm as confident as I can be it's pukka.

Nice story and beautiful chronos Duncan! Cheers

I used to own a nice collection of 6000 series Seiko 6139's so this collection does bring back happy memories. They still look great today.

Master
    Blog Entries
    These are stunning Duncan. Thank you for sharing.

Spookily i stumbled across my own yellow faced variant and am looking to get it setviced and on the wrist. Ive owned it since early 70s as tge original and only owner. I even have the 'squishy' blue plastic seiko box and inst booklet.

Can you advise on where i could have my one serviced please. Thank you.

Youve brought a smile to my face!!

Jim

You've got a cracking set Dunc, but then I've told you that before

Silver dial all the way for me.

David

Simply outstanding!

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous set, been after a blue dial for some time now , seeing those pictures just set off on a renewed hunt.

In real time application the problem with the Pogue is the silver hands on gold face can be hard to read at a glance.

Master
    Bit of a thread resurrection, what do you guys think of this?

Took a punt on it on eBay last year and it has been sat in the bottom of the watch box ever since.
    Was hoping Cannop might be interested in giving it the once over for me?

Lovely watches.Bought this one after seeing Cannops thread

Sold it but bought another one with the black dial.

Master
    Im guessing mine has had the sub dial and chronograph seconds hand painted or replaced at some point, every picture I've seen of these seem to have red hands. Currently bidding on a replacement bracelet for it on eBay as the current one is quite stretched, also the chronograph doesn't reset as it should, usually takes 2 pushes to get it back where it should be.
    Looking forward to getting it sorted and start wearing it

Master
    Great set and lovely to see a collection put together with such enthusiasm.

Wel jel!

I bought a gold as one of the first that got me chasing watches, as I loved the look and history of the pogue, then took it apart to renovate it and ruined the dial, Doh. Now I have another two golds, a blue and a black in parts, maybe after seeing this I might get my arse in gear and get them fixed, oh and look for a silver