closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Favored by the RAF?

Craftsman

Favored by the RAF?

As a matter of personal interest, would any of you be familiar with what watches are currently popular with RAF pilots?

Thank you.

Interesting question, I suspect fighter pilots are too busy to use watches and will rely on computers.

Here are a few of the watches used in the past in rough chronological order, starting with RFC, to seventies -

Lovely collection David :)

Sanjay

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Very nice, not an ugly watch in sight.

Master
    I'd say something like this:

(photo from Chronomaster). I.e. a B2, supposedly an issued RAF watch.

Or this original Precista navigator (again from Chronomaster):

My vote would be for the Precista, as it is highly legible and has a bidirectional 12-hour bezel that can be used to indicate UTC ('zulu') time but can also be used to mark time limits, take-off time or the planned time of arrival at a certain point. I'm still waiting for Eddie to produce a new version of this model, which is close to the PRS-18Q but with a different bezel (the clincher for use in the air is being bidirectional, as everything happens far too quick to allow for rotating a diving bezel against the clock for most of a whole revolution, which usually takes several partial turns).

An airforce of course does not only have fighter pilots, there are also bombers, transport planes and helicopters (and choppers are often part of army units, not airforce). The faster and lower one flies, the less time there is to look at a watch, so yes, I'd guess modern fighter jocks will mostly rely on their on-board computers once in the air. I imagine they may have a constant time display in their HUD or helmet visor display.

As for personally bought, non-issued watches: military pilots are usually not rich, so if they have other financial obligations like house, wife, kids etc. they will probably not keep collections of super-expensive watches around.

Craftsman
    Thank you gentlemen. All beautiful watches and I appreciate your assistance.

Hate to dissapoint you but short of the odd one with a Breitling most have cheap Casio type of watch or the issued Seiko, Pulsar chronos or the CWC and Pulsar G10s.

Like you all said no real nead for a watch as all is on the on board computer on the instrument panel.

Regards

Peter (Nimrod)

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod
    Hate to dissapoint you but short of the odd one with a Breitling most have cheap Casio type of watch or the issued Seiko, Pulsar chronos or the CWC and Pulsar G10s.

Like you all said no real nead for a watch as all is on the on board computer on the instrument panel.

Regards

Peter (Nimrod)
    Many of the USAF, USMC, and USN pilots I have seen around have sported G-Shocks of Ironman watches. Some have had Unit specific watches that they had made with their Squadron Patch from Chase but most have big ugly multi-purpose quartz watches on.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by docrwm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod

Regards

Peter (Nimrod)
    Many of the USAF, USMC, and USN pilots I have seen around have sported G-Shocks of Ironman watches. Some have had Unit specific watches that they had made with their Squadron Patch from Chase but most have big ugly multi-purpose quartz watches on.
    Thanks but my interest is in the RAF only.