closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: He did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

He did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Chestnut smashes world record, beats Kobayashii for title

NEW YORK -- Joey Chestnut won the Nathan's Famous hot dog eating contest, edging six-time champion Takeru Kobayashi 66-63 as both men smashed the event and world records in the process.

Kobayashi, who was said to be suffering from jaw soreness, came from six dogs back early to close the gap with a few minutes to go.

But Chestnut, who set a blistering place early, held on and brought the mustard yellow championship belt back to the U.S.

Kobayashi held the previous event record of 59― hot dogs and buns in 12 minutes.

Nice job Joey! :thumbright:

Presumably, this contest is swiftly followed by an attempt at the World 'Look How Much I Can Puke' Record? :pukeleft:

Those two probably ate more than was available to the entire population of Ethiopia that day, how disgusting.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman

Re: He did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ticktock
    But Chestnut, who set a blistering place early, held on and brought the mustard yellow championship belt back to the U.S.

Nice job Joey! :thumbright:
    Thank God the US has regained such an important title in the sport of gluttony. Once more showing the world how to behave like a pig.

Lighten up for Coney Island's sake. :nike:

Those two probably ate more than was available to the entire population of Ethiopia that day, how disgusting.
    What a sick world...

I wonder what he would think...

That makes me vomit.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

I have to agree with Eddie and mr1973 on this. I've never understood why this stupid and disgusting eating contest (or any eating contest for that matter) makes the news. Our local news carried the story last night as well. Doesn't exactly make me feel proud to be an American.

Rick

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ticktock
    Lighten up for Coney Island's sake. :nike:
    Sorry, I really wish that I could but in a world where tens of thousands starve to death needlessly each day and where food is often used as a political chess piece or a weapon I am really not too concerned about the effects on a rather worn out amusement facility. :(

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rickf
    I have to agree with Eddie and mr1973 on this. I've never understood why this stupid and disgusting eating contest (or any eating contest for that matter) makes the news. Our local news carried the story last night as well. Doesn't exactly make me feel proud to be an American.

Rick
    So true Rick. Such press only points out the abhorrent wastefulness present in the US.

...not only in the US Mike. Thatīs a worldwide phenomenon...

Perhaps the western world should try to hide food in tanks, missile launchers and AK-47 guns. Thatīs the only way it would reach those poor bastards.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    ...not only in the US Mike. Thatīs a worldwide phenomenon...

Perhaps the western world should try to hide food in tanks, missile launchers and AK-47 guns. Thatīs the only way it would reach those poor bastards.
    Not so far fetched an idea. When I was in Somalia Aidid's militia were confiscating UN food shipments and selling them for arms.

Master
    I never knew a hot dog eating contest would inspire such social commentary.

I have to say my 'take' on this subject has changed quite a lot in the last 15 or so years.

Prior to 1990 I had never experienced the 'third world', despite quite a lot of business travel. Then a chance trip to West Africa exposed me to both dire poverty and true humanity. Since then I've become involved in several projects in Africa (and Egypt) and through visits have learnt so much more about 'life' in the broadest sense.

So, competitions of excessive indulgence, which were originally of no relevence to me, subsequently generated feelings of outrage as I saw real hunger, but now I actually see them more as an indulgence of what I think of as the 'I can, so I will' aspect of human nature.

Yes, a competition to see who can eat the most is a conspicuous waste of food, but I have also seen 'waste' in some very poor places too; Senegal, The Gambia, Mali, for example. Visit a wedding, a holiday or religious festival (or even a funeral) and you can see food being consumed excessively - and by the very people who can ill afford to do so.

My belief is that there are times when we simply want to 'have fun' and enjoy things without too much consideration to cost - and we humans do it in not-too-different ways sometimes.

Just my tuppence (or 'twobob' as the say in The Gambia!).
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Grath
    I never knew a hot dog eating contest would inspire such social commentary.

Nor did I. :?

God Bless all of the hungary people of the world and I wish they all would be fed and never go hungary again. I am sure there is more the US and other countries could do to help, but a hot dog eating contest isn't the root cause of it all. My intent of this post was purely for entertainment purposes only. :)

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    Hard to believe this little guy can pack away 63 hot dogs.

As to the big tomato fight thing in Spain, all I can say is crazy Spaniards. (I wonder who cleans up all that mess?)

Didn't mean to pile on you about this ticktock, I understand it was intended for entertainment. I don't normally perform any soapbox-standing. This just caught me at an unusually contemplative, socially aware and morally responsible moment. I'm sure it won't happen again. :wink:

Rick