closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega 6B/159 calibre 30T2

Omega 6B/159 calibre 30T2

Hi i've been offered the below for sale and having no idea what-so-ever did a bit of research and cannot really come to a price this would be worth (there's all sorts in all sorts of conditions)
    the seller is a friend of mine and I don't want to over pay nor under pay ...

the screw-down back is marked 'A.M 6B/159 3xxx/59'

movement number dates movement to 1943 - 30t2 were used from '42 onwards

so wondering what you guys think the market value is - honestly this is for sale with a friend and we want to be ok with eachother and not under not over pay as its not cricket either way.

cheers - pm me if you want I check quite often

What you have here is a "1956 6B/159 recase". I'd venture a guess that the serial number on the back is actually 3xxx/56 as I'm unaware of any of these being issued in 1959, although I freely admit I am not an expert!

Basically these Omegas started life in the 1940's with a light coloured face and black or blued(?) hands. In 1956 a whole pile of them were stripped down by a government contractor and had their movements put into somewhat larger cases. At the same time the dial was repainted black and the hands covered with white luminous compound. My understanding is that this was not done without Omega's knowledge, involvement, or blessing. So you could think of them as an "officially supplied frankenwatch" if you like. :)

Some good info here: http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...6b-159-Watches

I'm sure someone with more details will be along shortly, but that's how I understand it...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    They hovered around £350 for ages, but now I suspect that a fair price would be about 5 -600. The '56s have always seemed to be about the same price as the Smiths W10, so have a look at them. As a long term investment, they are a fairly rare but well understood version of the 6b/159 spec so I suspect prices will continue to head upwards steadily.

There was a thread on the earlier versions which these were re-cased from just the other week.

thanks guys indeed the number is 3xxx/56 my mistake - typo

Interesting to read they are official franken versions of the earlier 40s model which I actually prefer the look of, they do look redialed by a third party, only I still find them a bit small but on a nice bund could be quite useable.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the dial is the same - it's just had spots of lume added.

The second hand is different, but that's about it. The forties version is completely usable, but I confess I have always hankered after a '56 as I like Dennison cases.

well I went for it and hope to have it soon in my hands... will post more photos when I can

these denisson cases are quite nice - inspired many future versions of similar style watches...

17mm lugs its going to be fun finding a strap - can't find any natos that are 17mm and I think an 18mm bund is on the way from ebay

Now in my posession with a bund on the way from ebay:

Hairy wrist shot - on a new bund today

Craftsman
    Nice example.

Now you'll have to get the Longines and Jaeger '56's as well .

My Longines;
    Last edited by Alphafloor; 14th November 2014 at 13:57.

oh yes indeed .... longines is divine and the Jaeger sublime...

Ball park, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you'd rather..

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    oh yes indeed .... longines is divine and the Jaeger sublime...
    Assuming divine is better than sublime, I'd say that should be the other way round, with the JLC the better watch.

As always, I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Assuming divine is better than sublime, I'd say that should be the other way round, with the JLC the better watch.

As always, I may be wrong.
    I'd like to have to have one of each to come to that conclusion but I think you're right

That is one stunning Omega.

gorgeous, thanks to the op for sharing