closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Leather Jacket Help - Mission Accomplished

Leather Jacket Help - Mission Accomplished

I've been looking for a a nice brown bomber style leather jacket for a while now without much luck. I'm looking for something simple and classic and not too expensive and wondered if there are any helpful suggestions from the experts here assuming that there are some out there
    Last edited by ichaice; 15th November 2014 at 14:37.

Master
    Need a bit more info mate, what style are you after? Schott do some nice quality ones, sometimes pop up in TK Maxx.

Have you considered vintage? Now I know a lot of people are put off by vintage, but aged, broken in leather does have an appeal over new stiff leather. Like most people, I'm squeamish about wearing other people's smelly cast-offs, but leather is surprisingly easy to wash and then treat.

Craftsman
    Orvis do some nice jackets :)
    I'd love to one the worlds finest shearling jacket they do!
    Could try holdens clothing too, they do motorbike clothing but make a very nice merino aviator jacket... They might do a bomber jacket too.
    Failing that just get a Belstaff! ;p

Craftsman
    Some nice looking Aeroleather ones pop up on eBay

Depends what you mean by 'expensive'.

Ted Baker do most things well, Men's Fashion-wise.

Their leather jackets are nice quality and contemporary and vary slightly from season to season. Between 200 and 300 pounds but perhaps a good deal to be had in a Sale or at Bicester if you time it right to get the right sizes before they (quickly) sell out.

Encourage insect-eating birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Encourage insect-eating birds.
    Excellent work sir

Craftsman
    Oh timberland do quite nice jackets too!

Master
    As said Schott and aero leathers are very nice.

Journeyman
    Schott are the classics. Depends on how much you mean by Not too expensive. They certainly aren't cheap, but not toooo expensive.

Zara for men

They do some decent gear at good prices

I'd be looking in second hand shops and market stalls if it's budget

Beware of leather jackets made in India - mine fell apart. Replaced it with a M&S 7 years ago which is still presentable. If you're not in a hurry it's only 8 weeks (ish) until the January sales when there will be lots of bargain leather jackets on offer.

dunk

+1 for Aero Leather
    I have bought 2 jackets from them in the past and the product quality and their service is 2nd to none.

I've a Burbery leather jacket, excellent quality, warm being wool lined but it makes me look like a Russian mobster. Lakeland leather always seems good quality and prices are very reasonable if buying from their outlet shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Schott do some nice quality ones, sometimes pop up in TK Maxx.
    Re Schott, it's worth mentioning that the Schott jackets available in European stores and those available in the USA are different propositions.

I won't bore you with too many details, but I was interested in buying a Schott sheepskin jacket last year.

I noticed subtle differences between two ostensibly identical jackets listed on Schott's USA website and on the UK website of a distributor. After a bunch of emails it turned out that one was made by Schott themselves in the USA whilst the other was produced in Turkey & Pakistan by a European company who made Schott-branded jackets under license (i.e. not Schott themselves).

Needless to say, after seeing for myself the quality and fabric weight of a Schott jacket bought in the USA (and having read a lot online about Schott jackets available in the USA) I don't think the Schott jackets available in places like TK Maxx are of the same level.

(This perhaps explains why the sheepskin jacket I was interested in was "£150" more expensive on Schott's US website than that of the UK distributor - this being before shipping and import duties).

That's not to say that you can't get some reasonable Schott jackets in European stores like TK Maxx, but just don't expect the same quality as jackets made by the iconic US label themselves.
    Last edited by CamCG; 4th November 2014 at 11:15.

I've owned two jackets from Gibson & Barnes and they've both been top notch. Highly recommended.

Master
    try googling hide park,have had several of their leather coats over the years and always have been pleased with them.have just bought a brown leather bomber jacket from them and the quality is excellent, price was £175..

Avirex are amongst the best quality flight jackets I have tried. I have had mine for probably 20 years now. Used to be US military suppliers. Not sure if that is still the case.

I have a couple of jackets from soul revolver (just go to their site to buy) and they've been fantastic. The quality of the leather and cut is perfect. They're a little more "italian designer" than "American aviator", if that is what you're after by any chance.

Master
    Looks good. What brand is it? Hard to read the label.

Master
    Where did you get it from in the end?

Master
    You wont go wrong with Schott.