closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Pelagos

Tudor Pelagos

It took me two years, but I finally managed to get one in front of a camera (and keyboard):

Like it alot.

Master
    Excellent photos of a very nice watch.

I have said to myself many times that I must try one of these one day. This has reminded me of that and prompted me to post a WTB. Definitely an itch that needs scratching.

Good photos, but I really feel I need to see and handle one to make a decision.

It always looks a bit, dare I say it, boring in photos...

M.

Looks fantastic ... except for that bl**dy date wheel - what were they thinking?

It would look great without a date at all, but if it must have one at least make it the same colour as the dial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Looks fantastic ... except for that bl**dy date wheel - what were they thinking?

It would look great without a date at all, but if it must have one at least make it the same colour as the dial.
    You know I really don't mind it at all. Being white, right next two the 3 hour marker, the combined size more or less matches the 9 hour marker - as I suspect it was supposed to.

I'm partially with you on that one, would have preferred a no-date version as well. But if you look at the large marker at 9 o'clock you'll notice that the small marker at 3 o'clock forms a similar shape in combination with the white date. And that's what I think they were thinking when they went for a white date wheel. But as I said, I normally prefer a no date over a date version.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Good photos,
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    Excellent photos
    Thanks!

Best regards

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Ruegger; 20th October 2014 at 12:07.

Banned
    Nice pics man. I am one of those who not maybe like date window on some watches but for me it is a must on many models, I would really miss that not from aesthetic reason but from actually not be able to know the actual date.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Ruegger View Post
    I'm partially with you on that one, would have preferred a no-date version as well. But if you look at the large marker at 9 o'clock you'll notice that the small marker at 3 o'clock forms a similar shape in combination with the white date. And that's what I think they were thinking when they went for a white date wheel. But as I said, I normally prefer a no date over a date version.

Thanks!

Best regards

Roger
    I can see that, and am sure you are right - that is what they were thinking. Nevertheless I really don't like it, and I am sure there are better solutions.

The contrasting date wheel is a particular bugbear of mine though in truth, because of the marker matching, this is one of the less bad examples of the species.

Craftsman
    Really are one of my favourite Ti divers right now.

I've seen a few photos of these now and to me the lume plots never sit square and centre with the rehaut ring. Is this really the case?

In your photos, 5, 6 and 7 o'clock look particularly bad. Is this the angle of the shot, or are they really like that?

They were thinking that a white date wheel would balance the dial, and they thought right – it does.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartC View Post
    I've seen a few photos of these now and to me the lume plots never sit square and centre with the rehaut ring. Is this really the case?

In your photos, 5, 6 and 7 o'clock look particularly bad. Is this the angle of the shot, or are they really like that?
    It's a trick of the angles of sides of the rehaut/markers. I thought with mine, but on closer examination they were spot on.

Craftsman
    Really nice piece.

One of mine:

;)

Quote Originally Posted by MartC View Post
    ... to me the lume plots never sit square and centre with the rehaut ring. Is this really the case?
    Good question. Probably yes and no. I see it rather with 7 and 8. :-) But: on the wrist they look actually quite good.

Now you've done photographing Rog send it on. There's a good chap :-)
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Now you've done photographing Rog send it on. There's a good chap :-)
    :-)

I don't like to send watches around. But will be in London this Friday and could bring it with me. Ok?

Journeyman
    Great photos, Every time I see good photos of these I want one, Luckily never seen one in the flesh, Yet !

Good photos, but I really feel I need to see and handle one to make a decision.

It always looks a bit, dare I say it, boring in photos...

M.
    That's the impression I got the couple of times I've tried it on as well.

I really want to like it. It's really well put together, but it just feels a bit stark and utilitarian for me.

Craftsman
    Definitely my most lusted after watch...saw one in an AD's window the other day and it looked lovely (first time I've seen one in the flesh, so to speak).

Master
    Loved mine and thinking back I cant find any good reason for selling :(

Still yet to see one in the flesh. I do think it looks best in the dark.

Journeyman
    There is one in the AD near St Pauls - London. I found it very unassuming next to the black bays, chronographs. Like a Stealth fighter lol!

Master
    No doubt a lovely watch but a tad too big for me. Also can't get over the hour hand, just don't like it at all.

Master
    Love mine it's my current favourite.

:-) I don't like to send watches around. But will be in London this Friday and could bring it with me. Ok?
    :-) I won't be down this Friday otherwise a meet would definitely have been in order. Enjoy the trip.
    Gray

Great photos, saw one a couple of weeks ago, the stepped dial looked fantastic, the only aspect of the design I didn't like was the lack of a raised bezel pip.
    Last edited by Lammylee; 20th October 2014 at 18:42.

Love mine Roger

I like the date. I like the austerity, it is a bold move to make something so simple in this very decorated world.
    I love the lume.

Great watch, imho.

Dave

I always had doubts about how utilitarian it looked until I saw Mr A's. It is a lovely thing, just a tad too large for my skinny wrists. The vintage ND snowflake above however is almost a grail for me.

I was promised one by someone selling a while back but he welched on me and sold to someone else and I was gutted....

Journeyman
    Great watch!
    Do you guys know if it's bgw9 or c1 luminova on dial and hands?

Journeyman
    Great photos! I have tried taking some watch photos before and so I know it can be quite tricky, but those are fantastic.
    The watch is nice too, I'm sure that helps :)

Master
    Just tried one of these on and what a quality watch for the money. I was impressed as I was wearing my Rolex Explorer at the time and it wasn't as light as I thought it would be.

Currently on holiday and was offered one for £2350 the same price as iconic watches but seen them on Chrono 24 for £2000 which makes it a bargain.

Just to decide if I need another watch to break my three watch rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Great photos, ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandor View Post
    Great photos!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Enjoy the trip.
    I will. Always feels like coming home. :-)

Craftsman
    the pelagos is such a great watch. definitely on the radar.

Is it pronounced pell-a-goss or pel-ar-goss?

Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post

I really want to like it. It's really well put together, but it just feels a bit stark and utilitarian for me.
    I think that's what a diving/ tool watch should be to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post

I like the austerity, it is a bold move to make something so simple in this very decorated world.
    I love the lume.
    Dave

Just stunning, I hate this place it would be cheaper to take up backing the gee gees!

Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post

I thought that too until I tried it on, and warmed to it a lot more than expected. I would have gone for it if it wasn't for the HC blue. I just wanted something a little 'different' for a change.

But all in all a great looking and well put together watch.

JK

Craftsman
    Great photos of a great watch!

Craftsman
    I absolutely love the Pelagos. Fantastic. I love stark divers - it's just a shame they are all so thick and large.... definitely need to try one on to see if I can get away with it on my skinny wrist as unlike the black bay I definitely think the Pelagos looks better on a bracelet. My grail watch is a stark diver that wears well with a suit (bit of an oxymoron I know but the starkness is what I love)..... so need to try one on to see if this is in the mix. Great photos!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    I absolutely love the Pelagos. Fantastic. I love stark divers - it's just a shame they are all so thick and large.... definitely need to try one on to see if I can get away with it on my skinny wrist as unlike the black bay I definitely think the Pelagos looks better on a bracelet. My grail watch is a stark diver that wears well with a suit (bit of an oxymoron I know but the starkness is what I love)..... so need to try one on to see if this is in the mix. Great photos!
    I too share the pain in trying to reconcile a love of chunky dive watches and skinny wrists :(

Is the Pelagos also a scratch magnet like other titanium watches?

Looks like it :

M

Master
    Looks like it :

M
    The clasp is a steel part

Master
    I don't believe it is – certain parts are, but as the outer section matches the rest of the bracelet in colour, I'd say it's titanium.
    Given the grade used, and no mention of any equivalent coating to Seiko's DiaShield or Citizen's Duratect, it'll scratch as much as any other untreated titanium watch will.
    Last edited by PJ S; 21st October 2014 at 15:01.

Mine is certainly staying for the foreseeable.

Nice pics by the way.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Shounen View Post
    Is the Pelagos also a scratch magnet like other titanium watches?
    Looks like it :
    Shounen: It is actually a rather difficult question to answer. First of all, the watch you see in all the pictures above and therefore also the close-up picture used by snowman is already two years old. Which either means that the previous owner was extremely careful, and/or the watch is quite resistant to scratches. Secondly, the picture of the folding clasp does in fact show one of the two external parts of the Pelagos that are not made of Titanium: from what I can tell, both the clasp (confirmed) and the case back (presumed) are made of steel. A German watch magazine recently wrote that the clasp and crown were made of steel, but I highly doubt that, since there is no difference between the crown and its surrounding parts.

I do believe that last part of the bracelet shown in the picture (the one that holds the white ceramic ball) is made of Titanium as is the rest of the bracelet, but the safety part with the micro scratches is already made of steel as the rest of the clasp.

Still trying to give you an answer, from my personal observations I do think that Titanium watches as I know them from Citizen (Autozialla) or even the old Aquatimers tend to have a somehow sandblasted feel to surface that tends to hide or even prevent scratches quite well. The Pelagos on the other side comes with a more modern/refined brushed finish that tries to get as close to a stainless steel watch as possible. And from my experience with those most likely untreated watches, scratches are more likely to happen, probably as likely as with any ss watch with a brushed finish. But still, I am wearing a 2 year watch right now and don't think I have any reason to complain. :-)

But it might be interesting to see what happens when the case should need to be re-finished.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Nice pics by the way.
    Thanks! - the flat crystal and the non-reflective surfaces of the watch were a big help.
    Last edited by Roger Ruegger; 21st October 2014 at 13:34.

Shounen: It is actually a rather difficult question to answer. First of all, the watch you see in all the pictures above and therefore also the close-up picture used by snowman is already two years old.
    I must admit, I assumed it was a new watch, so maybe not

Don't Citizen have some kind of finish to their Titanium that makes them scratch resistant? I must admit, the two I've had seem LESS prone to scratching than most Stainless Steel watches.

M.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Insaneous1510 View Post
    I too share the pain in trying to reconcile a love of chunky dive watches and skinny wrists :(
    At the moment it looks like a mid sized Aqua Terra is in the lead - but I do prefer the "look" of the Pelagos! I just think an AT will fit my puny wrist better for a "smart" watch.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    I don't believe it is – certain parts are, but as the outer section matches the rest of the bracelet in colour, I'd say it's titanium.
    Given the grade used, and no mention of any equivalent coating to Seiko's DiaShield or Citizen's Duratec, it'll scratch as much as any other untreated titanium watch will.
    "The TUDOR Pelagos features a titanium bracelet with a folding steel clasp..."

Quote Originally Posted by Barnefko View Post
    Great watch!
    Do you guys know if it's bgw9 or c1 luminova on dial and hands?
    I don't know if it's luminova or something else, but surely it's the wrong colour for C1?
    Last edited by PickleB; 21st October 2014 at 13:51.

Master
    It could be construed that they've chosen to state the clasp as SS for brevity rather than detailing its constituent parts.
    I'm of the opinion the two pieces you see when the bracelet is closed are titanium, and it's the rest of the clasp that's "Steelinox FZ", as is stamped.
    Customers will buy or won't, irrespective of whether they're informed totally or just partially – so I can see why they'd be disinclined to go into a lot of extra wordiness for just the sake of the clasp.
    Last edited by PJ S; 21st October 2014 at 14:33.

Don't Citizen have some kind of finish to their Titanium that makes them scratch resistant?
    It's called Duratect: