closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Patek - friend needs advice and this is way outtta my league

Craftsman

Patek - friend needs advice and this is way outtta my league

Hi, some advice required.

A good friend who lives in the USA has finally decided that my watch bug is infectious and has caught it, hence decided to treat himself to a Patek....he asked my opinion of this baby (link below) and its way out of my league of experience and opinion.

I know they are highly regarded but apart from that...nothing. Any views on this one please, price model etc and anything he should do (beforehand) if he wants to go ahead.....

http://www.chrono24.com/en/patekphil...num=0&tab=pics

Many thanks for any inputs.

A lovely watch with a really beautiful complication that is a joy to use... you find yourself flicking back and forth between time zones for the sake of it.

36mm is entirely appropriate for that watch, but is it appropriate for your friend? That's quite small compared to fashions today and with the thick bezel will wear small as well. He needs to try it on is my only advice, but as a dress piece it's perfect.

Price wise - if he's on C24 then he can compare and deals are easier to come by in the US!

Master
    If he's new to watches he may want to find a similar size watch so he can at least determine if it's large enough. Most people here are still buying large watches even non-WIS are buying hockey pucks to wear. He should look before he jumps as they say because 36 can be small in regards to a fashionable presence here.

It is the PP 5134 and the casing comes in 4 variations: YG, RG, WG, PT. The dial comes in 2 styles mainly, one with breguet numerals and one with a mix of arabic and stick markers.
    There's also the Gubelin limited edition that has all stick markers.

I have the YG version and below are 2 pictures of it on my roughly 6.5 inch wrist which I hope can show how it wears. It can easily suit a 7 inch wrist with no size issues I think.
    It's definitely a fun travel or everyday watch as the second hour hand can be hidden behind the main one. You can pm me if you want any further information.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It looks beautiful.

FWIW I have 8" wrist and don't find a 36mm Explorer or DJ too small. It's in the mind more than anything, I think.

Banned
    I think yours looks way nicer than the one on chrono24, PS.

Robin, unless your friend is 100% certain that he likes that particular watch very much, then he should take his time. Tell him to enjoy the process of choosing a watch and that he should be very picky given the amount of money he is planning to spend.

Craftsman
    I had the 5164 Aquanaut travel Time for about a year , I know its a different watch but the complication is the same . If your friend travels a lot then he will love the complication ,its an absolute joy to use , changing time zones couldn't be easier.

There are two pushers on the left side of the watch , the top pusher moves the hour hand backwards in one hour increments revealing a home time hand that is hidden below the hour hand ( the bottom pusher advances the hour hand forward ). So lets say you are living in London and you fly to New York , you simply push the top pusher 5 times and the hour hand jumps to your current time zone in New York , but reading the time in London is simple as you have revealed the 'home-time' hand which remains on London time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    It is the PP 5134 and the casing comes in 4 variations: YG, RG, WG, PT. The dial comes in 2 styles mainly, one with breguet numerals and one with a mix of arabic and stick markers.
    There's also the Gubelin limited edition that has all stick markers.

I have the YG version and below are 2 pictures of it on my roughly 6.5 inch wrist which I hope can show how it wears. It can easily suit a 7 inch wrist with no size issues I think.
    It's definitely a fun travel or everyday watch as the second hour hand can be hidden behind the main one. You can pm me if you want any further information.

Beautiful pics, mate.

Craftsman

great and many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    Beautiful pics, mate.
    Guys very much appreciated , ill get these comments back to him, only wish I could fund one. Thanks