closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: what do people expect

Craftsman

what do people expect

Firstly have you ever sold a watch and then wish you hadn't? Well I have on many times bigger, fool me. One such watch is th seiko om I have sold about 3 times and then repurchased a while later. Always kept my bm. So there was I today tidying watches and trying to update my watch log for insurance purposes and got thinking about the o m and decided to see what best price was to be found. It was then I came across a review , and this is where my point comes in. The man says watch looks great etc and then states that he is disapointed about the time keeping because it runs fast 5sec a day. What do people want. I have many watches that cost much more than a monster and are loosing much more than 5 secs a day I have always believed that anything under 20 secs a day in this price range is good and that 5secs is really good. So thats it. If you have any similar observations please fell free to comment.

Grand Master
    Theirs always regulating a watch.

Some people IMO are over critical about what they want,after all for the most part watches bought and sold on here are not new but watches that are pre owned and worn,so don't expect new,Expect some wear too!.

Can't say I've ever had a watch Iv'e been disappointed in any respect.

Master
    Out of interest.... if you want to regulate your watch is this something a diyer can do? I assume there's some device you need and a few tools but what are we talking about here or is it forget it and get a man in... :-)

You can, but it's a slow process unless you've got a timegrapher. Otherwise it's make a tiny tiny adjustment using a No.1 cocktail stick, wear the watch for a few hours, realise you've made it much worse, make a teeny weeny adjustment the other way, wear it for a few hours, realise you've made it much worse the other way, give up and take it to the watchmaker in disgust.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    You can, but it's a slow process unless you've got a timegrapher. Otherwise it's make a tiny tiny adjustment using a No.1 cocktail stick, wear the watch for a few hours, realise you've made it much worse, make a teeny weeny adjustment the other way, wear it for a few hours, realise you've made it much worse the other way, give up and take it to the watchmaker in disgust.
    Rarely has a truer word been spoken on here!!

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    I tried regulating my watches a couple of times and this description in spot on every time hahah

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Out of interest.... if you want to regulate your watch is this something a diyer can do? I assume there's some device you need and a few tools but what are we talking about here or is it forget it and get a man in... :-)
    Assuming that you can remove the back the best tool for regulating a watch is a Mk 1 cocktail stick. If you decide to have a go though be careful as if you slip and end up ramming the stick into the movement the watch often doesn't like it.

Many - most, even - people not familiar with mechanical watches are disappointed with the time keeping. We know that +/- 5 secs is perfectly acceptable and will put up with +/- 20 secs (well, I will, anyway), but I have lost count of the number of people incredulous that I paid so much for such an inaccurate watch.

Hand on heart, it is a very hard point to argue against. You really can get a better watch for £15.

I have also found very little correlation between price and accuracy in mechanical watches. Some of my most accurate (+/- 1 sec range) are certainly not my most expensive. I have also regulated two of my cheaper ones to virtually dead on in normal wear.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    Assuming that you can remove the back the best tool for regulating a watch is a Mk 1 cocktail stick. If you decide to have a go though be careful as if you slip and end up ramming the stick into the movement the watch often doesn't like it.

Okay... I get the message :-)
    Get a man in! :-)