closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: The fun is in the journey? SM300 or homage

  1. #1
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    52

    The fun is in the journey? SM300 or homage

    Hey guys, I'm hankering for a vintage seamaster 300 and hoping to get my hands on one once I am able to find one!

    In the meantime though what do you guys think about getting one of the homage watches? If so which homages do you recommend?

    Do you think the fun is in the journey towards getting your dream watch or should I just save and wait for the real thing?
    Last edited by Elemenopea; 12th September 2014 at 18:08. Reason: typo

  2. #2
    Eddie did a very good hommage the PRS 14.

  3. #3
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    3,650
    Why not search out one of the Watchco ones?
    Essentially, a genuine Omega (new) case, dial, hands and crown fitted around a vintage movement sourced from one of the less popular Omega models from the original's era.
    So all the parts are manufactured by the right people, just not when the originals were.

    More than a hommage, less than the original.

    All the convenience of modern WR and lume, but still with the right name on the dial.

    Google Watchco SM300 for details

    D

  4. #4
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,170
    I`m planning to build a 'Watchco' SM300 in the near future, I`ve got all the parts but I need to find the time.

    I can`t call it a Watchco.....I guess it could be a 'Walkerco'!

    I think they're a better alternative to a homage, but rebuilding a vintage movement to a high standard isn`t cheap thesedays. That's the weakness with some of the Watchco-type versions, you don`t know how well the movement's been restored.

    Some of these have problems with the lume on the hands not matching. I`ll relume the hands if necessary to get the best possible match.

    Paul

  5. #5
    Journeyman JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    158
    I wanted an SM300 too, but then I noticed that I liked the CWC RN Automatic diver even better than the SM300. Both have simiar dial / hand style. Both were issued to the MOD and hence share the same history. Maybe that's something for you?

    Best

  6. #6
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    52
    How easy is it to get one of the watchco Seamasters?

  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Spalding, UK
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    I wanted an SM300 too, but then I noticed that I liked the CWC RN Automatic diver even better than the SM300. Both have simiar dial / hand style. Both were issued to the MOD and hence share the same history. Maybe that's something for you?

    Best
    I'm with JMH , I wanted a SM300 too. In the end I wound up with a CWC RN SBS. it sort of has the style of the omega with a modern twist and I'm not scared to wear it when shaving.

  8. #8
    A lot of the fun is in the research and search so check out my original 'Quick SM300 guide' post:

    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...litary-watches

  9. #9
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemenopea View Post
    How easy is it to get one of the watchco Seamasters?
    They crop up for sale sometimes. Not sure whether STS still sell newly-assembled ones with a 2 yr guarantee.

    Paul

  10. #10
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    52
    Thanks for all the replies so far.

    I've emailed the guys at watchco and they have been having some problems sourcing components. They have a wait list currently but they're only getting around 1 SM300 per year so at that rate I'll be getting my hands on one in 2029!

    Any other suggestions?

  11. #11
    How about save a bit more and get the new sm300 reissue when it's available at the end of the year? Looks like it will be a very handsome watch. Genuine omega. Modern standards. Old DNA with a new twist.

  12. #12
    Master Incredible Sulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    3 Degrees West
    Posts
    1,123
    Quote Originally Posted by watkins101 View Post
    I'm with JMH , I wanted a SM300 too. In the end I wound up with a CWC RN SBS. it sort of has the style of the omega with a modern twist and I'm not scared to wear it when shaving.
    My SM300 was recently pressure tested to 300 metres. It's perfectly safe to shave whilst wearing it.

  13. #13
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemenopea View Post
    Thanks for all the replies so far.

    I've emailed the guys at watchco and they have been having some problems sourcing components. They have a wait list currently but they're only getting around 1 SM300 per year so at that rate I'll be getting my hands on one in 2029!

    Any other suggestions?
    Do a bit of searching.
    There's one on Ebay in London (and another in British Columbia), one available on TZ (american one) from the states.
    They crop up, Watchrecon (all dates since June) shows that 7 have come up on the forums in that time.

  14. #14
    Master Flashharry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Surrey UK
    Posts
    2,642
    There nothing quite like an original SM300 Big Triangle and as far as I know the Big Triangle dial has never been remade by Omega.



    Watch out for fakes, I took the safe route and bought froom Mike Wood, many moons ago.

    Last edited by Flashharry; 18th September 2014 at 10:57.

  15. #15
    Journeyman JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashharry View Post
    There nothing quite like an original SM300 Big Triangle and as far as I know the Big Triangle dial has never been remade by Omega.
    Beautiful watch--and nice condition! I much prefer the big triangle dial over its civilian counterpart; that might be one of the reasons why I prefer the CWC over the Watchco franken SM300s (which are nice too).

  16. #16
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    242
    Does anyone know if Omega is planning to reissue the later SM300s at all - which I much prefer to the one they've done?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •