closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Apple watch pre-release thread

Quote Originally Posted by NikosF View Post
    Harvard Business Review Blog perspective on the impact of the Apple Watch on the Swiss industry. They predict it will make 18-35 year olds start wearing watches which is a good thing for the industry (and by extension) us.

http://blogs.hbr.org/2014/09/why-the...atch-industry/
    Interesting point of view. In my books anything good for the industry is bad for us at this stage... there is (nearly) no established western watch company left with moderate and reasonable pricing. The problem is not so much the comanys but the people buying run of the mill stainless steel watches for several thousand $$. I hope they finally run out of customers. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    I also pointed out that the announcement of the 18k version is THE pointer to the game played.
    Secondly that $350 entry tag is already not low end but tremendous vfm.
    They are changing the game at the high margin end.

The quartz/electronic wrist products are by end large competetively cost + margin priced.
    The luxury end of the wrist market is market oriented priced; priced at what the buyer accepts.

Apple is launching luxury wrist electronics. The plot of Apple is market pricing the electronic wrist product. They are changing the parameters of the game at the luxury end. As such they will go head on with the luxury Swiss watch brands.
    Rolex is the by far most widely known one so the obvious one to name.
    Name me a mass market electronic product at the high end? such a thing does not exist.

Electronics is a zero sum game because there is always another new model 3 weeks later with "better features"

You can sell an iphone at £550 pounds but cannot sell it 5k unless it is solid gold or laced with jewels. ie electronics have a ceiling price that the market will not pay over for

Quote Originally Posted by miguelh34 View Post
    You can sell an iphone at £550 pounds but cannot sell it 5k unless it is solid gold or laced with jewels. ie electronics have a ceiling price that the market will not pay over for
    Unless? It will be (amongst other versions) solid gold... 18-karat solid gold. ;)

Master
    John Gruber (smug, but usually spot on Apple insider, at daringfireball.net) thinks the steel/sapphire one could be $1200 and the gold as much as five times that.

He's not joking.

Master
    Sorry, seamster73 got there first :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    John Gruber (smug, but usually spot on Apple insider, at daringfireball.net) thinks the steel/sapphire one could be $1200 and the gold as much as five times that.

He's not joking.
    I think so too and can see them selling very well since it is ´Apple´ cool stuff.

The result is a Veblen electronic wristwatch occupying Veblen wristwatch real estate.

I am réally looking forward to it.
    For one because the Apple Watch itself will add variety but more so because it will entice the rest of the manufacturers operating in this segment to innovate or otherwise respond.

For mere mortal watch enthusiasts nothing much will change directly since the entry point of the Apple Watch is alread at the top end of the budget. Never mind the rest.
    When the Apple Watch catches on however, this will see more manufatcurers entering this market at lower prices. Thát will force the hand of the watch manufactures serving that segment.

Am not sure if the Apple's watch or any smart watch serves a useful function as of now.It is certsainly not fulfilling a market 'need' as such.
    Only reason it may sell is because it is a new product from Apple.
    I doubt if Swiss wathc industry needs to feel threatened.

7 or 8 years ago who saw where smartphones would go

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...on-smart-phone

now look at all the feeding frenzy over the i6, packed full of stuff we didn't know we needed

Master
    I don't see this thing being a threat to Rolex or any high end watch manufacturer. People pay big money for those products because with the occasional service they will outlast the owner. Paying £1k or £5k or whatever for something that will be old tech 12/24 months later is not even close to the same decision.

Another very good blog by "one of us":

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/apple-wa...nds-on-review/

Its all just a matter of time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Gentlemen, start up your development environment - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11...sdk_for_watch/

The embedded video halfway down this page gives some good indications as to its capabilities and limitations, as well as the dependencies on the associated iphone.

New information posted today on the Apple site:

http://www.apple.com/watch/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think they look good. Which surprises me.

Hints water resistance!

Banned
    There is certainly a market for them, I imagine they will sell well.