Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ***Insert witty MX-5 themed subject heading here***

***Insert witty MX-5 themed subject heading here***

The new one is coming:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=30787

Looks great.

Looks a bit like the Jag F type.

Because you're worth it.

That's really quite nice, very F-Type from the rear which isn't a bad thing. It's only the headlights that don't do it for me.

Looks like a GT86 crashed into a Fiat Barchetta which had already crashed into an F Type.

I like it for the most part. Something looks a little odd around the wheels and wheel arches - it may be he offset, it may be the colour...just doesn't look quite right.

Still, not bad.

Is this the one they were co-developing with Alfa Romeo? I'd be very interested in what Alfa do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    Is this the one they were co-developing with Alfa Romeo? I'd be very interested in what Alfa do with it.
    That plan might be on the rocks:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/alfa-ro...oject-jeopardy

However, the Italian version might still be branded a Fiat.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Looks a bit like the Jag F type.
    Well the original MX5 was a knock off Lotus Elan

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    Remove most of the screws I should think...

Master
    Shades of the Pininfarina Fiat Dino Spyder.

I rather like it, although I dislike 'style bars' and hope those are actual roll hoops behind the seats...

My wife had a 1994 1.8l mx5. Was so much fun to drive. Read wheel drive, enough power to have fun but not enough to do anything stupid with (unless you really really thrashed it) was the most fun car I've ever driven in snow :P

Got rid if it when the family came along.. but will hopefully own another one day! I like the look of the new one for sure..

Master
    “You never actually own a MX5. You merely look after it for the next generation.”

Only a shade more masculine than:

Master
    My sister is picking up her first ever brand new car next week....

It'll be her 3rd MX5.... And she's gone for the 25th anniversary edition..... Quite looking forward to it, cos she's got me as a named driver..

[QUOTE=Enoch;3255126]My sister is picking up her first ever brand new car next week....

QUOTE]

Says it all really - is she also a hair dresser.

What's the betting this will be bigger and heavier then the previous model, but will have more power to compensate. Won't be quite as good though.

Hate those front lights.

I like it, wonder when the order book opens

[QUOTE=Andyg;3255131]
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    My sister is picking up her first ever brand new car next week....

QUOTE]

Says it all really - is she also a hair dresser.

What's the betting this will be bigger and heavier then the previous model, but will have more power to compensate. Won't be quite as good though.

Hate those front lights.
    It's 100kg lighter and has 5 bhp more, you were close though

Master
    Says it all eh??... She's a diver:)

And she's worked her ass off to be able to treat herself for once....

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

I'll take your money on that bet, please. From the PH article:

"But here's what we know so far; as well as looking a lot edgier the new MX-5 is significantly smaller and lighter than the one it replaces, Mazda apparently not reading the script that says new cars generally put on weight and size compared with their predecessors. Indeed, Mazda claims to have sliced "more than 100kg" out of the NC version and the new car is 105mm shorter, 20mm lower and has 15mm out of the wheelbase. The only dimension in which it's grown is width, even then by just 10mm."

Looks good but will have to see how those wheel arches look in the metal. Never liked the current Mazda wheel arch shape (on any of their cars). As well as lighter can they please make it cheaper...

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post

Without the roof...

I'll take your money on that bet, please. From the PH article:

"But here's what we know so far; as well as looking a lot edgier the new MX-5 is significantly smaller and lighter than the one it replaces, Mazda apparently not reading the script that says new cars generally put on weight and size compared with their predecessors. Indeed, Mazda claims to have sliced "more than 100kg" out of the NC version and the new car is 105mm shorter, 20mm lower and has 15mm out of the wheelbase. The only dimension in which it's grown is width, even then by just 10mm."

In which case I take it all back and hope it's delightful.

Craftsman
    They're also quite good at long distance trials...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rmsm61n0UT...0/P4030032.JPG

Out of interest, what do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Only a shade more masculine than:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Looks a bit like sti prematurely born the Jag F type.
    Fixed that for ya

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    It's ok, but the original model has such a purity about its design, lack of electronics and superfluous accessories any new model isn't going to match up. I'll keep my na thanks....

It's not an MX5 without the pop-up headlights.

Master
    The new one is coming:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=30787

Looks great.
    There's been a discussion about this on the Lotus forum and, obviously, they're all saying how similar it looks to a Lotus.... Well I can't see it myself (other than the fact that my Elise is also red!) however, I admit the new MX5 does look nice though not as nice as my Elise - of course! ;-)

Master
    I'm very excited about this.

I've owned a mk1 (beautiful lines, pop-up headlights, unassisted steering) and a mk2 (more power, not quite so nice lines but still beautifully balanced).

I LOVED both of them and found them to be the most fun of all the cars I've owned (including 4.5l TVR, Impreza Turbo, and Mini Cooper S). Perfect balance of power and grip for the real world.

In my experience, people who condemn them as hairdressers cars have never driven one. I don't think I've ever met anybody who has driven one and doesn't at least agree that it's an involving drive.

I a very tempted to order one of the new ones, as they seem to be back on track with this version, after the rather lardy mk3

It seems to lack the softness of the old cars, which were easy on the eye, hinting at fun more than aggression. I get the feeling if one cut me up at those irritating 2-lanes-into-1 roadworks I'd probably think "impatient t***" rather than "hmmmm, must get another one of those one day"

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    In my experience, people who condemn them as hairdressers cars have never driven one.
    I don't think their hairdressing image is just a misconception about the quality of the handling.

As they're undemanding, they attract those who don't know how to drive.

The fact they're also enjoyable for the small sub-set of those who like to press on / know how to drive is overshadowed by the mass of those working as tonsorial artistes.

IMHO, of course.

Sniff Petrol have a report from the launch.
    http://sniffpetrol.com/2014/09/04/ne...more-pleasure/

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    I'm very excited about this.

I've owned a mk1 (beautiful lines, pop-up headlights, unassisted steering) and a mk2 (more power, not quite so nice lines but still beautifully balanced).

I LOVED both of them and found them to be the most fun of all the cars I've owned (including 4.5l TVR, Impreza Turbo, and Mini Cooper S). Perfect balance of power and grip for the real world.

In my experience, people who condemn them as hairdressers cars have never driven one. I don't think I've ever met anybody who has driven one and doesn't at least agree that it's an involving drive.

I a very tempted to order one of the new ones, as they seem to be back on track with this version, after the rather lardy mk3
    I agree entirely, since my last MX-5 (mk2.5), I've had a 986 Boxster S, a 997 C4S and a 987 GenII Boxster S........but often find myself fondly remembering the MX-5 as being such a great and fun car to drive. I myself will be interested to see what the new ones look like in the flesh.

Grand Master

I am sure it will be fast, efficient, and handle very well indeed. But to me it looks like AnyCar from AnyMake, with a derivative hint of Jag F-type (which itself looks like AnyCar) at the back and the aggressive hooded lights at the front are Jag-esque/Lightning McQueed/Fast'n'Furious JDM mod-style. It doesn't look like an MX-5, it doesn't appear to have any character.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I'm a former owner (Mk1 and 2) and could be tempted by one as a second car. Big improvement on the outgoing model visually, which has always looked a bit bulbous to me. But having said that I expect there'll be some temptingly cheap examples of the outgoing model around in the next few months - and I think that used prices will fall pretty steeply too, as soon as the new ones are out and about.

For girls only, no self respecting bloke should own one of these

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    “You never actually own a MX5. You merely look after it for the next generation.”
    It's a tin can with no character.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Or, alternately, only guys with a bit of self confidence and independence of thought...

Master
    Has anyone else noticed how certain car models have been taken over by the fairer sex?

BMW Mini (true mini is still for real blokes)
    Fiat 500 (again... I don't mean the 'proper' 500)
    those Merc SL thingies

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    As they're undemanding, they attract those who don't know how to drive.

The fact they're also enjoyable for the small sub-set of those who like to press on / know how to drive is overshadowed by the mass of those working as tonsorial artistes.

IMHO, of course.
    This describes the 911 too, and especially the Nissan GT-R, which has so much power (to attract manly men for whom the MX-5 is too girly) it needs electronic devices to stay on the road and thus keep its owner safe. There is a wonderful irony that the only people who like TVRs and GT-Rs are other men which is why (and I've oft said this before) you see so many of them driving slowly through town centres but not driven fast and properly on the open road. I once overtook a current GT-R in my wife's Fiat 500 for goodness sake and as I went past I heard him put his foot down to try to stop me. If you drive an MX-5 you don't care what people think, if you drive a GT-R especially you need to attract other men.

And TVRs with pearlescent paint...

Master
    Complete nonsense..... My fun car is a 450 BHP TVR......but I can have just as much fun driving my sisters little 1.8 MX5..
    In fact in certain conditions, it's actually more fun, and faster a to b...:)

You get a set of these stickers with every new MX-5 now to help keep the insurance costs down

Master
    The new one looks more Japanese to me. Let me clarify what I mean.

The original reminds me of a MGB - just brought up to date - and with a touch of Lotus in its styling. The new one looks more Japanese if that makes any sense.

Whatever, it will be a great drive, but the styling of this newest version does nothing for me. Now, Enoch's sisters version - that looks the part.

Master
    You get a set of these stickers with every new MX-5 now to help keep the insurance costs down

Very good.

I think I will get a set of these for mine

ETA: I think the new one looks great BTW, but I will stick with my Mk1 I think.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    If this is your comment having actually driven one, then fair enough...... I must admit I felt he same till I drove my mates. Within 3 weeks I bought one......

Gotta love the division of opinion an mx5 causes, great fun and handling car. Miss my mk2.5 euphonic and like the looks of this but would need to see it in the flesh

If your going to do something then do it properly

Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    Remove most of the screws I should think...
    And the wiring loom insulation.

But it does look great.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez