closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heads up: Wheeler Dealers - Jensen Interceptor

Banned
    Blog Entries

Heads up: Wheeler Dealers - Jensen Interceptor

Quest @ 9pm this evening.

Seen that episode several times. Lovely weekend driving car when they finished even if it would not have won at Pebble Beach.

Probably the best of some bad motoring program's But some parts Really get to me, We had the 911 with the owner/expert telling us to look in the oil filler cap for signs of water from the head gasket?.?? A proper mechanic ??? Who HAD to have a recon box because it needed a third gear syncro hub, There was a holly carb for a Chevy that had to have a BRAND NEW replacement,We had the Lexus that was fitted with HID with no mention.of the law, Several cars BMW 6 ser with no mention of bulkhead/ inner wing rot, Or front to rear rotten fuel pipes ???, Or indeed any mention of fire risk with older cars fuel systems, No vehicle EVER has a thorough check and an estimate done before any work it's just straight in with an odd fault, I have never in fifty years seen any GOOD paint shop prep things so slapstick, Flat panels are attacked with electric sanders and filler put over paint, VERY few common problems are mentioned on any cars and some repairs start with say headlights before they know if the engine runs LOL, I really am not trying to knock it too much but it would be as easy to do it right as wrong, NEVER does he sell a car for its full price and good old ED works for nothing ??? Always finishes with how much proffit never a mention of the month or two labour LoL, And as a buyer he would make a good carpenter! The main thing with ANY vehicle is nice straight sides??. Don't look underneath, Don't mention mileage, Don't look for burning oil, Don't check tyres, And buy it anyway! Although when you have a free mechanic does it matter ?? I can't imagine ANY good trader walking within a hundred yards of some of them though.Could think of a thousand faults but I will leave some for others LOL
    Ps great post.

Master
    Christ that came out all at once, feel better now?

LoL just nicely finished watching the SL Merc , So post came at a bad time!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Still fun though.

Anyone with any knowledge of cars knows that the show is utter rubbish in the mechanical side but I guess like all "reality" shows it has to be entertaining.

Seen it a couple of times....pony.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

its probably more about cars than Top Gear though.

always amazing that they magically find that impossible to get bit at the right price, just when they need it.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post

always amazing that they magically find that impossible to get bit at the right price, just when they need it.
    Yup.

The incredible world of reality TV.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post

Top gear is pants

I always smile when he tells us how much profit they made but mysteriously there's no mention of the cost of 100 hours labour.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I always smile when he tells us how much profit they made but mysteriously there's no mention of the cost of 100 hours labour.

Eddie
    I also spotted that rather significant flaw in the programme when it first started.

Matey boy would be crowing about how they had made two hundred quid profit, somehow oblivious to the 5 grand of skilled labour involved.

Still, quite entertaining though.

As said it is watchable but! Great how they can transform a car with a strut brace and handsfree car kit ? It would def add to program if the main common faults of the particular vehicle were bought up, It would be usefull for any buyers. Another fave of mine was the VW van LOL what a good mate he bought it off, I rated it about £50 tops ?

I thought Ed is a good mechanic and knows his stuff, though Mike spouts so much rubbish. Most of the people buying etc are crew or friends doing it for the show. Much of the stuff ends up on Ebay :)

I must admit there are some of the cars I would buy in a flash, If his sales prices are to be believed, If you were to consider Eds labour costs some cars gain thousands of pounds. The 57 Chevy was nice, The 635 seemed OK. The corvette was cheap, The pick up was stunning, But there is never any mention of how much LHD can alter the money as in the 911" The Karman was nice as well. I would have hade the Moke as well.

LOL talk about bite my tongue, Anyone watching tonight's show ??? PMSL bought the biggest piece of junk I have ever seen in my life, An old Espirit that had a knackered engine ( not mentioned but left a trail of blue smoke) burning more oil than my house boiler, Must have been to the moon and back, An interior that was absolutly knackered replaced by one just as bad, If not worse. No MOT, No mention of the fact that half of them have been written off, Just how atrocious the electrics are, And sold it for £6500 !!!! Yep 6500 not £650 wich would have been fair, A real poor episode tonight I thought.

I like the show a lot and have done for a long time. My mate sold and bought back a car in the previous series, and I had the chance to meet Mike Brewer when they came to film the buying segment of the show at my mate's house.

Mike took the time out between takes to chat cars to me and he seemed like a genuinely nice bloke. You can only speak as you find.

And everyone above (mostly) forgets in their sad 'Petrolheads' cynicism that it's about home mechanics who work for free, as Edd points out repeatedly. Edd told us how long it took to replace the chassis on the Morgan and it doesn't take a genius to work out how much a garage would have charged. He also told us how many hours it took to rebuilt the Moggy Woody. They don't hide much; they just don't make too much of a fuss of things.

Anyone noticed that there are months between the buying (mostly summer/autumn) and the selling? Those cars take ages to fix.

I loved the Stag, the Camaro and the 840, off the top of my head.

Blog Entries
    I must admit I like the show a lot too - to the point my kids might comment "Oh Daddy, you haven't watched Wheeler Dealers today!" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    My mate sold and bought back a car in the previous series.......
    Was that the Jap spec RX7? ....I can completely understand him buying that car back - it was a lovely car (if you're into that sort of thing, though not sure about the snakeskin!)

Master
    I've watched bits of this programme in the past and switched off in disgust. They should team up with Lizard Lick Towing and then they could chase around swearing at each other all night. Good television? Not in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    And everyone above (mostly) forgets in their sad 'Petrolheads' cynicism that it's about home mechanics who work for free, as Edd points out repeatedly. Edd told us how long it took to replace the chassis on the Morgan and it doesn't take a genius to work out how much a garage would have charged. He also told us how many hours it took to rebuilt the Moggy Woody. They don't hide much; they just don't make too much of a fuss of things.Anyone noticed that there are months between the buying (mostly summer/autumn) and the selling? Those cars take ages to fix. I loved the Stag, the Camaro and the 840, off the top of my head.
    Yes, most seemed to have missed the point of the program; as well as being entertainment it is aimed at what home mechanics could achieve with free labour...And as to how motor-trade professionals have an uncanny ability to locate spare parts from other suppliers in the motor-trade...well the mind just boggles. Some of the prices they get stuff done for though (wheel refurbs and resprays etc) may be difficult to match though I suspect.

Master
    New series on Discovery channel starting Monday, 9pm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    You and me both Eddie not to mention the fully equipped garage but its only fun, boys comics.

Odd how a programme that's been on the air for a dozen years and is pretty popular engenders such ire here. I'd have thought few here would have heard of it given those feelings. Maybe some watched a few minutes then turned it off so they could make list of complaints in case anyone started a thread on here.

It's the best of all the Discovery car series, and the most straightforward.

Craftsman
    I heard brewer did some porridge a while back for flogging cut and shuts.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    I must admit I like the show a lot too - to the point my kids might comment "Oh Daddy, you haven't watched Wheeler Dealers today!" :-)

Was that the Jap spec RX7? ....I can completely understand him buying that car back - it was a lovely car (if you're into that sort of thing, though not sure about the snakeskin!)
    It was indeed. I wasn't a fan of the snakeskin either but the big turbo and intercooler they dropped on are pretty epic.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by genesos View Post
    Christ that came out all at once, feel better now?
    So fast that the OP forgot to use paragraphs.

Master
    Odd how a programme that's been on the air for a dozen years and is pretty popular engenders such ire here. I'd have thought few here would have heard of it given those feelings. Maybe some watched a few minutes then turned it off so they could make list of complaints in case anyone started a thread on here.

It's the best of all the Discovery car series, and the most straightforward.

Agreed. And compared with Classic Car 'Rescue' it's absolute quality!

I do agree it is one of, if not THE best, However it's format could easily be altered to help anyone thinking of buying the particular vehicle, It is as easy to do things right as to do them wrong, They do give some real bad advise at times! I will keep an eye out for the program on paragraphs thanks!LOL

Odd how a programme that's been on the air for a dozen years and is pretty popular engenders such ire here. ...
    I have only just started watching it! We recently signed up for the Virginmedia Tivo box so it collects episodes both old and new at a rate of several per day. They are repeated in no particular order on Discovery turbo or whatever its called.

Some of the comments remind me of Top Gear critics; the programme viewers hate so much they have to watch it just to criticise it.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcofZen View Post
    Agreed. And compared with Classic Car 'Rescue' it's absolute quality!
    Car SOS is also good*. And most episodes tug at the heartstrings at the end.

*Edited to add: apart from that annoying twonk, Tim Shaw. However, his badness is balanced by Fuzz's goodness. Ying and yang.
    Last edited by Bravo73; 30th August 2014 at 16:49.

I like the mice running out from under the Jensen at the end.

Its a bit boring and not really the real world.
    I know they don't charge for labour and there are a few "bodges" on there
    BUT I still have it on in the background when im on my IPAD beats the F@k out of soap opera`s

I watched last night and was surprised that he sold if for £6500 - I could not find one for less that 16500, and saw a Series 3 for sale at over £50K. When was it filmed 2000??

Has anyone seen the shows done by the great Fosse or Jessie James - they turn out some lovely stuff if you like your cars custom.

In the US (at least in Texas) they have a TV channel devolved to Car programs - bliss

I've seen a number of US car programmes. They all seem much more concerned with the characters than the cars. Gasoline soap operas. Chasing Classic Cars is mainly about the guy, but you do get to see some wonderful vehicles. One of the reasons I like WD so much is that Edd explains most of what he's doing - and apart from bodywork I've done it before as a teen with my dad and on my own cars later, using the same tools, two post lift not included! I think, if pushed, I could still strip down and rebuild a side valve Anglia engine...
    It seems to me that WD is more like a WIS approach to cars, whereas the US versions are for fashion watch lovers.

Journeyman
    gotta love a bit of mike cheese lol
    lots of good programs on tv ref cars as listed already enjoying the fat and furious great watch