closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommend a decent toaster.

I bought one of these Bosch 4-slicers...................

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have to say - it is pretty good, and both sides pop up almost in sync without any great effort to align the rotary knobs.

Only downside is that it doesn't handle the larger slices like my 2-slotter full length job.

i LOVE toast !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Dualit. The Miele of toasters.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Not quite, that would be Rowlett.

I have owned both and the Rowlett is by far the superior toaster.

Recommend a decent toaster.

What ever happened to eye level gas grill connected to your cooker?

Your Mum had grilled pork chops on it the night before, so your toast got fatty lines across it, which was not such a bad thing.

Now, that was a proper way to cook toast, even if if was a kitchen monstrosity.

Proper way to cook toast in the 1970s
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 31st March 2023 at 20:02.

Proper way to do toast.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    It has never been a problem for me but sure, if it looks good I’m willing to pay around 100€, which would be double price compared to the cheap and adequate.
    Never once burned bread in a toaster? You don’t vary your bready products enough in Finland…. U.K. has complexities such as tea cakes and hot cross buns which renders toasters and toasting useless!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    There are also differences in bread type that influences toasting time, my lad has toasted bagels in the morning and they toast very quickly, and the difference between a light toasting and incineration seems to be measured in par secs. Warberton crumpets can go ages before an acceptable level of toast is achieved.
    Exactly…. Let technology take control?!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Go on. I will write the 100th post.

Only on TZ can you get 100 posts discussing and recommending a toaster!!

Vive le forum.
    Toasting bread…. Reading time

These things need consideration and investment.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Let technology take control?!
    There is no hope for anybody who needs technology to do toast.

Master
    The toaster I’m describing doesn’t exist as far as I can see, but I think I know how to make one…. I invent stuff for a living…

I’ve made some contacts in the industry to see if anyone would buy one that covers two key points

Commercial a It won’t burn…. It’s the #1 reason for nuisance alarms with fire detectors

Consumer - It will also toast to your preferred level of brown and won’t burn anything….Some colour sensing stuff exists but works on a different premise to what I’m considering…. The idea we’ve come up with should be a lot cheaper to make and more effective

I’d guess there’d be a market for such a thing? I just wanted find out on here if anyone would pay a premium for such a solution?
    Small format 2 / 4 slice and perfection, I will be / buy the first test unit.

I've already rejected the 'best' if you believe the Dualit is / was - and nothing has ever been as good as a grill.

One of the best tech guys on YouTube is ‘MrWhosetheboss’ and he lists this high end Balmuda as one of his favourite ever gadgets.

Think of it as high end horology for bread.

BALMUDA The Toaster | Steam Oven Toaster | 5 Cooking Modes - Sandwich Bread, Artisan Bread, Pizza, Pastry, Oven | Compact Design | Baking Pan | K01M-KG | Black | US Version https://amzn.eu/d/fuub4pi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    There is no hope for anybody who needs technology to do toast.
    True dat! I’m a lost cause!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Small format 2 / 4 slice and perfection, I will be / buy the first test unit.

I've already rejected the 'best' if you believe the Dualit is / was - and nothing has ever been as good as a grill.
    Consider yourself signed up to the beta programme!

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Not quite, that would be Rowlett.

I have owned both and the Rowlett is by far the superior toaster.
    Quite an eyesore though. My wife would make me return that

Never once burned bread in a toaster? You don’t vary your bready products enough in Finland…. U.K. has complexities such as tea cakes and hot cross buns which renders toasters and toasting useless!

Exactly…. Let technology take control?!
    Not saying it has never happened but it isn’t even a yearly occurrence for me. And it’s true that I toast toast. I once bought a pack of pop tarts and that was the last time I defiled my toaster with varying bready products. I am a simple man with simple tastes. A good slice of toast with a slightly excessive dose of butter is one of those great culinary pleasures that cannot be added to.

Blog Entries
    Toasters have historically annoyed the arse off me, who exactly told toaster designers that the public like only 3/4 of a slice to be toasted? I had a Dualit 4 slice toaster for a couple of years, that was ok until one of the elements failed and I could not be bothered to order and fit a new element, so to the darkness of my garage it went and I will get round to repairing it some day.
    To get to the point, I have found a toaster that is perfect for what SWMBO and I want, it is a stainless steel two slice toaster with browning control, variable width slots with a ‘lift & look feature, it is a deep slot toaster so it properly toasts ALL of the slices and it defrosts as well, I have had it a year now and am 100% happy with it! How much is this remarkable toaster you may ask? It is available (same day) on Amazon UK for under £40!!! :->

Breville Edge Deep Chassis 2-Slice Toaster | Toasts All the Way to the Top | Brushed Stainless Steel [VTT981]

Last edited by KavKav; 1st April 2023 at 08:27.

True dat! I’m a lost cause!
    We all are!

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Toasters have historically annoyed the arse off me, who exactly told toaster designers that the public like only 3/4 of a slice to be toasted? I had a Dualit 4 slice toaster for a couple of years, that was ok until one of the elements failed and I could not be bothered to order and fit a new element, so to the darkness of my garage it went and I will get round to repairing it some day.
    To get to the point, I have found a toaster that is perfect for what SWMBO and I want, it is a stainless steel two slice toaster with browning control, variable width slots with a ‘lift & look feature, it is a deep slot toaster so it properly toasts ALL of the slices and it defrosts as well, I have had it a year now and am 100% happy with it! How much is this remarkable toaster you may ask? It is available (same day) on Amazon UK for under £40!!! :->

Breville Edge Deep Chassis 2-Slice Toaster | Toasts All the Way to the Top | Brushed Stainless Steel [VTT981]

I also have a 2 slice Breville. It's a good 15+yrs old and still makes great evenly browned toast. However for toasties you really can't beat the convenience and results of an air fryer, crispy, evenly toasted and hot all the way through.

F.T.F.A.

Recommend a decent toaster.

Life hack.

Do you know if you lay your toaster on its side it instantly becomes a grill!

I do this for cheese on toast.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bought the cheapest one in Argos, last time I needed one, and it's lasted far longer than the one it replaced

We’ve got a 4 slice Dualit and the 2 slice version in the annexe kitchen. I like with the 4 you can do 1-4 slices (the older version was just 2 or 4) and the bagel setting just does the insides (if that makes sense). Still requires judgment to get the browning right depending on bread type. Now I need a decent bread knife recommendation but I’ll save that for another thread..!

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Bought the cheapest one in Argos, last time I needed one, and it's lasted far longer than the one it replaced
    Years ago, one of my best friends got married and we got as many people as we could find to give the couple the cheapest Argos toaster we could find as a wedding present, I think they ended up with about 15 of them . It was pretty funny at the time. ( they got donated to charity )
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I have owned this old workhorse for over thirty years, through two marriages and five house moves, never needed service or repair. Superb.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    U-Roy? 😂
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Had our Dualit for 14 years now without any issues. Still works as well as it did when we first had it.

Like it so much also bought a Dualit kettle which also has been faultless.
    Toaster now 22 years old and no issues whatsoever.

Master
    120 odd posts and no one has turned Japanese....

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8918791.html

My Granny’s oven made excellent toast - a gas oven with eye-level grill.
    Think was due to steam from burning gas keeping the toast slightly moist.

Back in the day, a toasting fork and fireplace, required a bit of concentration but worked for every kind of bread product, toast, tea cakes, hot cross buns, crumpets etc....eeeh it takes me back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Back in the day, a toasting fork and fireplace, required a bit of concentration but worked for every kind of bread product, toast, tea cakes, hot cross buns, crumpets etc....eeeh it takes me back.
    Always tasted better too!

I remember doing this when the power went off

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Always tasted better too!

I remember doing this when the power went off
    Y'know I think it did.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack83 View Post
    Now I need a decent bread knife recommendation but I’ll save that for another thread..!

A not-very-expensive recommendation https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

By far the best bread knife I have ever had - it slices like a hot knife through butter. I also bought one of these to use it with https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - although this does what it is supposed to do, the knife is so easy to cut straight with, I rarely bother with the guide.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Rowlett Esprit. Had mine for 9 years and haven't even changed an element yet.
    Do you have the same as this one below?

The one sided toasting, seen at the 6min mark, seems useful!