closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Servicing a Glashutte

Servicing a Glashutte

Has anyone sent a watch back to Germany for a service? My G.O is 7 years old and beginning to run a little slow, so I'm guessing it's due a service. Any idea of the costs? Unfortunately no agents here in the UK.

I've sent them a message, awaiting a reply from G.O.

Paul.

Can't help on costing but Wempe in London are official agents. You could ask them

Indeed, Wempe can service some calibres on site in the London shop.

OK thanks. Wempe don't seem to be listed on the G.O. website.

Paul.

Apprentice
    Try contacting glashutteservice@uk.swatchgroup.com, hope this helps

Thanks everyone, I'll see what they say.

Paul.

PS:- still have a hankering to send it back to the factory! Anyone used Wempe for servicing?

Banned
    It might cost a bit, but I don't think you will regret sending it to the factory. If it was my watch I would do that.

Thanks for all your thoughts. If anyone else is in this position, these are the replies I've had.

Glashutter are giving me 3 options; (a) they will arrange a courier pick up to send to the factory, for 75 euros. (b) I can arrange it to be sent thru' the Swatch Service Centre in Southampton or (c) send it myself, insuring it, and using a courier of my choice.

The charge will be 595 euros inc a new strap (which fell apart!).

Wempe quoted, over the phone, an inspection and service cost of between £800-900, with a 10-12 week turnaround. Price to be confirmed after inspection by their watchmaker. No strap replacement. If they are not able to service it due parts, the watch would be sent to Hamburg.

So a little holiday, for the watch, to Germany beckons.....back to see it's maker!

I'll let you know how it goes, if anyone is remotely interested....

Paul.

Master
    Surprising to see Wempe charging 50% more for less.
    Did Glashutte give any turnaround timeframe?

Master
    The factory is definitely the best option on those prices, indeed you might think that Wempe didn't want the work?

A wise choice.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Yes I for one would be grateful on any information on how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    No, no time frame was given. I guess that would be difficult. I'm not expecting it back very quickly!

Paul.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I asked for a quote from Wempe for a new Louisiana alligator strap and SS Deployment clasp to fit my GO Panomatic. These are the prices they quoted Strap £396. Clasp £595 and I HAD to collect from the store in London. Needless to say they will not see my money. I got myself a Louisiana Alligator strap of equal quality for £95 and a clasp for £55. Looks like its going back to Glashutte when its time for service

You could probably have a weekend in Dresden and a trip to the factory for the difference in those two quotes.

Hmm, quite different from what I have been quoted by Wempe. My Sport Evo Panodate, is going back to Germany for a full service and case polish, cost estimate was £595, turnaround expected to be 12 weeks. I live in London so drop-off and collection at the store is no issue.

Edited to add the quote was given after they had sent it off. No charge if I had decided not to go ahead.
    Last edited by tertius; 20th August 2014 at 18:17.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    They are in business to make money. I am not surprised at all.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Yes I think we are having to pay for that big posh store in London.

Well, I have arranged for the watch to be picked up by their courier next week, Glashutter that is. The Saga begins......

Paul.

After doing all the research, well done. Sometimes you end up in the trap of believing that the first option is correct.

I have had my Glashütte twice in Glashütte, I thought it was to poor power reserve. I submitted it to the dealer in Stockholm who then sent it to Glashütte for free. (Warranty ). Very good reception in the store, even though I did not buy it there. It came back after 3 weeks with document what they had done with the watch. There was nothing wrong with the watch, I had not shaken my arm enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Andsan View Post
    After doing all the research, well done. Sometimes you end up in the trap of believing that the first option is correct.

I have had my Glashütte twice in Glashütte, I thought it was to poor power reserve. I submitted it to the dealer in Stockholm who then sent it to Glashütte for free. (Warranty ). Very good reception in the store, even though I did not buy it there. It came back after 3 weeks with document what they had done with the watch. There was nothing wrong with the watch, I had not shaken my arm enough.
    I hesitate to recommend a way of shaking your wrist, especially to someone from Sweden!

Paul.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Good on them for being in business to make money, otherwise they'd need to register as a charity.
    I'm still surprised that they seem to imply through their pricing, that their watch repairers are billed at a higher hourly rate than the manufacturer's.
    Last edited by PJ S; 19th September 2014 at 12:05.

Well a nice lady from FedX arrived this morning to pick up the watch, armed with a service pouch and return box. I had to print off the return labels (if you are going to do this, print off 3. One for you and two for them).

All was arranged by Glashutter, I just waited-in for the courier.

So it's on it's way.....watch this space.

Paul.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paultje View Post
    I hesitate to recommend a way of shaking your wrist, especially to someone from Sweden!

Paul.
    Haven't you heard of the secret Swedish handshake?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    You could probably have a weekend in Dresden and a trip to the factory for the difference in those two quotes.
    Unfortunately GO will no longer sell anything direct to the public, otherwise I'd have done that to buy some straps. It might still have been a nice trip, actually!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Unfortunately GO will no longer sell anything direct to the public, otherwise I'd have done that to buy some straps. It might still have been a nice trip, actually!

No they let Wempe do it and charge extortionate prices for doing so

Journeyman
    Going direct to factory seems wayyyy better...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boblog View Post
    Going direct to factory seems wayyyy better...

If you read Tonys post above. Glashutte will not supply direct anymore

The story so far......

Glashutte phoned me today to say that they have looked at my watch+strap and will send me the estimate for service. I have opted for a new Trieste strap (300 euros) as the old one fell apart.

If/when I agree to the estimate they will proceed with the work and send me the bill.

....and so it goes on. Only an enthusiast would spend 1k euros on a refurb (I must me mad!) when I could buy a new watch for that......!

The men in the white coats are knocking on the door...must go.

Paul.

Master
    I thought they told you the charge would be €595 to include a new strap?

No, that was for the service only. I sent back the strap for inspection but, not surprisingly, they said it was normal wear & tear. They offered a selection of their straps for sale to replace it and I chose the Trieste.

Paul.

The latest in the Saga....

The total bill will come to 1500 euros.....inc new dial and hands (old ones are stained?) new leather strap and full service. It seems every factory does the new dial and hands bit....should have guessed really. Still, it should come back as a new watch....

Paul.

Craftsman
    That's a bit strong, new dial and hands on a 7 year old watch. Did you think they were stained or did you even notice.

The total bill will come to 1500 euros.....inc new dial and hands (old ones are stained?) new leather strap and full service. It seems every factory does the new dial and hands bit....should have guessed really. Still, it should come back as a new watch....

Paul.

Master
    It's starting to become a bit farcical now!
    It's unimpressive to learn that their dial and hands don't last any length of time, before needing swapped out.
    Which model is it that you have?

Master
    New hands and dial after 7 yrs? That shouldn't be required.

I've always admired GO and their watches but 1500 euro service has put me off being an owner in the future

^ Agreed! That's madness for a seven year old watch.
    Certainly off-putting.

You're right, of course, it is a lot of money. I haven't owned the watch from new so don't know what had happened to it before. As a result, I have decided to 'bite on the bullet' and pay for the full monty as I know that the watch I get back will be as new.

It is a GO Sport EV Pano Date in black, by the way.
    Last edited by paultje; 20th September 2014 at 11:11. Reason: Factual

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    New hands and dial after 7 yrs? That shouldn't be required.
    Really? Why's that? Do you know this particular watch and it's history? What if it's moisture damaged?

I have a 10 year old GO, immaculate in every way. So they don't all fall to bits immediately ;)

Master
    Not at least the slightly older ones!
    It's a terrible thing to think the worst of companies, but the old adage of once bitten, twice shy rings true, especially if previous experience has been in other sectors, like car servicing.
    The Sport Evo is something I'd sooner have instead of the ubiquitous Rolex, and have often recommended such, but this news is a bit unnerving.

I contacted Glashutte this week...............

Regarding servicing my recently acquired Senator Perpetual Calendar which is just coming up to 8 yrs old and I believe that it has never been serviced.

They were very prompt with their replies and advised me that a service including a new strap & refurb of the case, would cost approx 825 Euros and would take between 8-10 weeks.

The emails also included a full list of what the service entailed, and what parts would be replaced, which included replacing the crown and hands, which I don't mind, as though the lume is fairly good a new set will be even better.

They told me that I could either return it to Wempe in London, any other jeweller that sells the parent groups brands or to their Service Centre in Southampton, for onwards travelto Germany.

I am seriously considering sending my off.

But would like to ask the OP, how he arranged with GO to get a courier to collect his watch direct from him, as this would be a safer option.

I look forward to reading the OP's updates.

Master

Paul.

Yes. My IWC Mk XII definitely needed a new dial, but the hands were absolutely fine. They insisted on replacing both.

However now it's back, I don't actually think they have replaced the hands. They look exactly like the old ones to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Regarding servicing my recently acquired Senator Perpetual Calendar which is just coming up to 8 yrs old and I believe that it has never been serviced.

They were very prompt with their replies and advised me that a service including a new strap & refurb of the case, would cost approx 825 Euros and would take between 8-10 weeks.

The emails also included a full list of what the service entailed, and what parts would be replaced, which included replacing the crown and hands, which I don't mind, as though the lume is fairly good a new set will be even better.

They told me that I could either return it to Wempe in London, any other jeweller that sells the parent groups brands or to their Service Centre in Southampton, for onwards travelto Germany.

I am seriously considering sending my off.

But would like to ask the OP, how he arranged with GO to get a courier to collect his watch direct from him, as this would be a safer option.

I look forward to reading the OP's updates.
    Well, I emailed GO with a date and they arranged the courier pickup. Couldn't have been easier and they supplied the packing/service pouch. Not cheap tho......75 euros a time.

Paul.

Thanks Paul.
    I have just emailed them regarding the courier service.

How long was it away for?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Find it interesting they charge for the hands.

My Omega had a 5 year service in 2012 and all hands were changed (old ones sent back in a bag along with other bits including crown). Total price about £350. Was expecting that price so not concerned, now I reckon it was a bargain. The dial was not changed, maybe they would charge for that?

Hope the price does not increase still further.

Thanks Paul.
    I have just emailed them regarding the courier service.

How long was it away for?
    They still have it...we have just agreed on the service cost. The dial was an extra 350 euros, I think hands and stem are replaced if necessary. They are also replacing the 'timer bezel ring' on the outside as it has a scratch on it.

Paul.

I have a horrible feeling that the price they quoted me is going to be way under! What the actual estimate will be! Will give it a little while longer to think about it.
    Though they did inform that if I was to send it back via their courier service it would be 152 euros.

For what it it is worth I received an email from Wempe yesterday to say my GO is back from servicing.

I left it with them at the end of June/beginning of July, received the estimate on 3 July; at that time expected return was second week of October - so about 2-3 weeks week ahead of schedule.

I haven't picked it up yet.

Thanks for the info.
    How accurate was the estimate over the final price?

Which GO is it, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the info.
    How accurate was the estimate over the final price?

Which GO is it, if you don't mind me asking?
    They haven't notified me of any change in price, so I assume it is as per the estimate.

It is a Sport Evo Pano Date.

I shall confirm when I pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    They haven't notified me of any change in price, so I assume it is as per the estimate.

It is a Sport Evo Pano Date.

I shall confirm when I pick it up.
    Picked it up today, price was exactly as per quote. Looks lovely.

That's great news