closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best Dilemma - Daft Practical Car... which to buy

Best Dilemma - Daft Practical Car... which to buy

I currently have a 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 which I fancy swapping but no real reason to do so... but I am also a bloke and therefore it is the law I consider changing cars on a regular basis.

Decided the answer has to be either

a) Mad Nutter Estate Car (Think E63 AMG, Audi S6)
    b) Mad Nutter 4x4 (Think SC RR, ML63 etc)

My only worry on the 4x4 front is the "it's not a Range Rover factor". I have driven a E63 and it is pretty fantastic, but also silly money.

Budget is different for a new or used car... New upto £80k and Used upto £60k as the interest rates tend to vary and cost/warranty situation also makes an impact.

Great dilemma, but a surprisingly hard decision for even a short list.

Master
    Grab a Merc G Wagon!

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    Grab a Merc G Wagon!
    Looked at one and not impressed with the refinement I am afraid.....although REALLY wanted to like it !

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    Grab a Merc G Wagon!
    If I was the overly large 4X4 type, which as I don't need it I'm not, the G would be my choice, I've had a few RRovers, and briefly for about 6 months a G (though it was in 1990) way better product, substance over bling.

Audi RS6. Insanely quick and much improved handling these days.

Jeep SRT is the one to beat at the mo, And if you want real get up and go 1000bhp very easy and cheap , Total would be less than most mentioned.

While fun, just occasionally I do need a refined car for customer work. While they may be amused, they would also probably throw up :-)

Master
    Sadly I have driven none of the models listed although on Tuesday I followed an RS6 up the slip road from the services at Swindon. It took off and dissapeared at a rate of knots that was hard to comprehend, I'll upload the clip from my in car camera.

the RS6 would be my choice, always had a soft spot for them and everything I have read pretty much states that they are sure footed balistic weapon, if my lotttery numbers come up I'm straight off down the Audi dealer's?

Im back home tomorrow and will upload the clip from Tuesday

Paul

I have a current E63 AMG on Mercedes lease for silly money over 2 years, when I took it out Audi weren't doing any offers on the RS7 and I didn't think it worth the extra £400+ a month, you can get about 20k off one if you prefer purchasing outright.

Car is seriously fast, drives very well, handles nicely for a car of its size smooth and comfortable, the huge amount of torque from low revs can spin the back up easily so you need to be gentle with the throttle but it just sounds so good! I had BMW M6 (V10) before this and do prefer the extra mid range shove in the E63.

The technology a bit lacking, sat nav, iPod integration, on board computer are way behind the current BMW offerings and other items just not available such as heads up display or night vision but things such as dynamic seats, surround cameras and drive assistance package are great.

Overall its a great car but I've just not fallen in love with it as i had hoped after 9 months and find myself looking forward to test driving and ordering its replacement.

My average fuel consumption over 4000 miles largely in town has been 13mpg but can get around 28mpg on the motorway.

Banned
    Easy. Range Rover Sport SVR. Faster than an NSX round the Nurburgring in 8.14.

out next year which will give you time to save the extra 14k you will need.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Easy. Range Rover Sport SVR. Faster than an NSX round the Nurburgring in 8.14.

out next year which will give you time to save the extra 14k you will need.
    And to save for the breakdown costs!

Have to admit that Land Rover reliability has not been a selling point !

Been sorted for a while now in mine, but did have plenty of challenges.

I'm likely to go with a 2012 S4 but if I had the budget it would be the 5.2 V10 RS6!

Go for the E63, it's a great all rounder. We have a C63 estate and have driven the E63s around Brooklands and it's brutally fast and handles well for a big lump of metal.

I've not driven, but have been in the RS6 and while it's incredibly fast it's massive and a bit dull in terms of handling. It doesn't even make that great a noise, at least not compared to the E63.

The other half would love a G63 to replace her C63 but at £130k it's a bit expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    I've not driven, but have been in the RS6. It doesn't even make that great a noise, at least not compared to the E63.
    Milltek can sort that :o)

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Milltek can sort that :o)
    Indeed, certainly helps a bit. In my opinion doesn't make it fun to drive though.

It would be the G Wagen for me. Superb mechanicals and still a hand built car. But then I'm biased, mine is going strong after 35 years. You might find the trim a little agricultural though:)

Banned
    Quick cars soon become very boring on our roads been and done that, not to mention the state of the roads the ride for one can get on one's man boobs literally.

Find a car that covers 90% of your daily need with a little 10% extra for a fling, I managed that with mine, I spend a few months abroad each year driving, so the checklist was

Safety...
    Fuel consumption
    Cheap tax
    Room for 4 + Luggage
    Good communication package/entertainment package (connecteddrive < Very usefull for us and used in anger and worked perfectly)
    full service package for 5 years + UK and European roadside assistance

Ended up with a 0-60mph ...6 sec......... 155mph car which returns 40+ MPG fully loaded.

If you drive on our roads in the UK then really the E63 M5 RS7 ain't got the room to stretch their legs legally have they.

On my way to Frankfurt you find most drivers bottling out at 140 mph is quite common, hot cars mostly touch it and reduce to 110/120 mph but the blast is out of your system just as fast as the tank starts to empty. I blast past some of the more questionable vehicles that are being driven to the limit.

Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by Fords; 17th August 2014 at 07:56.

Master
    Just had a drive of the new Porsche Macan - the Diesel Sport. I have to admit not being a diesel fan, but this thing drove and handled like a faster version of our current VW Golf R32. The Turbo version, which is 40% - 50% pricier here, must be stonking. Well worth a drive.

Blog Entries
    So, basically you are looking for a Lamborghini LM002.

Menno

Craftsman
    Don't ignore the Panamera. Anyone who's got one seems to like it.
    Personally I've never found an 'all-rounder' that fully satisfies practicality and fun, which means keeping (at least) two.

I do have my classic toys to play with, but neither of them are fast in the truest sense.

Lots of good comments and advice on here as always.

Going to go and have a look at a few manufacturers today and see what strikes me from Jag, BMW, Audi as I did LR and Merc yesterday

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx View Post
    My only worry on the 4x4 front is the "it's not a Range Rover factor".
    Do you want a 4x4 or not? Seriously, the Range Rover, despite its creature comforts, is a serious 4x4. Everything else that isn't a serious 4x4, well, isn't. You have to decide whether you want a serious 4x4 or not. After that, the decision becomes a bit easier.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    Quick cars soon become very boring on our roads been and done that, not to mention the state of the roads the ride for one can get on one's man boobs literally.

Find a car that covers 90% of your daily need with a little 10% extra for a fling, I managed that with mine, I spend a few months abroad each year driving, so the checklist was

Safety...
    Fuel consumption
    Cheap tax
    Room for 4 + Luggage
    Good communication package/entertainment package (connecteddrive < Very usefull for us and used in anger and worked perfectly)
    full service package for 5 years + UK and European roadside assistance

Ended up with a 0-60mph ...6 sec......... 155mph car which returns 40+ MPG fully loaded.

If you drive on our roads in the UK then really the E63 M5 RS7 ain't got the room to stretch their legs legally have they.

On my way to Frankfurt you find most drivers bottling out at 140 mph is quite common, hot cars mostly touch it and reduce to 110/120 mph but the blast is out of your system just as fast as the tank starts to empty. I blast past some of the more questionable vehicles that are being driven to the limit.

Good luck in your search.
    535d?

Craftsman
    I think you need to decide on clearer parameters. A fun toy that can be used for business sometimes is still fairly vague.

Do you want a proper 4 x 4 or just four wheel drive or is that a red herring?

How many seats and doors?

How much of a loss are you prepared to take in your period of ownership?

What about the Overfinch variants on Land Rovers as something different.

To answer the 4x4 question.....I pretty much have no real need for 4x4, but they are kind of practical to have around..... hence the view of 4x4 and Estate cars giving me a similar outcome. For me they are just another luxury car that happen to be high up and have a big load bay.

I do like being higher up, but not a deal breaker. Unfortunately, I do seem to have found that nobody does Luxury in a 4x4 quite like Range Rover. The feel is very special, but the costs of new ones are silly and I cannot afford anything other than a run-out L322. I am not sure it would be enough of an upgrade to my current one to justify the money.

Depreciation wise I am expecting a circa £20k cost over a couple of years. I predict this based upon lease costs being about that for most of the price range should I go that route, but at least a reliable indicator.

Missed the doors and seats. 4/5 seats, 4/5 doors. We have a grandson so need easy rear seat access and room for the pram etc.

Craftsman
    Having defined what you want I think you want a newer Range Rover.

It is now up to man maths to justify the change.

We currently run a RR Vogue SE 2004 and Discovery 3 2005 as our practical vehicles and have some toys for fun. Personally can't justify changing either although newer ones of the same would be good.

I would keep the current RR and buy a toy. Loads to choose from, caterham, mx5, boxster, motorbike, and the list goes on.

It's a great problem to have!!!
    Last edited by gbk0505; 17th August 2014 at 12:06. Reason: Spellin

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    535d?
    730d

I would strike Range Rovers out straight away, Not really worth the hassle, FAR too overpriced, Not really practical, And hardly the pinnacle of good taste, Any variation is simply throwing more money at an already overpriced vehicle, The defender variants are more of a hobby for someone with long weekends and plenty spanners, If looking 4/4 For a LOT less money the Jeep has to be worth a look and the latest is an absolute top motor which out performs everything ( even most cars) at the mo, And as said the special models ( Hennessy Etc) with 1000 + bhp, and running sub 3.6 sec and still undercutting range rover prices, The new 2014 model is brilliant Std, The Jeeps Have to be on ANY serious list, I do agree the G wagon would be nice but hard to find, Any of the Seven ser BMWs are a stunning car, As is M5 and M3. the AMG or Black merc"s are well worth consideration, For me a better choice than just an expensive 4/4 is a reasonable 4/4 vehicle AND a decent car, I get a bit fed up of whatever I run and it's nice to have a change, 4/4 good for throwing stuff in and not bothering, Then a nice car for somewhere a bit special. You might buy both with your budget ??.

Master
    RSQ3? Got to be a something different!

Craftsman
    V8 diesel RRS or RR, a bit more subtle than the supercharger, but still brisk enough.
    Jeep build quality is laughable. SuperEstates have terrible ride quality on UK roads.
    That said, Jag XFRS estate?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    RSQ3? Got to be a something different!
    May as well go full-fat and have the SQ5

Master
    If I had that sort of money I'd be standing out from the crowd with a Tesla S.

Craftsman
    Mercedes R Class, possibly a V8 (if you want silly).

I owned a diesel 320 for a while which was quite quick but the ergonomics were optimised for someone 6 foot plus (I'm not!). Very comfy, more space than a small van but still a true 4x4.

Thought I would give the final outcome to this. Lots of good thoughts on here, but I did decide no to Land Rover. While I have loved having a Range Rover, the lottery of if it will start in the morning is one that gets boring after a while. A newer one was not really enough of a change to make it feel special while the latest ones are VERY expensive.

Having then decided that no 4x4 would live up to the interior of the RR, I decided to go for an estate car.

Estate Cars under consideration were

Audi S6
    Audi RS6
    Merc E63 AMG
    BMW 535 Touring

Audi were dismissed for, quite frankly, having pretty naff deals available and also disliked the salesman. The BMW went out of the window for being more expensive all rolled up than the E63. (including PX offers, interest rates etc)

So, an E63 AMG Estate in Iridium Silver, Black Leather and a bunch full of man toys is on it's way and should be with me in a couple of weeks.

Pics when I get it.

Jon

A great choice!! Love the E63 estate! Nothing sounds as good as an AMG engine!

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    May as well go full-fat and have the SQ5
    No rear headroom in a number of the sportier Audi's, even the 4/5 door versions - at least the SQ5 would have room in the rear for 6 footers.
    It's just a matter of time...