closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What is it with knives?

Today's pick

Last edited by johant; 9th February 2018 at 16:38.

An update from ColdSteel UK

Dear Knife Buyer / Valued Customer,

It appears that the recent crime wave in London has prompted the government to press ahead with their plans to change the knife laws in the UK and it looks like the changes will come within weeks, rather than months. You can read more about it on gov.uk here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...rious-violence

My interpretation of it is as follows. I must stress, this is MY PERSONAL interpretation of this document. You may read it differently and come to a different conclusion. As the document suggests we’re expecting another press release later on today.

“The new Offensive Weapons Bill, which will be brought forward within weeks, would also make it illegal to possess certain offensive weapons like zombie knives and knuckle-dusters in private.”
    Obviously the key here is the timescale. Instead of months (or possibly even never, which is what most of us hoped for), the changes will occur within weeks. The second part is making it illegal for people to own items that are classified as offensive weapons. As this relates to the ownership, and not the sale. Then this does not affect the sale of offensives weapons. However, if you’ve legally bought products, which were then added to the offensive weapons list, then you will be breaking to the law by simply owning them. If you do own any items which are on the offensive weapons list. Then one would assume there will be an opportunity for you to surrender these items without risk of prosecution.

“The commitment of new legislation will form part of the government’s Serious Violence Strategy, which will be launched tomorrow.”
    Basically, we’ll learn more later on today (Monday 9th April) when this is published. However…

“Stopping knives being sent to residential addresses after they are bought online.”
    This is obviously the most concerning thing for us all. However, this statement raises more questions than it answers:

Can we send knives to business addresses? I.e. work addresses? – I can’t imagine we can, as that doesn’t really change much.
    Can we send the knives to collection points (i.e UPS Access Point)? - That depends on the service provided by UPS. If they check both the ID AND that the person is over the age of 18. Then it may be a viable option.
    What about non-knives? I.e. Swords, Axes, Machetes. There’s no mention of them. Will they be affected? – Who knows! Your guess is as good as mine.
    What about mail order. Can we list a knife online and take an order over the phone? – At this stage we don’t know. It will all depend on the wording of the law.
    Of course one of our solutions to this change in legislation is Knife Drop www.knifedrop.co.uk. We’re currently working our socks off signing up shops and pushing the message out there.

“Updating the definition of a flick knife to reflect changing weapon designs.”
    Now this is an interesting one. I’d guess Assisted Knives and Flippers are gone. However, the big question for me is where does this stop? For example, the worst-case scenario will be if they go further and ban one-handed opening knives. I.e. Thumb-studs/Opening Holes etc. And then all we’re left with is two-handed opening knives (which is an incredibly limited range) and fixed-blades. Again, we’ll learn more as more information is released.

Anyway, that’s my two-penneth worth. I was about to type “let’s hope the news later on today will be better than we fear”, but that’s such a ridiculous statement, I refrained!

Thank you

Peter Schofield
    Managing Director
    PJS (UK) Ltd

www.coldsteel-uk.com
    www.blades.co.uk
    www.knifedrop.co.uk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I doubt there’s been one crime committed with a SAK or traditional folder.

The crims would be laughed at they carry kitchen knives and the like.

It won’t stop knife crime when there’s so few police and those we do have can’t pull anyone over for risk of allegations of racism or the like.

Like the extra police on the streets [not extra just taken from elsewhere or had leave stopped] it’s a meaningless gesture.

I must have used my Swiss Army knife at least 20 times around the house today on various [still] moving in jobs.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I am aware this is in the mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...zed-blitz.html

"The most common knife involved in these deaths is a knife from the kitchen and we must have conversations about knife crime with teenagers."

That is the crux of the matter. How do you control meaningfully kitchen knives sales? Everybody has a dozen in their home, teenagers (and older) only have to help themselves.
    It takes a refined, Hannibal Lecter styled criminal to dispatch some passer by with his favourite Rockstead
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    That is the crux of the matter. How do you control meaningfully kitchen knives sales? Everybody has a dozen in their home, teenagers (and older) only have to help themselves.
    It takes a refined, Hannibal Lecter styled criminal to dispatch some passer by with his favourite Rockstead
    This is true. The measures are designed to make the public think that knife crime is being addressed. It won't make any difference. The kind of people who commit these offences aren't going to wait for a knife to come mail order. A lot of them will have mates who can go into Wilkinsons or similar shops and buy kitchen knives. They aren't going to walk around with an 18inch 'zombie' knife, it would be something concealed in their pocket. Likewise they aren't going to buy custom knives for £200 and above. And how many parents would confront their kids if a kitchen knife went missing?

Exactly. It is a real shame that the public is so hysterical about knives as weapons. I shall (again!) blame it on a certain press that starts foaming at the mouth at the smallest opportunity. Those who regularly go to the continent can attest that the attitude to knives is completely different, knives are seen as tools. I am sure that used to be the case here as well.
    Whilst there are many handguns held illegally, against my better judgement I’ll argue that removing (legally held) handguns from the streets before the explosion of gang culture in London means that whilst unacceptable, the number of victims is still relatively small compared to what it could be. Maybe.

Blog Entries
    Exactly. It is a real shame that the public is so hysterical about knives as weapons. I shall (again!) blame it on a certain press that starts foaming at the mouth at the smallest opportunity. Those who regularly go to the continent can attest that the attitude to knives is completely different, knives are seen as tools. I am sure that used to be the case here as well.
    Whilst there are many handguns held illegally, against my better judgement I’ll argue that removing (legally held) handguns from the streets before the explosion of gang culture in London means that whilst unacceptable, the number of victims is still relatively small compared to what it could be. Maybe.
    Yes as you say, there is different attitude on the Continent towards knives. As for removing legally held guns reducing the number of victims, I doubt it had much effect. The difficulty of obtaining a FAC, with police checks and the 'good reason' requirements would probably mean it wouldn't be a route those involved in the gang culture would have taken. Although the theft of legally held guns could always contribute in a small way.

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post

“The new Offensive Weapons Bill, which will be brought forward within weeks, would also make it illegal to possess certain offensive weapons...

Any news on that front, please? I've been looking myself but haven't seen anything.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was using my opinel N6 last night bought from the Opinel museum last year,well worth a visit.
    The woman who sold me mine pointed to one of the displays and told me that one was my grandmothers it was well worn and used.
    What a great knife for food prep,though I was thinking how crazy you can’t take it out in the UK [unless you remove the locking ring which renders it far less safe].
    The N8 is probably the best size for large hands [of which I also have a very old one].

I have a few very interesting knives from my travelling,including a military USA signaler/linesman knife and pliers set in leather pouch and a lovely old traditional Bavarian knife bought from a small shop on the outskirts of Munich that only opened once in the week I was there.

You could also argue that the RIF act, which made buying replica firearms almost impossible actually contributed to the upswing in knife crime.

Personally, I'd rather be threatened with a replica gun than stabbed with a real knife, but I'm a bit old fashioned like that...

Of course, like you, I have no solid evidence to back up my theory

M

Opinels are phenomenal for the money, and indeed for far more given the cutting performance you get from those extremely thinly ground blades.

I tried in vain to find a stabilised wood or plastic handled plain edge one for venturing into the sea with, but the only options seemed to be a huge Adventure model, which was comically large, or a kid's one that had a rounded tip. If I was home I'd be able to grind a tip on, but not out here unfortunately.

So I ended up with yet another Spartan. The bottle opener has already been put to good use, so at least the Opinel hasn't been missed for those tasks.

It always makes me smile when I fly out of Helsinki airport and have a chance to browse the fantastic display of Martiinni knives in the departure area. Such a display would cause palpitations from the politicians and the media in the UK.

Pre 9/11 I bought many SAK's in the airside shops in Zurich airport. Sadly no more.

I see little in the way of regulations in the current Offensive Weapons Bill that will have any effect on the criminal element, but it is likely to be hugely frustrating for some of the general public. It would be interesting to know the proportion of offences involving bladed objects that were acquired over the internet.

There you are, trying to have a reasoned and factual argument. T
    Think of the children!!!

(I completely agree. I even have a couple of pen knives sold on board by Air France)

Master
    Blog Entries
    By law you can take a cadet SAK onto the aircraft believe it or not,I took one to Malta and Germany.
    But not one with a corkscrew.

When I fly with cabin luggage I always have my minichamp in my toilet bag

When I fly with cabin luggage I always have my minichamp in my toilet bag
    ???
    I have had a pair of nail clippers confiscated when flying from Stansted to Dublin!

I don’t fly Ryanair

Joking aside, I don’t know. It could be Stansted because no problem in Heathrow, Gatwick or Luton

Master
    Blog Entries
    I got a letter from the airport confirming what’s legal in case security tried to confiscate.

Surely legality is only half of the argument, as airlines are (presumably) entitled to have their own rules too regarding what is and is not allowed on the cabin?

EDIT: With hindsight, I guess different rules for different carriers would be very hard for the security desk to police though!

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Surely legality is only half of the argument, as airlines are (presumably) entitled to have their own rules too regarding what is and is not allowed on the cabin?

EDIT: With hindsight, I guess different rules for different carriers would be very hard for the security desk to police though!
    Exactly: when you go through security checks they screen your luggage without knowing which airline you’re flying.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This one has just arrived from Serbia a Wenger from 1978.
    The height of punk,Sham 69 on the telly and my first tour of NI.

It needs oiling and sharpening but I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

Lovely! I really don't think those Alox SAK's can be beaten.

My modern Victorinox says "Hi".....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Lovely! I really don't think those Alox SAK's can be beaten.

My modern Victorinox says "Hi".....

Proof that good designs tend to endure.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I had my Leatherman Sqrt PS4 ‘confnscated’ at London City.
    After the usual ‘it’s TSA approved’ ‘so, we’re in the U.K., so CAA rules trump TSA’ I asked to see a senior manager.

They rolled out the Airport Duty Manager who pointed to an entry in the guidance that says Pliers are banned under CAA rules as they don’t specify the size!

Whereas there are size guides given for scissors, so the small scissors on the tool are allowed, but not the pliers!

So, I was advised to use the ‘cheap’ forwarding service, which cost me €40 to send it to NL!!
    It would have been cheaper to bin it and buy a new one, but it was the principle.

PS, I’m getting used to the more mature attitude of the Dutch to carrying ‘normal’ knives, So far I’ve been carrying a variety of single bladed folders like the CRKT CEO & Swindle, or even the good old UKP from Spyderco. They get used all the time and always get a smile.

Let’s be fair, I’m not waving them around wildly in the street am I!

But at the weekend I saw a jar of mini Opinels in the local gift shop , right by the till, a boy (around 8) saw these and asked his Mum if he could have one for ‘playing in the garden’, she smiled and said ‘Yes’ so he got to choose one, the sales assistant explained that he needed to be careful and even gave him a small Opinel guide for children!

When I smiled and said ‘this wouldn’t be allowed in the UK’ all adults replied with comments similar to ’ that’s why you have teenage knife crime, your kids don’t understand a knife can cut, it’s not like a video game’.

A mature attitude, similar to the Simpsons ‘Boys will be Boys’ , seems simplistic, but we’ve been here 7 months tomorrow and there hasn’t been one teenage (or any other) stabbing in the news, true there have been more than one use of hand grenades by gangs, but no ‘death by stupidity’ stabbings.

A Soldier. Has the WK Waffenkontrolle stamp of the Swiss army.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    A Soldier. Has the WK Waffenkontrolle stamp of the Swiss army.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It has the stamp in the photo.

It has the stamp in the photo.
    It wasn’t a question

Master
    Blog Entries
    It wasn’t a question
    OK thank you for the info

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    I had my Leatherman Sqrt PS4 ‘confnscated’ at London City.
    After the usual ‘it’s TSA approved’ ‘so, we’re in the U.K., so CAA rules trump TSA’ I asked to see a senior manager.

They rolled out the Airport Duty Manager who pointed to an entry in the guidance that says Pliers are banned under CAA rules as they don’t specify the size!

Whereas there are size guides given for scissors, so the small scissors on the tool are allowed, but not the pliers!

So, I was advised to use the ‘cheap’ forwarding service, which cost me €40 to send it to NL!!
    It would have been cheaper to bin it and buy a new one, but it was the principle.
    I assume in your hand luggage?

I've bought knives in the US and pack them in the hold baggage, no problems then.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I assume in your hand luggage?

I've bought knives in the US and pack them in the hold baggage, no problems then.
    Yes, hand luggage

Rob

Grand Master
    I've thought exactly the same about watches coincidentally,why would anyone want to pay huge amounts for something to hang off your wrist when your mobile phone has the time on it.

Why is that.......any others collect watches on here?.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My sister in laws father was one of the last trained commandos in 1945 Scotland.
    After training they where set to embark to Japan when they where stood down and disbanded.

He’s a plucky old fella in his 90s now last time I saw him I managed to get a few story’s out of him.
    He showed me his issued commando fighting knife but he had somehow lost the scabbard over the years.

I’ve managed to source him a new pattern scabbard from a knife makers in Sheffield,I am posting it tomorrow as a surprise.

The wings where used to sew into clothing if desired sometimes cut of,often the elastic would snap it was poor quality.
    most where made by the woman of the knife makers and so no 2 where exactly the same.

His is the 3rd pattern all black.

https://www.fairbairnsykesfightingkn...d-pattern.html
    Last edited by bwest76; 23rd July 2019 at 22:17.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What a great gift for him

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Fairburn and Sykes, much understated, developed a cracking combat knife, served us well over the years.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You don’t want to collect them all,countless variations.

Further to the story I was having lunch with my brothers wife yesterday.
    I thought he left when they where disbanded,it seems he went to a lot of the empires hot spots until 1956 but I don’t know what unit.
    I shall speak to him next time I am in London.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My decision to stop buying knives and off load a few is going well.

I had stopped for a coffee in Viverio then put on my helmet and bike gear rode 30m and saw a outdoors shop.

So stopped again gear off and 15 minutes later I had a much lighter wallet.

Non locking and sub 3” blade with exquisite scales of highly polished stone of some sort.

Lovely snap,centres perfect and good balance.

Master
    My decision to stop buying knives and off load a few is going well.

I had stopped for a coffee in Viverio then put on my helmet and bike gear rode 30m and saw a outdoors shop.

So stopped again gear off and 15 minutes later I had a much lighter wallet.

Non locking and sub 3” blade with exquisite scales of highly polished stone of some sort.

Lovely snap,centres perfect and good balance.

Looks great. What's the profile when closed? Blade seems large for the handle.

I got a new UK legal today kizer zipslip. Outstanding for the money, built like a tank, and in my experience, a hell of a steel! Only gripe is the cutting edge is a tad short considering its overall size. I love a OHO slip joint though, especially with deep carry pocket clip

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Looks great. What's the profile when closed? Blade seems large for the handle.

I got a new UK legal today kizer zipslip. Outstanding for the money, built like a tank, and in my experience, a hell of a steel! Only gripe is the cutting edge is a tad short considering its overall size. I love a OHO slip joint though, especially with deep carry pocket clip

Nice knife, and an interesting take on the backspring.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Nice knife, and an interesting take on the backspring.
    It's a backspring with a cover on it. It means the maker can concentrate on other things rather than the fit of the spring to the liners/scales.

Also designed to be hard open soft close, which I never understood!

Always lovely to see more OHO carry blades though, and the designer is a nice chap.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is my 1945 Navy jack knife,so different to a Swiss army knife.

sheeps foot blade for safety
    old style brutal can opener
    heavy duty marlin spike for rope and shackle work
    straight screwdriver on the end of the body

I have cleaned, oiled and sharpened it,I can pinch open the blades.

for its age its in remarkable condition most have chunks missing of the scales.

Might I point any knife afficiandos to the fundraiser auction for a WW1 pattern 8173 folding knife here:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?465426-Fundraiser-auction-WW1-Knife-Pattern-8173

I've always carried a pocket knife and have never felt the need to wave it around menacingly, even during instances where menace was required, where elbows/head/feet were far better tools. That was until very recently, when I was in Family Court and was asked by a gloomy security guard to open the bundle I had prepared and brought to court for my ex, so he could check it for explosives. I stupidly picked up my keys, opened the teeny blade on my SAK and opened the bundle. The guard snatched the keys from me, took the SAK off and handed the keys back. I've had that knife for the best part of 30 years and the blade has been lovingly sharpened to a hair-splitting sharpness. Oh well. Daily carry is now a Boker Plus Wasabi with carbon fibre scales, tip down pocket clip and a reasonable steel in the form of 440c, which takes and holds a decent edge. I will just have to remember not to put it in my pocket the next time I'm in court!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    I've always carried a pocket knife and have never felt the need to wave it around menacingly, even during instances where menace was required, where elbows/head/feet were far better tools. That was until very recently, when I was in Family Court and was asked by a gloomy security guard to open the bundle I had prepared and brought to court for my ex, so he could check it for explosives. I stupidly picked up my keys, opened the teeny blade on my SAK and opened the bundle. The guard snatched the keys from me, took the SAK off and handed the keys back. I've had that knife for the best part of 30 years and the blade has been lovingly sharpened to a hair-splitting sharpness. Oh well. Daily carry is now a Boker Plus Wasabi with carbon fibre scales, tip down pocket clip and a reasonable steel in the form of 440c, which takes and holds a decent edge. I will just have to remember not to put it in my pocket the next time I'm in court!
    The court kept it ?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Like watches, cars, fashion and everything else. Some people are obsessed and some couldn't care less.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    The same scenario happened to me at Rochdale Magistrates Court when I answered an overloading charge a few years ago; only difference was that they gave me the knife (an Opinel) back when I left.

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    The court kept it ?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    I was told that it would be sent off to a holding centre and I would have to make an application to ask for it to be returned to me. I left court intending to make the application but didn't follow it through in the time frame. It's no big deal really.

I have just wasted an enjoyable 5 minutes reading this thread.

I find a small knife to be a very useful tool and carry one every day, I have done since I was a teen. Whilst I appreciate the skill that goes in to making a quality knife I don’t have any, my knifes are quite basic but they are used as intended.

From top to bottom:
    1. A nice thin SAK, I have had this over 20 years and it still sits in my work day sack. Useful for opening parcels and letters, I am always amazed at the number of people that ask to borrow it when in the office.

2. A smaller SAK this fits well in a jeans watch pocket. So that’s where it lives, mainly used for cutting biltong in the pub.

3. A 1950 dated MOD jack knife, it sits in my shooting bag, the screwdriver at the end is useful for adjusting sights

4. 1996 dated RM jack knife at sits in another shooting bag for the same reason as above this one is a locking knife though.

5. A one handed assisted opener, this gets used a lot when visiting family in Africa. (Not on the family obviously)

6. A tiny thin little lock knife, it sits in the kitchen drawer mainly, I wish it was a friction lock as it would be perfect for everyday use.

7. Another SAK, this time a lock, this also goes to Africa with me as my fishing knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I have just wasted an enjoyable 5 minutes reading this thread.

I find a small knife to be a very useful tool and carry one every day, I have done since I was a teen. Whilst I appreciate the skill that goes in to making a quality knife I don’t have any, my knifes are quite basic but they are used as intended.

From top to bottom:
    1. A nice thin SAK, I have had this over 20 years and it still sits in my work day sack. Useful for opening parcels and letters, I am always amazed at the number of people that ask to borrow it when in the office.

2. A smaller SAK this fits well in a jeans watch pocket. So that’s where it lives, mainly used for cutting biltong in the pub.

3. A 1950 dated MOD jack knife, it sits in my shooting bag, the screwdriver at the end is useful for adjusting sights

4. 1996 dated RM jack knife at sits in another shooting bag for the same reason as above this one is a locking knife though.

5. A one handed assisted opener, this gets used a lot when visiting family in Africa. (Not on the family obviously)

6. A tiny thin little lock knife, it sits in the kitchen drawer mainly, I wish it was a friction lock as it would be perfect for everyday use.

7. Another SAK, this time a lock, this also goes to Africa with me as my fishing knife.

Like you I am a massive fan of Victorinox saks. Have a look at the alox bantam, talk about utility for such a slim item...