closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it with knives?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    That sharpener worked a treat by the way, good tip!
    Great! I'm often nervous about recommending things, but for the money you can't go wrong with that. Spyderco have a similar thing for more money. I sometimes wonder if that one may have a finer stone, but I can shave with my Laguiole off the Lansky, so it can't be too bad.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cornholio; 31st January 2017 at 08:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob (NZ) View Post
    40, as in number 40, or for your 40th birthday?

Rob.
    40th birthday, 40 knives, that would be shocking........ sits down to think about how many he has!

its got to be approaching 35-40, plus a couple of axes, mainly sub 3" slipjoints, well 20ish i suppose.

i rotate the user each week much in the same way many on here swap out their watch.
    i'll post a pic once i have it. its looking good at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    you are measured by my French friends by how nice your knife is.
    I suppose it's no weirder than judging someone by which brogues they're wearing...

M

Just got this out the box today. No fancy names just a working tool. Its a bit medieval. I would say they have been making these in Pakistan for a while. Sharp as an axe! I wouldn't want to touch the edge again. Bought it for the leather sheath really. Have a look what it costs for a handmade leather sheath and you will see this is a bargain. £25.00 delivered. Comes with a hammer at the back. Will see what it can do at the weekend.

Probably not one for Ray Mears.

this just landed

Another arrival today. Its a Robin Wood axe. Total surprise as it is a gift. Straight out the box, not cleaned it up. Sharpest axe I have ever owned. Bevels are ground by Sheffield's last independent grinder Brian Alcock. It has a razor edge.
    Check out the site if you want one. The sheath for these is an extra and out of stock at the moment.

http://wood-tools.co.uk/

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stevec View Post
    this just landed
    That is a work of art. May I ask where you got that from?

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus04 View Post
    That is a work of art. May I ask where you got that from?
    i commissioned it from Shing Chan, if you google shingcrafts you should find him.

there is more to it than you can see as well, the liners are mill relieved to avoid scratching the tangs of the blades. i can recommend him wholehartedly

Master

Stabby McKnife says " put me in your enemies"

Master

Special forces, special survival combo

Greenman Bushcraft got a deal on and it might be good for some of you. Looks like its just for the weekend.

We're sorry! We had a few technical issues through the night - so here is an apology to those affected, as well as those who were not - save 15%*.

As an apology, we're offering a 15% saving*

Simply place an order online between 17:05 (3/2/17) and 23:59 (5/2/17) and you will save 11% from your current order and bank 4% of points to save on your next order (see terms at the end of the newsletter). This saving applies to anything on the website – but the order must be completed online to benefit from this great deal.

Just use the code: SORRY217 at the checkout. Save 11% and bank 4% (you will need to sign into your account or create a new one at the time of ordering to benefit from the extra 4%).

http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    Another arrival today. Its a Robin Wood axe. Total surprise as it is a gift. Straight out the box, not cleaned it up. Sharpest axe I have ever owned. Bevels are ground by Sheffield's last independent grinder Brian Alcock. It has a razor edge.
    Check out the site if you want one. The sheath for these is an extra and out of stock at the moment.

http://wood-tools.co.uk/

Mine was delivered blunt as a butter knife.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Mine was delivered blunt as a butter knife.
    Blimey that's amazing. Did you complain? Spent the day working with mine, its a tad too sharp. A very fine edge. Dinged it cutting Willow. Rubbed it out this evening with a stone.

Master
    Blimey that's amazing. Did you complain? Spent the day working with mine, its a tad too sharp. A very fine edge. Dinged it cutting Willow. Rubbed it out this evening with a stone.
    I just let it be. I've no use for it at present, being at uni and living g in central London. Just bought all my gear in preparation while I could afford it. Wont be too hard to take some sandpaper and leather to it when I actually need it.

Tomahawk

Had this a couple of months now. Stripped the head back to bare metal and the Hickory shaft back to natural. Three or four coats of Linseed oil and it looks and feels pretty cool. I done the Para-cord rap thingy but not sure if I like it.
    Lovely bit of kit though by one of my favorite manufacturers, Cold Steel.
    This model is the Norse Hawk.

Really good to handle and an excellent balance. 22 inch shaft.
    Last edited by luckywatch; 17th February 2017 at 19:35.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stevec View Post
    i commissioned it from Shing Chan, if you google shingcrafts you should find him.

there is more to it than you can see as well, the liners are mill relieved to avoid scratching the tangs of the blades. i can recommend him wholehartedly
    Thanks for that Steve. Sorry for the late reply, his knives look really good quality thanks again for pointing me in the right direction

So what is the current law re carrying a penknife? Call me stupid or forgetful but I'm currently doing jury service and had a penknife/ utility knife which has been on my car keys for many, many years confiscated. I completely forgot it was even there, I've now got to write to the court to ask for it back but the security told me that carrying any knife, even my 1.5" penknife is now illegal.

Law has not changed. If it's under 3" and doesn't lock it benefits from an exemption to S139 of Criminal Justice Act 1988.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    So what is the current law re carrying a penknife? Call me stupid or forgetful but I'm currently doing jury service and had a penknife/ utility knife which has been on my car keys for many, many years confiscated. I completely forgot it was even there, I've now got to write to the court to ask for it back but the security told me that carrying any knife, even my 1.5" penknife is now illegal.
    The law has not changed for some time. Sub 3 inch, non locking blade, legal to carry and sometimes defined as every day carry or "a gentleman's pocket knife"

There are exemptions of course, carrying anything that could be construed as a weapon into a court in not permitted, same with going through security at an airport. A 5 d cell maglite is not "illegal" but, you'd be hard pressed trying to get that into a court. You're knife is not illegal but, it was just simpler for the guardians of our justice, G4S, to say that

Ok cheers, just wanted to know that i wouldn't be tasered and maced if stopped 😊

Do claim it back, and do it quickly as they'll claim they have "destroyed " it (yeah, right. )
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Ok cheers, just wanted to know that i wouldn't be tasered and maced if stopped 
    Oh that might still happen!

Two people with white sticks have been tazered, you take your chances walking about that heavily armed.........

My latest toy. The Cold Steel Gladius. I thought it would not be the real thing but it is. Unbreakable handle. 19'' full tang blade. I put the cord on it. Sharp as sharp can be..............................

My latest toy. The Cold Steel Gladius. I thought it would not be the real thing but it is. Unbreakable handle. 19'' full tang blade. I put the cord on it. Sharp as sharp can be..............................

Now thats what I call a knife. I want one, where did you get it from?

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Now thats what I call a knife. I want one, where did you get it from?
    These guys...........................................

http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/Gladius-Machete.html

Blog Entries
    This is my special hand made knife.

A thread resurrection I know, but I wanted to see whether anyone else prefers the more traditional and basic 'gentleman's pen knife' referred to in a previous post.

I haven't had one for a long time and in the end decided to buy a very cheap NOS one from a place in Sheffield. I was very tempted by one of the many second hand ones around though. Anyone else got any to share?

Knife Sales Ban Coming Soon?

15% OFF Everything this Bank Holiday!
    Check out the sale at Greenman Bushcraft.

http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/

http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/b...-the-works.htm

Master
    I guess my knife collection, if you call it that, is larger than my watch collection. The difference is that most watches I have sitting in a box do not work properly and all my knives actually cut. I have no real expensive ones (actually that is not true, an uncle once gave me a handmade hunting knife commissioned from a friend that must be worth a lot more than I would ever pay for a knife, and thus it is never usee and sits in a drawer). They are meant to be used. I always carry three - a Leatherman multitool and a Laguiole in sheaths on my belt and a Leatherman squirt scissors with extras in my pocket, and take a fixed blade when I step out to do yard work or go for a hike in the woods. Between the cars, garage, garden shed and root cellar we have 7 or 8 Mora work knives, and then there are a couple of puukkos, a Hultafors OK4 outdoor knife, three machetes, two Gransfors Bruk axes and a few cheap ones, some hook knives and a scythe. They all see use as we live in a rural location with some land so we prune, chop, saw, split wood, make stakes, cut grass for the donkeys and so on. For ballooning I carry a serrated cord cutting rescue knife in the basket, it is a regulatory obligation to have that (also a Mora btw). I have made it a point to have a fixed blade work knife and a cheap multitool in every car. All affordable beater stuff. This does not count a few blades I inherited from my father, including a samurai war sword with some history.
    I have an interest in knives, have modified my machetes and am beginning to get serious about sharpening by hand. Yesterday evening I used an old leuku (large puukko) to chop some annoying thorny vines while plucking blackberries, and later sat honing it while watching tv... ;-)

I do carry one around. Always, unless I'm flying.

Useful tool

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    A thread resurrection I know, but I wanted to see whether anyone else prefers the more traditional and basic 'gentleman's pen knife' referred to in a previous post.

I haven't had one for a long time and in the end decided to buy a very cheap NOS one from a place in Sheffield. I was very tempted by one of the many second hand ones around though. Anyone else got any to share?

I have dozens of pocket knives and a few sheath knives, here are a few vintage/antique ones.
    I didn't pay much for any of them, sometimes less than a pound.

This is the largest at around three and a half inches closed. A rare 1960's Victorinox 'Salesman' model, and my every day carry now.

Last edited by bobbee; 31st May 2019 at 14:23. Reason: reinstating photos

Blog Entries
    I make knives and some go to hard use by people who hunt and shoot, like bushcraft or camping and others may go to collectors.

Knives are one of the oldest tools we have. I normally have a sub 3inch folder in my pocket, it's the only knife I personally use regularly.

A couple I made earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    I have dozens of pocket knives and a few sheath knives, here are a few vintage/antique ones.
    I didn't pay much for any of them, sometimes less than a pound.

This is the largest at around three and a half inches closed. A rare 1960's Victorinox 'Salesman' model, and my every day carry now.
    Thanks bobbee, exactly what I was thinking of.

For my 21st (mid 1980s) a friend gave me quite a fancy Victorinox with a black handle. He worked in the trade and told me to look after it as it was rare. Needless to say a few years later I had lost it but I miss it now.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I make knives and some go to hard use by people who hunt and shoot, like bushcraft or camping and others may go to collectors.

Knives are one of the oldest tools we have. I normally have a sub 3inch folder in my pocket, it's the only knife I personally use regularly.

A couple I made earlier.

Perfection, a joy to behold.

Blog Entries
    15% OFF Everything this Bank Holiday!
    Check out the sale at Greenman Bushcraft.

[...]

http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/b...-the-works.htm
    Hell's teeth government, just leave people alone!

Craftsman
    I've always been quite fascinated with auto knives but not sure on the legality of owning them. It seems that it's only illegal to bring them into the uk or sell them, so does that mean it's ok to buy/own as it appears to me that isn't illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

A couple I made earlier.
    Those are incredible. Do you have a website?

It's all in a name...

It's all in a name...
    Doh - thanks.

Car boot find, hidden in a box under the sellers table...

- - - Updated - - -

Car boot find, hidden in a box under the sellers table...

Last edited by bobbee; 31st May 2019 at 14:26. Reason: reinstating photos

Blog Entries
    Perfection, a joy to behold.
    Thanks guys.
    Ian

Master
    Lovely work from Oldoak there.

I have a few penknives - nothing special though. Have a Swiss Army one that is a replacement for a 30th birthday present that someone stole off me so I had to get another and a small Gerber one that I really like. On holiday recently, I found myself looking at the all knives on offer in the market (we were in Paraguay for a day) and ended up getting one. Don't need it and will probably only ever use it to open parcels (big parcels only!) and then put it away.

Would like to get one special one at some point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Lovely work from Oldoak there.

I have a few penknives - nothing special though. Have a Swiss Army one that is a replacement for a 30th birthday present that someone stole off me so I had to get another and a small Gerber one that I really like. On holiday recently, I found myself looking at the all knives on offer in the market (we were in Paraguay for a day) and ended up getting one. Don't need it and will probably only ever use it to open parcels (big parcels only!) and then put it away.

Would like to get one special one at some point.
    I have a few small penknives and they're the only knives I really have a use for, most cost under £20 (some a bit more!) but just enjoy using them.
    Ian
    ps thanks!

Master
    This is what I bought from Paraguay - cost me all of US$10 or 56,000 in the local currency (PYG)! It was a 5.11 Tactical shop but that was all quite expensive and they also had some nice Smith and Wesson blades there. This one has a small part at the back of the handle to break glass etc and also a notch to cut cables etc. Pretty sharp and feels nice in the hand.

Master
    https://edgematters.uk/

lots of good stuff on here, nice helpful friendly forum, lots of custom made stuff including Ian's knives

Grand Master
    a functional and well kept blade is a pleasure to use for daily cooking preparation as well as any other cutting tasks
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    This is my special hand made knife.

Where did you get that if you don't mind me asking?

A couple of fixed blades in my mainly vintage folding collection, 4.25 and 6 inch blades respectively.
    First has bone scales, second is resin with a strange design insert and a lion rampant on the metal tipped sheath.

Last edited by bobbee; 31st May 2019 at 14:28. Reason: reinstating photos

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lee View Post
    I used to be in the Armed Forces and one of my jobs was an Instructor on the SERE School. I had a decent knife and used it every day. After that i got more into Bushcraft and Wilderness Living and used it a couple of weekends a month. I also use it in the kitchen for food prep as well as at Barby time, in the garden for various tasks and i've recently started teaching my kids knife safety and carving.

As an engineer by trade and enjoying creating things i decided to start making my own knives. No, not as a business, just so i know how to. I've made myself some knives, some as gifts and through that i got a couple of commissions. When i built knives i decided to start making sheathes for them. I learned leather craft and, whilst i'm not up to pro standards as with my knife making, i'm pretty happy with my creations.

I carry a folder around with me everyday. I have it in my trouser pocket and, without it, like not wearing a watch, i'd feel naked.

No, i'm not trying to justify why i like knives. I get that some don't 'get' it the same as i don't 'get' road cycling, dance music, reality TV and having to have the latest 'Tech'; it doesn't make it wrong, they just are not my bag baby!

Besides, as a great Yorkshireman once said 'Tis better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!'.
    I thought that was Don Covay.

I can see the attraction, especially when some look as good as they do, and part of me wouldn't mind one or two.

However, I'm not to be trusted around sharp things, so would quite soon be digitless.