closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone6

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    I have a 5 and didn't see any point upgrading to the 5s.
    I may get a 6 depending on what new features it has.
    I was desperate for a larger screen, but have recently got glasses so my 5 looks massive now I don't have to hold it at arms length.

Try one of the new tempered glass ones. Miles better than the plastic ones and no bubbles.
    There's one on Amazon for a tenner. Which ain't bad. Every time I get a new phone I get a cover but usually bin it within a month through irritation. Plus my bank account covers the phone for damage.

As for the 6; dunno. Got a 5s now and it's ok. I don't get how people can be so polarized about them though, it's not like I'm looking down on Android users. (I totally am, though!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
    There's one on Amazon for a tenner. Which ain't bad.
    Mine was only £2.99 on Ebay.

Only a few days to go now:

http://www.apple.com/live/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Only a few days to go now:

http://www.apple.com/live/
    I popped into the Apple store in Cardiff this week and one of the sales assistants wouldn't be drawn on release date or price, claiming no one in the store knew.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I popped into the Apple store in Cardiff this week and one of the sales assistants wouldn't be drawn on release date or price, claiming no one in the store knew.
    I think they are announcing it on the 9th and it will be on sale 10 days later on the 19th.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I think they are announcing it on the 9th and it will be on sale 10 days later on the 19th.
    Yep, Apple SOP.

It's how the past few iPhones have all been announced and released.

Some morons queuing already in The States. It's only a promotional event on 9th Sep and not even for sale until 19th!

They should be shot.

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Some morons queuing already in The States. It's only a promotional event on 9th Sep and not even for sale until 19th!

They should be shot.
    It appears they are getting paid to do so.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/p...r-the-iphone-6

Still have the 4S and haven't seen any reason to upgrade as yet. Be interested to see if there is any major improvement/innovation. If it is a significant improvement it may well convince me to upgrade. Failing that, might consider getting the 5S as prices will be dropping a fair bit.

Been needing a new phone and this should drive down the prices of the 5s so will see what happens. As an apple fan boy I hope apple start to lead again rather than follow as they have for the past few incarnations

Craftsman
    Will be buying one, anyone have an idea how much the 5s is worth at the moment?

Would I get £350 for my grey one? Its in mint condition?

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post

Have a look at Completed Listings on eBay. That will give you the best idea of current market values.

Craftsman
    Have a look at Completed Listings on eBay. That will give you the best idea of current market values.
    Just had a browse - £300-£350 is the average really, they all look a bit worse for wear compared to my own...I'll have a think...will have to be a fast one mind.

Red face Depends very much on memory?

You don't say if it's 16/32/64GB?

64GB, in mint condition, possibly £500?

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post

Something else which you don't have is the privilege to advertise it for sale here. Surreptitiously or otherwise.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradt Pitt View Post
    In fairness that was a pointless model anyway IMO. Supposed to be a budget phone - at that price?!
    I have the 5s and love the size. Anything bigger is just straying into phablet territory I reckon...
    According to various tech/business sites, phablets are the real growth area. Although there has been a history of Apple/Apple users making rude comments about phablets, they will, I suspect, follow along and produce a phone with a greater than 5" screen. (I've never had a smart phone with a screen less than 5". I didn't see the point of it. My current one has a 7" screen, which may be too big. Perhaps 6-6.5" would be better.)

Best wishes,
    Bob

I just don't get what all the fuss is about, as said earlier my work phone is a 5s, a mate has the 4 and other than size there's not much to choose between them, rumours are that the 6 will be a bigger (5.5) screen, will this lead to a surge in Apple manbag sales to carry the device around in, from this you may gather that I for one wont be standing outside an Apple store on a cold autumn night at mad o'clock waiting for the doors to open.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauting View Post
    I've always had an iPhone but changed to android when the iPhone 5 came out, now I can't wait to get back to an iPhone.

Reasons are the build quality and how the apps seem to be better configured on an iPhone than on an android device.
    Could you explain this please

The very concept of getting excited about any new electronic gadget is completely alien to me and I’ve lost what little ‘upgrade-itis’ I ever had - and that wasn’t much to begin with.

Unless something is going to give me significant improvement over the predecessor then I stick with what I’ve got. In the case of iPhones that happens to be a 4S and which has been my 3rd phone in over a decade, the previous two only being changed when they expired.

No doubt I will own a 6 sometime in the future, but it sure won’t be a new one...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I am normally one of the biggest fan boys ever and buy every new iOS devise. But fir the first time ever I am actually not bothered, I have the 5s but have started looking at android and windows phones just because I am ever so slightly bored of my iphone and iOS. I may order a new handset but the features have to be useful not gimmicky nor am I interested in a phablet. I did that with my windows phone back in the day.

Master
    In reply to the statement on Android phone build quality I had an iPhone and replaced it with a galaxy note 2 and can say that the build quality of the Samsung is superb and it is a far better phone than my iPhone I wouldn't go back to iPhone and as for build quality have a look at the HTC one M8 for sheer quality.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    According to various tech/business sites, phablets are the real growth area. Although there has been a history of Apple/Apple users making rude comments about phablets, they will, I suspect, follow along and produce a phone with a greater than 5" screen. (I've never had a smart phone with a screen less than 5". I didn't see the point of it. My current one has a 7" screen, which may be too big. Perhaps 6-6.5" would be better.)

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I hope you don't think I was making 'rude comments about phablets'. To me a smartphone must be a PHONE first and foremost, and I just find some of the larger smartphones too big to comfortably hold during a call. That's just me though. To each his own :-)

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradt Pitt View Post
    I hope you don't think I was making 'rude comments about phablets'. To me a smartphone must be a PHONE first and foremost, and I just find some of the larger smartphones too big to comfortably hold during a call. That's just me though. To each his own :-)
    Not at all. In any case, I agree with the idea that they are awkward to hold to the head. I use a bluetooth earpiece. Nokia BH-217. It stays in a cradle (v. small), when I'm not using it. Getting it out of the cradle turns it on and connects it. It is connected by the time I get it to my ear. Since it is off when in the cradle, it needs charging every couple of months (I don't talk on the phone a lot). I don't even need to touch my phone to receive calls or make calls (if I'm willing to use voice dialing).

Best wishes,
    Bob

I don't get all the hype every time apple launch a new Iphone. Is each upgrade really that much better than the last? It amuses me when people pay hundreds of pounds to upgrade every time a new version comes out.

I do think apple makes nice phones and tablets and they have a premuim feel but I've vowed to never buy another apple product again as I can't stand all the protection that itunes put on when you download their music and how hard they make it to link a new laptop to your existing apple product. The iphone is also too small.

I'm now an Android man, it's probably the weakest operating system but does the job and there's great apps support without the annoying protection issues that apple products have. Windows phones have the nicest interface but the apps support just isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    I don't get all the hype every time apple launch a new Iphone. Is each upgrade really that much better than the last? It amuses me when people pay hundreds of pounds to upgrade every time a new version comes out.

I do think apple makes nice phones and tablets and they have a premuim feel but I've vowed to never buy another apple product again as I can't stand all the protection that itunes put on when you download their music and how hard they make it to link a new laptop to your existing apple product. The iphone is also too small.

I'm now an Android man, it's probably the weakest operating system but does the job and there's great apps support without the annoying protection issues that apple products have. Windows phones have the nicest interface but the apps support just isn't there.
    Draconian protection in iProducts is for a reason, hope you do not have any personal/sensitive data on your Android device..

I think most people probably upgrade every couple of generations or so (which generally is a compelling upgrade). Some might upgrade their phone every year, but every two years is probably the average.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Draconian protection in iProducts is for a reason, hope you do not have any personal/sensitive data on your Android device..
    Like nude photographs of oneself? ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

I hope you're joking? iOS has more holes than a Swiss cheese.

As an example read up on the use of Karma/MITM attacks against iPhone/iPad. It's laughably easy to spoof an iDevice so it joins an untrusted network, then you can strip-mine anything you like off the connection. You can do it for about £20 with an old laptop, a copy of Kali Linux and an Alfa USB WiFi AP, or you can do it from a hacked Android tablet running Kali, PwnieExpress etc. You can buy a standalone device called a WiFi Pineapple for $99 which will do the same powered by battery, which you can leave hidden in/outside a target location for up to 3 days while it collects data and stores it all on an SD card. Left in a car parked outside your house/office for example, or inside a locker at the gym... People are even fitting them to drones now and flying them up the sides of office blocks or over pop concerts to mine data en-mass*.

Look at the recent iBrute attacks against iCloud accounts. Apple didn't think it was worth putting in any sort of block to brute-forcing of iCloud accounts, shocking lapse of security.

Last year when the OpenSSL bug was found, it took Apple over a week to patch a critical flaw in iOS and OSX which was in the wild and being exploited.

Don't get me wrong, I like Apple products, I use both them and Android at home and for my job. But to say Apple=Secure is not I claim I'd ever make.

* A consultant I work with spotted someone using one in the VIP area at Glastonbury this year.
    Last edited by Vampire; 7th September 2014 at 13:29.

Thomas Reid
    I think that my Android phone is reasonably secure and reasonably private. I individually control what applications get what privileges. The file system is encrypted. Most of what I run is open source. My email/calendar/contacts are in the cloud, but under my control, on my servers, which I access using SSL. I don't have a Google account, and don't use Google services (except search through a browser). I log network connections, looking for odd behaviour. I use a password manager, whose database is common to all my computers as it it is on my ownCloud server. Blah, blah, blah.

Best wishes,
    Bob

When your basic 4 is still going strong it's hard to get worked up about the imminent 6.

I think that my Android phone is reasonably secure and reasonably private. I individually control what applications get what privileges. The file system is encrypted. Most of what I run is open source. My email/calendar/contacts are in the cloud, but under my control, on my servers, which I access using SSL. I don't have a Google account, and don't use Google services (except search through a browser). I log network connections, looking for odd behaviour. I use a password manager, whose database is common to all my computers as it it is on my ownCloud server. Blah, blah, blah.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Good strategy, that makes you a lot more secure than the vast majority Bob. Turning your WiFi off unless you actually need it, and then only when you're positive you're connecting to a safe access point is probably the other 'best' thing you can do.

There are apps which will manage your WiFi in a secure way, Kismet Smarter WiFi Manager is a good one (Kismet being authors of a well known hacking/testing tool - they know their stuff). Sadly this one is Android only.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nager&hl=en_GB

Using a VPN over cellular/Wifi is also a big help for security. I use one called Freedome by F-Secure, which they do for Android or iOS. Much harder to MITM a connection if you're using an encrypted tunnel. The Android version is a lot more stable than the iOS version, but that's partly due to how locked down iOS is.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid&hl=en_GB

I read this guide on how to harden Android for security last year, it's pretty comprehensive, I personally don't have a big enough need for security to go this far!!

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/mis...ty-and-privacy

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire View Post

Using a VPN over cellular/Wifi is also a big help for security. I use one called Freedome by F-Secure, which they do for Android or iOS. Much harder to MITM a connection if you're using an encrypted tunnel. The Android version is a lot more stable than the iOS version, but that's partly due to how locked down iOS is.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid&hl=en_GB

One of the results of not having a Google account is that I can't use Google's Play store. ;)

I have have the OpenConnect VPN client for Android (f-droid) to use when in need. My university has a server, which I connect through sometimes, and I've been thinking of setting one up for myself.

Best wishes,
    Bob

I hope you're joking? iOS has more holes than a Swiss cheese.

As an example read up on the use of Karma/MITM attacks against iPhone/iPad. It's laughably easy to spoof an iDevice so it joins an untrusted network, then you can strip-mine anything you like off the connection. You can do it for about £20 with an old laptop, a copy of Kali Linux and an Alfa USB WiFi AP, or you can do it from a hacked Android tablet running Kali, PwnieExpress etc. You can buy a standalone device called a WiFi Pineapple for $99 which will do the same powered by battery, which you can leave hidden in/outside a target location for up to 3 days while it collects data and stores it all on an SD card. Left in a car parked outside your house/office for example, or inside a locker at the gym... People are even fitting them to drones now and flying them up the sides of office blocks or over pop concerts to mine data en-mass*.

Look at the recent iBrute attacks against iCloud accounts. Apple didn't think it was worth putting in any sort of block to brute-forcing of iCloud accounts, shocking lapse of security.

Last year when the OpenSSL bug was found, it took Apple over a week to patch a critical flaw in iOS and OSX which was in the wild and being exploited.

Don't get me wrong, I like Apple products, I use both them and Android at home and for my job. But to say Apple=Secure is not I claim I'd ever make.

* A consultant I work with spotted someone using one in the VIP area at Glastonbury this year.
    You are confusing OS/platform vulnerability with network security issues - 'man in the middle' type of attacks which are not platform specific and can be prevented with basic security hygiene, VPN etc. My reply was in reference to this

All operating systems are vulnerable including iOS (ahem LI tools ahem), however you are the first person I came across so far who used in one sentence iOS and 'Swiss cheese'. Here is a recent graph of malware by mobile operating system and link to Sophos threat advisory which explains situation way better than I ever can

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/medialib...eat-report.pdf
    Last edited by VDG; 7th September 2014 at 16:31.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post

I do not have or want iTunes so there are no apps, none of my windows based pcs can access any of the photos I've taken with, I could go on but at the end of the day it's a poor product that's not for me.
    To each their own, but I find this hard to believe.

I work for a USA based company who don't allow me to install iTunes and restrict my laptop in a number of ways. Yet I plug my iPhone into it - it runs Windows 7 - and it sees the iPhone as an external drive. I can ONLY get pics and videos off it, but that is enough for me. This can also be done under XP and Wondows 8.1

I find it hard to believe that none of your windows based pcs could access the iPhone for pictures. Seriously, did you try?
    Last edited by thenikjones; 7th September 2014 at 21:04. Reason: Spelling errors

So come the next apocalypse, should I want to go off the grid Apple is the choice of WW3 gophers, (as an analogy I know this is very weak) due to Apple's incredible security features

Off the grid.. he he good one no phone or OS is secure, it's all about ol' good ROI. As they say there are two types of systems, those that have been hacked and you know about it, and those that have been hacked but you do not know about it yet..

Master
    Actually I might pick one up. The larger screen would be useful as I often get sent imagery to appraise when in the field but I don't want to start carrying an ipad with me everywhere.

My 4s is in a griffin survivor case which makes it bigger already than the 6.

I had an iPhone 4 for nearly 3 years and really liked it until ios6 made it slow down markedly. I'd already decided I needed a larger screen as I use my phone more as a mini tablet than for telephone conversations! I looked at the 5s but couldn't see much difference to the 4 and it seemed very expensive in 32gb guise - also a lot of my mates had them and the corners seemed to chip and look very scruffy even with light use (I always use a silicone case but I was surprised how soft the metal was in comparison to my old 4)
    Anyhow I got bored by iPhone and fancied a change. I'm not a tech expert at all and bought an HTC one m8 on a whim. And it's brilliant - as a piece of hardware it feels like an iPhone and I found switching to android surprisingly easy. I will admit I have large hands but it's a perfect size for me - screen and interface are lovely, a decent 32gb sd cost under £30 - for music the headphones supplied are both decent quality and the comfort in ear jobs I've ever owned and the speakers on the phone - which admittedly I rarely use - are phenomenal. How do you get rich bass out of something as thin as a couple of Ritz crackers??!!

You are confusing OS/platform vulnerability with network security issues - 'man in the middle' type of attacks which are not platform specific and can be prevented with basic security hygiene, VPN etc. My reply was in reference to this
    No I'm not confusing the two, I just didn't explain very well. The point I was trying to make is, iOS has a gaping flaw where it will rejoin networks it thinks it trusts without properly verifying them again.

For example, you join your home network "My House" at your home, then you go to town shopping. Your phone is continually sending out beacons every 20-30 seconds looking for any networks it knows and trusts. As soon as you come within range of an "evil" AP and the phone sends a beacon looking for "My House", the evil AP responds with the correct response saying "yes that's me" and the phone joins the network without re-doing the authentication - thinking it's just joined your home network again. But in fact it's just joined the hackers evil AP which is pretending to be your "My House" network. Once you're on, you can be MITM'd at will. The evil AP can respond to individual probes, so you could have 50 people connected to it - but all thinking they're connected to their own different trusted networks. You'd only spot it if you realised you were connected to WiFi and checked in the settings to see you're connect to "My House" but you're clearly not in range of your home WiFi. How many people would even check if they're getting free WiFi?

That's a massive flaw in iOS, and it's been there for ages (years), I haven't checked it recently but it was still there in late June.

Have a look at this presentation which I attended earlier in the year. I think Rick explains the flaw somewhere in his talk.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypw6oI0_YIg

Master
    Blog Entries

Best wishes,
    Bob
    The iPad Mini is very good already as a phablet, if FaceTime and Skype are enough for you (they are for me). At 7.9" I think it counts as a phablet if you use it as such.

I find the thought of people who find 4" too small but getting very excited over the quite small move to 4.7" frankly odd. I am interested to see how Apple will address the one-hand use case. I don't want a large phone and have short stubby fingers.

Master
    Blog Entries

Best wishes,
    Bob
    The iPad Mini is very good already as a phablet, if FaceTime and Skype are enough for you (they are for me). At 7.9" I think it counts as a phablet if you use it as such.

I find the thought of people who find 4" too small but getting very excited over the quite small move to 4.7" frankly odd. I am interested to see how Apple will address the one-hand use case. I don't want a large phone and have short stubby fingers.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post

The cellular version of the iPad Mini might work if you are happy with only having voice over IP. No real SMS either. Voice over IP is a lot more expensive (especially when abroad) than regular voice. I guess that the best route for someone wanting to use the Mini as a phone would be to rely on Google Voice.

The larger the screen, the more interesting for web browsing, email, video, maps and the like, which is what I use when out and about. I tried to go back to a phone with a 5 inch screen yesterday as a test. The experience was not pleasant. Especially when using a map. Either everything was too small to read, or there wasn't enough context provided. Indeed, the experience I had yesterday changed my mind about getting a device with a slight smaller screen than the 7 inch one I'm using now. I might got a more modern device, with thinner bezel, beeifier CPU and the like, but I'm sticking with the larger screen.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Last edited by rfrazier; 8th September 2014 at 18:00.

Master
    No I'm not confusing the two, I just didn't explain very well. The point I was trying to make is, iOS has a gaping flaw where it will rejoin networks it thinks it trusts without properly verifying them again.

For example, you join your home network "My House" at your home, then you go to town shopping. Your phone is continually sending out beacons every 20-30 seconds looking for any networks it knows and trusts. As soon as you come within range of an "evil" AP and the phone sends a beacon looking for "My House", the evil AP responds with the correct response saying "yes that's me" and the phone joins the network without re-doing the authentication - thinking it's just joined your home network again. But in fact it's just joined the hackers evil AP which is pretending to be your "My House" network. Once you're on, you can be MITM'd at will. The evil AP can respond to individual probes, so you could have 50 people connected to it - but all thinking they're connected to their own different trusted networks. You'd only spot it if you realised you were connected to WiFi and checked in the settings to see you're connect to "My House" but you're clearly not in range of your home WiFi. How many people would even check if they're getting free WiFi?

That's a massive flaw in iOS, and it's been there for ages (years), I haven't checked it recently but it was still there in late June.

Have a look at this presentation which I attended earlier in the year. I think Rick explains the flaw somewhere in his talk.
    Now I freely admit to being crap when it comes to things like this so please correct me if I'm wrong. If you turn wifi off in your settings and only turn it on when you need it, would that make you safe?

Master
    This was meant to be a lighthearted fun thread for Apple iPhone fans to share in the release of the new phone.

Would you lot go and suck the life out of some other thread!!

;-)

Unfortunately, this convenience feature does present a viable attack vector, however it looks like it's not iOS specific and other platforms are also affected, including Android (pls see links below). The good news is, it can be easily avoided - just go to Settings>WiFi options and turn on 'Ask to join Networks' feature. Furthermore, it still falls under a MITM (accessing data in transit) type of attack rather than 'massive iOS flaw', unless you also have access to the phone's pair ing rec ord and es crow key bag which opens a totally different can of worms

A number of operating systems, iOS among them, contain a convenience feature that allows devices to automatically connect to wireless networks with which they have connected in the past based on the SSID of those networks. Skycure cofounder and CEO Adi Sharabani said this feature is something of a security vulnerability in that an attacker can set up a malicious network with a SSID that mimics the SSID of a legitimate wireless network known to a specific device. - See more at: http://threatpost.com/features-consp....RWEKc0gF.dpuf
    In order to prevent these auto-connects from occurring, iOS users should make it so that their device asks for permission before joining a wireless network. Users can activate the “Ask to join other networks” feature by going into their settings and accessing the “Wi-Fi” sub-settings page. Gallagher explains that Android users were only very recently given the ability to disable auto-connect with a carrier updated from AT&T. So, AT&T Android users should make sure they have installed the latest update. http://blog.kaspersky.co.uk/millions...ts-by-default/
    Anyway enjoy iPhone 6 presentation LINKY

F.T.F.A.

Apparently this is it, if accurate I'm not too keen on the protruding camera

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I had an iPhone 4 for nearly 3 years and really liked it until ios6 made it slow down markedly. I'd already decided I needed a larger screen as I use my phone more as a mini tablet than for telephone conversations! I looked at the 5s but couldn't see much difference to the 4 and it seemed very expensive in 32gb guise - also a lot of my mates had them and the corners seemed to chip and look very scruffy even with light use (I always use a silicone case but I was surprised how soft the metal was in comparison to my old 4)
    Anyhow I got bored by iPhone and fancied a change. I'm not a tech expert at all and bought an HTC one m8 on a whim. And it's brilliant - as a piece of hardware it feels like an iPhone and I found switching to android surprisingly easy. I will admit I have large hands but it's a perfect size for me - screen and interface are lovely, a decent 32gb sd cost under £30 - for music the headphones supplied are both decent quality and the comfort in ear jobs I've ever owned and the speakers on the phone - which admittedly I rarely use - are phenomenal. How do you get rich bass out of something as thin as a couple of Ritz crackers??!!
    Did you upgrade the software to ios7? This has made a big difference to the phones I've seen running it.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Apparently this is it, if accurate I'm not too keen on the protruding camera
    Apparently it's not. I read on a similar article that this phone is as fake as most of the other Chinese 'iPhone 6s' out there.

Anyway, does it really matter? We are going to find out for real in about 7 hours time.

I read on a similar article that this phone is as fake as most of the other Chinese 'iPhone 6s' out there.
    I hope you're right.