closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: JB champion mesh watch band - Too long anyone managed to alter the length by cutting

Journeyman

JB champion mesh watch band - Too long anyone managed to alter the length by cutting

Hi Everyone,

Ok so i bought a JB champion mesh watch band of ebay.
    My wrist is 7.25 " however I didn't realise that it was an extra long version.

So has anyone ever cut one of these watch bands down ?
    e.g. prised open the ends, cut down the mesh and then re applied the ends

Last edited by Stuie_UK; 11th August 2014 at 10:42.

Master
    I've not done it with this specific style of 'flattened' mesh band but I did buy a more traditional curved mesh bracelet (if that makes sense) from eBay and spent the whole weekend attacking it with side cutters, link by link. I'm happy with the result but it does make me wince a little every time I put it on when I think of how sore my hands were afterwards. Suspect a Dremmel is the way forward for these kinds of jobs!

Good luck!

SGR

Master
    I haven't cut one of these specifically, but I have cut standard shark mesh straps with a dremel and it's easy enough. This one looks like there's enough spacing between rows to get a fine dremel cutting wheel in without cutting the adjacent links (which is the biggest problem)

I'd be most concerned about crimping the ends back nicely without bends and plier marks on them…

Hello Stuie_UK,

There is only one length version of this strap and yes it is long.

It was chosen by NASA for two reasons. Firstly so that a Speedmaster could be worn over a space suit and secondly because it was flimsy. NASA worried that the stronger Omega bracelet could trap the wearer if he got the strap tangled on something - the JB Champion would be easily pulled away as it was so flimsy.

In fact NASA asked JB Champion if they would make a longer version, which I don't think ever happened, and in any case Velcro which was a spin off of the space program became the strap of choice.

I have had a close look at mine and although you may be able to prise open one of the ends, shorten the strap and reclamp the end I would not be happy to have a precious Speedmaster attached by that.

Have you moved the adjustable sliding clamp clasp to its last position? From the pic it looks like there is a little bit more movement.

Please post some pics if you decide to perform surgery.

Regards, Jack

Journeyman

JB champion mesh watch band - Too long :o( .... > Actually it's OK. Phew !

thanks for peoples advice but it seems all is ok with the strap..

I started this thread after receiving the strap in the post and without trying in on the watch. What initially concerned me was the sticker on the JB box stating - Extra Long
    Thanks to Jack Norman for putting my mind at rest because this particular JB champion (the one seen on most astronaughts wrists) only seems to comes in one length.
    Having looked at numerous NASA pictures I have to agree.

My wrist meaures 7.25" (185mm) and there is approx 10mm of further adjustment.
    I imaging most of the astronauts have a bigger wrist approx 7.5 - 8" and that ties in with the opening clasp on their straps sitting approx 20mm+ from the springbar

NASA picture examples
    http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...69-25198HR.jpg
    http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...9-H-1094HR.jpg

So after putting it on the springbars and trying the watch the strap fitted fine straight out of the box.
    For peoples future reference it is worth pointing out that these straps are not a perfect fit for 20mm lugged cases - 105.012, 145.012, 145.022, 3570.50 etc as the bit that connects to the springbar (horned version on mine) is only 19mm leaving a 1mm gap as show below on my 3572.5

(Note: My original post #1 was a stock picture showing the straight bar version as opposed to the horned version pictured in this post #5)

I purposely bought this for when I eventually get a 105.012 or possibly a 105.003 - the later would fit better with its straight lugs of 19mm

More info here....
    http://www.speedmaster101.com/105-012/
    http://www.speedmaster101.com/105-003/

1mm gap on right of springbar

view from underneath

So there you go... I can put away my dremel and my pliers
    Last edited by Stuie_UK; 13th August 2014 at 15:43.

That looks great , going to buy myself a dremmel to shorten my mesh .....

Edit ... Now I know where Oris got the design for my early Williams F1 in the dive case ..
    Last edited by James Burton; 15th August 2014 at 13:48.