closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A slighty different review on IWC Aquatimer GST 3536-01 ti

A slighty different review on IWC Aquatimer GST 3536-01 ti

OK fellas...

Those not familiar with this model would be wise to read these reviews/pictorials for a more wellrounded, objective opinion as mine is flawed, as purely subjective, from the get go:

Timezone classic - sisters in titanium

TZ-UK: Stefans (S.L.) pictorial of ti and ss 3536

IWC Forum - the backgrounds of the Aquatimer

Time2watch - A review of the GST 3536īs in ss and ti

Les Revues de Montres: Aquatimer 3536-01 ti (French)

Dive (into) watches: Statussymbol auf Tauchstation - IWC GST Aquatimer (German)

rruegger on youtube: how to operate the 3536 bezel & IWC Aquatimer evolution

This is it - the IWC Aquatimer GST 3536-01 titanium

Please understand that this is not a real review but rather a compilation of something Iīve written about the Aquatimer on various threads since I got it. Why I did it? Because I noticed while seeking information regarding this watch once on the market to get one that though there was a lot written about it there really wasnt much said about whats bugging the owners with it. Yet there has to be something, as there always is. - There is no such thing as a perfect watch.

So, my motive here is to add a slightly different point of view to the IWC Aquatimer 3536-01 to compliment those excellent postings and reviews to be found on the internet (those I consider best are listed above). With this I proceed to the subject it self. I am not going to bother with measurements, bezel movements etc as those are easily found on the resources mentined earlier.

Instead Iīll let the pics speak for the watch and proceed to whats bugging me with it:

Light titanium is comfy when its

Hot...

or cold

Date is dead centered

Now... a few words about IWCīs titanium for those who are afraid it might scratch easily. I don?t know whether IWC uses the most expensive or advanced processes available for finishing their titanium cases but I think they do know something of the material and how to manufacture cases of it. After all - they were among the first ones using the material on tool watches since 1977.

I strongly believe that the "poorly finished investment casting" looking grainy surface is a well though out design decision that IMO fits the watch and its mil pedigree well. The finish is achieved by abrasive blasting with sapphire beads. Simply said, if you like the looks fine, if you don?t, that s fine too. What is objectively addressable however are the technical specs of the case material were talking about. Based on my experience the specs hold true:

"IWC pioneered the use of Titanium in watches 20 years ago (this was written in 1998), first in the startlingly original Porsche Design Titane, then the revolutionary Ocean 2000. In attaining this status, IWC has attained probably more know how in exotic case making than any other - especially in working with Titanium.

The Titanium cases are machined by the removal of metal in complex processes. The case and its components are painstakingly turned, milled and drilled, allowing closer tolerances than a stamped product. That is why, it is said that the Ocean case is water resistant even without its back case gasket because of the precise fit of the machining of the case back screw threads with the case itself!

Newly developed in-house processes include covered or hidden welding of titanium (previously thought to be a material not able to be welded), controlled environment soldering and high vacuum annealing and ways of bonding the titanium with the sapphire glass by using a non-aging, non-deteriorating silver-platinum thrust ring to produce dive watches capable of 2,000m resistance to water ingress.

The latest innovation (remember, written in 9 years ago) has been the nitriding process for hardening titanium and other alloys. IWC achieved a level of Vickers Hardness of 2,400Hv, compared to the Ventura achievement of 1,300Hv for their hardened Titanium!! This is at the level of synthetic sapphire and just short of Lanthanum/Boron Carbide (9 on the Mohs scale). In comparison, normal Titanium is approximately 180Hv and hardened Stainless Steel is 700-800Hv.

In addition, IWC has developed techniques for polishing and abrasive blasting of Titanium (with sapphire beads). The Titanium alloys used contain Vanadium and aluminium with extreme high temperature stability and a tensile strength of 1000Mpa.

Quoted from: http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... 2170&rid=2

Yeah, sure. - As astonishing as it might even IWCīs titanium isn?t immune to the elements of everyday usage. Nothing is. So yes - there are marks on the watch, which can be best seen on these following pics taken by its previous owner, Mr. Matt W. from UK:

This has been pretty much an appraisal until now and you might be asking allready what?s negative about the ti IWC 3536 then? Well, based on my experience this is what I think are the drawbacks:

Price
    I consider it worth the expense but it is an awful lot of money to be tied up on just one watch, or watches in particular for that matter. The good part of it is that the money you put on this particular model is very likely to be had back choose you to sell it at some point as they are appreciated and somewhat collectible if not just yet, most likely on not so far away future.

Height
    The watch is 14,5mm tall and though it doesn?t feel that tall on the wrist because of the low weight of the titanium it is still somewhat tall. I haven?t had problems with the height because I like to wear it snug but I would prefer if it sat a tad lower on the wrist (something like 12mm).

Bracelet(!)
    Yes, it is as good as they say. The sizing is the easiest I?ve come across but lets face it - you rarely size your bracelet more often than once or twice so the ultimate sizing method aint that important on the long run though it is kinda cool. There are a three issues that I reall do not like on the bracelet though:

- for my taste it tapers too much towards the clasp. This is strictly a personal opinion and your mileage may vary. Nuff said.

- with bad luck you wont have a proper fit with the bracelet (I dont) as there are only full links and one "one-and-a-half" link (see below pic, its on the left side of the clasp). So, because there is no micro-adjustment possibility on the clasp and my wrist happens to be just a tad too small for having the "half" link on and a tad too big for having the "half" link off I cant find a proper fit for my wrist - its either a tad too loose or a tad too snug. If there would be a 2/3 link in addition that would solve the issue completely - as of now I don?t wear the bracelet because of that.

- the buckle has a release button on one side only. Though I have never ever had it open accidentally it would be, or at least feel, much safer (IMHO of course, some people like Jon Wallis sees this differently) to have two release buttons on both sides on the clasp that you should press at the same time.

For a serious diving watch with military watch pedigree I find the decision for a one-button release clasp a bit "off". Then again for serious users there is the velcro strap which is superb :D

This is how it looks on a 7,5 wrist(NOTE: this is a pic of a home made strap - the real thing however is exactly as long as this one)

Lume
    The lume aint even near to the standards set by say Omega Seamaster nor Seiko Monster. On this area IWC leaves much to hope for. Anyways, please note that there are two dial versions on the 3536. First came the "T SWISS MADE T" dial, which is mixture of tritium (12 and hands) and superluminova (rest of the markers). Latter ones were made with a pure superluminova dial which is recognizable from the "SWISS MADE"

Notice the difference on 12 and hands to the rest of the markers:

This lume shot is taken after a 15second blast under a lightbulb

Yet, with all these shortcomings Iīve listed this watch is a grower like nothing I?ve experienced earlier. Once I got I was disappointed actually, thinking it was ok but nothing what I?ve expected it to be based on what I?ve read of it and having handled a SD earlier the same day I found the AT a bit boring and flimsy (bezel). I complained it to Jon Wallis, a friend and a well-known WIS from down under with whom I had talked on many occasions about the IWC Aquatimer before taking the plunge for it and he said something like "just wait and it?ll grow on you. And if it doesn?t just sell it".

That?s what I did: I waited. - And within a week or so something started to happen like he had described. The Aquatimer is so stealthy and so low in appearance it fools you at first. In the end you cant help but to let go and be astonished by the quality that is apparent once you learn to appreciate it. Its a bit like women: there are those you like to fool around and play with and those you want to marry. The latter are few and between and you want more than just meets the eyes at the first glance. And that takes some time.

Thatīs all then? Not exactly as I haven?t yet addressed the last minus that, for some, might be the biggest of them:

The movement
    I had a talk with my watch guy yesterday as he called to say my AT is ready for pick up from service. Now this guy isn?t just some watchmaker who changes batteries for G-Shocks behind a counter at the local Wall-Mart but a pro as good as they come. - And, he is an IWC man to the boot. He was very, very, impressed with the case, bezel etc but said that it isn?t a "real" IWC anymore as the movement is a standard 2892-2 ETA which IWC has tweaked a little on the most important places:

- the gear train
    - wheels and levers
    - mainspring and barrel
    - a 21 K gold mass is added to the rotor for winding efficiency

Hereīs a blow-up of the movement
    (NOTE: clicking it will take you onto a TZ article of the movement)

(above picture courtesy of IWC & Michael Friedberg)

Whether these changes and modifications make a real difference to a well adjusted basic ETA 2892-2 you can find nicely finished on many more moderately priced watches I leave for you to decide.

For my watchmaker Yoda the heart on the AT just isn't what he feels its supposed to be: an in-house movement worthy the legendary name. - And on that regard the Aquatimer is a second runner for say the Rolex Sea-Dweller.

I personally couldn?t care less because what I want is reliability and ease of maintenance. For me the tweaked ETA is good enough especially as I don?t have to pay absurd prices for servicing it. - Wouldn?t I yet prefer an in-house IWC movement? - you bet I would, but I necessarily would not want to pay the premium that would come with it. IMHO the company played it wise putting the money on the case instead of the movement, which is good for the purpose the watch was designed for and good enough for most of the Aquatimer clientele already. Itīs supposed to be a tool watch, remember?

So, like it or not, IWC uses a 2892-2 kit on the Aquatimer instead of a true in-house movement of the likes that once made the company what it is today.

(above pictures courtesy of IWC & Michael Friedberg)

Bottom line:

- If you are a "movement guy" the SD is a better choice for you I guess.
    - If you want something reliable that?s not on your face go for the ti AT.

There you have it - my opinion on whats bugging with the AT.

I end by saying that trying to find the "one watch" to rule them all has been my quest for long. Until now I haven?t come across anything that could dethrone the 3536 ti from the top of the imaginary hill I have placed it on in my personal tool watch hierarchy. Yes. The Rolex Sea-Dweller has the crown. It can have it. The IWC Aquatimer 3536-01 has the throne and the high ground.

There can only be one.

EDIT September 9 2007

Iīve now had the watch for a few months more after my initial review. A hefty portion of that time it was on the custody of my watchmaker waiting of being serviced as the guy is not only good but busy as well as a consequence of his skills. So, for a couple of months I had other watches on my wrist.

Did I really missed the AT? Not really as I had other things to do and some neat watches to compansate. Nevertheless the time came to pick it up which I did on last weeks friday. Boy was I in for a surprise! The time I strapped it onto my wrist it felt sooooo right I immediately understood I hadīnt appreciated it as much as I should of. - Mind you, Iīve even played with the idea of selling it while it was on the works. Not anymore :!:

So, has it grown to be the perfect watch while at my watchmaker? No. It hasīnt. - It still hasīnt grown crown guards that I now think it should really have (the B & M Capeland S XXL is the top dog what comes to crown guards and crown functioning). It still is a tad too tall to my liking and the velcro strap as nice as it is has a design flaw: The end of the strap is folded on the inside and then sewn to form the tunnel for the pin screw. Because the fabric is nylon it is burned in order to not fray. This and the excessive sewing of the loop has created a hard surface on the inside of the strap which is irritating as hell before one gets use to it :evil:

It aint a biggie but something that they should of have made better really. - At 90? a piece it aint exactly the cheapest velcro around nevertheless it comes with the special endlinks attached. Other than this little caveat the strap rocks and if you dont use other watches you soon get use to it.

So, in a nut shell I am still very happy with the AT. The question of would I buy it again should I have the funding for acquiring it? Honestly said I am not sure. - I have created a lust for a titanium Panerai and it would be a hard decision though I do feel the Pannies are way overpriced. Still I doubt if I could for ever refuse the subtle elegance and no-nonsense ruggedness of this pre-richemont era IWC. Most possibly not and remembering the initial feeling when strapping it onto my wrist once I had it back from the service I doubt any Panerai really would have a chance of a long time survival should I ever see a 3536-01 in flesh again.

Itīs back!

So yeah, I think I would get it again and I am happy I dont have to as this one aint going anywhere.

Thanks for reading.

A nice refreshing read, thanks Jussi. :)

Too lazy myself for doing reviews at the moment but coincidentally I posted a AT 3536 pictorial on a swedish forum tonight, click here if you are interested.

/Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by S.L
    A nice refreshing read, thanks Jussi. :)

Too lazy myself for doing reviews at the moment but coincidentally I posted a AT 3536 pictorial on a swedish forum tonight, click here if you are interested.

/Stefan
    You are welcome Sir. And thanks for the link - very, very, good pictures Stefan :)

Cheers Jussi.
    I took the liberty of adding a link in my post to this 3536 epos as well. :)

/Stefan

Blog Entries
    Jussi

Excellent and thank you

i can only comment that so far i love the watch and the SD IMO a different animal only comes close.

I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your kind words. Stefan, thanks for linking this little review to you post, I only noticed it now. Martin, I am very glad you like the AT. I know you have been wanting to try it out for a long time. Speaking of which - just wait - the AT will grow with you even more. Just be warned :twisted:

As for the SD... I think Iīd prefer a Sub as the SD might be too tall for me?

That is a sexy watch!

Nice review too :)

Cheers,

Paul

Great review Jussi! Excellent reading.... :o :)
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Great review Jussi!

My issue with your thoughts on an extra pushbutton on the bracelet is twofold:

1 - Ive never had any reason to doubt the IWC single button clasp - its never opened on me accidentally during any activity.

2 - The Anomino Millimetri bracelet used to be 2 button and mine would open with a good flex of the wrist. Anomino have now made this a single button clasp for the new models.

IMHO the IWC bracelet's button is nicely hidden and for left handed wearers will not be pushed open accidentally from what ive seen.

Some pics of mine... Its a great watch and probably one of my few 'true' keepers.... Its as well built, but with more innovation, than a Rolex SD which is its rival. I have a 5513 and GMT2 and my next step was to add the SD to my collection but the IWC interveened and im glad it did. Its approx Ģ1k cheaper than the SD and that alone makes it a bargain for imho its a better watch.

Moi Jussi

Great review.! 8)

Having tried this watch on it is certainly top of its game.

One thing that bugs me is the lack of crown guards... :evil:

...not saying that it would stop me trading the Di 300 for the IWC, but you know what I mean :D

Thanks
    deano

Quote Originally Posted by deano42
    Moi Jussi

Great review.! 8)

Having tried this watch on it is certainly top of its game.

One thing that bugs me is the lack of crown guards... :evil:

...not saying that it would stop me trading the Di 300 for the IWC, but you know what I mean :D

Thanks
    deano
    Moi Deano,

the lack of crown guards annoy you, eh?

Just get one of these and I promise to solder macho crown guards for you myself :D

Jussi

You've been blaired.!!!

deano

Quote Originally Posted by deano42
    Jussi

You've been blaired.!!!

deano
    :shock:

Deano, the crown guards do tend to be something I wonder about... Its very normal to have them now on all dive watches, yet IWC chose not to bother on this one, and thats very strange for a true dive watch. IMHO its fine wothout but then I also wear various Omega vintage divers that also have large sticky out crowns with no guards.

Blog Entries
    The lack of crown guards is probably the one drawback for me with the watch,i have now found a suitable bracelet setting (thanks to the easy adjustment)to cover both cool and hot weather,the single release is fine,lume is not for me a big issue but the overall look and feel of a watch is and for me and this watch comes up with the answers.I found that the SD had great wrist presence and just a "right" feel but i have no regrets in selling the SD to get this watch and keep the change.

I think this watch is a one like the SD that only when you have experienced it can you really appreciate it.

Martin
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    The Aquatimer is my grail watch, but it is (and will be) outside my reach for the near future.... :cry:

VA

Thomas Reid

Re: A slighty different review on IWC Aquatimer GST 3536-01

Quote Originally Posted by JCJM
    For my watchmaker Yoda the heart on the AT just isn't what he feels its supposed to be: an in-house movement worthy the legendary name. - And on that regard the Aquatimer is a second runner for say the Rolex Sea-Dweller.

I personally couldn?t care less because what I want is reliability and ease of maintenance. For me the tweaked ETA is good enough especially as I don?t have to pay absurd prices for servicing it. - Wouldn?t I yet prefer an in-house IWC movement? - you bet I would, but I necessarily would not want to pay the premium that would come with it. IMHO the company played it wise putting the money on the case instead of the movement, which is good for the purpose the watch was designed for and good enough for most of the Aquatimer clientele already. Itīs supposed to be a tool watch, remember?

So, like it or not, IWC uses a 2892-2 kit on the Aquatimer instead of a true in-house movement of the likes that once made the company what it is today.
    I wouldn't worry about it. It is a really fine movement. I'm pretty indifferent to "in-house" movements, as I think I've said before. Apparently, so is Franck Muller, according to the interview referenced in abraxas's latest Roundup.

What do you think of the use of the term ?in-house movement? today?

I think the whole obsession with in-house movements is completely a marketing tactic and largely ridiculous. When the Swiss watch industry started all movements were in-house in that they were created by farmers who needed something to do during the winter months. They fabricated these movements in-house. After this they came down from the mountains and they sold these movements to brands like Vacheron Constantin or Patek Philippe. These brands would take these movements case them up and put a dial on them with their brand name on it. So even at this period you were getting in-house movements in their watches but the house they were made in was not Patek Philippe of Vacheron Constantin. In fact Patek Philippe never made their own movements before 1933, and this is something they have openly expressed in their own history. But these brands would create the perception that every thing was done by them.

Can you elaborate on how they create the perception of being in-house?

It is something of a paradox and it is for this reason I said that you have to pay attention to the dreams expressed by high Swiss watchmaking. Patek Philippe for example would have you believe that they are a predominately mechanical brand but they are one of the largest producers of quartz movements (for their ladies watches) in Switzerland. Further this isn?t even an in-house quartz movement they buy it from the Swatch Group and modify it.

Another marketing tactic is to make you believe that an in-house manufactured watch is somehow better than the one that uses out sourced parts. But how can a manufacture perfect every single one of the crafts needed to create a watch because there are well over 100 of these. Are they saying they can do each of these crafts better than everyone else? The watch industry was one that from the beginning outsourced parts such as screws, wheels and other components from specialty suppliers.
    Best wishes,
    Bob

An interesting argument. It is somewhat analagous to expensive restaurants. Is it OK for chefs to buy their produce from specialist suppliers, or should they raise their own livestock and grow their own vegetables? Conversely, you probably wouldn't expect them to use pre-packaged sauces. I'm not sure how far you can take my analogy, however, as it seems quite easy to compare a customized ETA movement to a pre-packaged sauce where the chef has added some mushrooms and herbs :?

Great review Jussi :-)

I agree that the 3536 is a fantastic watch and its charms really do grow on you over time, if only the lume was better!

Sanjay

Craftsman
    Great review. The thing that annoys me about this watch is that although it's really easy to size the bracelet, the last link (that connects the watch and the bracelet) is really hard to get off if you want to for exemple change to the new rubber strap that is avalible for the new Aquatimers.

Otherwise a great watch, I love it. Ti rules!

Jesper, thats very true. I had to use quite a bit of force to remove the pins nearest the head on mine too.

I guess one of the other small moans would be the fact that the watch has basically an integrated bracelet so youre stuck with using IWC's own rubber or velcro straps (or adding 20mm leather straps to the Velcro end pieces), this means you have to pay IWCs prices for these straps, which is certainly not what anyone would call 'cheap'.

Its not a big whinge for me as I have all the straps now and generally wear it on the bracelet as its so comfy, but some people might not like it I guess...

Yep, I managed to snap one of those pieces trying to fit my velcro strap

Easy to replace but mildly disturbing nonetheless...

Sanjay

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier

I wouldn't worry about it. It is a really fine movement. I'm pretty indifferent to "in-house" movements, as I think I've said before. Apparently, so is Franck Muller, according to the interview referenced in abraxas's latest Roundup.

..............Best wishes,
    Bob
    The subject of ?in-house? (or vertical independence) might be the result of marketing and tweaked perception but today in the mind of the consumer it?s real enough especially as the largest supplier of ebouche has stopped supplying.

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master
    Apparently, so is Franck Muller ...
    Perhaps an odd person to cite as support, bearing in mind his reputed use of Russian movements in his in-house watches.

Hi,

I edited and put some more links in the beginning of the review. Also put some after thoughts in the end of the review dated Sept 9 2007.

Thanks.

Master

Craftsman
    Homage! Homage! Homage!
    PRS-2000!

Homages to the People!
    - Go Eddy, go!

Quote Originally Posted by redmond
    Thanks Red!

Added the link onto the review :)

Master
    Hi All

Now i am usually a man of few words but first and foremost i would like to thank Jussi for pulling together this comprehensive package of information regarding the 3536-01 - Pretty impressive IMO 8)

It was as a result of reading this post that inspired me to seek out a 3536 for myself and give it a go :) I finally managed to get one in Jan 08, after a rather speculative PM on my part to a forum regular whom i have dealt with on a few occasions and whom i knew had a 3536. Low and behold a deal was agreed and i had myself a 3536 and the added bonus was it was an 01. My sincere thanks goes to the forum regular who sold me the watch, not only because it is a superb watch 8) but also because of the honesty and integrity of the seller...... which again endorses what a wonderful place this is to frequent - Thanks to TZ-UK and Eddie :P

Now to the watch....... and my impressions of it having had it in my possession for about 6 weeks now (BTW it has been on my wrist for the majority of that time)

The watch in my opinion is an absolute joy to wear... It sits very comfortably on my wrist and does not tend to 'ride' either up or down during wear, some of my other watches do and it does annoy me :wink: . Being Ti it is light as a feather bearing in mind it is on a bracelet (i do tend to prefer bracelet combo's) but somehow it isn't that light that it looses wrist presence :P It does not sit to high that it doesn't fit under my work shirts nicely, either double or single cuffs. All in all in is unobtrusive but still has presence......
    I agree with Jussi that the finish on the Ti is perfect and is in keeping with the style and purpose of the watch and actually on close inspection the 'grainy' surface is actually very finely finished. In regard to the Ti's ability to resist marks, well after 6 weeks of almost constant wear i can honestly say that i do not believe that there are any additional marks on the watch, maybe i am just being careful :?: but maybe it is a genuinely hard wearing finish :?:

The size of the watch is perfect for me, after a lot of years trying numerous watches of all shapes and sizes the 42mm to 45mm range seems to be ideal for me :P I have been lucky with the bracelet as i did not have to size it and it fits perfectly but i do acknowledge that the lack of micro adjust would cause a problem to some.. :? In regard to the size, proportions and taper of the bracelet..... perfect IMO. Again, as Jussi mentioned, the release button has never caused me a problem and i don't think it ever will as it is located to the inside of the wrist so it is never likely to be accidentally depressed and released when flexing the wrist in a downward position (which has happened to me before with other watches)

The lume on the watch isn't great.... mine id the T Swiss T version and the tritium on mine, particularly the 12 marker, is quite yellow in appearance and when charged seems to be very grainy. The SL is brighter with a more solid appearance (sorry no lume shots at the moment) All in all i wouldn't go as far as saying it is disappointing but it is a little 'underwhelming'

Now i am no technical expert when it comes to movements and appreciate that this watch contains a stock ETA Ebauche that has been tinkered with by IWC (well i think it goes a little bit further than tinkering :D ) There is no service history with my watch but i can confirm that it winds and operates very smoothly and over the last 6 weeks has operated well within COSC specs at + 2 secs per day. That is more than good enough for me 8)

The bezel operation is smooth and competent with slight downward pressure being necessary before it can be operated. This does lead to a slightly different feel with the bezel as it does tend to 'rock' slightly if uneven pressure is applied.

If there is one slightly negative comment i could make about the watch it is in regard to the crystal. I think it could do with AR coating to the inside, i know some of you may not agree but i think the dial would be far more legible in general use if this had been applied. I also find that from certain angles that the curvature and thickness of the crystal slightly distorts the outer dial markings.. I am being really hyper picky here :lol:

I love this watch.... bet you hadn't guessed that :roll: and firmly believe that this is a great example of form, function and purpose without the 'bling' of certain other brands.... I have never owned a Rolex before and therefore would/could not draw any further comparisons as they would be very subjective, however, someone on the forum recently quoted 'The IWC 3536 represented the thinking mans SD/Sub' - I love that quote :D

For me this is a watch that along with my Speedy Pro and Zenith Class Sport that will be kept, worn and cherished and passed onto my son as something to remember his ' dear old Dad' and hopefully he can enjoy.

This is one special watch and I love it......... 8)

Thanks for reading, Cheers and 1 final picture with a 'friend'

Cheers
    Martin

Great post Martin!

I am wearing mine as I type :)

Thanks,

Master
    Great post Martin!

I am wearing mine as I type :)

Thanks,
    Cheers Jussi, the whole thread is a fitting tribute to a fine watch 8)

Cheers
    Martin

Did not see a link to this article posted anywhere, thought it might be of interest in regards to the movement in these beauties:
    <a href="http://www.timezone.com/library/comarticles/comarticles631681558435961807">
    IWC cal. 32524 in the Aquatimer and Facts</a>

/Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by S.L
    Did not see a link to this article posted anywhere, thought it might be of interest in regards to the movement in these beauties:
    <a href="http://www.timezone.com/library/comarticles/comarticles631681558435961807">
    IWC cal. 32524 in the Aquatimer and Facts</a>

/Stefan
    Thanks Stefan,

I will add the link to the review :)

Re: A slighty different review on IWC Aquatimer GST 3536-01 ti

I have been infatuated with the 3536-01 for some time. Your review helped push me over the edge. Last weekend while attending a conference at a posh resort South of Los Angeles, I noticed the object of my desire in a case in the jewellery shop just off the lobby. The shop is an IWC AD and the watch has been in inventory. I was so shocked that I was forced to call my wife and negotiate my way out of a "no more watches in 08" promise.

She will receive a trip to Paris and I am wearing a brand new 3536-06. Of course I will have to go to Paris as well, perhaps I will wear my new watch.

Thanks for your insightful review.

:)

As a new owner, a bump for this excellent watch review....

Iīve now worn this watch for almost two years since January 2007.

I think I can now give an honest opinion of it, not too much influenced by the honeymoon that is always apparent with new arrivals 8)
    It is a tool. And a good one. - It may not be the most coolest or flashiest of watches but it does what it is supposed to do with no drama.

Suffice is to say that it is the only one that Iīve had for longer than a couple months at best and I think that says everything there is to say.

It is the best do-all-go-everywhere-watch that Iīve encountered. Nuff said :occasion5:

Very nice review, thanks

Hi,

Great review, I tried the "normal" Aquatimer recently very comfy however the internal bezel IMO made the face of the watch too small looked weird to me!

Is the face of this one bigger as I assume?
    Also not keen on titanium, they do come in ss dont they?
    thanks
    Oli

Quote Originally Posted by Olic
    Hi,

Great review, I tried the "normal" Aquatimer recently very comfy however the internal bezel IMO made the face of the watch too small looked weird to me!

Is the face of this one bigger as I assume?
    Also not keen on titanium, they do come in ss dont they?
    thanks
    Oli
    If you read the thread all your questions become answered.

Thanks,

Nice review :o

Nice review and nice pictures :mrgreen:

Good review and super pics! :)

Copy-pasted from here: posting.php?mode=quote&f=1&p=912869

--------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    Following on from the recent Seiko thread a fellow member had asked me my thoughts on my Grand Seiko Diver SBGA031 and how it compares with the 3536. Given they are both divers, both titanium and both high quality watches I thought it would be a perfect idea to look at them side by side and share my thoughts here.

I wanted this to be a bit more in depth than my usual posts so firstly my apologies for the length and the number of pics.

In terms of size both watches are fairly similar. The GS coming in at circa 45mm exc crown with the 3536 about 43mm. With the crowns they are circa 48mm and 46mm respectively.

Deceptively the cases are almost the same height at about 13mm, the 3536 maybe a mm or so higher. On the wrist however the GS feels like it doesn't sit as high, and also feels more secure, given that it has curved lugs moulding it around the wrist better than the 3536. A significant factor also making the GS sit better on the wrist is that its case back sits directly in line on the same plane as the end of the lugs whereas the 3536's lugs sit almost 5mm higher than the caseback.

The finish of the cases are incomparable. The 3536 has a beadblasted finish which although pretty resistant to scratches can pick up minor marks. It is discreet and understated on the wrist.

The GS on the other hand has a mixture of brushed and polished titanium surfaces, curved . Seiko use some sort of method to make the titanium extra bright and it is to say the least! The titanium finish of the GS looks almost stainless steel like. I haven't marked it yet and it doesn't feel like it will be easily marked. Where polished the finish is mirror polished to an extremely high standard. The edges are razor sharp whether a polished surface meets polished or if it meets a brushed one. The case combines both flat and curved (both across, up and around) sufaces.

Hands down the GS blows the IWC out of the water in terms of it's case and finishing.

The bezel actions are very different with the 3536 requiring you to push it down and then twist to turn. It has a solid action and turns easily with the crisp knurled bezel outside edge, once released it isn't going anywhere! The engineering to produce the double sets of tapering square knurls is very nice.

The GS's ceramic bezel is gorgeous. A mirror like effect with a very very deep black colour with an angled outside edge about 2mm thick. The painting of the numbers and indices into the bezel is perfect, not a hint of any overfill. Solid and secure but ever so smooth and easy to turn. The top and sides of the knurled edges are brushed whilst the curved edges inside between each knurl are polished.

The dial and hands of the GS are again of a very high quality. Brushed minute and hour hands and polished seconds hand. The dial has a combination of printed, and raised lettering. The circular markers again are exquisitely finished, the sides are raised about 1 mm and are brushed and then have an angled polished top piece into which the lume is placed. The strange mesh like material found by angeche seems to have found its way onto the power reserve area (although I have no magnification like angeche to confirm!). The crystal on the GS is flat and almost invisible at most angles.

The 3536's crystal has a gorgeous slight dome to it. The dial and hands are much simpler than the GS but fit in perfectly with the design of the watch.

The bracelets on both watches are truly superb. We all know about how easy the IWC's is to adjust and the flat clasp makes it easier to wear with cuffs than the GS's thicker one. The GS however features the micro adjustment and whilst not as perfect as the GO Sport bracelet mechanism it is still very good.

The finishing on the GS bracelet again is particularly special. Brushed main parts but with mirror polished breaks down either side of the centre link. Another nice addition is the polished curve between the brushed side and top of the outside of each link. The end links fit the case perfectly

I won't go into depth about movements, that'll be for a proper review, but needless to say the spring drive movement in the GS is a dream to look at.

I guess a conclusion is necessary. They are both very, very, very good watches. The IWC 3536 is a classic in terms of its design and functionality, I love mine and would not be parted with it. However beside the GS it does begin to look its age, the materials and finish of which simply blow the IWC away.

I do think that if I put the GS up against most, no all, of my watches the finishing would surpass them.

One thing to bear in mind is that the GS Diver is around twice the cost of the 3536. This is a big, big difference. Is the GS Diver twice the watch the 3536 is? Debatable, and in all honesty no, probably not. But as a standalone watch is the GS Diver worth the money it costs? In my opinion a resounding yes.

In the 'should we feel sorry for Seiko' thread, and amongst other threads, there has been some debate about what makes a high end Seiko cost what it does. I hope that whilst I may not change any opinions, that I have shown some of the things Seiko have done with this watch, superb movement aside, that could be deemed to be a reason.

If you've made it to this point many thanks for taking the time and looking. :)

Jay.

Many thanks Jussi. It was your original review that made me need to find a 3536 so it is a pleasure to now be part of your wonderful post.

Here's to a truly fantastic watch, the 3536. Cheers!

Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    Many thanks Jussi. It was your original review that made me need to find a 3536 so it is a pleasure to now be part of your wonderful post.

Here's to a truly fantastic watch, the 3536. Cheers!

Jay.

Thanks Jay, I appreciate it 8)

J

Journeyman

A great, informative review for a n00b like myself. I really do like these watches, do they come up very often in SC? What sort of money do they go for in average condition?

Quote Originally Posted by fivesixseven8
    A great, informative review for a n00b like myself. I really do like these watches, do they come up very often in SC? What sort of money do they go for in average condition?
    Hello,

search is your friend... Anyways thanks for the compliments. The 3536 indeed is a nice watch. This unfortunately is mirrored in the facts that they are 1) getting a bit difficult to find with both the complete packaging and in good condition and 2) the prices are rising though the current financial uncertainty along with the credit crunch has cut the prices with what Iīd say is about 10-15% of what they used to be sold at before the US house market spiraled down.

They appear on the sales corner from time to time, averaging at about once a month or two at most. Prices depend of many things of course but most that Iīd say are in good nick both mechanically and aesthetically with the complete packaging etc. are being sold for about 2900-3600USD depending on whether there are extra straps and what the dial variation is etc.

Be careful if you decide to get one - there are fakes and whilst some of them are pretty lame there have been some that look surprisingly true to the original in pictures. As usual, buy the seller, ask for references and use common sense - if the deal appears to be too good to be true it usual isīnt true.

Great review - eagerly awaiting my 3536 to arrive (just ordered :drunken: ).

Cheers,
    Christian