closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone into old motorcycles?

Anyone into old motorcycles?

I've had a few new bikes over the years and currently have a BMW F800GS, but recently caught the bug for an old machine to accompany it and be tinkered with in the garage

I'm picking this beauty up on Friday. Anyone else have any vintage machinery?

1983 BMW R100RS.

That's lovely.

Here's my 1981 Honda CX500.

That's a thing of beauty, I'd love another one of those.

My ambitions are more modest at the moment, I ride this:

And I hope one day I'll do justice to this:

which, when put back together should look like this (not mine, obviously):

Sticking with the BMW theme

I sold my last one 24 years ago - an R60. Slow and heavy but beautiful. I could ride it all day over enormous distances in supreme comfort. The only downside was the very clunky gearbox.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice Beemer , I had a r60/5, which went and replaced by a r100gspd.

Master
    Here's one of mine - quite some years ago. It's now in the garage in a permanent state of being 75% restored.

That BMW is lovely, i used to have a R100RS back in the day, liked it.
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 9th October 2014 at 15:50.

Master
    I have this :

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I have this :

I miss my off the track one (two sets of pipes nearly had me say RD500) but rest says 350 powervalve, well that and your image link, is there an assembly thread on PistonHeads?

Cherry RS!

Unfortunately, this is the only vintage bike I have at the moment:

Fortunately, it is a keeper.

I knew I could trust the TZ lot to deliver.

Some cracking machinery. Keep it coming!

Love that Honda 125. And Neil, you must get your Beemer rebuilt! It looks fab.

Master
    Chaps

I run a 1960 BSA 650cc twin and really I suppose without a pic you won't believe me.

I shall try and sort something out.

Regards

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by aFiercePancake View Post
    Cherry RS!

Unfortunately, this is the only vintage bike I have at the moment:

...photo removed...

Fortunately, it is a keeper.
    Tell us more, please? I'm guessing 1974/5 Strada...does it have some significance for you?

My recollection of Italian motorcycles of that era is Brembo brakes (good) and Veglia (the name escapes me as I remember) instruments (fictional data). How do those pipes look so good?
    Last edited by PickleB; 8th August 2014 at 09:51. Reason: return of memory

Craftsman
    My current toy just finished certainly a huge laugh with a power band from 10k to 11k it manages to lift the front wheel with 15 stone me on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    My current toy just finished certainly a huge laugh with a power band from 10k to 11k it manages to lift the front wheel with 15 stone me on it.

... photo removed...
    What is that, please? A picture of Jarno Saarinen's Yamaha 250 cc V-twin adorned my wall for a long time. As I recall, it had a lot of gears and revved to 16,000 rpm.

PS By shifting my (not inconsiderable) weight, I managed a wheelie on a FS1E. Sorry to mention another Yamaha.

Banned
    I am in search for this one...

I have a few....

XT500 Motard isn't finished in that pic obviously, its almost done now. LC is a 421cc with modern suspension. I also have a standard XL500R, part restored RD350F1 YPVS, Honda MT250 with CR engine parts and a 31K YPVS like Simons, ie in bits... tho mine will be modified. Stories are on my 2smoked.com site if you want to read em, grab coffee / beer tho, its quite involved LOL I reckon bikes are very much like watches, they get under your skin... well the dirt gets under your nails at least LOL!

Loving the Suzi 125 Shaun!
    Last edited by JonW; 7th August 2014 at 00:53.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    What is that, please? A picture of Jarno Saarinen's Yamaha 250 cc V-twin adorned my wall for a long time. As I recall, it had a lot of gears and revved to 16,000 rpm.

PS By shifting my (not inconsiderable) weight, I managed a wheelie on a FS1E. Sorry to mention another Yamaha.
    It is a mish mash made up from various Suzuki 125 cc models but road legal (Daytime MOT) and stripped of all weight with the engine tuned to near limits but geared so it is just rideable on the road but as you need to keep it in a very narrow and high power band to get anywhere and you will notice the full expansion pipe so it sounds like something out of a 125 GP circa 1972 (Glorious)

Craftsman
    My homegrown beemer, as I fancied pin stripe and classic look with "modern" size (as the old post war bikes are too small for me):

Its been a R80ST originally. Just had its 30th birthday.
    Last edited by bmwrover; 7th August 2014 at 10:48.

Craftsman
    The nicest colour scheme for the 100RS.

I had one in silver years ago, that I bought from my father, who bought it from a traffic cop. The way the whole thing torques to the side when you rev it at the lights always made me smile.

It was the only bike I've ever ridden that I got waved to by police motorcyclists!

that number plate must be worth something to a bsa owner

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    I've had a few new bikes over the years and currently have a BMW F800GS, but recently caught the bug for an old machine to accompany it and be tinkered with in the garage

I'm picking this beauty up on Friday. Anyone else have any vintage machinery?

1983 BMW R100RS.

Blog Entries

That is a thing of beauty although you might want to change that rear plate as silver on black is illegal for registrations after 1/8/73.

Congrats on finding such a clean looking example!!

Lovely bike the R100RS, only 80bhp, skinny tyres and no brakes to speak of, you could use all the performance of the machine and have a thoroughly good time spanking more modern and powerful bikes. Made a nice noise too.

Here's mine, long gone now but how I wish I still had it:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    but recently caught the bug for an old machine to accompany it and be tinkered with in the garage
    In thát case you bought the wrong bike.

You should have bought ány Norton or something ´London to Brighton run´.

The R100RS is rather reliable and tinkerfree.

Had a few old bikes, from an RE5 Suzuki with the rotary engine to some 50's Brits through to a 31 Indian 4. I'm away at the mo but will try to dig out some pics when I'm back.

Malc

I'd love an old BSA c15Trials bike just to potter around on.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrover View Post
    My homegrown beemer, as I fancied pin stripe and classic look with "modern" size (as the old post war bikes are too small for me):

Its been a R80ST originally. Just had its 30th birthday.
    May I ask who made this? If it's you it's magnificent. Do you do it commercially?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquavit View Post
    Lovely bike the R100RS, only 80bhp, skinny tyres and no brakes to speak of, you could use all the performance of the machine and have a thoroughly good time spanking more modern and powerful bikes. Made a nice noise too.

Here's mine, long gone now but how I wish I still had it:

SNAP!! Love this colour. Sadly couldn't collect it today as the chap was busy, and it now looks like I'll be getting wet on the way back from Surrey tomorrow. Oh well, lets hope the fairing keeps most of the water off!

Love your R80 BMWrover - more details and more pics needed!

Oh well, lets hope the fairing keeps most of the water off!
    It does.

hers mine i also have a tatty c15 as well sadly they are both being sold as i just dont have time to use them
    Last edited by mav112; 7th August 2014 at 23:02.

I'm very envious of you picking your "new" R100RS up tomorrow (even in the wet), reading this thread and looking at these beautiful machines has really got me pining for my old bike.

The thought of a long day in the saddle, riding some lightly trafficed back roads, listening to the burble of those twin exhausts whilst safely ensconced behind the worlds first fully aerodynamic fairing along with a riding position that strikes the perfect balance between comfort and sporting, only the road and the bike to occupy the mind ..............

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    That's lovely.

Here's my 1981 Honda CX500.

don't see many of these about as most have been despatched to death!

Looks in excellent nick as well!

Quote Originally Posted by mav112 View Post
    hers mine i also have a tatty c15 as well sadly they are both being sold as i just dont have time to use them

What a beautiful Enfield, is it a Meteor Minor? I do have a soft spot for Royal Enfields after buying a basket case Continental GT as a 14 year old and restoring it ready for my 17th birthday. Here it is with my old C15 back in the 1970's complete with clip ons and bacon slicers!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mav112 View Post
    Looks a very nice example, wish I had the time/ patience to have something like that in the fold.

Wink

The Flying Finn NEVER had a V Twin.
    Jarno rode TD2/3 TZ250 parallel twins. I am old enough to say I woz there!

I currently have 2 old BM and 1 old Triumph, 2 Morinis and one new Triumph.

Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post
    The Flying Finn NEVER had a V Twin.
    Jarno rode TD2/3 TZ250 parallel twins. I am old enough to say I woz there!

I currently have 2 old BM and 1 old Triumph, 2 Morinis and one new Triumph.
    My apologies, a little more research and I believe my picture was of the 1973 Yamaha YZR 500 OW 20. So, wrong size and twice as many cylinders (inclined and in-line)!

Edit:

"By clever design the inline engine was kept as narrow as a V-Four and remained very well balanced throughout its rev range, In the early part of 1972 this radical engine was fully developed and by September that same year a complete machine was up and running.

The very first race bike was a piston port design and initially deemed too peaky by the intended GP rider Jarno Saarinen." See: link.

So, maybe, I didn't get it all wrong?
    Last edited by PickleB; 8th August 2014 at 22:28.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    I have a few....

and a 31K YPVS like Simons, ie in bits...
    Frame is now prepped for painting you'll be glad to hear! Determined not to do a half arsed job and have a 7 year old's social life to deal with so progress is slow, but once it's painted the bits go back on! If I ever do another one, and it's unlikely, I will never do the frame myself again!

Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    tho mine will be modified.
    Tell me more!

Master
    Here's a couple of my past projects:-

And my latest (which is now on ebay!)

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    What a beautiful Enfield, is it a Meteor Minor? I do have a soft spot for Royal Enfields after buying a basket case Continental GT as a 14 year old and restoring it ready for my 17th birthday. Here it is with my old C15 back in the 1970's complete with clip ons and bacon slicers!

yep meteor minor its really is in lovely condition

i had a 250 enfield. when i was 17 too also an a10 with a sidecar which i stuffed into a flyover wall going to fast round a bend

Blog Entries
    Nice thread.

This was my late father and the bike he owned from the 50's til he passed away in the 90's.

Manx 'Inter' Norton.

Greg.

My apologies, a little more research and I believe my picture was of the 1973 Yamaha YZR 500 OW 20. So, wrong size and twice as many cylinders (inclined and in-line)!

Edit:

"By clever design the inline engine was kept as narrow as a V-Four and remained very well balanced throughout its rev range, In the early part of 1972 this radical engine was fully developed and by September that same year a complete machine was up and running.

The very first race bike was a piston port design and initially deemed too peaky by the intended GP rider Jarno Saarinen." See: link.

So, maybe, I didn't get it all wrong?
    No apologies necessary!
    My remarks related to his 250cc Yamahas.
    It looked like he was likely to win the 500 WC by a country mile at the time of his and Renzo's tragic accident on 250's.
    Catch his ride winning the Imola 200 on the TZ350 blowing the TR750 and H2R's into the weeds!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Frame is now prepped for painting you'll be glad to hear! Determined not to do a half arsed job and have a 7 year old's social life to deal with so progress is slow, but once it's painted the bits go back on! If I ever do another one, and it's unlikely, I will never do the frame myself again!

Tell me more!
    Good news on the frame, bet your fingers hurt LOL!

full details on my ramble around whether to build the 31k as a resto or modified and then the hunt for parts, and then... well, grab a coffee/beer and read on, its two pages... LOL

http://2smoked.com/Yamaha_RZ350_RD35..._1983_31k.html

As of this week Im dry building it a bit, and it looks like this:

Last edited by JonW; 13th August 2014 at 02:47.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    May I ask who made this? If it's you it's magnificent. Do you do it commercially?
    Thanks for the kind comments, yes I made it, it is a private build, I dont do this for a living. I attach a few more pics from the same days ride out through the Hop fields:

Master
    Thanks for the kind comments, yes I made it, it is a private build, I dont do this for a living. I attach a few more pics from the same days ride out through the Hop fields:

Very nice. Question for you - those handlebars - are the proper 22mm or did you have to modify the clamps to make them fit? If they are proper 22mm - can you tell me where I can get them please?! Ongoing problem for me trying to find handlebars that fit properly with resorting to the dremel.....

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubdweller View Post
    don't see many of these about as most have been despatched to death!
    Haha - yes. Remember friend had one and used to leave a tray under it overnight to catch the leaking oil which was so bad he poured it back into the bike in the morning before going to work.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    Very nice. Question for you - those handlebars - are the proper 22mm or did you have to modify the clamps to make them fit? If they are proper 22mm - can you tell me where I can get them please?! Ongoing problem for me trying to find handlebars that fit properly with resorting to the dremel.....

Thanks.

Have you tried motorworks, or renthal ?

Craftsman
    Handlebars were standard 22mm diameter, but to find the right handlebar took at least four attempts, very flat street bar (too low), chrome touring bar (too boring), BMW moto cross style bar (okay, but distracts from the lamp/speedo combo) so in the end that medium heights and wide touring bar I like the best. I think its a Lucas 90924 (at least thats what the MoT guy wrote in my paperwork after approval of the changes (strict German TUV :-(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Have you tried motorworks, or renthal ?
    I have, thanks. The problem is that most bars marked up as "22mm" are actually something like 22.2mm, which is the old imperial 78". Old BM's require exactly 22mm, otherwise it is virtually impossible to get the switchgear clamps over the bars. I already have about 4 or 5 bars in the garage which I specifically asked if they were exactly 22mm before buying - none of them fit!

Handlebars were standard 22mm diameter, but to find the right handlebar took at least four attempts, very flat street bar (too low), chrome touring bar (too boring), BMW moto cross style bar (okay, but distracts from the lamp/speedo combo) so in the end that medium heights and wide touring bar I like the best. I think its a Lucas 90924 (at least thats what the MoT guy wrote in my paperwork after approval of the changes (strict German TUV :-(
    Thanks for this - I will have a go with the Lucas 90924 then.

N

Craftsman
    Neil, I looked it up for you, It is a "Lucas TWR Classic High" handlebar and despite the fact I opted for the black painted one, I had no problems sliding over the BMW switch gear.

1978 GP200 -