closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decent white shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Well, all the shirts arrived yesterday, what a flippin' faff this has all been!

I got a couple from Hugo Boss and a couple from Thomas Pink, I've decided to keep the Boss one as the fit, quality of cotton and look is spot on!

One of the TP ones was nigh on £200 and the quality was poor compared to the Boss! I think for £99 the Boss represents great value and can be worn with a suit and tie or just casual with jeans.

Thanks for all your help with this lads!
    Thats interesting.

I have been buying Pink shirts for a couple of years but recently gone off them as their slim fit shirts arent as good a fit as they used to be.Might try Boss.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Thats interesting.

I have been buying Pink shirts for a couple of years but recently gone off them as their slim fit shirts arent as good a fit as they used to be.Might try Boss.
    This is the one I went for -

http://store-uk.hugoboss.com/formal-...q=juri&start=1

lovely shirt, cotton is thicker than some I looked at and not "see through" so can easily be worn without a jacket, good value for £99 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I can get shirts hand-made for just over £100 at a tailor in Manchester
    Would that be Frank Rostron?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorrocks View Post
    Would that be Frank Rostron?
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Thats interesting.

Don't know about the fit but the 'Made in Vietnam/Somewhere in Asia' label (or whatever sweatshop de jour) tells you all you need to know about the quality verses price equation...

I wear double (french) cuff white shirts nearly every day.
    Been doing so for 35 years.
    I have tried them all. And I mean...ALL
    My findings:
    99% of 'designer' brands start to look crap after a few washes, they look great initially, but just not worth the money.
    Roccola, VanHuesen, CharlesT, TMLewin...all really good value for money, but check what you're buying.
    Next shhirts used to be fantasic, but these days, the quality is no better than Primark. Avoid.
    Quick test, run a finger inside the shirt before you buy, around the button area.
    If you can see the colour of your finger through the material, put it back on the shelf and walk away.
    (Unless you're looking for a very thin cotton mix.)
    Best value for your ££...M&S Luxury range. £45 each or 2 for £60.
    Best off the peg shirt ever??
    Austin Reed....but we all know what happened to them a few years after they started selling womens clothing.

Top white shirt tip: To keep it looking really crisp, NEVER EVER wash with anything coloured.

Try Eton or Eterna
    Never bought a bad one from either company

Van Laack are tremendous. German quality and worth a look, they are extremely durable.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Been wearing Reiss a while now and there stuff is top quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Try Eton or Eterna
    Never bought a bad one from either company
    Agreed - good quality cotton and the non-iron ones are really non-iron.

Craftsman
    Looking to resurrect this thread if I may folks. Similar to the original OP I have a wedding in a month and, having not bought a ‘proper’ shirt for what seems like years, I’m looking for recommendations please.

White shirt
    Standard collar
    Slim fit
    Double cuff
    Less than £100

Looking ideally for a good quality, ‘thick’ cotton option.

Thanks!

Craftsman
    Great shirts for not a lot of money

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I'd probly start with M&S. Once the first 3 glasses of champers have gone down at the wedding, nobody really cares anyway.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Best of the high street lot imo. These are my go to white work shirts - the finish eg buttons isn’t great but otherwise b good value.

Schoffa - if you happen to be in Scandinavia are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by tvralan View Post
    Great shirts for not a lot of money

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

If memory serves me correctly (it has been 9 years!) I ended up buying a Boss white shirt, was expensive (around £150 back then) but I literally only put it in the clothes bank last month. It did several weddings & funerals!

I had another wedding last month and when I got it out of the wardrobe it had gone a bit yellow so decided to retire it.

Bought a Next shirt for this wedding, a signature one I think they called it, nowhere near as good but was only £40 and served it’s purpose.

You'll likely do alright at M&S without breaking the bank.

They have a slightly more expensive range and a variety of cuts, so you should find something half decent.

If you want to splash out Eton make very nice shirts, but they are about £150 a go

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Usually CT Shirts for work (slightly better than Lewin) or Pink and Suit Supply MTM for something special.

Need some shirts in the next few weeks and will give H&C a go.

Agree with couple of other posters - M&S from their premium (pure cotton) ranges.

No-one will really care how good (or expensive) the shirt is anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No-one will really care how good (or expensive) the shirt is anyway.
    It is all about the bride (and lesser extent about the groom). Unless you are in your 20s and looking to snaffle any talent that is around, I wouldn’t lay out too much.

Craftsman
    I've had good experiences with Charles Tyrwhitt shirts. These white shirts are available at £29.95 and if I were in your situation, I'd go with these over M&S.

https://www.charlestyrwhitt.com/uk/m...rts-new-season

Hope this is helpful to you.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Eton are my go to for top quality white shirts. Fantastic quality that lasts and lasts. You can often find them on sale at around £100

https://www.etonshirts.com

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    I've had good experiences with Charles Tyrwhitt shirts. These white shirts are available at £29.95 and if I were in your situation, I'd go with these over M&S.

https://www.charlestyrwhitt.com/uk/m...rts-new-season

Hope this is helpful to you.

How do you get the £29.95 price? Is there a discount code?

Quote Originally Posted by tom_0787 View Post
    Eton are my go to for top quality white shirts. Fantastic quality that lasts and lasts. You can often find them on sale at around £100

https://www.etonshirts.com

This! Top quality shirts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    How do you get the £29.95 price? Is there a discount code?

It just came up when I searched the website. I didn't do anything specific to get it. I've attached a screenshot so you can see what I'm looking at.

Craftsman
    Thanks folks. I’ve been buying CT shirts for years but have noticed the quality isn’t what it once was and they’re becoming thinner and thinner.

Had shortlisted Boss or Eterna due to previous posts but might give the M&S ones a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    Had shortlisted Boss or Eterna due to previous posts but might give the M&S ones a shot.
    If you’re willing to spend enough to get a Boss shirt, I can highly recommend Paul Smith. I bought a classic white shirt for a wedding a few years ago and it is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    If you’re willing to spend enough to get a Boss shirt, I can highly recommend Paul Smith. I bought a classic white shirt for a wedding a few years ago and it is still going strong.
    At the price point of boss shirts I’d look at Eton shirts as my first stop

Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post
    At the price point of boss shirts I’d look at
    I am sure you will have to suffer their logo, usually repeated multiple times if anything like their other clothes.

Alan Partridge would approve.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    https://turnbullandasser.co.uk/colle...%20%26%20Asser

However if by the time the jacket and tie come of and “ dirty dancing” aided by a couple of sherbert’s starts just go for M&S.
    Last edited by mart broad; 5th March 2023 at 14:00.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    I don't think you can better a white shirt made by Hilditch and Key.

They are pricey but they really do last and always seem to look good.

Some examples here.

https://www.hilditchandkey.co.uk/col...t-white-shirts

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I am sure you will have to suffer their logo, usually repeated multiple times if anything like their other clothes.

Alan Partridge would approve.

Some are loud.

However pretty hard to look past their price point for top notch white shirts.

Master
    I’ve had a few from these in the past. https://www.harvieandhudson.com/shir...sic-fit-shirt/

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Good shout Alan.

Im a sticker for routine and if I need a new formal shirt it’s straight to T&A for me, but feel the need to try Budd and Emma Willis at some stage.

If you don’t want to spend a fortune, which is quite understandable the M&S Sartorial range of shirts are excellent value for money, nice cloth, well cut and a range of patterns to suit most needs.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    another vote for M&S i used to have 2 of their white shirts per day for work. i had a real job then culverhouse cross might be your best bet - decent size branch with a good range of menswear

these days i get really dirty so its just polo shirts for me - but if you are near cardiff then there is a tmlewin at mcarthur glen near J36 M4 lots of decent enough shirts for 20'odd quid and up. perhaps half of my smart casual shirts are from there.

Next is rubbish office wear for the debt burdened graduate at the best of times but if you pop into the next at mcglen you can always have a good laugh at what some folks wear without having a gun pointed at their heads...

boss is ok but overpriced and not does not suit my robust figure. asda and primark - not sure why you would go to a wedding if you dont like the people but if you choose to look like the defendant then that is up to you. boss is available in cardiff and cwmbran at house of fraser btw ...

this assumes you do actually live near cardiff.

p.s. easy iron shirts are for idiots who need date windows and shouldn't be allowed out on their own !

well, hark at me from 9 years ago...
    M&S shirts gone to the dogs, weird sizing and a significant drop in qualitly to price ratio imho.

next is still teen/first job rubbish.

used to buy from tmlewin and tyrwhitt when their multi deals offered better value but again the quality to price ratio has floundered in the last few years. have a couple of tyrwitts left - good enough but seldom worn.
    -
    fell into and out of love with hawes & curtis - charity auctioned most for ukraine - their work/formal stuff is ok but their casual stuff is horrid.

have been collecting vintage thomas pink shirts as i dont like the way the new stuff is going. its a collar thing.
    also vintage hilfiger stuff - as with TP for smart casual wear.

boss ok but over priced, and a bit boring.

haven't been shirt shopping in about 3 ish years, sartorial elegance would be lost on the crowd i seem to hang out with these dsys. sadly their idea of making an effort seems to consist of washing AND IRONING their polo shirts. interestingly (or perhaps knot - dont get me started on ties) i have had peopled ask about the way i dress - usually its the cufflinks - you should see their faces when i start on about collar stays and pocket squares...

i seem to have a linen shirt fetish at the moment but thats for another time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    well, hark at me from 9 years ago...
    M&S shirts gone to the dogs, weird sizing and a significant drop in qualitly to price ratio imho.

next is still teen/first job rubbish.

used to buy from tmlewin and tyrwhitt when their multi deals offered better value but again the quality to price ratio has floundered in the last few years. have a couple of tyrwitts left - good enough but seldom worn.
    -
    fell into and out of love with hawes & curtis - charity auctioned most for ukraine - their work/formal stuff is ok but their casual stuff is horrid.

have been collecting vintage thomas pink shirts as i dont like the way the new stuff is going. its a collar thing.
    also vintage hilfiger stuff - as with TP for smart casual wear.

boss ok but over priced, and a bit boring.

haven't been shirt shopping in about 3 ish years, sartorial elegance would be lost on the crowd i seem to hang out with these dsys. sadly their idea of making an effort seems to consist of washing AND IRONING their polo shirts. interestingly (or perhaps knot - dont get me started on ties) i have had peopled ask about the way i dress - usually its the cufflinks - you should see their faces when i start on about collar stays and pocket squares...

i seem to have a linen shirt fetish at the moment but thats for another time...
    I remember 20+ years ago when a TML shirt was a brilliant quality item, now a poor version of its former self.

I moved to CT for my last set of shirts 3 years ago pre-covid, barely wore them & now likely never will as WFH so much (and put on weight, so super slim doesn't yet fit me again!)

M&S really have gone to pot, as have JL with both quality and customer service. I have socks from M&S from 10yrs ago still out lasting purchases 12 months ago, it is shameful.

On the quality rant, Gap white t shirts, so thin now as to be a joke vs the ones from years ago!