closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What's up with torches?

What's up with torches?

This isn't a sneering question, I'm well aware that here on this watch forum none of us have any right to look at any other hobby and say it's dumb.

But what's up with torches??

When I was a kid, torches had 3 or 4 D batteries, last time I checked in they had an LED and 4 AAAs. But now, for reasons I myself cannot fathom, I've bought a Sofirn S21 Pro with something called Anduril instead of a simple on/off button.

Torch enthusiasts, what are you looking for in a torch? What's a good feature? What's a bad feature?

Here are some of the factors that you might like to consider (I'm sure that the real enthusiasts can add some more):

• weight
    • size
    • max output – how bright
    • min output – to be discrete
    • battery type – rechargeable or not?
    • battery capacity – how long will it run (and at what level)?
    • recharge – via port or external?
    • beam shape – wide and even (floody) or narrow and concentrated (thrower)
    • colour temperature – bright white (sort of like halogen bulbs) to off white (like incandescent bulbs)
    • colour rendition – CRI (look it up!)
    • stepped (how many levels) or ramped brightness
    • extras
      “tactical” additions (crenelations, tail button etc)
      tail stand?
      magnet to attach it to things?
    • cost

One switch
    One mode
    One hundred lumens
    Ordinary batteries.

Thank me after a year and hundreds of pounds into this.

You need to get yourself on to some of the torch/flashlight forums and ask that question!

Good starting points are Candlepowerforums
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/ and Budgetlightforum https://budgetlightforum.com/ although there are lots of others.

Basically the technology has moved on massively from the old on/off incandescent torches, allowing insane amounts of light (enough to burn through clothing!) from tiny devices which are rechargeable, and can - through modern electronic interfaces - have an infinite number of settings.

Need a torch to go to the loo in the night without waking anybody else or destroying your night vision?
    Need a torch to see what's happening at the very end of your (long) garden?
    Need a torch that will last for days while you're away from power?
    Need a torch that you can use underwater?
    Need a very, very bright strobe that will confuse an assailant while your partner handcuffs them?
    Need a torch that emits ultraviolet light so that you can marvel at the lume on your watch?
    Need a tiny torch that fits on your keyring but is still incredibly bright?
    Need a torch that is robust enough to get driven over and dropped multiple times, but continues to work?
    Need a torch that's reliable enough to use on life-critical search and rescue missions?

And many, many, many more use cases.

Last edited by PhilipK; 23rd August 2023 at 17:50. Reason: typo

Craftsman
    I keep one, Sofirn, in the car, just above internal light switches, where I can also charge it, in case of something going wrong: running out of petrol, breakdown, mechanical or electrical, finding lost coins etc.

Does anyone the best place to buy replacement batteries? 16340
    Last edited by EBB21; 23rd August 2023 at 18:40.

I only need two settings really, on and off!

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Here are some of the factors that you might like to consider (I'm sure that the real enthusiasts can add some more):

• weight
    • size
    • max output – how bright
    • min output – to be discrete
    • battery type – rechargeable or not?
    • battery capacity – how long will it run (and at what level)?
    • recharge – via port or external?
    • beam shape – wide and even (floody) or narrow and concentrated (thrower)
    • colour temperature – bright white (sort of like halogen bulbs) to off white (like incandescent bulbs)
    • colour rendition – CRI (look it up!)
    • stepped (how many levels) or ramped brightness
    • extras
      “tactical” additions (crenelations, tail button etc)
      tail stand?
      magnet to attach it to things?
    • cost
    I get most of that. Honestly though, I don't particularly care about beam shape, colour temp, whatever rendition is, steps or whatever else there is.

Well, I say I don't care. I don't care right now. But I like "features", I like things that aren't immediately apparent to the uninitiated.

I just hope this Sofirn thing isn't a gateway, although I can totally see it happening. It happened once upon a time with a Seiko...

Journeyman
    Waterproof and strobe function - so you can throw it in the hot tub after dark and freak out the kids!

Waterproof also helps when you leave it clipped in your trousers in the washing machine. Again.

At least 1000 lumens so that when held in a closed fist your hand glows red and you can play Super Hero!

Kubaton sized, with a pocket clip, cos anything else seems like a missed opportunity.

Rechargeable, obviously.

And don't forget, light has been weaponised. Seriously. I once stopped a violent assault in its tracks with a mere 1000 lumens. I have now upgraded to the later version of the same one with 3000...... That'll do me.

Like watches......... its a rabbit hole, and best avoided. I merely dipped my toe in; figured out what I liked/wanted/needed and then left it well alone!

Whatever fits in an MX-5 glovebox.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Ill have you know my wifes MX5 has three, yes three cubby holes in her MX5 :)

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Belstaff pocket

A small hotel across the road from me has used a pair of floodlights rather than spotlights to light up their sign which shine into my living room

Which torch would be best for persecuting them until they get the point? TIA

Olight Baton 3 - but it's kept in the MX-5's centre console, rather than in the glovebox.

And it's Red, with a Black clip (swapped from my Orange Baton 3) to match the colour of the car.

Rabbit hole? What rabbit hole?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I only need two settings really, on and off!

JETBeam BC20

One of my favourites very easy to use.

Tail switch on/off.

Just 2 modes high and low just twist the cap.

Will tail stand.

Very reliable and long battery life.

I have a few torches but my favorite is a Olight L90906289 (£9.95) which is always in my pocket on a key chain with a couple of keys, the battery life is superb (1 AAA) and the light is good enough for most of my needs and it has come to my rescue so MANY times, love it.

I'm looking for something that's smallish, brightish and reasonably robust.

Oh, and it also needs to be easy to operate when I'm staggering home from the pub.

Currently have a Fenix UC30, which covers most bases. It also arrived with a matching MOLLE pouch for fastening to my Maxpedition tactcal man bag.

Hope the self-mocking humour is evident.

The one problem that I have with the UC30 is that it can take a moment to find the power button in the dark. This of course means that a further purchase is inescapable. Bah!
    Last edited by Cornholio; 23rd August 2023 at 21:34.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I'm looking for something that's smallish, brightish and reasonably robust.

Oh, and it also needs to be easy to operate when I'm staggering home from the pub.

Currently have a Fenix UC30, which covers most bases. It also arrived with a matching MOLLE pouch for fastening too my Maxpedition tactcal man bag.

Hope the self-mocking humour is evident.

The one problem that I have with the UC30 is that it can take a moment to find the power button in the dark. This of course means that a furthet purchase is inescapable. Bah!

This is the favourite one I use on my keys,easy twist the head,no modes, bright.

Perfect for staggering or finding things dropped on the pub floor.

ThruNite T12

https://thrunite.com/outsider-ti2-ke...-light-bundle/

Nice 😊

Sometimes I think TZ is a different universe, what with folk stressing about the perfect SAK for the office, and having to have an arsenal of torches for emergencies!

Don't you just use the torch on your phone like normal people?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

I was ambivalent until I bought a Wuben C3. Wow, torches have moved on exponentially in recent years!
    Small enough to fit in a pocket and essential for those winter dog walks in the dark. Rechargeable too though only required a couple of times each winter.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Sometimes I think TZ is a different universe........ Don't you just use the torch on your phone like normal people?

Whaaaaat?!

Next you'll be saying use your phone to tell the time time like normal people.............!?

LOL

Its an internet "Watch forum".

There are no normal people here.

Cheap purchase item

Just picked up a keychain Fenix E03R V2 with 500 lumin which is pretty bright for a small flashlight. 4 levels and a red flashing light

Lithium battery, so just charge from a USB port

About $30.00US

Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post
    There are no normal people here.
    I'll second that.

Sometimes I think TZ is a different universe, what with folk stressing about the perfect SAK for the office, and having to have an arsenal of torches for emergencies!

For watching badgers?

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    For watching badgers?
    Exhibit A

No phone has a proper torch, just saying.....
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post

And don't forget, light has been weaponised. Seriously. I once stopped a violent assault in its tracks with a mere 1000 lumens. I have now upgraded to the later version of the same one with 3000...... That'll do me.
    Which brand/model is this?

I like Olight. Some will say overpriced, but there's constant sales which helps.

What I've learned (and I do use torches extensively for extra-curriculars, so they're not just sitting on a shelf!) is that maximising lumens is relatively meaningless. What matters is how much light can it put out for a good period of time (i.e. a couple of hours for a 21700 sized torch), what beam pattern you get (I want something well balanced with range, not a flood light or a laser beam), and it needs to be easy to operate with gloves (no finnicky buttons please!). There's also the hygiene factors, i.e. I wouldn't consider something that isn't robust and reasonably water proof.

If those specs sound like what you would want in a torch, then I really like the Olight Warrior X3.

I'm more than happy with a basic Amazon LED for glovebox/occasional use but love my Olight Javelot mini (600m throw) for winter evening dog walks etc.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

This thread is another reason why I love tz-uk (or dadsnet as my wife calls it).

I’m fond of a torch or two but this has sent me down a (well-lit) rabbit hole.

My little torch journey, albeit that I won't allow myself to buy any more! Funny thing is, I thought the little Victrinox (well, it says "Swiss Military on it?) was a revelation when I bought it a few years ago

The Olight is absolutely ridiculous in terms of output, quality, functionality, etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    This isn't a sneering question, I'm well aware that here on this watch forum none of us have any right to look at any other hobby and say it's dumb.

When I was a kid, torches had 3 or 4 D A time I checked in they had an LED and 4 AAAs. But now, for reasons I myself cannot fathom, I've bought a Sofirn S21 Pro with something called Anduril instead of a simple on/off button.

Torch enthusiasts, what are you looking for in a torch? What's a good feature? What's a bad feature?
    Just reading up on Anduril and started to glaze over, low, medium, high and on/off for me. Thanks for the heads up on Anduril though as will avoid.

Craftsman
    I've been using a couple of the Ultra fire 300LM torches for 8yrs for running, dog walks, camping etc.. and still going strong. Any size/power with Cree LED are ridiculously good, but to get the best performance you need to use the beefy Trustfire14500 batteries for example. AA's won't cut the mustard.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Just reading up on Anduril and started to glaze over, low, medium, high and on/off for me. Thanks for the heads up on Anduril though as will avoid.
    just set that with Anduril and leave it job done its easy enough.

Ignore what you dont need its only a programme.

I just counted I have 9 torches within 2 metres of me.

I have more upstairs, in my sheds,car and motorbike.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    just set that with Anduril and leave it job done its easy enough.

Ignore what you dont need its only a programme.

I just counted I have 9 torches within 2 metres of me.

I have more upstairs, in my sheds,car and motorbike.
    I’m hoping there are clear instructions, as I’ve just looked online for Anduril and all the clicks and holds has given me a headache.

Mine may have to be returned if it isn’t intuitive. Think the space shuttle lights were easier to operate!

I walk my dog in woods in the dark once autumn arrives and have always used a free gift torch I got from Harbor Freight in the US.

Perfectly adequate for making sure I don't trip over tree roots etc.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Which brand/model is this?
    There you go......

https://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fe...l-Edition.html

Had the PD35 before - which is still going strong after 4 or 5 years. Both pretty resilient and have had lots of literal abuse. Both plenty bright enough for me.

I only have one torch, recommended on Pistonheads, and I’m not a torch geek, but it’s a little cracker:
    Nitecore TIP SE Mini Torch – 700 Lumens LED – Rechargeable USB C – Key Ring Torch – Waterproof IP54 with 4 Modes 26 g [Black]

£29.45 on Amazon.

Tiny, well made, very light.

Settings from 1 lumen to a frankly ludicrous (for the size) 700 lumens.

For context, I think my iPhone torch tops out at circa 50 lumens.

Handy for seeing inside my heating oil tank to gauge the level, with the bonus that I’m no-longer in danger of dropping my iPhone in there.

Well the Sofirn arrived earlier, I have to say I'm impressed by the brightness from such a little thing. Christ though, it gets hot fast! Battery life remains to be seen, I'm sceptical.

On the UI... what's the point? Seriously. On, off, a little ramping, sorted. I cannot figure out how to activate the strobe, not sure whether I can be bothered.

It's a nice cheap intro to this sort of stuff but I'm relieved to say this isn't a rabbit hole I'm falling down.

Master
    …………..
    It's a nice cheap intro to this sort of stuff but I'm relieved to say this isn't a rabbit hole I'm falling down.
    You know there are Titainium torches, and brass, and copper, and……..

(Reopens rabbit hole)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’m hoping there are clear instructions, as I’ve just looked online for Anduril and all the clicks and holds has given me a headache.

Mine may have to be returned if it isn’t intuitive. Think the space shuttle lights were easier to operate!

I read the instructions they are clear enough, I ignore the flow chart.

To be fair I have mentioned how I set it up several times.

You dont have to remember it all,just choose the functions you want.

Example,You can set it up to send morse code if you like, I dont need that so havent bothered to read that section.

Like my previous light from them its set up like this and took me 5 mins.

Press button it comes on at my pre-set brightness then ramp up for brighter or down for dim (if need be) by holding the switch down.

2 quick clicks gives me turbo.

Switch has a dim glow,so power cut or dark room I can find it.

Even Boris Johnson could follow that (maybe not)

"

You are looking for logic, it's the same as watches, knives etc. it's a disease, (I got it), there is no logic.

We buy the 1500 lumens model, then swoon at the new 1700 lumens model, then it's the really light titanium model or the really heavy stainless steel version, yes we want both.
    Whatever justification for that, then there are companies like Olight who sell the same torch over and over to the same people because, they are a different colour. Then claim the blue or purple one is a limited edition. "If you don't hurry up, we won't let you buy the same torch that you already have".
    Some start expensive collections of models with inbuilt proprietary batteries, couple of years time, you have a box of junk etc etc.

Master
    Like blue Philipk said above go here for all you need to learn about flashlights they are the TZ-UK of the flashlight/Torch world

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/

Mine arrived late yesterday evening so little time to play with it.

First impressions are it’s a very powerful torch, way brighter than any of my other LED torches. Incredible for its size. Light and pocketable and I like the simple LED on the switch which makes it easy to find in the dark whilst giving a visual indication of battery state.

Downsides? Well, I would have liked the ability to focus the beam as I can on both my Maglite’s, (even my tiny non LED Maglite Solitaire has that). Whilst the SC21 is brighter, my Maglite 3D has a greater more concentrated throw with that feature. Also, whist I bought the pro model the small manual that came with it was for Anduril 1, not Anduril 2 which it is claimed to be shipped with. I’ve not had chance to play with advanced mode but the Andruil 2 manual is easily downloaded from the net so shouldn’t be a problem, though some of the features may be a little different.

Overall, I’m quite impressed with this little bargain.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Yeah, be like Agent Scully:

They used those a lot in the earliest seasons and nobody has to know that with that form factor back in the day you could achieve what you now can do with a keychain light.

HMMMMM Agent Scully...torches whatever.