closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Foray into DE Razor shaving.....

First Foray into DE Razor shaving.....

Ok so following on from the Straight razor thread and having ordered my first equipment to start DE shaving, most of it has arrived today.
    Still awaiting my bowl of Sandalwood soap from Taylor's.

Took a few quick snaps:

I know these are a bit blurred, sorry, but just wanted to take some quick snaps before I started using everything.
    I have to say the Edwin Jagger 3D looks and feels wonderful in the hand, nice weight and great grip!
    Plus the New Forest tubby 1, seems good quality too.

Will start with my first shave this evening, maybe a 2 pass or 3 pass attempt. I'll take my time and not press hard, hopefully not cut myself too much.
    I'll report back in this thread and update as I try different techniques/blades/soaps etc.

I'll have lot's questions no doubt and hopefully you guys can give me a steer.

Actually 1st question:
    What do you do with your used blades? Some of mine came in cardboard boxes so no-where to store the used ones?

Cheers for now.....

UPDATE (4 Months On, equipment list and review):

Taylor of Old Bond St Sandalwood Pre-Shave Oil ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nice, but not really needed
    Taylor Of Old Bond St Sandalwood Soap and Bowl---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Doesn't really work well in hard water areas
    Edwin Jagger 3D Laser Diamond ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Good Razor, nice weight and grip
    A mixture of blades to try, Gillette 7 O' Clock, Wilkinson Sword, Derby DE Blades. ---------------------------------------- Liking the Gillette and Feathers best so far
    Parker Leather Case ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Will be good for Travelling, Razor just fits inside.
    Blue Shaving Mug Bowl (ebay)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nicely made and huge! lots of room for a nice lather
    New Forest Tubby 1 High Mountain Two Band -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Good brush, but haven't tried any others!
    Alum Block----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Great stuff, stings a bit but in a nice way.
    Proraso Shave Cut Healing Gel------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Never used, don't bother with it
    Various Cream moisturisers --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Some better than others, don't always need to use any.
    Kent Chrome Brush Stand------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Use every day to hold the razor, does what it says on the tin
    Prorasso shaving cream tube -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Much easier to get a good lather than soap (at least in hard water areas!)
    Muhle razor cover--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Great for extra safety if you have kids in the house, pop the cover over the razor head and blade.
    Prorasso After shave lotion (green)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Love this stuff, splash it all over alcohol based lotion but with a soothing effect as well.
    Prorasso Sensitive After shave lotion (White)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Similar to the green but more of a moisturising cream effect - good for cold weather days.
    Last edited by Thorien; 26th November 2014 at 10:58.

Nice kit. I persist with a truly unpleasant looking Indian effort with dubious manufacturing tolerances :)

My old blades I tend to pinch to snap in half lengthways - then they can be disposed of a little more safely as there is only one side that is hurty :). I save some for craft projects as when they stop being great for shaving they are still useful as sharp thin blades.

Master
    Wow that's a lot of stuff you've got there. Be interesting to hear how you get on.

I suspect that DE shaving is the best way todo it. I've been doing it for many years.... I used to shave with a straight razor in my early twenties but I eventually found it too much nonsense and too time consuming so started onto multi-blades, Gilette mach this, that and the other. I went back to DE when I realised that it's a much nicer shave.

I have three Merkur razors which I alternate between, my favourite being the Futur, then the Vision (quite heavy, but fun to use) and then the 34C (which I take when travelling as it's a little more compact and lighter. Currently working my way through a box of Astra blades but might switch to Feather when I'm finished the box.

Good luck with it.

PS. Edit. Currently using Proraso (red) and a Kent BK8. Does the job beautifully. It's really worth investing in a good brush, makes a lot of difference if you can get the consistence of the lather correct.
    Last edited by MerlinShepherd; 1st August 2014 at 20:08.

Master
    Hope it goes well. I switched to DE shaving after a thread here, as well.
    My whole kit consists of the brush, blades, Prosaro cream and Edwin Jagger razor. Have just ordered a long handled butterfly razor as well after your other thread!

No first aid or transfusion kit there so you must be confident. I eventually settled on a Merkur 34C, Feather blades, best badger brush, Cyril R Salter citrus soap, an alum pencil and a 'rub-in' for afterwards. Gillette or Nivea surprisingly.

There's something therapeutic and calming about shaving. It's a state of mind thing. If you're in a hurry, go electric or a Bic scrape.

Good luck.

It's all about the blade angle--get it right and you won't have any issues. Does take some practice though!

If you haven't already, take a look at this chap's videos. He dishes out some really good advice.

Finally, enjoy it. Applying shaving soap (or whatever you've got there) with a brush is a great experience. :)

Thanks all for the comments and advice.

I didn't have much time tonight, so settled for a half way house. Just decided to try and create a lather and get used to applying that, then used my old cartridge razor to actually shave.
    Lathering, I can see, is going to take some practice to get right and I suspect each soap/cream will require differing amounts of water and product to get the right consistency.

I used a free sample of Edwin Jagger cream that was sent to me with my order (actually received quite a few free samples of various products, so was chuffed with that).
    I created a trial lather, just to clean/use my brush for the first time, then discarded that and tbh it wasn't a good mix anyway.
    Second time around I put more cream on the brush and seemed to get a better/thicker lather - although most of it seemed to stay on the brush rather than in the mug?!
    Anyway, I had already had a shower, so face/beard should have been nicely hydrated, but I think it dried out a bit whilst faffing with the cream.
    So I wet it again with some warm water, then lathered up, swirling the brush into the face to help lift the bristles.

Then shaved with my old cartridge razor, rinsed in cold water and had a second lather/shave in the opposite direction. Shave was not bad, however I decided to try some of my other products as well.....

Firstly, I rinsed again in cold water, then wet the alum block and passed it over my wet face.

Seemed like a smoothish shave, but I wasn't ready for the stinging from the alum!
    It wasn't severe, but it took me by surprise as I didn't have any cuts at all and I didn't realise alum would do that.

Whilst the Alum was doing it's thing, I cleared up, washed brush and mug etc and then rinsed face again to take of the alum. I followed this with a splash of Prorasso After shave,
    which I have to say was nice and soothing and I really quite like the smell too. Finally, just to give it a try, I dabbed on some of the Prorasso Lotion - to moisturise. Not bad but I think I may have put a tad too much on.
    A little seems to go along way.

Overall, as I said at the beginning, only a half way house today but still a pleasurable experience. I can see how the whole routine can make a nice tranquil start to the day and I think I'm really going to enjoy this.
    Hopefully will have more time to actually use the 3D razor tomorrow. Just need to decide which blade to try first. I'm thinking the Wilkinson Sword....

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Just need to decide which blade to try first. I'm thinking the Wilkinson Sword....
    It's a decent enough 'intro' blade in my experience. Plus readily available so if I'm travelling can always find it in Boots. I like the bulk pack Israeli blades that you seem to get online everywhere, and Derby extra. I didn't get on with Feather when I tried them - but it was a while ago when I was quite new to it. Might have to give them a go again...

For lather I was surprised how little water you need at first - just keeping the brush and bowl in hot water while you're washing your face, then squeezing the brush and emptying the bowl leaves enough in (IME anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    I like the bulk pack Israeli blades that you seem to get online everywhere,
    I tend to prefer Palestinian blades but they're much harder to come by nowadays.

Sounds like you have made a good start!

I use the Proraso products, the white versions and find, after a great deal of experimentation, that they suit my skin the best.

I have found Feather blades to be excellent, being very sharp I don't seem to need as much pressure to get a close shave, but I've also found the comb, an open style for me as opposed to the closed type makes a lot of difference.

Recently I've discovered Rock Face Shave Butter, you apply it before shaving and can use it as a shave cream but it seems to work really well with the Proraso. One thing I'd recommend is making sure your face is well hydrated with a pre shave or heat to soften the bristles, I didn't think it would matter but it seems to be very effective.

And as to the Alum, I use it only on nicks, not all over but if you do, make sure you wash it off as it can dry the skin very quickly.

Oh and it stings like buggery even if you're not bleeding!

....don't forget a good quality, and I mean a good quality aftershave balm (moisturiser). I use the wife's Burt's Bees carrot day cream. Bloody brilliant and VERY manly.
    Last edited by MerlinShepherd; 2nd August 2014 at 22:49.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    It's all about the blade angle--get it right and you won't have any issues. Does take some practice though!

If you haven't already, take a look at this chap's videos. He dishes out some really good advice.

Finally, enjoy it. Applying shaving soap (or whatever you've got there) with a brush is a great experience. :)
    Crikey, Mantic is still making videos! I remember that guy from when I started DE/straight razor shaving back in 2005.

Journeyman
    I use a Edwin Jagger also, made just a few minutes away from my home.

I'm growing a beard at the minute so it's seen little use recently. However their badger brush has been a life saver when it comes to ditching the dreaded beard itch.

Great collection you have here.

Quick update, haven't been too well recently, so it wasn't until today that I managed my first DE shave with the ED 3D.
    I started with the Wilkinson blades and will stick with these for a couple of weeks till I have the technique sorted.
    I was slightly hesitant and took it slow, did a 2 pass shave and didn't cut myself thankfully.
    Used the Prorasso pre-shave which is excellent with a nice cooling effect. However had difficulty getting a good lather with my new Taylors soap.
    I think I need a lot more practice getting the lather right.

Finished with alum, rinse and then Prorasso Green. All in a smooth shave with no nicks so quite happy.
    It's going to take a lot of practice with technique on both lathering and shaving to get a lot closer though, but the overall experience was sooo much more satisfying and quite zen like?!

Journeyman
    These guys http://www.shaving-shack.com/ are good for DE razors and supplies.

This http://www.shaving-shack.com/feather...ess-steel.html is one of my prize possessions. It was worth every penny.

They sell a good range of blades. These Egyptian ones http://www.shaving-shack.com/asco-su...or-blades.html are good but I prefer the Israeli ones http://www.shaving-shack.com/10-isra...or-blades.html

These are worth a try too http://www.shaving-shack.com/shark-s...or-blades.html – also Egyptian.

Another quick update:

Loving DE shaving. Not managed to cut myself at all and get a quick easy shave for each pass now that I'm practiced.
    2 passes is usually enough, 3 if I'm in the mood.
    Rinse then Alum - which still stings a bit though but I quite like it?!
    Rinse again and Proraso Green (love this stuff)

Couldn't sort out a decent lather with soap, moved to creams a lot easier.
    Still use a pre shave oil or cream though which I think helps lubricate things nicely.

Finding the Gilette yellow blades really good and like that they are numbered so you know which side you've used.

Anyone thinking of going down this path......Just DO IT!

Finding the Gilette yellow blades really good and like that they are numbered so you know which side you've used.

Anyone thinking of going down this path......Just DO IT!
    The Gillette yellows are excellent ..... great blade. As regards soap I've started using the D.R. Harris Windsor... lathers really well with good lubrication properties, and the scent lasts ages.

Rod

Ah ha didn't realise "the way we used to shave" has a bit of a cult following now. If I wasn't a "stubble" man I'd try it again, I never cut myself until I tried a multiblade razor...

And the old blades used to be brilliant for stripping back the insulation from wire, nothing to beat them. I still keep a packet in the white plastic box to deal with splinters.

I shaved with a DE (Merkur Futur) for 6 or 7 years and then moved onto straights (selection of Dovos and some old English razors from eBay) and have now moved back to DE with a Feather ASD2.

The Futur was my first DE and I used Israeli blades which I bought by the 100 from a US seller via eBay. It is a great set up but I fancied trying straights. I found shaving with a straight much more relaxing but there is a lot more 'faff' involved including stropping and then eventually honing. I played about with honing on several stones but could never get the razors as sharp as I needed. I found a chap who would hone for me but with the arrival of children, I just didn't have the time to spend enjoying a peaceful shave. So my straights have been coated in oil and put away for the future when I will hopefully have more time to use them again.

I moved back to the Futur but read about the Feather ASD2 and bought one of those. I found the Feather (using Feather blades) to be quite mild after the Futur which I now understand is generally viewed as being a more aggressive DE. After some experimentation I settled on using the Futur on setting 3 and whilst not cutting myself badly, I would regularly get nicks but I did have a fantastically close shave. I don't get quite such a close shave with the Feather, although it is still very good, but I rarely spill any blood. I find the Feather a much more pleasing shaving experience. Both razors are beautifully made. I also have a couple of old Gillette Fat Boys that I keep meaning to use to see how they handle.

I use Trumpers Rose shave cream, Simpsons badger brush and a shaving scuttle http://www.georgetownpottery.com/sto...y_Code=Shaving

As has been said before, shaving with a DE is a fantastic experience and yes the start up costs are higher than the modern Gillettes but a box of 100 DE blades costs about £15 and they will last you for 2 years. Also the razors should last a lifetime. My Gillette Fatboys date from the late 1950s or early 60s.

So good luck to the OP. Hope you keep enjoying the experience.

^ Intersting post, thanks!
    I'm loving it, and have just ordered some feather blades to try those as well. I'm also considering trying an open comb razor as I do have quite a thick beard.
    Maybe a Muhle R41.
    Would love to try a fatboy one day, heard good things about them. Let us know how you get on with that.
    Cheers.

Been using Feathers in an EJ razor for years. They blunt faster than other blades but get close enough that I only shave every other day now. I buy them in bulk (about 3 years worth at a time!). Have tried various soaps, creams and lotions over the years and always come back to TOBS avocado shave cream and Proraso aftershave balm - best value for money products in my opinion.

I visited Taylor of Old Bond Street last week (again ) and managed to spend nearly £40 on cream and soap.

Recently been given a pack of Gillette Silver Blue blades to try, absolutely superb shave with them. I had laid in a big supply of Derby Extra's that will now lay dormant in the bathroom cabinet.

I've got a couple of beautiful handmade brushes, one finest and the other silvertip

Apprentice
    I hope you are all enjoying your DE razor shaving. I know I do.
    I am currently using an old Gillette Rocket HD that I find gives a very comfortable shave, with some Astra Platinum blades that I don't really like too much, I am trying to use them up and won't replace them.
    Blades I like using are the Wilkinson Swords and Gillette Greens.
    The brush I am using is an old Kent V7 which is from the 80s or 90s and of a comparable size to the current model Kent BK4 (which I also have). I am using Nivea cream which is cheap as chips and gives a nice shave. I have recently been splashing out on more expensive shave creams but decided to use up some old shave creams I had filling up my bathroom cabinet.
    I had always been a soap man (Kent soap and Truefitt and Hill soap) but for some years now have switched almost exclusively to creams. I still have a puck of Truefitt and Hill in mid use and an unused puck of the Kent in the cabinet.
    Everyone here has nice kit, I especially like the look of the brushes on show. I feel a Tubby 1 or Tubby 2 coming my way shortly.

Apprentice
    Thorien,
    You said you want to try an open comb razor. I think the consensus is that the Muhle R41 gives a very close shave so bear that in mind.
    I have several open combs, both an old and new Merkur which give a very forgiving shave such that i use them with heavier handles and sharp blades. I also have several old Gillette New razors and a plethora of aftermarket handles. The Gillette News can give a close shave.
    Enjoy the journey trying different razors and blades and creams. I am.

DE Shaving

I wish i'd shaved like this year's ago.

I currently use a Gillette Red Tip, Slim Adjustable or Rocket with Polsilvers or Rapira Swedish blades. Vito's or Monsavon soap/cream.

This has never let me down and I have consistently achieved very best results with few problems. Just taken my time and enjoyed the experience.

I tend to finish off with Coral Skin food and Mennen after shave.

I won't be going back to dry shaving or cartridge.

Regards

Ben

After trying many creams Mitchell's Woolfat works for me with a Feather AS and Feather Blades which do blunt quite quickly, but swap the blade over each time and get around 3-4 good shaves with each blade!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    After trying many creams Mitchell's Woolfat works for me with a Feather AS and Feather Blades which do blunt quite quickly, but swap the blade over each time and get around 3-4 good shaves with each blade!
    +1 for Mitchell's Woolfat Soap, with Feather blades - never found anything sharper - in a plain Merkur razor - a 34C I think. I change the blade when I start getting the odd nick, which usually means that I'm unconsciously pressing too hard. That's it; I don't make a religion out of it - it's just something you have to do to avoid looking like a penny stamp.

John

Great choice mate. You can'f go wrong with Edwin Jagger, and don't worry about cuts. ED is so well made that it is very hard to cut yourself. Just let the razor to do the job, do not apply any force' it's head has enough weight for BBS.
    I'm using straight razors for more than 25 years, but when in hurry, ED is the first choice.
    Enjoy.

Master
    Apologies for the thread resurrection but I could do with a few pointers from you experienced DE shavers...

I usually shave every weekday with Mach 3s, at the end of the day I've more a 3 o'clock shadow than a beard, I usually shave against the grain (I know, I know) and am generally happy with the results. I read all the posts in detail and went and bought my Jagger razor and used it with the Derby blade for the 1st time this morning. So I was scared about cutting but I got a pretty good result for the 1st time, no cuts, clean, but shaved with the grain - so rough on the upstroke (definitely not like in the 80s Gilette ad). So do you experienced DE shavers get a smooth(er) shave? I'm thinking maybe I got the angles wrong (though was clean shaven just not smooth) and of course I haven't watched the videos just yet...

Thanks

Ian

I use DE (Edwin Jagger razor and Platinum Blue blades). I think a Gillette Mach whatever will shave you closer than DE.

This is because the Gillette "lifts" the hair and cuts it below the surface.

The DE gives me a very comfortable, presentable shave (I usually do two passes one with one across or against the grain) without ingrowing hairs or irritation and the blades cost next to nothing.

If you squeeze out the brush after lathering up you get some nice slippery soap for the 2nd path.

In terms of smoothness and simplicity Gillette is a winner but in terms of overall comfort and cost I much prefer DE.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ism123 View Post
    Apologies for the thread resurrection but I could do with a few pointers from you experienced DE shavers...

I usually shave every weekday with Mach 3s, at the end of the day I've more a 3 o'clock shadow than a beard, I usually shave against the grain (I know, I know) and am generally happy with the results. I read all the posts in detail and went and bought my Jagger razor and used it with the Derby blade for the 1st time this morning. So I was scared about cutting but I got a pretty good result for the 1st time, no cuts, clean, but shaved with the grain - so rough on the upstroke (definitely not like in the 80s Gilette ad). So do you experienced DE shavers get a smooth(er) shave? I'm thinking maybe I got the angles wrong (though was clean shaven just not smooth) and of course I haven't watched the videos just yet...

Thanks

Ian
    Multiple passes. You re-lather and shave again. You can normally tell either by the sound when you shave or by simply running you fingers across your skin as the beard starts to grow out how the grain lies. The key is that it will be different in different areas. So I just do an initial downward pass all over. That normally takes the majority without much against the grain. Then a pass horizontal into the middle from either side. Then a careful upwards pass which will be mainly against the grain. You may need to alter the direction slightly for some areas but that is for you to find out what works best. Some people will do one pass, others two or even four. Whatever works best for you really.

Yep minimum of two passes for me, sometime 3 if i'm not in a hurry.
    However after 2 passes it's a very close and clean shave with the benefit of being so much more comfortable.

Recommend you watch as many videos on you tube as possible!
    Helps a lot when starting out.
    Good luck.

A very interesting and informative thread!

So the advantages of DE shaving basically amount to a closer shave?

In my early twenties I felt cursed that I barely shaved, but now in my forties I'm delighted I can't grow a full beard, and can just about get away with a 3 day shave cycle!!

That said, I hate how my standard (is it cartridge?) blades dull after about 5 shaves, cost more than a pub main course meal for a pack of 8 and don't keep me feeling smooth very long.

Would DE shaving resolve these complaints, or is the DE attraction in the technique and heritage (for want of a better word) of more traditional methods more than the end result?

I think there are too many variables - razor (mild v agressive), blades (ditto) to confidently say DE shaving gives a closer shave. Personally, at the moment it doesn't but I'm using a mild razor and medium aggressive blades.

I started using a DE to see if it would give a more comfortable result, with less irritation - cartridges gave me razor bumps whatever I tried. Now with a DE I don't get any skin problems.

As a bonus, once you've got your initial kit, it's much cheaper than expensive cartridges

As a bigger bonus, I've acquired a new hobby and started to explore, buy and use vintage razors. It felt slightly strange at first using a 90 year old razor, the original owner long gone.

EDIT :

Kit doesn't have to be expensive. I started out with a £5 Wilkinson Sword Classic DE including 5 blades, a £3.50 boar bristle Wilkinson brush and 50p Palmolive soap stick.

I still use all of the above - tried a few other soaps and concluded the Palmolive did the best job and stuck with that, though I will have another foray into different soaps.
    Last edited by oldandgrumpy; 26th November 2014 at 01:59.

Craftsman
    Interesting thread. I might treat myself to a DE kit for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    A very interesting and informative thread!

So the advantages of DE shaving basically amount to a closer shave?

In my early twenties I felt cursed that I barely shaved, but now in my forties I'm delighted I can't grow a full beard, and can just about get away with a 3 day shave cycle!!

That said, I hate how my standard (is it cartridge?) blades dull after about 5 shaves, cost more than a pub main course meal for a pack of 8 and don't keep me feeling smooth very long.

Would DE shaving resolve these complaints, or is the DE attraction in the technique and heritage (for want of a better word) of more traditional methods more than the end result?
    Blades are a lot cheaper. After years of trying various blades I've settled with Derby blades. I bought 100 blades for £6.99.

I use each blade 3-4 times before having to replace.

I've updated my initial thread to include what I bought initially and a quick one liner about whether I found the items good or not. Hope this helps others starting out.

I've updated my initial thread to include what I bought initially and a quick one liner about whether I found the items good or not. Hope this helps others starting out.
    Interesting to note your comments especially about the soap as I find the same - fantastic in soft water but not much use with hard water (I have a softener at home).

I find their herbal pre-shave gel good although not essential, and also find King of Shaves shaving gel works well either by itself or with some shaving cream rubbed into the face by hand especially with hard water where the lather isn't so good.

Master
    We live in quite a hard water area but I have no issue getting a good lather using TOBS Jermyn St cream.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    We live in quite a hard water area but I have no issue getting a good lather using TOBS Jermyn St cream.
    Yep as I said creams are better for a hard water area than soaps.

I was in the local drug store today and they had a VERY cheap (& plasticy) DE razor, by Wilkingson Sword.

About €13 later I left with said razor, some creme, some balm and possibly the nastiest shaving brush known to man (seriously, I think I could shave with just the brush)

I realise buy shite, buy twice, but equally I wanted to try it all out before commiting.

Usually I shave in the shower, with a cartridge razor as quickly as possible.

So it was actually a nice change to take my time, run a sink of hot water, mix up a lather etc, etc

first pass of the DE and I barely removed the creme, let alone any hair, then I got bolder and bolder until my face got balder and balder (see what I did there?)

I was dead chuffed I didn't cut myself, and also the shave seems quite reasonable.... A bit patchy, but the good bits are definately smoother than my cartridge shave. My cartridge shave routine is go with the grain, then on my cheeks go at 90 deg to the grain, and I always shave my neck/underside of my cheeks against the grain and I reapted this MO with the DE

I also tried to trim my goatee and it did not like that one bit!! It felt as if it was just pulling the hair out rather than cutting it!

Overall I liked it, and if I keep at it, I'm sure I'll upgrade my kit accordingly, starting with the rough as badgers arse non-badger brush!

cheers!

Well done, the first shave is the trickiest. I started with the same razor and I found it did a very good job and still use it.

Master
    It's surprising how quickly your collection grows. As a recent convert to DE shaving myself I know how easy it is to start trying all the new products, like a child in a sweet shop.

I think most people who shave with a DE, enjoy the experience. Shaving with a cartridge razor has less of a sense of occassion and a lot more expense. I shave 2 or 3 times a week but change the blade at the start of each week regardless of how many shaves I've had. This is because the blades are so cheap and if I don't change them on a set day, I'll forget how many shaves I've had and end up with a blunt blade a few cuts. I have found that a typical DE blade is good for 5 or 6 shaves so it should be just about possible to get a full weeks shaving out of one. YMMV.

When you first start with a DE, it takes a bit of time to get used to the correct angle and pressure to apply but after a few shaves, you soon get the hang of it.

I get a much closer shave with a DE compared with a Gillette Mach 3. It took me a while, maybe 6 months to learn the direction of the grain of my beard. Its downward to my jawline, chin to ears direction on my jawline, straight upwards on my neck on one side and diagonally upwards on the other. Sounds weird but I gather these variations are common and once you work this out you can do a proper with the grain pass, an across the grain pass then an against the grain pass. This gives me a result smooth as a babies bum and OK for 2 days.

Master
    A couple of weeks in to this DE shaving lark and I've reached a few personal conclusions

Shaving against the grain works for me...
    But DE shaving daily is too much for my skin (ahhhh)
    I'm an experienced wet shaver (done nothing else) but there is a DE learning curve
    DE is a bit ritualistic - prep, time, materials, multiple passes
    DE is closer but takes more time and care than my usual method
    If you miss a bit with DE you need to re-lather (with cartridges you can get away without cos of the lubricating strip)
    I see shaving as a chore ie. a daily necessity, and not something to be enjoyed....

So I like it when I have the time, otherwise I stick with my cartridges when I don't

Ian

Thanks to those offering the words of encouragement!

I've enjoyed the DE shaves I've had so far...

This morning I thought I'd shave off my goatee and go completely clean shaven

OMG shaving part of your face that hasn't seen a razor for 6.5yrs hurts!!!!

I'd forgotten how much trickier it is the shave the chin!!

I've also got a far nicer DE razor and badger brush coming for Christmas, thanks to mrs. Adzman!

I guess I'm a convert to DE shaving

Lol. Must feel weird having a clean jaw and no beard after so many years. I'm glad you're enjoying DE Shaving as I am also. I would encourage more people to try it too. I really enjoy shaving now and it's actually quite quick as well now that I'm used to it. Still haven't tried an open comb razor yet as I'm finding the EJ meets my needs as long as I change blades more regularly. I normally get 4 good shaves per blade before I swap for a new one. Anyway, keep at it and let us know how you get on with the new kit. Also what kit are you getting?

Lol. Must feel weird having a clean jaw and no beard after so many years. I'm glad you're enjoying DE Shaving as I am also. I would encourage more people to try it too. I really enjoy shaving now and it's actually quite quick as well now that I'm used to it. Still haven't tried an open comb razor yet as I'm finding the EJ meets my needs as long as I change blades more regularly. I normally get 4 good shaves per blade before I swap for a new one. Anyway, keep at it and let us know how you get on with the new kit. Also what kit are you getting?
    yes it certainly does feel weird! Thank goodness for balm, that's all I can say!

Not sure of the brand of razor I'm getting, and I can't find it on their site, but we found a kiosk store of the people linked below and it came from there!

http://barbarija.com/pt/produtos/barba

They had open comb options on display but they truly looked scary!!