closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebola

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Ebola

Was Ebola being discussed on here recently? I can't find the thread, though. Must be my imagination.

Anyway, thought this was interesting. All those reassurances.... hmm.

Video: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/new...eccessary.html

Article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dly-virus.html

(Yes, yes, I know it's the Daily Mail...)
    Last edited by markrlondon; 30th July 2014 at 20:33.

Easy enough really, anyone travelling back from Sierra Leone should be placed in quarantine until such times it can be established they are clear.

Job done

Master
    I read a great book (non fiction) last year calle The Hot Zone - buy it, read it & be terrified!

Time to get the hazmat suit!!

It's scary stuff alright. Luckily both Ireland and the UK are islands. If the correct screening/quarantine measures are put in place at airports we should be alright. A no-nonsense approach is needed definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I read a great book (non fiction) last year calle The Hot Zone - buy it, read it & be terrified!
    Yes, I read that too. Terrifying indeed.
    If Ebola were more contagious it could be the biggest thread to us all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    Even bigger than Rolex vs. Seiko!

Blog Entries
    I understand that Ebola vaccines have been available (three of them) for a few years. At least one of them (from Glaxo-Wellcome) is 100% protective on primates.

None of them got into Phase 1 yet (i.e. safety tests on humans) because of the possible effects, and because no Drug Company would get in a hundreds million Pounds program of testing for what was, until recently, not an international priority.

With an outbreak in Africa, priorities have changed and vaccines may be tested in small clinical trials on site. Pretty sure that in less than 12 months at least one of the vaccines will be protective to humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    Yes, I read that too. Terrifying indeed.
    Just started to read this over the weekend. Terrifying indeed.

Government incompetence will prove the biggest killer.

Craftsman
    Wow, what a fantastic read!!. I would'nt want to work in a level 4 area for all the rolex's in China. Thanks for the heads up on the book.

I'm reading this now, gripping but terrifying!

Looking at the photo above, those doctors should be perfectly safe unless they touch the patient or get the patients blood/fluids on them. Should being the operative word...

Master
    Yeah, yeah. Nothing like a good conspiracy theory/contagion to liven up a dull bank holiday.

Staff wearing those daft space suits are less mobile and less able to provide medical and nursing care. The only reason to wear them is to placate the ignorant and gullible that "special measures" are being taken: the NHS staff there are doing exactly what they should do for a contact-spread virus. Hopefully those in the USA won't fall over their suits and break something.

Have you ever tried wearing one of those bubble suits?

I recommend leaving speculation to the experts, folks, and returning to the Omega vs Rolex thread.

Alternatively, if you want some real Ebola information, you could do a lot worse than read this, which is correct:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...f-9688425.html

Thomas Reid
    It has the image of the Ebola-virus particle. I've always used it as an example of an image where we might question the sense in which the image "looks like" the thing it represents. After all, it is 112 000 x magnification.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS The book as been around for some time (1994).
    RLF

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Easy enough really, anyone travelling back from Sierra Leone should be placed in quarantine until such times it can be established they are clear.

Job done
    Job not done, really: you would need to include Guinea and Sierra Leone. Diagnosis is difficult too.

I think this has the potential to become a big problem.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Its not that communicable to be fair.

If it mutates and gose airborne then we've pretty much had it but the chances of that are very unlikley.

Used to read Tom Clancy books years ago and it is quite scary how often the subjects of his books have become a reality. From crashing planes into buildings to Ebola (and what it could do if weaponised)... even some of the Soviet Union/Ukraine/Russia bits have been in there.

Scary stuff, but as said above it is not a hardy virus and mainly limited to spread by fluid contact.

I won't panic until I see Dustin Hoffman on TV.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post

Job done
    Not that simple. How do you cope with people coming back via other countries, with less control, and possibly no exit stamps in passports.

Has anyone played Plague Inc.? I'll start to worry if the disease spreads to Madagascar.

Incubation period is two days to three weeks so perhaps time to start 'rabies like' quarantine from those in infected areas?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Incubation period is two days to three weeks so perhaps time to start 'rabies like' quarantine from those in infected areas?
    I bet this will only come in after the first confirmed case arrives here. Too late by then? We'll see.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Has anyone played Plague Inc.? I'll start to worry if the disease spreads to Madagascar.
    Yes....Iceland would be my trigger!

Master
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28702356

That’s quite a development.

I had a debate on a prepping forum a while ago about the likely initial cause, the trigger, of social collapse.
    Some kind of pandemic was my bet - rather than a trigger of an asteroid, solar flares, etc. Once a contagion reaches critical mass there are too many sick or dead (or carers and the scared staying home) for health care, transport infrastructure, power and services, industry, government, law and order, etc to work effectively resulting in chaos.
    I reckon it only takes about a third of a population, a workforce, to be impacted as above and we are stuffed.
    Prepare or die, you have been warned - in fact, don't prepare. Your lack of preparation greatly increase my chance of survival.
    Gray

Ebola is not very easy to transmit so no need to panic. A new super - flu is far more of a realistic disaster situation

I watched a drama documentary recently called World War Z

This ebola business is how things like this start

I hope they know what they're doing. It doesn't bear thinking about if Ebola gets out of containment in the UK.

'Flu kills many more people every year and is much more difficult to contain. You can catch flu sitting inhaling the same air on a plane but Ebola needs contact with body fluids.

Master
    For anyone still interested, there are a couple of excellent and authoritative articles from the New England Journal:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1409903
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1409858

Master
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29115298

Whenever you hear the word "exponential" in terms of disease spread then its a worry especially when its as lethal as Ebola.

Two scenarios here its burns out probably taking 10s of thousands of people ( nd lots of angels of mercy crap on the TV from the UN and US) or it spreads and needs mopping up all over the globe in isolated outbreaks for the next 20 years.

Bet there will be a report that it will take 10 years to produce 10000 doses of anti-ebola virals with a 50% success rate in the next 48 hours as a headline.

Blog Entries
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29231400
    Obama says Ebola outbreak a 'global security threat'

President Barack Obama has called the West Africa Ebola outbreak "a threat to global security" as he announced a larger US role in fighting the virus.

"The world is looking to the United States," Mr Obama said, but added the outbreak required a "global response".

The measures announced included ordering 3,000 US troops to the region and building new healthcare facilities.

Ebola has killed 2,461 people this year, about half of those infected, the World Health Organization said.

[...]
    Among the measures announced by Mr Obama on Tuesday:

Building 17 healthcare facilities, each with 100 beds and isolation spaces, in Liberia
    Training as many as 500 health care workers a week
    Developing an air bridge to get supplies into affected countries faster
    Provide home health care kits to hundreds of thousands of households, including 50,000 that the US Agency for International Development (USAID) will deliver to Liberia this week
    [...]

Blog Entries
    Ebola outbreak: UK sending 750 troops to Sierra Leone
    Ebola outbreak: UK sending 750 troops to Sierra Leone

The UK is sending 750 military personnel to Sierra Leone to help deal with the deadly Ebola outbreak, Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond has confirmed.

The UK will also send medical ship the RFA Argus and three helicopters. The personnel will be deployed next week.

It comes as Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said it was "now entirely possible that someone with Ebola will come to the UK either by one route or another".

[...]

It comes as:

The first patient diagnosed with Ebola in the US, Thomas Eric Duncan, has died, Texas hospital officials say
    Travellers from Ebola-affected countries will face increased security scrutiny at five major US airports
    A Spanish nurse - the first person to contract the virus outside West Africa - says she remembers touching her face after treating a dying priest
    Jeremy Hunt says the UK is taking the threat "incredibly seriously" and "we need to be prepared"
    Downing Street says plans for protecting the UK were discussed at a Cobra meeting, although the risk remains "low"
    Public Health England repeats there are no plans to introduce screening for those arriving in the UK
    First Minister Alex Salmond says he is "confident" Scotland's NHS is ready should there be a case there
    A headteacher blames "misguided hysteria" for the cancellation of a visit to Stockport by a nine-year-old boy from Sierra Leone

Mr Hammond, speaking in Washington with US Secretary of State John Kerry, said military and civilian teams were already in Sierra Leone, working on constructing five new Ebola treatment facilities with 700 beds.

He said that at a meeting of the government's Cobra emergency committee in London - which he joined via video link - the decision was made to deploy the RFA Argus to Freetown, Sierra Leone's capital, along with the three Merlin helicopters.

[...]

Blog Entries
    With all talk of us getting wiped out as a race I think I will get that 50th tv now!maybe on 0% if we ain't going to be here for me to pay it!!!!!

So almost any direct contact with infected material and people is enough for it to spread and people think there's nothing to worry about? Bat poop mentalists. I sense a pending natural reduction in the human population of the earth
    Gray

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    So almost any direct contact with infected material and people is enough for it to spread and people think there's nothing to worry about? Bat poop mentalists. I sense a pending natural reduction in the human population of the earth
    Well, even the black plague was only a glitch which mostly served to make the surviving part more affluent so don´t worry too much about the latter.

As to the former I simly do not know.
    What I see is mass hysteria and shock politics. Since this all comes to us through the mass media and the those are tightly controlled, I am more apprehensive about the hidden agendas then about Ebola.
    Africa is in effect being isolated rapidly. Since economically it is largely owned by China, China will no doubt appear as a political player in this field too.

750 person drug trial is my guess.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    750 person drug trial is my guess.
    They are going there to practice the application of mass quarantine, curfews and Martial Law. Their training prior to going will consist of viewings of 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later.

More seriously (hopefully), will they be wearing NBC protective clothing?

Blog Entries
    Americans will save us!They will send army to every "ebola" country and save people :D
    They will provide medical services to the people outside US,and US citizens that have no medical insurance...well...screw them...

Quote Originally Posted by igorRIJEKA View Post
    Americans will save us!They will send army to every "ebola" country and save people :D
    They will provide medical services to the people outside US,and US citizens that have no medical insurance...well...screw them...
    Thanks this made me chuckle.

Hey remember Operation Iraqi Freedom, the US only managed to kill something like 50,000 -200,000 Iraqi Civilians.
    Can you imagine the carnage if they declare war on ebola.

Americans now have the affordable care act aka obamacare to take care of them (stock prices of the major participating insurance companies have rocketed) as have premiums....wonder what the Ebola coverage is like?

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Thanks this made me chuckle.

Hey remember Operation Iraqi Freedom, the US only managed to kill something like 50,000 -200,000 Iraqi Civilians.
    Can you imagine the carnage if they declare war on ebola.

Americans now have the affordable care act aka obamacare to take care of them (stock prices of the major participating insurance companies have rocketed) as have premiums....wonder what the Ebola coverage is like?
    What is this nonsense? Remind me exactly what have Spain contributed to the global efforts tackling the disease, an effective drug or a vaccine, or perhaps an effective healthcare system?

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    What is this nonsense? Remind me exactly what have Spain contributed to the global efforts tackling the disease, an effective drug or a vaccine, or perhaps an effective healthcare system?
    I never said Spain was in any way superior in its efforts.
    Tough crowd;)
    Last edited by Passenger; 10th October 2014 at 18:03.

Master
    My daughters school fair was cancelled today due to fears of a tombola outbreak.

I'll get my coat...........

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Tough crowd;)
    Never mind, keyword ´Bushism´

Meanwhile the manipulated crazyness knows no bounds so remote heat scans are probably a measure soon to be made mandatory on airports.

Tough crowd;)
    You didn't, my post was to indicate what we can expect from your country to contribute to war on Ebola, as for war on terror, it stands firmly with the rest of the Coalition.. So I don't think the big boy did it and run away ;)

Spanish troops were deployed in Iraq in August 2003 as part of the US-led coalition forces that former Prime Minister José Maria Aznar agreed with US President George Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair. Spain also was given the command of troops from Honduras, El Salvador, Dominican Republic and Nicaragua.
    A total of 1,300 troops were deployed in Najaf, south of Baghdad, one of the holiest cities in Iraq and a pilgrimage centre for the world’s Shi’ite faithful. Some idea of the mind-set drummed into the troops was indicated by the use of a new arm badge incorporating the Cross of St. James of Compostela—a symbol of the liquidation of the Muslims who were driven out of Spain after centuries of fighting in 1492. This was also the start of the period of colonialist expansion by Spain’s Catholic monarchy.
    Even the centre-right newspaper El Mundo was forced to remark, “To put the Cross of St. James of Compostela on the uniforms of Spanish soldiers demonstrates an absolute ignorance of the psychology of the society in which they will have to carry out their mission”. And it added, “It would be difficult to come up with any symbol more offensive to the Shiite population than this cross”.
    http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2013.../spai-m28.html

Master
    Just one minor clarification from the below - pee is not a problem. You cannot catch Ebola from pee.

- - - Updated - - -

......which must have Bear Grylls sighing with relief!

So in the US the 2nd Dallas health care worker to catch ebola, just happened to take a flight two days before her fever kicked in. The CDC have requested all 132 passengers on that flight contact them for interview.

Keep Calm and Carry On.;)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    3000 US soldiers to pass through the US base in Andalucia underway to Sierra Leone and Liberia.

Not medical personel ofcourse noooooo....

And let's be honest, you need the rent.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    And let's be honest, you need the rent.
    and their business

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post

Made I laaf.

(credit: Private Eye, naturally...)
    PMSL most excellent, thanks for sharing