closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: eBay vinyl

Grand Master

eBay vinyl

I've starting buying a few lp's again - long story - but I'm shocked at how bad the condition of some of the things I've bought on eBay are, sellers with 100% feedback and described as vg or ex look like they've been skidded in gravel. Of 10 bought only 5 are even playable :-/
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Ive not bought any l.P.s for ........years!

I did however, dig out my old Sony Stereo and some L.P.s from the shed. I can only "assume" the sleers did the same as me! (ie. put them in a shed/garage/cellar etc for years?

Saying that, its no excuse, for selling them as not described. I wanted to hear music on vinyl again..........way better to my nostalgic ears! I never did like cassettes........useful for the car, and for making "mixes"......but crap quality! I like the "crackling sound"! at the beginning of records too!

Sign of the time I guess........but a few years ago, my daughter (who is now 18) saw me "pottering about" in the shed, (I was moving the albums!) I showed her one..she thought it was ? "a big C.D. dad!!!!!".

If I am guilty of any OCD behaviour then it was around my vinyl.I used to tape every album so the LP or single was hardly played.I still have some in the collection that are over 20 years old and are like new. As for your experience on ebay I am not surprised at all.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    If I am guilty of any OCD behaviour then it was around my vinyl.I used to tape every album so the LP or single was hardly played.I still have some in the collection that are over 20 years old and are like new. As for your experience on ebay I am not surprised at all.
    I used to buy a lot on there years ago, and things pretty much followed the rrpg grading system. I wouldn't even dare car boot some of the useless lumps of plastic i've received.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Hi,

I think the current 'popularity' of vinyl is the cause of much of this. I've had a TT in pretty much constant use and did so in the CD era too ( I have far too many cds too! )

However, it seems that many if not most people migrated to cd pretty much 100% and if they didn't give it away, or skip it, they consigned their vinyl to the loft/garage or some other equally unsuitable storage.

The recent popularity of vinyl has seen some of these less than pristine specimens and collections find their way onto ebay where they are selling for pretty good money.

Up until a few years ago I was picking up some real bargains/lots as almost no-one wanted vinyl, but they've pretty much dried up now it has become sought after again.

I'm just sitting on my hands and buying nothing unless it's cheap and/or local. Slim pickings at the moment though. Ever hopeful though!

jeff

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Hi,

I think the current 'popularity' of vinyl is the cause of much of this. I've had a TT in pretty much constant use and did so in the CD era too ( I have far too many cds too! )

However, it seems that many if not most people migrated to cd pretty much 100% and if they didn't give it away, or skip it, they consigned their vinyl to the loft/garage or some other equally unsuitable storage.

The recent popularity of vinyl has seen some of these less than pristine specimens and collections find their way onto ebay where they are selling for pretty good money.

Up until a few years ago I was picking up some real bargains/lots as almost no-one wanted vinyl, but they've pretty much dried up now it has become sought after again.

I'm just sitting on my hands and buying nothing unless it's cheap and/or local. Slim pickings at the moment though. Ever hopeful though!

jeff

Ha! I am on the other side of the fence. I started clearing out some vinyl about 5 years ago. Got rid of some real nice collectors items for cheapish amounts of money. Now vinyl is 'cool' again the prices have skyrocketed. Story of my life though. I sough the advice of an IFA and made a load of investments months before the global recession took hold.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    I've starting buying a few lp's again - long story - but I'm shocked at how bad the condition of some of the things I've bought on eBay are, sellers with 100% feedback and described as vg or ex look like they've been skidded in gravel. Of 10 bought only 5 are even playable :-/
    I found the same when I was complimenting my CD/digital collection with vinyl copies. I ended up buying multiple copies of the same LPs in order to get one that was in decent condition--despite descriptions claiming the records were click- and scratch-free. But it's worth it to get the music on vinyl at last/again!

Master
    I have been listening to quite a bit of vinyl lately on new state of the art turntable systems that friends have. As a CD user for many years (I sold all my vinyl a while back), I find it difficult to come to terms with 'any' of the clicks and pops that plague the LP. My friends say that they have learned to filter it out which I understand, but when you haven't had to contend with it for years, it can be a bit of a hurdle. Sound wise it is pretty good though for sure.
    Last edited by pluseditor; 22nd July 2014 at 18:28. Reason: Dodgy spelling.

Craftsman
    I suspect your local auction house would be a better bet than EBay.

Most auction houses are just looking to clear them, whilst anything on EBay is being sold by someone aiming to maximise profit.

I wouldn`t think that the quality at auctions is much better than on Ebay but I`ve seen big collections go very cheaply!

I could never go back to vinyl. Quality may be better (though I'm not convinced) but I'd put up with lower quality w/o all the rumble, hiss, clicks, pops and worse.

Grand Master
    Trying to buy vinyl in good condition won`t be easy. Back in the days when vinyl was king there were plenty of poor quality pressings around. It would be nice to think that sellers would be trustworthy and value their reputation, but sadly that's not the case.

Good luck Jon....I think you'll need it!

Paul

Ive been picking up some vinyl on ebay recently too, stuff I couldnt find 'back in the day' its great finding 'that track' that you only heard in a club or on a mix tape and finely slotting it in the box.... Ive been lucky as I havent had a bad one yet...
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I could never go back to vinyl. Quality may be better (though I'm not convinced) but I'd put up with lower quality w/o all the rumble, hiss, clicks, pops and worse.
    Rumble shouldn't be an issue if you have a decent turntable/arm/cartridge combo. If I hear hiss on my set up, it's normally from the master tapes that the music was recorded on. Pops and clicks and such like can be greatly improved by using a record cleaning machine on the vinyl when it needs it.

Then of course, it could just be that you have a totally shagged record. I started collecting records when I was about 15 - some 45 years ago, when we had a family Dansette with a dodgy pickup arm and an even dodgier cartridge. Many of my records from that era are pretty damaged.

Master
    Any half decent set up and rumble etc. shouldn't be that big an issue

I am fortunate that vinyl has always been my primary source so very rarely do I buy second hand, as I always bought the vinyl edition. Have around 3000 lp's and only about 200 cd's. The cost of new releases is getting silly however, but I still buy them.

If you are going to get into buying second hand, and you don't want to also cause premature wear to your needle you should invest in a record cleaning kit,
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Conrad-Disco...0266332&sr=8-1

This is the one I use, I generally clean a new LP when I get it to remove any release agent etc.

Ive sold off most of my vinyl and I was surprised how many buyers said how good condition they were in when they werent anything exceptional but compared with what was on sale on Ebay they were very pleased

I like the softer, warmer sound of vinyl but I tailored my hifi to reproduce a similar sound using Dab radio or HQ mp3s through a DAC to a 90's Denon Amp QED silver anniversary speaker cable and 90's Mission Leading Edge speakers. Its a lovely natural, warm yet detailed sound.