closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko - how much?

Master

Grand Seiko - how much?

What sort of price would I be looking at as entry point for a used 'modern' Grand Seiko?

Quartz is fine.

Thanks chaps.

Master
    Depends on whether you're buying within the EU (VAT accounted for) or importing from further afield.
    If the former, then prices tend to be higher, even accounting for the VAT, than they retail in Japan, with their 8% VAT rate included.
    If the latter, then you can expect to pay a good bit less.

With so many models available (not all still produced) there's no exact price, but if we take the new SBGV005/7 models, they can be had for around the £1350 mark, plus other costs of acquiring and postage, before sticking 20% on when it lands, and Parcelforce's £15 for admin.
    Older models can be had for around £800 plus the above, although there's been the odd few which were already imported, so no costs above postage from whichever EU country the seller was in.

Bear in mind that apart from the models mentioned, the majority of GS quartzes tend to be 36-38mm. If you want 40mm or above, then you've only those two, and most of the Spring Drive ones to consider. The autos, inc the hi-beats, are 38-39mm, typically.

If you're planning on self-importing, and quartz is the primary option due to financial constraints, then don't turn a blind eye to the Citizen Chronomaster range or The Citizen range, but again, they're typical Japanese size – 37mm, iirc – but have a 10 yr warranty.
    Last edited by PJ S; 19th July 2014 at 14:02.

Craftsman
    Saw a nice display of these in Deacons in Swindon, lots of money though.

Banned
    Rumor has it that GS resale value is poor, so there must be lots of good deals around.

Craftsman
    It will depend a lot on condition. Here's a couple of examples of current models on various sales boards:

http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php...o=680256&rid=0

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f30/fs-...l-1049810.html

Master
    I guess the resale values are poor because the number of people who appreciate the quality is a lot less than those in the Rolex etc group. I'm happy to like both

Cheers
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    It will depend a lot on condition. Here's a couple of examples of current models on various sales boards:

http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php...o=680256&rid=0

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f30/fs-...l-1049810.html
    I think these quartz models will depreciate more than the GS automatics and Spring Drives.
    I don't believe the high end GS's depreciate more than many Swiss brands.

Craftsman
    There's a bit of demand for them, possibly because they are the cheapest way to experience a GS. I was looking for one a couple of years ago so took note of the new v used prices.

They (basic SBGX061 etc) list in Japan at around $2200 USD ex local tax.
    The well known JDM sellers will knock about 15% off that for a new one. So new is about $1870.
    You need to add any local import taxes/customs fees.
    Outside Japan excellent used ones will sell for about $1400-$1600.

I'm not sure how that compares to other models or brands.
    I ended up buying from Japan auction because there was more choice and and it's not uncommon to find one for a few hundred dollars less than the above prices (new & used). Also, being in Australia I was always going to have to pay import fees in any case. Not many come up for sale locally.
    Last edited by GlennO; 21st July 2014 at 01:40.