closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Longshot - Cycling Holiday

Master

Longshot - Cycling Holiday

Hi all,

I have found myself with more annual leave than my missus, so I fancy taking a week to do a road cycling holiday.

The problem is twofold;

1) I am billy no mates, and have no friends to go with!

2) I have never done a cycling holiday before

So, the longshot part, does anyone have the same inkling to go cycling in Spain / France / Italy for a week, and wants a like minded roadie to do it with?

Any offers or suggestions of what I can go and do on my own are most welcome!

I'd love to do some TdF climbs, but am equally happy to go to Tenerife for a week. Either way, it needs to be very hilly / mountainous.

Hope this doesnt sound too sad!

Banned
    Why not do a 7 day solo john o groats to lands end?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Why not do a 7 day solo john o groats to lands end?
    Because I want the sunshine!

I did consider a "tower to tower" (Blackpool to Paris) but I'd like something more sunny and hot

Blog Entries
    I've never done the trip, but the pelgrimage route to Santiago de Compostala can be done on a bike as well. You do not need to travel the whole route or go on a pelgrimage, off course. Point is, that you can find like-mindede people going the same way. And you can stay in hostels and 'gites'

Google 'Santiago de Compostela on a bike'.

Menno

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Because I want the sunshine!

I did consider a "tower to tower" (Blackpool to Paris) but I'd like something more sunny and hot
    I did france (l2p) this time last year. It was pretty hot and sunny

Have you considered Club La Santa in Lanzarote (or something else like that)? One of my girlfriends, who has loads of holidays, always goes there, sometimes on her own. Meet up with other individuals or groups for organised rides.

Craftsman
    As mentioned earlier Camino to Santiago decompostela is fantastic week trip easily arranged and cheap due to the hostel accommodation system

Of to do it by myself on Saturday 500KMS with some serious mountains going to test this fat lad…

You're looking for a domestique?

Plenty of climbing to be done near this base http://www.kingofthemountains.co.uk/
    F.T.F.A.

Have a look at these guys

https://www.explore.co.uk

I went on a weeks cycling holiday with them a couple of years ago, albeit a gentle flat jobbie in the Cappadocia region of Turkey, but they do do some more challenging trips.

I went with 2 mates, but there were a few other singletons on the trip as well as couples and our group. Was a good trip.

They give you a hire bike, but you have the option of taking your own.

Brighty

OP, I like to ride in Andalucian mountains, but not right now, too hot. If I were you then I would take a cheap flight to BCN, head up to Girona onto the foothills of the Pyrenees and back through the national park, a Catalonian loop. You will meet many cyclists to chat to, it's a busy touring place and also a pro-training area = as many hills as you like.

Cheap rooms everywhere.

I'm doing the Raid Pyrenean with these guys in September... Atlantic to the Med across the Pyrenees, 17 or so recognised Cols, 700km riding to be completed in 100 hours elapsed time.

There are a load of companies that do similar things though - most run 'public' tours you can sign up to rather than having to find enough mates to fill it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I've got 12 day's more holiday remaining than the wife somehow this year and was wondering what to do with it... now you've got me thinking.

Mallorca is VERY bike friendly... lots of flat and some serious mountains if you're that way inclined.
    Most major roads have separate bike lanes and you won't get ANY w##ker signs from car drivers for riding two-abreast.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    I've got 12 day's more holiday remaining than the wife somehow this year and was wondering what to do with it... now you've got me thinking.

Mallorca is VERY bike friendly... lots of flat and some serious mountains if you're that way inclined.
    Most major roads have separate bike lanes and you won't get ANY w##ker signs from car drivers for riding two-abreast.
    Well if you fancy a week of cycling, espresso & sun then let me know!