closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss Required

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Ill just cut out the middle man and throw it straight down the toilet
    Would look exactly the same in the pan either way.

Banned
    Boring pair of puritans.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Boring pair of puritans.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    OP - I am your height and build and I went from 13st to 11.5st over a 6 month period purely through calorie counting. There are a number of free online resources that can give you a very good idea of what cals certain foods contain. It's an interesting exercise cos you get to appreciate where most of your calories are coming from and you can change your lifestyle accordingly. White bread is an absolute killer! Drink lots of water too.

I'd keep a daily log (on a spreadsheet) and aim to be under 2000 cals per day (I'm a drummer so am very active most of the day so I didn't need to go any lower).

For those who are questionning the sanity of someone at 13st wanting to loose weight, the reality is that the extra pounds are mostly on the gut and in the face. I look much much better at 12st than at 13st so it's really worth the effort.
    Thanks - this is me and why I want to shed the 'excess'. I started keeping a record yesterday actually and found that I'd had 1000 calories between 6am and midnight and the only carb I'd had was one slice of toast. That didn't surprise me as I was trying not to eat much. What did surprise me was that I wasn't hungry at any point through the day or evening.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Thanks - this is me and why I want to shed the 'excess'. I started keeping a record yesterday actually and found that I'd had 1000 calories between 6am and midnight and the only carb I'd had was one slice of toast. That didn't surprise me as I was trying not to eat much. What did surprise me was that I wasn't hungry at any point through the day or evening.
    if that is typical for you then expect the body to retain fat as much as possible!

if that is typical for you then expect the body to retain fat as much as possible!
    It would be typical for everyone when they start losing weight. The first few weeks the body tries to hold onto the fat as it puts itself in starvation mode.

But anyone can condition their body not to do so after that initial period.

That is the ketogenesis I mentioned earlier. When your carb intake is right down to the equivalent of a slice of bread of fist-size of rice every day with the rest of the carb intake coming naturally in vegetables etc., after a couple of weeks, you will convert to burning fat as a first source rather than sugars for fuel.

People's body types and chemistries may differ but if it's stuck with, it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    It would be typical for everyone when they start losing weight. The first few weeks the body tries to hold onto the fat as it puts itself in starvation mode.

That is the ketogenesis I mentioned earlier. When your carb intake is right down to the equivalent of a slice of bread of fist-size of rice every day with the rest of the carb intake coming naturally in vegetables etc., after a couple of weeks, you will convert to burning fat as a first source rather than sugars for fuel.

People's body types and chemistries may differ but if it's stuck with, it will happen.
    PM incoming

Banned

You started out this thread with a pretty good post but, I am sorry to say, your last couple posts on this subject are not very good advice (and that is putting it kindly.)

Master
    Scarto is spot on, the trick is to be very strict with carbs right from the start. Fat is your friend , ditch the margarine and muesli

Cheers
    Alan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketer View Post
    Scarto is spot on, the trick is to be very strict with carbs right from the start. Fat is your friend , ditch the margarine and muesli

Cheers
    Alan
    Which bit is spot on? The bit that keto can magically overcome a stupid 1,500 daily calorie deficit?

Neither carbs nor fats are friends or enemies - they are tools to be adjusted according to what you want to achieve.

Grand Master
    Enough chat theres only one way to resolve, get your shirt off and lets see whos advise actually works in reality!
    RIAC

The way I lost weight was with my partners help. At the beginning of this year I cut out all the junk and snacks and I (we) now eat healthily. My partner did it first when she hit 50 and weighed in at 13st 5lb. In 18 months she went down to 8st 4lb, and has stayed there for the last couple of years. She doesn't consult any complicated diet plans, just dishes up sensible sized portions of healthy food, pasta, salad, white meats that kind of thing. Couple that with plenty of fruit and the weight just fell off me. I'm fortunate in that my excess weight never really showed (heavy bones maybe?), but I did feel lethargic after a meal and quite often had heartburn/indigestion. I started this year at 17st and I'm down to 13st 13lb as of this morning, I feel much more alert and energetic and I haven't had an indigestion tablet all year. I weigh the same now as I did 30 years ago! The daft thing is I'm never really hungry these days, I think your body craves what it expects so once it's used to smaller portions of healthy food if I do ever feel peckish I'd reach for some fruit where as I used to reach for a packet of crisps. I have done no extra exercise whatsoever, but I do have quite an active job. The weight is still going down, I'm not sure where it will level out but another 14lb gone by the end of the year would perfect in terms of BMI, however I'm told I'd look far too thin at 13st!

I'm no expert but 1000 cals over 24hrs seems too little to me. When I went thru my weight loss I was eating between 1800 and 2000 per day. I did ask a nutritionist for advice and she said that you should ideally graze throughout the day - eating little and often. If you don't eat enough you'll put your body into starvation mode and it will retain everything it can as it thinks you are going to be without food for long periods of time.

She also said to switch from marg to butter as the cals are the same but marg is completely unatural and only a few chemical compounds away from plastic!

I never bothered about 'carbs' but thinking about it she did recommend having alternatives such as salads for lunch instead of sandwiches as bread is loaded with cals.

Master
    Which bit is spot on? The bit that keto can magically overcome a stupid 1,500 daily calorie deficit?

Neither carbs nor fats are friends or enemies - they are tools to be adjusted according to what you want to achieve.
    My comment was more about the effects of letting your body burn fat and not inhibiting it by eating carbs.....not a comment about the number of calories that had been eaten.

Re high fat diet vs low fat diet (which we've all been advised to eat for the last 20yrs+) here's a link to a summary of a study (which wasn't sponsored by a food company ) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23651522

I mentioned this book in an earlier post - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Fat-Surp...g+fat+surprise

I'm new-ish to this myself and still learning.....

cheers

Alan

Interesting discussion.

With due respect to both sides of the "carbs argument", you have to be a little careful, as there's a lot of subjectivity (or even pseudoscience) being portrayed as hard fact, and very low-carb diets have been fashionable for a while now despite some studies dismissing them. Although the effects on blood sugars and lipids are still being researched, I think most nutritionalists will advise you to maintain a balanced diet.

The bottom line is that if you burn more calories than you take in, you'll lose weight. Any diet plan is just a way of making the process as pleasant (or least unpleasant) as possible. The mix of carbs/fat/protein is often more down to the physiology/psychology of feeling full.

I think the problem with carbs, and certainly refined sugars, is that they are not particularly filling, maybe even moreish. Proteins (as well as fibre) are more filling, less moreish and usually less calorific, so you will end up consuming less calories, but feel as full. Alcohol is effectively a split sugar molecule, so very much like a carb. (It's quite moreish as well!!).

So in effect, the advice ends up being the same - bias you diet more towards protein, be careful with fat, and especially carbs.

You started out this thread with a pretty good post but, I am sorry to say, your last couple posts on this subject are not very good advice (and that is putting it kindly.)
    You are entitled to your opinion and the OP (or anyone else) is welcome to use my advice or ignore it.

Banned
    My comment was more about the effects of letting your body burn fat and not inhibiting it by eating carbs.....not a comment about the number of calories that had been eaten.

Re high fat diet vs low fat diet (which we've all been advised to eat for the last 20yrs+) here's a link to a summary of a study (which wasn't sponsored by a food company ) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23651522

I mentioned this book in an earlier post - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Fat-Surp...g+fat+surprise

cheers

Alan
    Yeah, i've got no issue with the fact that keto works - of course it does. I don't believe its a good idea long term and dont recommend it for a number of reasons but if you actually like eating that way then go ahead and try it out if you want.

as to fat, my diet runs between 20-30% fat on average so i am certainly not averse to fat. but again, carbs per se are not going to hurt you and there's no reason not to use them. I run about 200g carbs, 230g protein and 60-70g fat/day typically when getting lean for about 2350 calories (My BMR being circa 2,800). If you are bulking up then its virtually impossible to do without carbs - try hit 4000-5000+ calories a day on fat and protein alone...

cheers

Alan
    I'm still learning too - it's a fascinating subject all the more so because it appears to turn the accepted advice of the last 50 years on its head. It's a subject you could talk about for hours and hard to summarise in a short conversation.

One main benefit of ketogenesis is having more energy at a consistent level throughout the day as opposed to the crashes associated with temporary carb/sugar highs and the accompanying insulin spikes and dips. If you look at the Bulletproof Executive site I linked earlier, he starts his day with a 'Bulletproof' coffee made with ghee/butter and some form of medium chain triglyceride - e.g. coconut extract or 'MCT oil'. Plenty of videos on how to make it on Youtube. I have not 'advanced' to this level yet. It's all about the one per cent changes gradually at this stage.

I'm confident there will be a whole wave of change across the whole 'diet' industry. I have already noted this in the last year alone with media coverage about butter being better for you than margarine, sugar being worse than fat etc. The challenge is gradually changing people over to a new way of eating - means lots of opportunities too :-).

Master
    The "Diet Industry" is the only industry which succeeds by failing its customers.
    We now eat for pleasure rather than necessity - we are also not good at self control.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    I have no expert knowledge on dieting nor losing weight.
    However FWIW this is the only thing that works for me.....
    This works for me too, of sorts. I eat nothing until evening from Monday-Friday, and eat and drink what I like all weekend. Fasting is meant to be good for you too, so it's a win win.

Keeps my weight constant (11.5 st) and if I want to lose a few pounds I lay off the beer.

Master
    Yeah, i've got no issue with the fact that keto works - of course it does. I don't believe its a good idea long term and dont recommend it for a number of reasons but if you actually like eating that way then go ahead and try it out if you want.

as to fat, my diet runs between 20-30% fat on average so i am certainly not averse to fat. but again, carbs per se are not going to hurt you and there's no reason not to use them. I run about 200g carbs, 230g protein and 60-70g fat/day typically when getting lean for about 2350 calories (My BMR being circa 2,800). If you are bulking up then its virtually impossible to do without carbs - try hit 4000-5000+ calories a day on fat and protein alone...
    Are you bulking up for cycling Josh? I'm more interested in slow energy release over a long period, i.e. in distance running

cheers
    Alan

Master
    I'm still learning too - it's a fascinating subject all the more so because it appears to turn the accepted advice of the last 50 years on its head. It's a subject you could talk about for hours and hard to summarise in a short conversation.

One main benefit of ketogenesis is having more energy at a consistent level throughout the day as opposed to the crashes associated with temporary carb/sugar highs and the accompanying insulin spikes and dips. If you look at the Bulletproof Executive site I linked earlier, he starts his day with a 'Bulletproof' coffee made with ghee/butter and some form of medium chain triglyceride - e.g. coconut extract or 'MCT oil'. Plenty of videos on how to make it on Youtube. I have not 'advanced' to this level yet. It's all about the one per cent changes gradually at this stage.

I'm confident there will be a whole wave of change across the whole 'diet' industry. I have already noted this in the last year alone with media coverage about butter being better for you than margarine, sugar being worse than fat etc. The challenge is gradually changing people over to a new way of eating - means lots of opportunities too :-).
    If I'm running early I'll sometimes have coconut oil / butter in coffee...mainly 'cos it tastes nice 😊.
    I'll have a look at that guy's site but what appeals to me about LCHF is the fact that it's a natural way of eating and is extremely simple.

You're right about the constant energy levels, I've noticed a difference there and also a few other nice 'side effects' like I'm sleeping better and I've cut out snacks completely (because I'm not hungry, not through exercising will power).

Just think how empty the supermarkets would be if they couldn't sell all the 'low fat' stuff or anything with added sugar! Food bills would be a lot lower too....

cheers

Alan

Banned
    Are you bulking up for cycling Josh? I'm more interested in slow energy release over a long period, i.e. in distance running

cheers
    Alan
    No, i cycle to commute, get some cardio in and because I enjoy it. I do about 50km a day in the commute but I'm not especially into long distance riding

i do weights at the gym 3-4 times a week and its in that context that mass gain is relevant.

Journeyman
    Some deeply technical stuff on here.

I'm overweight, enjoy a beer/wine, lazy with little self control and the 5:2 diet is working for me. No effort really, even when travelling with work and I really don't feel bad on the max 600 calorie days. I've lost over a stone since the start of April. From 15st4lbs to 14st and counting.

I've always used fresh ingredients anyway, minimal processed food and I quite enjoy the challenge of making a 300 calorie evening meal, its surprising what you can have when you think about it a bit.

I guess what really matters is what works for you, your frame of mind and your lifestyle.

Personally I don't think there is any magic to 5:2, its just your incoming average calories per day goes down below your outgoing calories. Hey presto, weight loss. Like a calorie controlled diet but only twice a week, for lazy people, with no will power, who enjoy a tipple...

Paul.

PS edited to say I track fast day calories with myfitnesspal and don't forget to take a multivitamin supplement...

I know this is the simple advice people often give but with respect - and I could've replied to a few others saying the same thing but I happened to choose yours - it's not really that helpful.

The truth is many people do not really grasp the concept of calories, what they equate to and what to count. It is essentially a waste of time.

I'll explain why:

Take someone who finds himself overweight but doesn't understand why. He 'only' has a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a cereal bar mid-morning, a sandwich for lunch (2 slices of bread) and for dinner, pasta or rice and chilli con carne - not big portions either.

His calorie count may not be over 2000 but he will still feel himself gradually putting on weight. This is because what he's consuming is high in starch and sugar. The content rather than the volume of what he's consuming is the issue. Fundamentally, our blood sugar continually spiking and falling throughout the day with the accompanying insulin spikes makes us more resistant to it and we deposit it as fat.

We need to train our bodies to become more sensitive to insulin . We also need to train our bodies to use fat as its primary energy source rather than carbs/sugars - refer to ketogenesis - which takes a couple of weeks to kick in.

Coming back to the point, if you eat the right foods - fresh, unprocessed meats , seafood, vegetables with very small amounts of non-toxic carbs and no sugar, you can eat as much as you want and not bother counting calories. No offence but calorie-counting is for neurotic women. The only thing you could check is the sugar content on food and drink you buy because it's shocking how much is in most things.

Fair enough, however using my non- scientific method I have still managed to loose 17kg in the past 12 months and gone from 38 down to 34. Blood pressure down as is my cholesterol levels. I am well please.

Now if only I could grow a full head of hair, I would be totally buff.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I've had a kidney stone since Monday, and the nausea / lack of appetite associated with it is proving surprising effective! Silver linings and all that...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Fair enough, however using my non- scientific method I have still managed to loose 17kg in the past 12 months and gone from 38 down to 34. Blood pressure down as is my cholesterol levels. I am well please.

Now if only I could grow a full head of hair, I would be totally buff.
    Nice one Andy, rowing machines are great aren't they. I bought one after I stopped playing 5 a-side (never got fit playing football, only injured) and I still use it now and then. It didn't make my hair grow back either 😊

Re low carb high fat, has anyone seen this film - http://www.cerealkillersmovie.com ? Has it been on TV yet?

cheers

Alan

Right, I'll enter the debate to add some clarity to a couple of points that I think get misinterpreted.

There is nothing wrong with carbs. There is nothing wrong with sugar, which is just a refined carbohydrate. If you have them in your daily diet and you are aware of your balance of fats, proteins and carbs then you can eat carbs and lose weight. It is unnecessary to demonise carbs and try to live carb free. Your body will convert fats and proteins to fuel sources in the absence of carbs but it’s a lot of hassle to make yourself eat like that and it is also not required.

The idea that carbs make you fat is a drift over from the change in the diet industry. In brief, fats were the bad thing until about 10 years ago. Quite rightly people slowly accepted that fats don’t make you fat if moderated. There were then some very loose studies showing that if people are still getting obese whislt fat is controlled then it must be something else – HFCS – so enter the new bad guy - high fructose corn syrup. This is a concentrated carb source added to foods and it became the new bad guy, because of awful correlation data that showed its use was increasing and people were getting fatter so it must be hfcs, which then spread out to carbs being the new guy. With the interest in diets like the Atkins which is zero carb and promotes your body using fats and proteins as fuel, then a whole raft of misinformation was spread and people are now in the odd position of trying to rule out a macro nutrient (carbs) that are not intrinsically bad, if you are aware of them. It really bugs me that people give out misinformation about diets and carbs, which is probably a failing on my side tbh.

This is a long, but useful video that explains carbs.

http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/bi...right-for-you/

In brief it states that everyone has different carb tolerances. I for example eat about 700g a day and deal with it okay. Others can only tolerate 200g a day without getting fat. There is no need to rule it out if you understand it and work with your own tolerances, which will be different to the next guys and which is why your low carb diet would be wrong for me and vice versa.

This is an excellent article by the undisputed god of nutrition alan aragon. He is an independent nutrionist who advises a number of health bodies, publications and also runs meta data analysis. His big advantage is that he does not sell diets, or promote products etc. He doesn’t come up with new crazes and sell new fads. I cannot recommend him enough for independent science based nutrition.

This article pretty much sums up the diet composition anyone needs. If you want, skip the start with the sums and just read the info about carbs.

http://ironwarriorstraining.tumblr.com/nutrition101

Don’t demonise them, you don’t need to. Chill out, have some bread.

Although that said, as the carb craze has been flogged and people are still getting fatter, there is movement in the diet industry to find a new bad guy and it appears to be gluten that is being put into the spotlight for everyone, including the majority who don’t have intolerances. So enjoy bread whilst you can, until it becomes the next new pointless food pariah.

Master
    I think the OP was wanting to just lose some weight, not get into bodybuilding ?

I haven't read anything of Alan Aragon yet but remember, Ancel Keys was once the undisputed god of nutrition too... ;)

Cheers
    Alan

Apprentice
    Having lost 40kg (that's about 6st for the pre-decimal) in the last 12 months (actually lost it in 9 but have successfully kept it off for the last 3), for me it boils down to 4 words "eat less - move more".

The eat less might even be restated as "eat smarter" (lowering the calorie content of what you are eating - for example by either by ditching the additional sugar or swapping it for a zero calorie sweetener, or taking a 10% smaller portion...)

Move more for me was initially walking for 60-90mins per day, parking the car as far as possible from the supermarket in the supermarket car park, etc. Still do the car parking thing but the move more is now a daily bike ride (except when blowing a gale or hissing rain) of about an hour - not a pootle, but a decent workout but also not flat out by any means.

Have I been a saint in sticking to it? Certainly not - but if/when I have a beer or two, then the next bike ride is extended... I'm still no stranger to a pie, cake, bar of chocolate or curry - but the contingent payback is a longer bike ride.

Won't fit with everyone for sure - but it might wake an idea or two in someone.

Nice one Andy, rowing machines are great aren't they. I bought one after I stopped playing 5 a-side (never got fit playing football, only injured) and I still use it now and then. It didn't make my hair grow back either 

Re low carb high fat, has anyone seen this film - http://www.cerealkillersmovie.com ? Has it been on TV yet?

cheers

Alan
    Thanks, I also now use the rowing machine as the perfect platform for doing sit ups and toe touches. So it now goes something like - start with 20 sit-ups, then do 1.5Km on 6 or 7 (my machines goes to 8), then another 20 sit-up and 20 toe touches (still strapped in), then repeat again 3 more times. Takes about 25 minutes which equates to about 320 calories (according to MyFitnessPal or 360 on the Rower) - but either way it only equates to a medium pork pie or a couple of glasses of wine :(

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Dieting but not exercising will not necessarily achieve weight loss. Exercise is as important as diet. A 30-45 minute brisk walk every day works wonders … no need for a gym or personal trainers … just build up to regular walking routines so that you feel your limbs tingling and body glowing after a good stroll.

dunk

I think the OP was wanting to just lose some weight, not get into bodybuilding ?

I haven't read anything of Alan Aragon yet but remember, Ancel Keys was once the undisputed god of nutrition too... ;)

Cheers
    Alan
    Ha, yes, the articles are sound nutrition advice for overall life, but are contained in the field of bodybuilding.

Interesting guy Ancel Keys, he certainly generated discussion!

Steve

Banned
    Ancel Keys made it to 101 iirc. Shunned fad diets and disdained eating like a garbage pail. He got some things right there (and ofc some things wrong.)

My best advice for you would be to ensue your diet is well balanced. For example; try to have a range if food groups in each meal throughout the day such as: protein, carbohydrate, fats. Eliminate snacks and stick to three meals a day. Exercise for 1 hour 3 times a week. I have just stuck to this and have lost over 25kg in mass over a 4 month period and am about to embark on my first half marathon. There is no need for fad diets.

There is some good advice, and an awful lot of crap in this thread.

If you want guaranteed success, work out your calorific requirements. Join something like myfitnesspal as stated earlier, weigh and log everything (check that the entry is correct - lots are wrong - even the bar coded stuff!) - then Drop between 250-750 calories a day from your maintenance required calories and stick to it - you'll lose between 0.5lb and 1.5lb a week of real weight, in the first few weeks you'll drop some water weight, because your eating less food! If you make sure your at an absolute minimum of 1g protein per pound body weight (some research suggests a lot higher!), you will retain more muscle, if you don't you'll probably just get lighter but stay a similar level,of bodyfat. It's recommended to get about 0.45g of fat per pound of body weight and the rest can be anything you like - most people perform/have more energy if they make the remainder up with carbs.

Using a Keto diet can work, but why, it's so restrictive - and if you eat more calories you'll still be just as fat or get fatter - if you simply drop your overall calories (and adjust them down as you lose weight), you'll steadily lose weight till you reach your goal quite easily - then once at your target weight work out your maintenance calorie requirement and make sure you stick to it over any given week - that way you can eat whatever you want some of the time and maintain your weight.

I'm currently "dieting" on the occasional Chinese takeaway, gastro pub steak burgers, and fish, chips and mushy peas - 10kg off and around 4% body fat down so far. Doing it this way is no hardship.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hellominky View Post
    With the interest in diets like the Atkins which is zero carb
    Just to note, the Atkins diet is not zero carb. Instead it promotes a long term sustainable diet of balanced carbs, protein, etc.

The bit which everyone seem to pay attention to whilst forgetting the rest is the initial two week period which is zero carb. After that, carbs are re-introduced gradually in a controlled manner with, as above, the goal of sustainable balanced intake of nutrients. The initial, very limited, zero carb period is to give the person a kick start, in both physiological and psychological terms, to break the 'dependence' that many people have on carbs and sugars. The Atkins diet nevertheless recognises their importance as a part of one's diet.

Master
    Some might argue that the only 'fad diet' being talked about here is the 'low fat balanced diet' that we've all been told to eat for the last 30 so years and which clearly doesn't work,

Cheers
    Alan

Craftsman
    The thing about doing some vigorous exercise is that it burns a lot of calories and the increased metabolic rate stays with you for many hours afterwards. Additionally a good endorphin rush can dull appetite without you even knowing it.

So even if you do nothing else, exercise should show results.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    The thing about doing some vigorous exercise is that it burns a lot of calories and the increased metabolic rate stays with you for many hours afterwards. Additionally a good endorphin rush can dull appetite without you even knowing it.

Sadly this is not put into practise by 65% of Americans! But on a serious note we have always 'partnered' with the states and as a result inherited all their excesses, theres time I wish we had chose and Asian diet path
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post

The epoc effect is grossly exaggerated - most studies could not replicate the often touted findings to the same degree.

Its not about exercise, vigorous or otherwise - it's about eating less than you require, or just what you need. Or making up for your over indulgences by carrying out 'any' form of activity that you prefer, or fits in with your schedule, equal to the amount of calories that you consume.

Also if you lift heavy(ish) weights while you eat less you will retain a lot more of your lean body mass (i.e muscle).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QDANtU4LUkc

OP, I appreciate what you said that my other links may have been a bit heavy.

the above video is a very straightforward walk through on how to build a diet, it shows you the calculator to use for calories, how to do it, an introduction to macros and gives you an example as a working reference point. Its really very simple.

the point about macro percentages is probably a step too far for you at the minute so maybe just come back to that later. The video is relevant for anyone and should help avoid the pitfalls of cutting too many carbs, or dropping weight that is actually muscle. Remember on the days you workout you will naturally need more calories, maybe a couple of hundred extra depending on how hard you go at excercise.

omegamanic is spot on with the 200 cals a day reduction to start and then adapt as you need, either increase or decrease. A slice of bread is around 100 cals, so you get the picture.

I sometimes forget that other people arent nutrition geeks, so I can appear tragically dull!

Steve
    Last edited by hellominky; 12th July 2014 at 12:19.

Morning folks - time for a quick update, my first since my weight loss programme began.

The important thing for me is that I've not given up any foods. I eat less for sure but still enjoy the things I always have. I've not counted calories either, just relied on what I've learned and taken regular exercise; a 30 minute run three times a week.

I've lost 8 pounds in 4 weeks. I'm delighted with that and know where and when I could have eaten less/exercised more to shift a little more. But then there's the thing about 2 pounds a week being the sensible approach so overall I'm very pleased.

So to recap, I'm 5ft 11' tall, medium build, 42 years old and weigh 12 stone 2 pounds. Ideally I'd like to lose another 9 pounds.

I'll be back!

David

Banned
    We'll done David, thats great progress!

Keep on at it and don't be discouraged when the weight loss slows down - thats normal. Sounds like you've adopted a really sensible approach so should be easy to maintain the new improved you!

(still recommend some weight training though!)

Grand Master

So to recap, I'm 5ft 11' tall, medium build, 42 years old and weigh 12 stone 2 pounds. Ideally I'd like to lose another 9 pounds.

I'll be back!

David
    Im 6ft, well into my 40's and 14 stone, 30" waist and quite low body fat, I might suggest you get some lean muscle on as an investment for the future
    RIAC

Im 6ft, well into my 40's and 14 stone, 30" waist and quite low body fat, I might suggest you get some lean muscle on as an investment for the future
    Thanks Kerry, I've been thinking about that too.

Great progress - but as Kerry says, adding some muscle now, while you still can, could be a very good/wise idea - as quite soon you will be in a position of losing lean body mass year on year, with all the side effects that go with it.

I can only dream of getting back to a 30 inch waist again though ;) Although saying that, I have taken around 4 inches off my waist in the last 12/13 weeks :) with more to come and some discipline I might just get there - a real 32 would be fantastic for me though.

Keep it up. The main thing if you are dieting is to make sure you get enough protein, so that you don't drop muscle - simply dieting along with drop approx. 50:50 muscle to fat. By keeping your protein higher - at least 1g per pound of lean body weight, you will go some way to maintaining as much lean mass as possible while dropping the additional 9lbs - otherwise you may lose some more weight, but have a worse body composition - lots of people drop weight and find that they have actually increased their body fat percentage!

Well done chaps - keep up the good work. I now only have 2.5Kg to go. Hopefully another 4 weeks and I will be done and can spend the next 28 years getting back to being a 38" waist

Journeyman
    I too believe that fasting has helped me control my weight issue, which I don't really have anymore. I fast one day a week, drinking water, tea (no sugar), and maybe a natural fruit juice but nothing else till the following day.

Previous diets I followed, like not mixing carbohydrates with fats were somewhat sucessful but I just couldn't keep that going for long, and it was easy to gain weight again.

Like Java said, I find fasting at least one day a week much easier than a normal diet. I eat less than I normally would on my normal eating days. It's made a big difference. I also make sure that I chew my food thoroughly which helps too.

So far it's been a very positive experience for me at every level. I'd recommend it to anyone. And it is indeed supposed to be good for your overall health (plus you save a bit of money too!)
    Last edited by watchhead; 6th August 2014 at 21:57.

I've never been fat, often overweight but in the last year or two I really feel like I've got a firm grip on what exactly I need to do - even better as it's passive -a need to avoid rather than a need to go out and pursue- to stay pretty trim. I don't even exercise more than before, if anything a bit less.

I've mentioned it before but I won't go into too much detail as the thread will get de-railed by naysayers...but I've taken most of what I do from the simple principles the 'Paleo' lifestyle (it's not a diet) it espouses and some I've adapted. Mainly:

- Sugar is man's number one enemy, then carbs..fats are lower in the list than you think. Almost everything you consume or buy will have sugar in it, natural or otherwise. You say you eat a lot of fruit for example. Fruit in moderation is ok but too much of it and the fructose can actually cause you to gain weight, especially if consumed in the evening after dinner.
    You'll also be amazed how much sugar is in those 'healthy' fruit juices you buy.

- Humans make the mistake of consuming carbs with their protein in nearly every meal. A single burger (without the bun) and salad is fine. However, have it in a bun with chips on the side and you will almost feel the weight going on. Eat good clean food, limiting carbs. The Indian diet wouldn't be nearly as bad if they didn't combine so much roti/naan etc. with their meat and veg.

The general rule for good carbs should be no more than the equivalent of a fist of white rice a day. White rice is the least toxic carb you could consume. Sweet potato is another good one. Do not avoid explicit carbs entirely.

The notion of doing this is flipping most people's idea of a 'meal' on its head - making the protein/non-carb content the centre of the plate with a bit of carbs on the side. By consuming a lot of vegetables, you are getting natural carbs this way - they exist in nearly all vegetables in significant amounts.

Red meat , chicken , fish..combined with plenty of vegetables (you can eat almost unlimited of this compared to the sugary fruit I mentioned) - all fine. Limit plates of carbs to an absolute minimum. Pasta is not a dinner imo. It's nutritionless rubbish designed to make us feel full but puts on weight like nobody's business. A sandwich is not a lunch. The bread spikes your insulin levels and puts on weight around your middle.

Overall, stick to low 'Glycaemic Index' foods - this excludes cakes, cereal bars, biscuits, sugary drinks, potatoes, rice, bread and anything that doesn't 'slide' through our system nice and easily. It goes without saying that if you are having cups of coffee with a couple of sugars a few times a day, it's a lot of sugar.

However, it's important you treat yourself and don't deprive yourself when you really want something. I tend to stick to the above 80% of the time and still get most of the benefits. If your weakness is pasta at a restaurant, order it. If you fancy having dessert, have it - just not every day. If you fancy having a burger and chips, do so..but not more than once a week etc. etc.

- Avoid processed foods as much as possible - stuff out of a packet or tin is not good for you. See it as something that clogs up your body.

- Good fats - caution: this goes against some of the so-called well-regarded medical advice! There's not much argument about avocado, olives and fatty fish (salmon, tuna etc.) containing good fats but also try cooking in and consuming more coconut oil rather than the usual sunflower and vegetable oils. Use butter too for cooking in. Coconut oil and butter (even better - clarify your butter to make your own ghee) are actually better for you than what the usual advice tells you.

- 'Bad' fats - contrary to the mainstream advice and belief, consuming a bit of fat on your steak or bacon is not going to make you fat. Consuming it in a big sandwich or with a lot of potatoes is. Fat is not the enemy, sugar is.

- Portion control - we eat way more than we need. It's a good idea to chew slowly and stop just before you get full - refer 'Hara hachi bu' which is the Japanese way of stopping when 80% full.

- Alcohol - sounds obvious but if you're consuming alcohol, whether beer or spirits, you're going to spike your insulin and put on weight. If you're consuming more than ten units a week, you're probably going to be battling the weight going on.

This might all sound like a lot of hard work at first but it's all pretty much common sense and simple to stick to once you get over the 'hump' of the first few weeks.

Make sure you search for the other threads on this topic there. There is lots of good advice (and probably me banging on about Paleo too ).

Some links:

This guy broke the mould with Paleo decades ago - he wrote the book!

http://thepaleodiet.com/

This guy is pretty extreme in that he lives by it to the letter and has advanced to 'biohacking' his body. Worth liking his Facebook page for some interesting updates and news:

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/

Less extreme but good info all the same (also refer 'Primal'):

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz36ygrnPd4

Let us know how you get on.
    Best advice ever. Couldn't have said it better myself