closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does anyone wear a sub working construction daily?

Craftsman

Does anyone wear a sub working construction daily?

I ve always liked the look of subs that have had a hard life but yet my two are near mint.. This is making me think of just wearing my 16610 from now on at work. Enjoy the watch daily and get some character on the dam thing! I m a electrician by trade so it ll have a fairly rough ride.

Does anyone else use their tough, well made watches in a construction environment?

At present it isn't permitted to wear watches on the shop floor in my line of work.
    If it was I would have no problem whatsoever wearing my sub.
    In fact, I think it's the fact that I have little opportunity to wear a high-end watch that prevents me from diverting funds to get myself one. I think this will most likely change as I get older...
    Last edited by Umbongo; 5th July 2014 at 19:15.

Craftsman
    Baking is a form of construction and yes, I do wear a decent watch when working sometimes, usually only when with a client though. Usually not though as NATO straps and acrylic crystals react badly when they come into contact with hot oven parts.

I'm a blacksmith and wear either my Speedbird or Precista 82 daily. I've had the speedbird over a year and it's done really well - nothing that a quick brush with an abrasive pad didn't clean up. My heart sank last week when I caught the bezel insert on the 82 but I've now relaxed and forgotten about buying a replacement insert.
    I bought these to wear and whilst not in the same price range as a sub I'd like to think if I could afford a more expensive watch it would still be used and enjoyed.

I'll happily wear all and any of my watches whilst working, and the environment can certainly be a bit rough and tumble. For example, I got into quite a tussle with a spreadsheet yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobelurch View Post
    Baking is a form of construction and yes, I do wear a decent watch when working sometimes, usually only when with a client though. Usually not though as NATO straps and acrylic crystals react badly when they come into contact with hot oven parts.
    Plus, of course, the fact that the wearing of jewellery in food production isn't considered to be displaying GMPs.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'll happily wear all and any of my watches whilst working, and the environment can certainly be a bit rough and tumble. For example, I got into quite a tussle with a spreadsheet yesterday.
    I wouldn't be seen dead near one of those, with or without a watch. Far too dangerous;)

If you don't think you're going to sell it down the line, and like the 'worn' look, why not‽

I run a skip yard/waste transfer station and ok I'm 'Management' but it's a shitty environment and pretty 'hands on'.

I wear my 42mm Explorer II daily and aside from a few scratches that could happen anytime/anywhere it's as good as new.
    I think hat if you're wearing an expensive watch you're subconsciously a bit more careful of it than you would be a G-Shock or similar.

Wear and enjoy mate.

Master
    I wear my Sub almost daily in my rough and tumble world of being retired.

On a bad day I have to get up, have a leisurely breakfast, and read the papers.

It gets worse. Next week I'll have to decide on whether to watch the Tour de France, read a book or have a little nap. Then I might have to drag myself out for a little jaunt down the pub.

Needless to say the Sub suffers only second to me.

scooter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I run a skip yard/waste transfer station and ok I'm 'Management' but it's a shitty environment and pretty 'hands on'.

I wear my 42mm Explorer II daily and aside from a few scratches that could happen anytime/anywhere it's as good as new.
    I think hat if you're wearing an expensive watch you're subconsciously a bit more careful of it than you would be a G-Shock or similar.

Wear and enjoy mate.
    Agree with this, but in my experience you're more likely to ding a watch if you're conscientiously trying not too. Wear it without fear, and it will come through unscathed.

I wear my Rolex watches every day and also during my work where I do a lot of desk diving so there are hardly no risks at work.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I admire your devil may care attitude to watches!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post

Wear and enjoy mate.
    I m thinking the same. Do you get the 'your mad wearing a watch like that for work ' comments?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yep, wear my SD for work

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post

It gets worse. Next week I'll have to decide on whether to watch the Tour de France, read a book or have a little nap. Then I might have to drag myself out for a little jaunt down the pub.

scooter
    Haha. Enjoy ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Yep, wear my SD for work

Nice! How many hours has it had at work would you say?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Idc0001 View Post
    Nice! How many hours has it had at work would you say?
    I guess it gets around 300-360 hours in the oggin per year, in a helium environment for 140 ish days per year, seals done 2-3 years.

Yep, wear my SD for work

I dont think that job/ watch combo is gonna get beaten unless we get an AP ROO ona oilrig or a nautilus on a submarine-

I remember when we fitted out our Cardiff office that the chap who owned the ceiling fitting company (but also did some fitting himself) wore a Planet Ocean and didn't think anything about wearing it at work.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    I wear my SD on a daily basis...

Banned
    If you've got two them keep one for best and wear the other daily, especially as you don't mind wabi.

Here's the obligatory rugged theme type shot

Blog Entries
    I wear my sub every day to work , I'm in the construction industry and sometimes pretty hands on.
    dont get to precious about them , wearing them is what they are for.

Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    I wear my sub every day to work , I'm in the construction industry and sometimes pretty hands on.
    dont get to precious about them , wearing them is what they are for.
    Ditto my daily is a gmtc . It was a 16760 up till a few months ago
    Before that a 16600 sd I wore everyday for 4/5 yrs
    Last edited by alanski; 5th July 2014 at 22:38.

Not a sub but I had a Tag Aquagraph that was worn daily for a few years.
    Besides a hell of a lot of scratches on the bracelet, the rest of the watch was remarkably untouched.
    I even had a couple of panes of tempered glass shower down on the watch with very little effect.
    I'd say just wear the thing but I'm a hypocrite as I now have a Deepblue for work and the "others" are saved for best

scooter
    Retired on a Vespa...That sounds a bit like Cyprus Was it an early retirement ?

On topic: Yes, I do like to wear my watches while working, although the job is office environment but I do like to work with my hands my recently departed grandfather was an engineer that had all kinds of skills, including carpentry, metal work, he built a few houses from the ground up, etc. and a minute amount of those skills rubbed off on me as well. Don't care so much about small dings or scratches but then again I don't own anything very expensive...for now.

Journeyman
    I think I'd probably wear an expensive watch while working. That said, I have watches I'm more willing to risk damage with than others. That has more to do with the movement than the case though.

It's not a Sub, but does a GMT count?
    Like you said, gotta build some character and it's not going to happen while being babied.
    Rock it.

Attached Images Attached Images

Craftsman

Its a hard life

This retirement lark is hard going eh Scooter???....you don't get a minute on this job ?

Ivan
    iwcforme

scooter

Quote Originally Posted by Idc0001 View Post
    I m thinking the same. Do you get the 'your mad wearing a watch like that for work ' comments?
    Yep. Daily.

But then again many of our customers wear nice watches too so I think it's just a 'given' that some people 'get it' and some people don't.

Off the top of my head I can think of several Datejusts, a couple of Sub's and even an AP ROO worn by our customers who are predominently skip-lorry owner/drivers and ground-workers.

Even I raised an eyebrow at the AP ROO!
    (and yep it was genuine, the wearer owns the firm that he was driving for and I wouldn't mind being a few thousand pounds behind him!)

The only jobs that would rule out wearing a watch (for me) would be concrete gang, steel fixer(reinforcing) or pipe laying for safety and health reasons.
    Other than that, no problem.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Funnily enough, I am currently debating wearing my SD for work. I work in a garage on the tyres mainly. I've worn my SPORK daily for almost 4 years now but fancy a change. My only slight concern is the crystal chipping. I don't mind scratches and marks but I reckon that would drive me crackers.

Master
    I wore a sub to work for a couple of years until I lost the Bezel, the insurance company paid the bill but said they wouldn't cover me for a replacement if it happened again.

Master
    Yep, wear my SD for work

How long have you been diving Sea?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    How long have you been diving Sea?
    He's a Scot who dropped a shilling off a North Sea ferry in 1970. Been down there ever since.

Craftsman

My sub has become my daily wearer now. Has a few scratches but will just add to the patina in years to come I hope.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    He's a Scot who dropped a shilling off a North Sea ferry in 1970. Been down there ever since.
    HAHA if thats true he'll never be able to reply, unless he finds the shilling!

A few years ago I was working with a Greek lad whose name I can pronounce but can't spell. We were chiseling seized nuts off a pump cover and he was wearing a sub. The second hand was detached and rattling around inside the watch. He just shrugged and I was mortified. It was just abuse. He's now a marine surveyor with his own business in Cyprus I think but money was never a problem in his family.

Master
    Not a sub but I wear my PO most days to work, I'm in construction (off the tools) but have given the PO a few dunts on scaffold tubes and it handle the rigours well