closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor man's Rolex polar explorer II?

Poor man's Rolex polar explorer II?

I picked up this Omega 2538.20 over the weekend (otherwise known as the Omega Great White).

Before going for one of these I had done a fair bit of research on the model and on one forum had seen it described as a 'poor man's 16570'.

Rather unfair I think, putting it next to my 16570 it's hard to decide which one I actually prefer.

On the inside it has the Omega cal 1128 movement with independently setting hour hand. To the purists, this may be inferior to the in house Rolex movement, but it is robust and achieves compliance with chronometer specs with ease.

On the outside, I like the enhanced size compared to the Rolex, probably somewhere between the 16570 and the 216570. With its white wavy dial, 300m water resistance and a price tag less than half that of the Rolex, what's not to like?

Last edited by colin t; 30th June 2014 at 09:56.

That's a very appealing watch.

Almost to the point where I might prefer it to my black-dialled SMP.

I've a weakness for white dials in any case which I thought I'd scratched when I bought (and sold of course) a Speedie AP.

Thanks for posting - it stands up well to the comparison with your Explorer, too.

Hmmm...

The Omega looks great to me, as does the Rolex of course.
    I really like the look of white dials with a touch of colour like a red second hand, and with good lume too.

regards,
    Nick

Journeyman
    I prefer the smaller bezel numbering and larger (I think? It looks larger anyway) crown on the Rolex, but the dial on the Omega is fantastic. That said, they're both cracking watches, and I would love to have either of them.

Master
    i dotn think there is anything "poor man's" about it. it is a faantastic looking thing and actually, to my eye atleast, has bags more character than the explorer.

Holds its own very ably as far as I can see.
    That dial and those hands are a real plus for the Omega.

Both watches look great to me, I'd be happy with either, have looked at the Omega White dial currently own an Explorer 2 Polar.

The Omega isn't a poor mans anything, it's a great watch in it's own right.

Banned
    As I love Omega unfortunately I do not like the bezel on this one

Quote Originally Posted by EtherealShade View Post
    I prefer the smaller bezel numbering and larger (I think? It looks larger anyway) crown on the Rolex, but the dial on the Omega is fantastic. That said, they're both cracking watches, and I would love to have either of them.
    +1 - the Rolex bezel is more elegant, but the dial on the Omega looks very classy indeed.

Craftsman
    Both great watches, congrats!

Master
    I like that a lot. I have always had a soft spot for the Omega wave dial. I would say it's better value for money than the Rolex and I for one wouldn't be ashamed to be seen wearing it.

Isn't the 'independently setting' hour hand what modern Rolex do anyway? To me, the 'office GMT' versions where you set the GMT hand are useless for regular travel purposes.

I don't think the Omega Seamaster line are poor man's anything....they are great watches in themselves.

Master
    Blog Entries
    ^^^ Christian, the Omega does work the same way as the Rolex but the OP is saying it is not in-house.

Omega is certainly looked on as a cheap Rolex option by many here but this particular watch is amazing value. It is better than the Explorer II as the bezel turns!

I had the equivalent Rolex GMT II and sold it, replacing it with the black version of the Omega GMT. The Rolex has the better bezel don't but the sword hands and textures dial swung it fore. The painted dial vs applied indices also feel satisfyingly retro. I found the 24hour hand on the Rolex too big and the main hour hand felt wobbly on adjusting. Maybe a service would clear that but it was only 3 years old so it was a bit of a concern. Oh, the Omega case back is lovely too. No crown on the dial so many here will dismiss it, of course....

I have lost money by now having an Omega rather than a Rolex but in terms of what the watch is, it is better for me and that is what counts. After 7 years of almost continual wear, I know I made the right choice for me.

OP - enjoy the Omega, it is a cracking watch.

Ah, thanks for that. I've owned (too many!) watches of both brands and think the Seamaster is a well constructed watch - as you mention, the case back and dial pattern seem to give them more 'depth' than Rolex.

Obviously subjective but Omega feels like the solid 'tool' choice whereas Rolex the more refined. Both have their place.

Master
    The dial on the Omega is a masterpiece, but unfortunately, I find the bezel text a little too heavy-handed.. Otherwise, I would definitely own a great white.

The Omega just shades it for me, I like the bezel more, personally, but you couldn't be unhappy with either, surely?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

No contest in my opinion.
    Well I do dislike the mercedes hour hand and cyclops, so easy choice.
    The Omega is a classic and easily holds its own in this company.

Grand Master
    It may be hard to believe,but their will be some people on planet earth that have not heard of either brand.

So if you simply asked the question,which of these 2 watches do you want,they will pick the one they actually like.

Branding is for those that think it means so much more!,when it really doesn't.

Buy what YOU like,NOT what you think others will like or think of you because of the name on the item?

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    It may be hard to believe,but their will be some people on planet earth that have not heard of either brand.

So if you simply asked the question,which of these 2 watches do you want,they will pick the one they actually like.

Branding is for those that think it means so much more!,when it really doesn't.

Buy what YOU like,NOT what you think others will like or think of you because of the name on the item?
    Thanks for this. Yes, I always buy what I like and care little of what others like or think (of me). In fact when buying Rolex in the past I have felt that I have made the purchasing decision in spite of brand perception.

I think I was trying to make a comparison of these watches based on their relative merits, including design. And if course bringing value-for-money into the equation too.

The fact that someone on a forum has described the Omega as a 'poor man's 16570', I think is actually quite amusing, and was obviously written to provoke! :-)

Master
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Great White came in TI?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Great White came in TI?
    I believe that it didn't ever come in Ti.

Grand Master
    ^^^^
    Both of those are out of my reach currently, so this is on my wants list. Had one once before, shouldn't have sold it! They went out of production quite quickly.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Nice pair!

Master
    I'd choose the Omega personally. But that particular variant has been on my wants list for some years and every time one comes up, I'm not ready to buy.

You can see where Omega got the idea from.

That said I am a big fan of the wavy dial period of Seamaster (excellent VFM then) and the white version is far nicer than the black dial version IMO.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Had the Polar Explorer and it was a great work watch, but never really gelled with it when home.

I really think i could get on board with a great white though, lovely looking watch but annoyingly hard to find...

Journeyman
    Def not a poor mans equivalent, very nice indeed, much prefer the bezel and no cyclops of the omega. But on the other hand the explorer's bracelet is much nicer IMO

Master
    It's a lovely watch so glad I got mine and believe me though I'd never sell it, I know this could be sold on pretty instantly. I've currently got mine on a blue Isofrane and it looks great. A real sportsmans watch. I might get an Orange Isofrane for a summer hols.
    Ps what sort of poor mans watch actually has a 3rd time zone and 3 X greater WR. It's a winner

I've had the omega Greeat White for about 5 years now. It's been an amazing watch, totally bomb proof and always looks smart.

Thanks for posting the side by side pics. I've been tempted by the Rolex Explorer, think I'd opt for the Rolex Master though.

Journeyman
    I'm personally not a huge fan of the Rolex Exp polar, however when compared to the Omega I have to say it's a far better looking watch. The Omega looks to my eye very blingy and quite comical in appearance.

Another Explorer 2 alternative here...

Last edited by MarkO; 29th June 2016 at 18:07.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Another Explorer 2 alternative here...

Oh that is stunning. A beautiful watch.

never a fan of the Polar White 16570, but a huge fan of the Crème 16650

Not a great picture,

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    never a fan of the Polar White 16570, but a huge fan of the Crème 16650

Not a great picture,

Agreed, now that is cool!

Always been a fan of that Omega GMT but the crown kills it for me, why is it partially recessed like that? It kills it for me otherwise I would have been an owner long ago. Have owned a Polar Rolex GMT since 2003 and its been a trusty workhouse for many years.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Always been a fan of that Omega GMT but the crown kills it for me, why is it partially recessed like that? It kills it for me otherwise I would have been an owner long ago. Have owned a Polar Rolex GMT since 2003 and its been a trusty workhouse for many years.
    It's very well protected during use, and when the watch is off the wrist the crown is easy to turn (easier than a 2003 GMT II anyway). What is a Polar Rolex GMT - a white Explorer 2? If the bezel turned on that then I'd get one tomorrow.

Master
    Surely this is the closest you'd get to a cheap Explorer II?

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    It's very well protected during use, and when the watch is off the wrist the crown is easy to turn (easier than a 2003 GMT II anyway). What is a Polar Rolex GMT - a white Explorer 2? If the bezel turned on that then I'd get one tomorrow.
    Yeah sorry a white Exp 2.

I am sure the crown on the Omega is well protected I could just never get over the look of it.

Craftsman
    Both very nice watches but I've always found the Omega's more comfortable to wear , I've had several Rolex models over the years and quite a few omega's and always ended up wearing the omega's more often.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Yeah sorry a white Exp 2.

I am sure the crown on the Omega is well protected I could just never get over the look of it.
    No worries, aesthetics are definitely in the eye of the beholder. I always found it odd that Omega made the GMT version of this watch so different to the simple diver:

1. More protected crown
    2. White box around the date window
    3. No He crown despite it having the 300m depth rating

Personally I like all 3 choices but appreciate that the crown guard looks a bit odd. Not as odd as the bezel font though...

Recent arrival...

To join my explorer polar.

Have to say that I'm impressed with it, love the wave dial, sword hands and lume, prefer the bezel on the explorer.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

I really like the great white, but it’s crying out for an anniversary bezel, that would look killer.

Congratulations on your new addition.

I am currently on the hunt for it's black dial brother.

I don't think it's possible to find a cheaper alternative than this one! Thinking of putting a Mercedes hour hand on.
    Although it does have a couple more bezels...

^^^^^^^^
    That is a good point, but hopefully one that I could live with.

Of all my watches the Great White gets worn the most.

Not just because I travel between time zones most weeks, but also because I find it an incredibly versatile watch, wearing it on the original bracelet as well as a variety of NATO's, perlon, rubber as well as alligator.

At the moment it is on a modded crimson NATO.

Craftsman
    I must say I am no huge fan of the enormous numeral size on the Omegas bezel,

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEchoAlpha View Post
    I must say I am no huge fan of the enormous numeral size on the Omegas bezel,
    It is, admittedly, a little garish but it does make reading the second time zone an absolute breeze.

I like both but am a sucker for a nice baton marker. Having said that, I'm not overly keen on the typeface of the GMT bezel on the Seamaster. Actually, thinking more about it I think there are too many numbers. If I look at my 2254 I think the bezel is the same however there are less numbers so doesn't look as busy. I do like the Omega dial though, the waves and the sword hands make it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roxylady View Post
    I'm personally not a huge fan of the Rolex Exp polar, however when compared to the Omega I have to say it's a far better looking watch. The Omega looks to my eye very blingy and quite comical in appearance.
    Spot on

I am no Rolex fan but in this instance it wins hands down.