closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Jeans?

Gotta love that White Oak Mills cone denim...
    Last edited by Broussard; 29th June 2014 at 22:32.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tellason stretch quite a bit in the waist so size down.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

If you want dark jeans to stay dark, wash then by hand at 30°C and always turn them inside out.

Paul

Or even better - don't wash them !

Another vote for Hiut. I have the Work and the Hack. The Work is pretty much 501 shape but so much better made and fitting. I prefer the slightly slimmer fit of the Hack. I went for the Organic fabric to make sure I was happy with the fit etc but will no doubt get some pairs of the selvedge. Been wearing them for 2 solid months now and been very pleased with them.

Hiut customer service is also excellent. After ordering but before my jeans were dispatched, I decided to try another size and they sent me an additional 2 pairs of jeans without charging my credit card on the understanding I would return the 2 pairs I didn't want. Lovely product, lovely people and made in the UK.

This thread got me looking for some new jeans and after a fair bit of research I've just received a pair of APC's New Standards. These are probable the best jeans I've ever had and I usually spend upwards of £300 on a pair so really happy that they only cost £100 from here http://www.autographmenswear.com/den...n-indigo-p1544
    I have a 31.5" waist but had to get 30" due to the amount of stretch I've read about. They are a snug fit at the moment but are starting to stretch out already.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    These are probable the best jeans I've ever had and I usually spend upwards of £300 on a pair so really happy that they only cost £100 from here http://www.autographmenswear.com/den...n-indigo-p1544
    Blimey, 300 quid for a pair of jeans, some of you guys live in a different world to me!

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Blimey, 300 quid for a pair of jeans, some of you guys live in a different world to me!
    Just like you can spend a tenner on cork / "leather" sandles from Matalan or fork out five / six times as much on designer Berkinsocks, buy a pair of 18 quid leather black shoes from George at Asda, or splash at Grenson, slip on a Campbell Cooper for 50 nicker, or 399 for a Beacon Sports at Barbour, you can spend whatever you like on jeans.

This forum thrives on brands, successful marketing and the trappings of first world luxury. Barbour. Grenson. High-end audio. 55" TVs.

It's all personal choice, I suppose.

Craftsman
    Levi's all the way. Get them in the states and they are around £25-£30 a pair. Great hard wearing jeans and you can get all the main colours!!

Finally found some Edwin ED-39's and not bad, just need to break them in now which I have to admit I'm not looking forward to. Shame they didn't have the slightly larger Nashville's to try on though.

Fish

Journeyman
    Diesel Tepphar are the only style of jeans that suit me, they are classed as skinny but I would say they were very slim

This thread got me looking for some new jeans and after a fair bit of research I've just received a pair of APC's New Standards. These are probable the best jeans I've ever had and I usually spend upwards of £300 on a pair so really happy that they only cost £100 from here http://www.autographmenswear.com/den...n-indigo-p1544
    I have a 31.5" waist but had to get 30" due to the amount of stretch I've read about. They are a snug fit at the moment but are starting to stretch out already.
    When the crotch blows out I recommend the denim doctor. Did a great job on my two pairs of APC:

http://www.thedenimdoctor.co.uk/

I have to say I bought a pair of the Uniqlo selvedge denim recently and have been very impressed so far.

Journeyman
    Levi 501. That is all.

Been wearing the Edwins for a little over the week and god they are still like cardboard! Not sure how much longer I will take before they have to soften up... :(

Fish

Tesco jeans, £8-£15, try them on and buy those that fit the best,,, £300.mental, do something worthwhile drop the cash with the Sally Army instead of wrapping over priced denim around your bum.

Banned
    Has anybody and recommendations for jeans for the office, not Levis 501' as they are a tad too loose for my legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Been wearing the Edwins for a little over the week and god they are still like cardboard! Not sure how much longer I will take before they have to soften up... :(

Fish
    i bought my first Edwins 8 years ago (Greenvilles)....they're starting to soften up nicely now!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ibby7 View Post
    Has anybody and recommendations for jeans for the office, not Levis 501' as they are a tad too loose for my legs.
    511s :)

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Tesco jeans, £8-£15, try them on and buy those that fit the best,,, £300.mental, do something worthwhile drop the cash with the Sally Army instead of wrapping over priced denim around your bum.
    Fair point.

Just out of interest, what's the limit I can spend on:

- a pair of shoes
    - a car (assume not allowed more than one)
    - house (ditto)
    - watches (ditto?)?

Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

As an aside, Hiut customer services leaves a lot to be desired. They make a big deal over the emailing Naomi their "secret weapon" for customer services but it seems she is so covert you don't even see her response to a potential customers question about size availability. http://hiutdenim.co.uk/pages/customer-service

Oh well, saved me a few £s and I'll stick with the brands I've bought before.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Fair point.

Just out of interest, what's the limit I can spend on:

- a pair of shoes
    - a car (assume not allowed more than one)
    - house (ditto)
    - watches (ditto?)?

Thanks in advance. :thumbup:
    Now you're being childish, its your money (provided you aren't on benefits) spend it how you like, the question was Recommended Jeans, so far there has been two pages devoted to jeans costing up to £300.00 I merely attempted to suggest that for about £15.00 one could buy a pair of jeans that do exactly what a pair of jeans was designed to do, i buy trainers for the gym and playing squash, suits for business and jeans for casual wear, I couldn't attempt to justify the extra £285. premium simply for a label.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeans

Now you're being childish, its your money (provided you aren't on benefits) spend it how you like, the question was Recommended Jeans, so far there has been two pages devoted to jeans costing up to £300.00 I merely attempted to suggest that for about £15.00 one could buy a pair of jeans that do exactly what a pair of jeans was designed to do, i buy trainers for the gym and playing squash, suits for business and jeans for casual wear, I couldn't attempt to justify the extra £285. premium simply for a label.

Not childish, just looking for a consistent message. If there's only one "answer" for jeans, then there's only one "answer" for watches - "for about £15.00 one could buy a [watch] that do[es] exactly what a [watch] was designed to do".

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Not childish, just looking for a consistent message. If there's only one "answer" for jeans, then there's only one "answer" for watches - "for about £15.00 one could buy a [watch] that do[es] exactly what a [watch] was designed to do".
    Just look back at my first line,,my message is spend your money how you like, but as per my original post in response to Recommend Jeans, jeans are casual wear denim is denim, we can argue the merits of cut, fit and customer service, but worn as casual leg wear you are deluding yourself and paying premium for a badge, as I said earlier I would sooner drop the spare cash in assorted charity boxes, its just a point of view chill.

To someone who isn't interested in denim, denim is denim. But to someone who is there is a great difference. Jeans are actually one of the more expensive garments to produce.

Its more than likely that somewhere on a denim forumpeople are discussing the merits of quality watches

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    To someone who isn't interested in denim, denim is denim. But to someone who is there is a great difference. Jeans are actually one of the more expensive garments to produce.
    Let me get this right, you are interested in denim????? well I never, now I've heard it all.

Its more than likely that somewhere on a denim forumpeople are discussing the merits of quality watches
    http://denimhunters.com/2013/06/five...ade-for-denim/

Well I've had my eyes opened today fellas

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    When the crotch blows out I recommend the denim doctor. Did a great job on my two pairs of APC:

http://www.thedenimdoctor.co.uk/

I have to say I bought a pair of the Uniqlo selvedge denim recently and have been very impressed so far.
    Thanks for the link, not too far from me. Which Uniqlo jeans did you go for and how much did they shrink after the initial wash?

Tesco jeans really don't have the same quality and fit that I expect in my clothes. They would probably be fine for digging in the garden but not much more imho. I like to feel good in what I wear and wear my jeans daily, usually getting a few years out of them. With this in mind I don't think it works out that expensive.

Tesco jeans really don't have the same quality and fit that I expect in my clothes. They would probably be fine for digging in the garden but not much more imho. I like to feel good in what I wear and wear my jeans daily, usually getting a few years out of them. With this in mind I don't think it works out that expensive.
    As I said earlier in the thread, people can spend their money anyway they like, you earned it so its yours, but I think you understand what I'm getting at, in a pub, club or restaurant as casual wear the percentage of people that will look at you and truly believe that what you're wearing is £285 better in fit or quality will be less than .5% which means that perhaps you have another reason for spending so much on such a basic item of clothing, EG, my brother in-law will often go for cocktails in London at anything upto £45.00 a pop, yes he can afford it, but there's more going on there, peer pressure, wanting to be part of a particular set, being seen in a particular place,,,,but if it floats your boat.

As I said earlier in the thread, people can spend their money anyway they like, you earned it so its yours, but I think you understand what I'm getting at, in a pub, club or restaurant as casual wear the percentage of people that will look at you and truly believe that what you're wearing is £285 better in fit or quality will be less than .5% which means that perhaps you have another reason for spending so much on such a basic item of clothing, EG, my brother in-law will often go for cocktails in London at anything upto £45.00 a pop, yes he can afford it, but there's more going on there, peer pressure, wanting to be part of a particular set, being seen in a particular place,,,,but if it floats your boat.
    To be honest I don't really know what your getting at. Who cares what other people think, I dress for myself. Same with watches. I could wear a cheap digital but choose to wear an 8 grand Rolex instead. Not for anyone else but for my own pleasure.
    PS, did you ever get round to buying that Reverso to add to the Rolex collection lol.
    Last edited by davida; 10th August 2014 at 19:14.

To be honest I don't really know what your getting at. Who cares what other people think, I dress for myself. Same with watches. I could wear a cheap digital but choose to wear an 8 grand Rolex instead. Not for anyone else but for my own pleasure.
    PS, did you ever get round to buying that Reverso to add to the Rolex collection lol.
    Doh no I didn't, as I've said in another thread I really like the look of a Reverso, everything calls to me, but no matter which model I've tried on, they don't seem to look right,

Doh no I didn't, as I've said in another thread I really like the look of a Reverso, everything calls to me, but no matter which model I've tried on, they don't seem to look right,
    Shame, it's a lovely watch.
    Getting back to the jeans. I can understand most people consider jeans to be just another basic item of clothing with very little thought going into them. To others, myself included, they are the most important item of clothing they own. Just like a WIS examining every detail of a watch, denim aficionados study every detail of the jeans. From the stitching, denim weight, denim manufacturer, rivet quality, design or lack of it on the pocket down to the way the denim fades over time. Washing is kept to an absolute minimum to avoid excess loss of dye and to achieve the perfect fade.
    Trust me, Tesco jeans really don't do denim justice. Yes £300 is a lot of money to spend on jeans but if, like watches it is a hobby, something to enjoy, is it really too much?

Shame, it's a lovely watch.
    Getting back to the jeans. I can understand most people consider jeans to be just another basic item of clothing with very little thought going into them. To others, myself included, they are the most important item of clothing they own. Just like a WIS examining every detail of a watch, denim aficionados study every detail of the jeans. From the stitching, denim weight, denim manufacturer, rivet quality, design or lack of it on the pocket down to the way the denim fades over time. Washing is kept to an absolute minimum to avoid excess loss of dye and to achieve the perfect fade.
    Trust me, Tesco jeans really don't do denim justice. Yes £300 is a lot of money to spend on jeans but if, like watches it is a hobby, something to enjoy, is it really too much?
    Of course it isn't, as I keep saying people can spend the money they earn on whatever they want, I guess im just putting forward a different view point, and I'm not saying either of us is right as we both have good reasoning.
    Have a good evening.

As I have the week off I thought I'd go shopping for some more jeans, one's that give me the fit I'm looking for. Off to Son of a Stagg I go after an unlucky visit to Levi's Vintage store just behind Carnaby St., WOW what a selection to choose from! Half to store from top to bottom is denim.

If they don't have a fit/style that will suit you I'd be very surprised. OK they aren't the £15 Tesco/aldi specials that some on here are stating as being just as good, but I'm a happy shopper with a bank balance a little bit lighter than I might have wanted. The staff were not in any way pushy like some of the stores I've visited, they really know the product range/styles and.

One pair to 'break in' and one very soft that both just need to lose the excess dye from.

Well worth a look/call if you're looking for a pair of jeans.

Fish

Thanks for the link, not too far from me. Which Uniqlo jeans did you go for and how much did they shrink after the initial wash?
    I went for these:

http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods...humbnailSelect

I haven't washed them yet though. They were a bit tight around my calves at first but have a small amount of give in them and are a lot better now.

APC use decent selvedge denim so cost £100 and are made in Europe.

Tesco jeans are made of crap denim in sweat shops.

There

I really like Diesel's Safado cut. They do them in many different denim styles and grades, with or without distressing, etc. I have two, quite different pairs (same cut, different finish), and they are superb.

On the more high end side of things, Rick Owens DRKSHDW jeans are really good.

And on the cheaper end, Gap's 1969 jeans are the most comfortable I've ever had. I've had a pair for over 10 years now, and they are like old jeans should be, worn and super comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post

There
    Knock yourself out son

http://www.mrporter.com/en-gb/mens/c...straight_jeans

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post

There
    APC are made in China. Sweatshops too no doubt.

APC are made in China. Sweatshops too no doubt.
    Haha quite right was thinking of Nudies. Anyway still can't top New Standards I reckon :)

Craftsman
    Can't go wrong with Levis. Try a few different styles to find out what works best for you. I always have a few different styles to hand for different situations.

I've also bought a pair of 1955 501's, which are nowhere near as cardboard like the selvedge of the Edwin's. On the other hand Edwin OWF Deluxe, which are just so super soft almost nothing like denim.

Fish

501 Waterless if you can find them. They tend to resist fading rather well if you soak them in a very salty solution prior to first wash. Can't abide those fast fading denims.

Journeyman
    Get yourself to Costco. They sell Levi 501s in dark and lighter blue for half the price than in the Levis shops.

I bought a pair of these a couple of weeks ago as a bit of a punt as I like the fit of their slim chinos:

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Polo+...efault,pd.html

The cut on them is really good, slim but not skinny. The denim is a good weight and the wash looks good in real life and not too artificial. It's a shame they have the paint splatters near the bottom of the leg but they aren't so noticeably on. Overall I'm very impressed. I imagine they are made in the same factory as their RRL ones which retail at about triple the price.

Grand Master
    I picked up new Tellasons yesterday so the process begins again. I hate the first year but love the results.
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Any updates from the Hiut wearers out there ? As good as they are , I am bit fed up with the Levi 511 , more so after looking at some of the awful options now available . So thinking about the Hiut slimR any thoughts ?

Grand Master
    A good pair of 12-15 oz will start to break after 30-40 wears with 15-18oz taking 60 or so to start. I have seen some legendary pairs at the social events around shore ditch but being a true denim geek is not healthy
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    Any updates from the Hiut wearers out there ? As good as they are , I am bit fed up with the Levi 511 , more so after looking at some of the awful options now available . So thinking about the Hiut slimR any thoughts ?
    Mine are coming up for their 6 month anniversary and even though they genuinely don't need a wash I really want to check out how good the fading is... got my Woolite Dark ready and waiting!!