closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DELETED

SPITFIRE MK 5b Cockpit Clock

DELETED

Jason

What a great piece of family history.

Spitfire Vb, did he fight in the Battle of Britain?

I live in the centre of a triangle of Battle of Britain airfields, Biggin Hill, Kenley and Croydon so I have always been interested in the historical aspect.

It would be great to get the clock up and running again.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

DELETED

Great story and clock, definitely worth fixing
    Gray

Grand Master
    Hello Jason,

Very interesting and very unusual! Thanks for sharing! :D

Do you happen to know something about its inner life, like a-magnetic second case, or the make of the movement?

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Nice clock, Jason. Used to own one myself. Almost certainly made by Smiths. What are the numbers on the dial ? Should be a serial number followed by a year. It looks like it may be 40, but I can't quite tell from the pic. And the back ?? Probably an Air Ministry crown and some other markings.

As for repair - do you know what's wrong with it ? Did it just stop or was it dropped, for example ? Is the mainspring fully wound ? If so, it's likely to be dirty and need a clean, or the balance staff is broken. Or does it just wind and wind ? In which case, the mainspring is either broken or detached from its arbor. If I were you I'd take it to a local clock repairer and show it to them. If they recognize what it is, then there's a fair chance they'll be capable of repairing it. Worth fixing, not only because of the family history, but also because these are fairly valuable/collectable (upwards of £150 for a complete working original example). A final note - it's nice to see one in original condition, with the paintwork not having been touched up :wink:

Cheers

Foggy

DELETED

Journeyman
    Jason,

Great clock and an interesting story. :D

I guess Foggy has hit the nail on the head. Take it to a good clock repairer to get it checked. I've got a clock or two that need sorting.

A Mk 5b, that staved off the main assault of the Nazi attacks on the UK in 1940, if I'm not mistaken? Along with the Hurricane (gun platform).

Fine aeroplane and fine men that flew it. :wink:

The mark Vb did not see action in the Battle of Britain. it was manufactured from 1941 . Sustained operations at high altitude meant exposure to for long periods in the intense cold, so additional heating for the guns became necessary. This was first type to be fitted with heating for guns. The mark V was realy the first true multi role Spitfire and as such was built in considerable numbers both for the Raf and a number Allied air forces including RAAF,USAAF and Soviet Air Forces. It was used for patrolling and fighting over varied distances, at all heights and in temperate and tropical zones .

Try Michael Allen in Birmingham ... his website address is http://www.michaelallenwatchmaker.co.uk ... he repairs all types of older watches and clocks and has large stocks of spares ... I used him after trying without success to find repairer in Peterborough to service some prewar watches ... but Michael reapaired ancient Cymas and grandfather's 1933 retirement gold watch ... and a colleague's Omega. He has a fairly good website but the pictures could be a bit better. I see you hail from Peterborough ... have you seen the overpriced Czech Air Force Longines for sale in Westgate Arcade ?

From Duncan in Peterborough
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Micael Allen also repairs WW2 military watches ... and and on his website states he has WW2 pilots as customers ... who still use their original service issue watches

Dunacn

DELETED

Hallo Jason, Yep ... at £900 plus the Czech Longines WW2 pilot watch will be there forever ... like some of the others he has !! But he is ok at replacing batteries !!

Duncan

Grand Master
    Just found this website on WWII Spitfire cockpit clocks, for anyone interested:

http://home.earthlink.net/%7efiredog46/spitfire.html

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

DELETED