closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Collector

Apprentice

New Collector

Hi Everyone.
    As you can see I am a new member on the forum and I am looking to learn more about watches and to expand my collection.
    At the moment I am wearing a Rolex Submariner 2011 model with ceramic bezel, and I am quite keen on Rolex GMT bruiser as well as Zenith El Primero range.
    Does anyone have any tips for me, where and what I can read up about to expand my knowledge on watches and "what makes them tick". I do have a couple of wristwatch annuals if that is a good starting point!
    Looking forward to a positive response.
    Mogo.

Welcome to the site! But you've forgotten one crucial thing; some photos of your sub! ;)

As for resources of where to find out more about watches; this forum itself is a useful one. Post a question and we'll see if we can answer it for you, if it hasn't been answered here already.

Other than that there are many watch blogs out there that are pretty popular. www.hodinkee.com www.ablogtowatch.com wornandwound.com and many more that are useful starting points.

Here's looking forward to seeing more of your posts.
    Last edited by ArghZombies; 10th June 2014 at 09:25.

Quote Originally Posted by ArghZombies View Post
    Welcome to the site! But you've forgotten one crucial thing; some photos of your sub! ;)

As for resources of where to find out more about watches; this forum itself is a useful one. Post a question and we'll see if we can answer it for you, if it hasn't been answered here already.

Other than that there are many watch blogs out there that are pretty popular. www.hodinkee.com www.ablogtowatch.com wornandwound.com and many more that are useful starting points.

Here's looking forward to seeing more of your posts.
    Echo these suggestions - also Prodigal Guide watches, and watchblog.dk, and for fun 'Watch Snob'

Master

Smile Welcome

Nice start to your collection

Quote Originally Posted by mogo View Post
    ...............Does anyone have any tips for me, where and what I can read up about to expand my knowledge on watches and "what makes them tick". I do have a couple of wristwatch
    Mogo.
    This video is invaluable.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQd-0...eature=related
    Ripping apart a cheap pocket watch is a good starting point to see how they work.
    The parts are bigger, so it is easlier to understand the workings.
    And bigger bits are less fragile, so it might work again when you try to put it back together.

Apprentice
    Thanks for your reply, will try and get a pic of sub up asap, have had a quick look at links you sent me. Will pursue further.

Journeyman

Vintage

Take a look at vintage watches and keep them in mind as you expand your collection
    Read and study as much as you can-even use Ebay as a resource for pictures, descriptions, and prices
    Good luck and Enjoy!

Grand Master
    I`m all for diversity in a collection. A lot of folks seem to end up with several steel divers/chronos that all tick a very similar box IMO. Older/vintage watches can be excellent value for money if you buy carefully, and there's lots of stuff to choose from.

My advice is to always buy the best example you can afford......and if you can`t afford a good example save your brass a while longer until you can. Trying to buy 'bargains' often ends in tears.

No collection is complete without at least one vintage gold watch and something in gold/steel.

Paul

Welcome Mogo.

Hang around here awhile - you'll learn lots. Try and keep your cash in your wallet for a while and you're more likely to make a decision that sticks.

Welcome aboard.

Hit the search function, you'll never know what info you'll learn.

Welcome to the forum.

Chris.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mogo View Post
    Hi Everyone.
    As you can see I am a new member on the forum and I am looking to learn more about watches and to expand my collection.
    At the moment I am wearing a Rolex Submariner 2011 model with ceramic bezel, and I am quite keen on Rolex GMT bruiser as well as Zenith El Primero range.
    Does anyone have any tips for me, where and what I can read up about to expand my knowledge on watches and "what makes them tick". I do have a couple of wristwatch annuals if that is a good starting point!
    Looking forward to a positive response.
    Mogo.
    Repeat this 10 times every morning: Quality is better than quantity.

Don't try to become an expert in a day. It won't happen. Enjoy the process. Find pieces and manufacturers that you like and research them. Window shop. Rolex is a nice brand but I have to tell you that wearing one does not indicate a deep knowledge of watches. There are some very fine and interesting watches out there that are not branded Rolex.

If you want to collect mechanical watches, remember that these are usually temperamental beasts and they need to be serviced once every 5 years. So, if you have 5 watches you can expect to pay for at least one service per year. Never forget that you can only wear one watch at a time.

Some people rotate watches while others wear the same watch most of the time and it becomes their signature piece, something that grows old along with the owner. What kind of watch wearer do you want to be? I prefer to wear one watch that to me makes the right kind of statement. It is kind of like monogamy. Find a great wife, marry her and forsake all others...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Repeat this 10 times every morning: Quality is better than quantity.

Don't try to become an expert in a day. It won't happen. Enjoy the process. Find pieces and manufacturers that you like and research them. Window shop. Rolex is a nice brand but I have to tell you that wearing one does not indicate a deep knowledge of watches. There are some very fine and interesting watches out there that are not branded Rolex.

If you want to collect mechanical watches, remember that these are usually temperamental beasts and they need to be serviced once every 5 years. So, if you have 5 watches you can expect to pay for at least one service per year. Never forget that you can only wear one watch at a time.

Some people rotate watches while others wear the same watch most of the time and it becomes their signature piece, something that grows old along with the owner. What kind of watch wearer do you want to be? I prefer to wear one watch that to me makes the right kind of statement. It is kind of like monogamy. Find a great wife, marry her and forsake all others...
    Welcome to the forum,Always buy what you like,not what you think should be liked.

Tony

Apprentice
    Hi Again,

Thanks for all your feedback again, don't have regular internet access and posting photos is an issue so with a helping hand from member and friend JC180 here are some pics of my sub

Hopefully the first of many (watches ;)

Craftsman

Smile

Welcome aboard Mogo,

Nice collection you have started, now the madness starts.

Hello my friend (Mogo and I go waaaay back) hang around and learn the ropes, its a great place to learn about watches and greatly enhances my horological life

Apprentice
    Ta. Just got hold of a couple of copies of wrist watch annuals, 2013 and 2014 as well as vintage watches 2014/15 so hopefully will pick up some useful info from that.
    Have a great day all

Hi and welcome.
    I hope you've got deep pockets, joining this site can (will) get expensive.

Apprentice

Smile Baselworld

Hi there, long time no activity from me, just been too busy with one thing and another!
    I am thinking of going to Baselworld 2015 to expand my horological knowledge.
    Has anyone got any advice for me on what I should be focusing on over there, whats best for a relatively new guy in the game etc?
    Thanks.
    Mogo

Apprentice

Daytona

Hi Jacob.
    Well done and congrats on the purchase of your 1st gold rolex, its a beautiful piece, enjoy it and wear it well.
    Looking forward to seeing it in real!