closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IOM new car record 2014

Master

IOM new car record 2014

An amazing drive:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/i...ord-2014-06-04

Not much in the way of video of this year’s record yet, but looking for it reminded me of this amazing bit of correction by the same driver a few years ago (from about 0:47):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfdgQSkiYIQ#t=56

Craftsman
    It was amazing to watch live but i must point out it was still slower than even the bleeding electric bikes !!!!!

It was great to watch - looked slow compared to Anstey though ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Fairly "sedate" after watching the Superbike monsters. I want that BMW S1000RR

To be honest. To actually ride, I'd prefer one of the Honda's - the BM might have won the races, but I doubt it would feel anywhere near as civilised - just like the road bike version!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    To be honest. To actually ride, I'd prefer one of the Honda's - the BM might have won the races, but I doubt it would feel anywhere near as civilised - just like the road bike version!
    You're right of course. If it's good enough for John then who am I to argue. MD does make it entertaining though.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I think it may depend upon the setting you choose:

When the dealer let me have a go of the S 1000RR the coding plug wasn't in and I was told only to use Sport mode. That was enough for me, but it was very tractable at low revs...and very exhilarating (or bloody frightening) when I opened her up (just a bit...public roads, you see). Not as comfortable as their lesser sports models, though.

Craftsman
    Of all the bikes I watched last week the Patton seemed to be the only one that struck a desire chord and boy did it sound good as well .

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I think it may depend upon the setting you choose:

When the dealer let me have a go of the S 1000RR the coding plug wasn't in and I was told only to use Sport mode. That was enough for me, but it was very tractable at low revs...and very exhilarating (or bloody frightening) when I opened her up (just a bit...public roads, you see). Not as comfortable as their lesser sports models, though.
    The S1000RR is a bit of a blunt instrument on the road - especially our uneven road surfaces - fast but a handful. Too many owners complaining to me about their bikes in the last few weeks lol - but for straightline power/speed - they have the advantage - maybe the semi-active versions are a lot better - but the standard bikes were awful, with any setting.

Master
    I'd forgotten about that. Unbelievable level of correction.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    I'd forgotten about that. Unbelievable level of correction.
    It’s incredible. So is the co-driver for remaining deadpan throughout.

Master
    For cars on the IoM, you can't beat this old classic. Skip to 2mins for the "Dear God" moment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxDz0...e_gdata_player

This is worth a watch too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzKnU...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by benny.c; 10th June 2014 at 23:19.

I think this is one of those things where they got the record because they're the only people who try for it! Compare to the Nordscheife where the fastest cars are considerably faster than the fastest bikes. But then we're talking Porsches, Corvettes, Nissans etc, not a tame Impreza.

I bet Ari and his co-driver still wake up sweating over that close shave. Bloody hell.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    I think this is one of those things where they got the record because they're the only people who try for it! Compare to the Nordscheife where the fastest cars are considerably faster than the fastest bikes. But then we're talking Porsches, Corvettes, Nissans etc, not a tame Impreza.
    Yes, part of it is lack of opportunity. Even the driver commented, after the recent record, that there was more time to be taken off even with the Impreza. What would go faster, though, on those undulating surfaces? A Pikes Peak type car?

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Yes, part of it is lack of opportunity. Even the driver commented, after the recent record, that there was more time to be taken off even with the Impreza. What would go faster, though, on those undulating surfaces? A Pikes Peak type car?
    Lots of cars would be faster over here - but Mark grew up here (went to school with him), and he knows the roads very well. His brother was/is a fairly quick driver too.

Journeyman
    Just got back myself. Car was a great sight but as everyone had said not a patch on the real spectacle. And zeros was good too. Just need a speaker with vroom noises on board