closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dive Computers

Master

Dive Computers

Hi guys, I'm in the market for a diving computer but not sure which model to go for or where to buy from. I am a PADI advanced diver and hoping to do my Nitrox course at some point in the near future. I also do a lot of free diving so a free diving log/function would be handy. Any recommendations please? Cheers :)

Ive only had 2, a Suunto gekko and now a Suunto Stinger, the Stinger is great, it does it all and is also small enough to wear as a normal watch when not diving, 2 timezone display is great when abroad to have local and home time displayed.... ( It has a freedive mode )
    Cheers..
    Jase

I'd recommend a D6i; seems to be the one that straddles mixed gas and apnea most effectively. Mike's currently has all Suunto dive computers knocked down...

Certainly, when I upgrade my Aladdin Pro, it's likely to be to a Suunto.

I’ll echo the D6i: I doubt you’d ever ‘outgrow’ one and Suunto after-sales is the benchmark for every manufacturer to aspire to.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

A few years back I had a Suunto Spyder which was stolen in Bali and then a Stinger that the insurance covered as the price had dropped

Sold the Stinger when I was posted a long way from the sea. Both computers were great, easy and intuitive to use and if I were to return to diving I would definitely be looking at a Suunto again.

Craftsman
    As others said Suunto are great.

I would spend a bit more and get the Stinger or D6i

I've got a Stinger and a D4. They're both brilliant for me but a lot of the (older) guys in my club complain about it being too small to read at depth and they prefer a bigger screen like the Vyper.

I've got a Suunto Solution Nitrox and a D4i, both good computers you can't go wrong with a Suunto.

Master
    I'd echo what others have said re Suunto. I've had a Stinger for years and it's served me well, and with a metal bracelet it's not even a bad looking watch. As mentioned it will do Air, Nitrox and free dives as well as having two time zones.
    What more do you need?

I would go Sunnto, Probably the D6i or the D4i/D4i Novo (bit cheaper and almost certainly all the computer you will ever need for "normal" diving) if you dont need it anytime soon Sunnto have done a free air integration upgrade around Christmas time so it might be worth the weight if you fancy the extra gadget. The Zoop is a good bet on a budget but off the top of my head doesnt have the free diving stuff the others have.

I have an old Aladin Pro, at least 15 years old I think, its good at what it does but doesn't really compare to the more modern stuff, quite out gunned really, I will be changing up later this year once I get a few other kit upgrades out the way probably to a D4i.

I would also check out what the battery change is like on the one that you choose.... Ive always gone to a AD for the cell change for piece of mind but it is usually pricey , £50 rings a bell, but there are kits on ebay which I will probably try next ( gasket, tool, cell )
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I've got Suunto Vyper 2... user replaceable battery, does the job very well, downloadable data log, built in compass etc

Master
    Thanks for the input guys, I've narrowed it down to either a Suunto Vyper Air, D4i, D6i (which is overkill for the kind of diving I do, but I like the metal body) or a Mares Matrix. The Mares appeals to me because of the rechargeable battery and full dot matrix screen, but it has no free dive mode, which is something I'd like to have.

I don't have a Suunto but should my trusty computer ever pack up I'll be buying a D6i, having air integration is a good upgrade option for the future and make sure its Nitrox compatible as well

Craftsman
    I got a D6I and can honestly say is a cracking dive computer, will suit all your needs and is watch size which is a bonus, unless your eyesight is not upto it.

Simply Scuba have a reduction off all Suunto dive computers, they have £150 knocked of the D6I and £250 off the DX

Rob

You haven't mentioned budget ;o)

Personally, once you've dived a computer with an OLED display, you wouldn't go back to LCD. Have a look at Shearwater or OSTC (on Deep Ideas web site). I'm in the Shearwater camp.

Master
    Just to update anyone interested, I ended up going for a D6i; they're only £495 at the moment. Took it diving to Turkey and it worked a treat. It's going to get a proper work out next year when I go to Egypt and Bali! Shame you can't change the strap :P

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Just to update anyone interested, I ended up going for a D6i; they're only £495 at the moment. Took it diving to Turkey and it worked a treat. It's going to get a proper work out next year when I go to Egypt and Bali! Shame you can't change the strap :P
    You can get a metal bracelet to replace the Elastomer strap. Or fit a pair of Tibby adapters and choose whatever you want. ;-)

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 17th July 2014 at 21:43.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Thanks Ralphy; will look into those adapters and finding a metal bracelet :) Just itching to use it again. Might have to pick your brains at some point regarding the best dive resorts in Egypt.