closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What an absolute Pillock!!

What an absolute Pillock!!

I am!!

I've been around guns for years but yesterday I managed to shoot myself!!

I bought this Crosmam 338 Co2 BB gun, I installed a cartridge and fired a few BBs off themn it vented the gas so I put another cart in, fired a few more, It didn't vent this time, I tipped the rest of the BBs outy of the gun and put it away for around two weeks..

I think the Crosman pistols have a magnet that holds a single steel BB in the breech so that it dioesn't 'roll' out of the barrel if pointed down, it never occurred to me at the time that there would be a BB still in ther breech (Or any gas still in!!)

I had something else on my mind when I fired the gun to see if the gas had all leaked out and broke the cardinal rule of shooting! Ie never point a gun at something that you don't intend to shoot!

Anyhow, the upshot is that I was at casualty until after 1.30 friday morning with a doc trying to dig out a 4.5mm steel BB (which he didn't manage!) and now I have to go in to theatre on monday morning to have it removed!

The pistol...

The punctured digit..

I've put this pic as a 'clickable link' in case anyone doesn't want to look at it!!

There's one thing, this will stop me from being so dopey when it comes to guns!, this has also made me think that having guns in the house is a bad thing!

I may have to get rid of my collection and buy a cartload of watches! They don't bite you!

I shan't be playing my guitar for a few weeks

John

Craftsman
    Ouch!!!!!

Ouch indeed!!!!

At least it was a BB gun and not a 12 bore :)

That looks sore, hope it heals quickly. Try not to catch MRSA whilst in hospital. At least it wasn't Friday night you did it - I've been up at the Northern at that time and it's just drunks who have been fighting and stupid pill heads :)

I wouldnt be be too hasty on ditching the munitions - I bet you a pound this will make you even more safety conscious than before!

Master
    Oh man you wont be picking anything with that anytime soon. Good luck in removing!

Blog Entries
    "I managed to shoot myself"

I thought I was reading a post from beyond the grave :D

And then read to understand that it was just your finger... Clicked the link (couldn't resisit) - that looks pretty nasty!!!

Get well soon fella and agree about trading your guns for watches, just becareful who you sell 'em to!

Master
    Hope it doesn't end up like this:-

Apologies to those who may be eating!

Mike

Master
    Sweet mother of God, why did I click that!!!

Blog Entries
    Ouch indeed.

Good shot though - got it dead centre.

z

You've made a right mess of that. You can dine out on the story of when you got shot for years.

Greetings from another pillock!

I did a very similar thing a few years back John.

Left index but luckily mine went in at more of an angle and they were able to cut it out in A&E. Bloody painful!

All the best on monday, no doubt it will be a relief to get it out.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Ahh it'll be fine!

But please give me first dibs on your collection when you sell up ;-) I have recently caught the bug and bought 2 rifles & 1 pistol in the last week!

My dad wants a "colt" or possibly a Luger style pellet gun

Blog Entries
    I love this thread!!

The title should be edited to include the words "I have shot myself" though.

Just so more can view!!!

Hope all is okay mate, looks a little bit sore!!!

Ouch. Those things are more powerful than I realised obviously.

Well, I'm afraid....

Get well soon!

Master
    Why was your hand anywhere near the end of the barrel? I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that if it's close enough to the skin the following rush of air can force air into the blood stream and be fatal. Or have I made that up?

Do you think you'd have been as careless if you'd been handling a 'real' gun? Eg. A 9mm pistol.

I'm very much a gun person but I'm glad this country has such strict gun laws and a ban on handguns. Far too much potential for accidents.

Every gun is ALWAYS loaded.
    So even if you know it isn't,you are conditioned to behave as though it is!
    After all you knew this one wasn't loaded, but I think your finger proves otherwise.

So DON'T point a gun at anything you don't want to see HOLES in.

Valuable lesson, I did the self same thing with a friends sons toy as I was sure it was out of BBs and I wanted to feel the blast of air, shot meself straight in the palm! Hurt like buggery it did, I was lucky plastic pellet didn't penetrate but the bruise was a beauty and it took a few days for the pain to subside.

That was a mix of contempt for the power of "toys" and gross stupidity on my part, and since that day I have been extra paranoid about keeping all guns pointing in safe directions, and checking they are clear each and every time I pick one up.

Hope all goes well with the pellet retrieval operation, and don't sell up, just learn from the mistake.

Sheeeeeeeesh John, but that looks seriously painful. Could have been much worse though...........

A lad I went to school lost an eye when a loaded pelet gun went off 'accidentaly'.

Hope all goes well on Monday.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post

There's one thing, this will stop me from being so dopey when it comes to guns!, this has also made me think that having guns in the house is a bad thing!

I may have to get rid of my collection and buy a cartload of watches! They don't bite you!

Do it! Get rid of them.

It takes a bigger man to realise that accidents can happen no matter how careful you are and how much you think you know about guns, and that keeping guns in the house just isn't a good idea and that no good will come of it.

You might feel bad now, but just imagine how much worse you would feel if you accidently shot someone else? A child for example?

Time to 'man up' and let them go.

Master
    Bet it's smarting today - good luck on Monday in the OR.

Can't help but feel the horse has already bolted with any advice about weapon handling in this thread!

Never used a BB gun, but being in the military regularly shoot Browning and just about to convert to the Glock. My fingers won't be anywhere near the end of the barrel!

Quote Originally Posted by ratty View Post
    Every gun is ALWAYS loaded.
    ....don't sell up, just learn from the mistake.
    Right on both counts.

OP - you should maybe have sold up before you done gone shot yourself but I'm pretty sure you'll be safer from now on.

Lesson learned that even a BB gun is a gun and the consequences of mistakes with guns are serious. Thanks for posting the story - I wouldn't have!

Reading negligent discharge stories is the most effective way to sharpen up your gun safety awareness, second only to actually shooting yourself of course.

Top tip! Buy a bullet proof vest, ( extra large best) and with careful cutting and sewing you can make hundreds of bullet proof finger stalls, Keep ten for yourself and sell the rest to cover costs, Should anyone point a gun at you Do not take any risks, just hold either hand out in front of you.

Ouch! Hope all goes well on Monday, in a meantime if you need to change bandage you can get surgical spirit and sterile gauze from Boots. If you feel it hurts more then usual or feels really warm I'd strongly advise going to A&E just in case.
    Get well soon, we will keep our fingers crossed for you
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    And there was me thinking I was the only buffoon around here.

Good luck on Monday.

Many years ago when I was a boy, I was down the farm having some practice with an old air rifle, shooting paint tins, drinks cans, that sort of thing. Annoyed by having to keep walking over to pick them up, I decided to set up a wooden plank and shoot at a prominent knot in the wood. I fired off a couple of shots and was again annoyed to see that the pellets hadn't stuck in the wood. I stood back, the end of the barrel about a metre from the solid knot... and fired! The pellet instantly screeched past my right ear, I felt it move the hairs on the outside of my ear. I stopped pissing around after that.

That looks pretty sore!!! Lesson well and truly learnt!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    god that looks painful, maybe they could leave it in there, and it could be a story to tell the grand children, you know, about that bit of shrapnel back in Nam, fun at airport scanners and all that.

Have you tried a bloody strong magnet to get it out?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Banned
    Blog Entries
    how your finger felt after being shot......

Much WoW
    Last edited by soundood; 7th June 2014 at 14:38.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Have you tried a bloody strong magnet to get it out?
    Send him for an MRI scan...!

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Ha ha!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    He might get shot again! Twice with one pellet.......... :eek:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post

Much WoW
    Genius!

(photo below for those who cant follow the link, and to hell with the squeamish!)

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post

Much WoW

Ha ha ha!! That's great!!

Regarding the pain, It doesn't actually hurt at all for some reason unless I grab something with all my fingers tightly!!

Also strange is that there wasn't any pain when I did the daft deed!! (I hope it is my finger and not someone elses!!)

I was thinking about something else and in my mind the gun was empty of gas and BBs, I opened the lid of the reservoir that is filled with BBs but there must be a magnet that holds one in place to be shot!!

Also, The first cart that I put in vented and left a small amount of gas in that leaked out overnight, I place the new one in, it didn't vent but at two weeks later I thought it would have been empty! (Wrong on both counts!!)..

Another mistake that I made that caused me injury was when I drilled a piece of bronze in my lathe as a crude bearing, as soon as I centre drilled the hole I tried the steel shaft, the bearing shrank on to the cold shaft, I gave it a pull and it came free, i'd left the new 3/8" drill dit in the tailstock, my wrist ran straight down it and I was left with a gash down my wrist that for some reason didn't bleed!!- Never did it again though (y)

Also left the chuck key in once and upon startup it went across the garage like a bullet!! never left the chuck key in since either!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Genius!

(photo below for those who cant follow the link, and to hell with the squeamish!)

PMSL :))
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Red face

I wasn't sure whether the BB was still in my finger or whether it had bounced off!

A search of the room didn't turn it up so I had a bright idea, I have a cheapo metal detector and tried that! As i've never used it and didn't know what the hell I was doing, I was no wiser!! I also tried a magnet but there was no attraction either!

The Xray at hospital showed it up as clear as anything though!!

We have a Magnet at work that has picked up 35tonnes in the past, I was almost tempted to nip in and get one of the lads to lower it and see if it would pull it back out of the hole, didn't bother though even though I went past it to the 'Ospital!!

John

Also left the chuck key in once and upon startup it went across the garage like a bullet!! never left the chuck key in since either!!

John
    It's funny (not) how often we come close to death or maiming over time.

Years ago I had removed a strut from a Ford. The compressor came loose (it was hired) and the spring went across the garage like a bullet.

Fortunately no one was in the way.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Flippin heck that looks like it is smarting a bit........

Lucky it wasn't your hole finger!

Ha ha ha!!

There's surprisingly little pain, most of the time I forget I have a hole in my finger and a BB inside until I pick something up!!

I picked up a large Bonsai tree that was going in a display today and forgot, when IO grabbed and lifted, I almost dropped the lot!!

The worst thing is I keep picking mu guitar up then remembering that the dressing mutes most of the strings- There's no pain in the tip of the finger at all!!

I also wash my hands a lot and forget so it's usually soaked!!!

John

Get yourself finger cots, great little invention

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Amazed to hear that bad boy doesn't hurt all that much. Hope the surgery goes well and well done for telling us about it.

Yes Crossman do have a magnet that holds the BB in - how do I know ? I have had a BB in my hand for 30 years now - fortunately I put my hand up or it could have been in my eye !

I wasn't sure whether the BB was still in my finger or whether it had bounced off!

A search of the room didn't turn it up so I had a bright idea, I have a cheapo metal detector and tried that! As i've never used it and didn't know what the hell I was doing, I was no wiser!! I also tried a magnet but there was no attraction either!

The Xray at hospital showed it up as clear as anything though!!

We have a Magnet at work that has picked up 35tonnes in the past, I was almost tempted to nip in and get one of the lads to lower it and see if it would pull it back out of the hole, didn't bother though even though I went past it to the 'Ospital!!

John
    Are they stainless? Might explain the lack of reaction to a small magnet... but a 35 tonne magnetic crane would shift it ;)

Ouch indeed!! Plastic BBs sting but that's a whole new level! Hope it heals quickly.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meinessex View Post
    Do it! Get rid of them.

It takes a bigger man to realise that accidents can happen no matter how careful you are and how much you think you know about guns, and that keeping guns in the house just isn't a good idea and that no good will come of it.

You might feel bad now, but just imagine how much worse you would feel if you accidently shot someone else? A child for example?

Time to 'man up' and let them go.
    OMG...

Have you still got a kitchen or have you gotten rid of that too?
    How about a car?