closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega 1583 movement - swapping for eta 255.461? Straight swap or not?

Apprentice

Omega 1583 movement - swapping for eta 255.461? Straight swap or not?

Hi folks, this is my first post do I'd just like to say hello.

I have a quartz omega seamaster pro with a movement that gas seen better days.
    Omega have quoted me over £700 to replace or repair the movement and I just wondered if I could just swap over the cal 1538 with the eta equivalent - which I think is the 255.461. All I would interchange is the coil protector as the original has the omega logo.

Does anyone know if this is possible? The eta is only £87 plus vat so it's a massive saving and I just want the watch working again

Cheers all

Yes, you should be able to swap bits over without issue. The ETA versions won't be decorated or rhodium plated though so you would need to mention this if you decide to sell.

What exactly is wrong with your movement? It must be badly damaged for Omega to quote £700 for a quartz movement!

Apprentice
    Something to do with the top plate being bent. You can't set the time, date or anything. I think they are just having a laugh at that price and I'm trade as well! The part to replace is a omega restricted part. It's easier just to swap them over like for like.

Grand Master
    Unless the mainplate is distorted.....and I can`t think how this could happen.......surely the movement should be repairable? I`ve had problems with the hand-setting on these before but always been able to sort the problem with new parts.

Provided the circuit's OK I'd be surprised if this can`t be fixed. It seems crazy, but circuits aren`t supplied separately.

I`m not volunteering to fix this, but I`d definitely approach an independent to get a second opinion.

As for fitting a 255.461, I think the hand-height is different and some parts would need swapping over. It's do-able but there's work involved.......I did this on a pre-Bond Seamaster a couple of years ago but I can`t remember the details.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 5th June 2014 at 00:38.

Apprentice
    I think you have the numbers round the wrong way. Do you have Omega 1538? This is a straight swap with ETA 255.461. The standard height movement is correct. The movement can be repaired but if the movement is very old then sometimes it makes life easier to change the whole movement and therefore decrease the risk of the circuit or another crucial part breaking after the repair. That quote from omega is... rather high ;-p

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by GleaveandCo View Post
    I think you have the numbers round the wrong way. Do you have Omega 1538? This is a straight swap with ETA 255.461. The standard height movement is correct. The movement can be repaired but if the movement is very old then sometimes it makes life easier to change the whole movement and therefore decrease the risk of the circuit or another crucial part breaking after the repair. That quote from omega is... rather high ;-p
    Sorry it should be a 1538. Ive been to an indy and he said the parts we need are restricted Omega parts. I also asked him if the ETA would be a straight swap and he said no. I then asked a friend who deal in Omega watches and he said its not a problem the dial feet are in the same place, cannon pinion height is the same etc. Thats why I was a little confused.