closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: "Issued" watches?

"Issued" watches?

Very simple question really about this whole thing of "Military Issue". Are there any military units/personnel that are (or have been) actually issued a specific watch (or watch type) that they are expected to use as part of their equipment?
    I know that some of the Sinn EZM's are/were allegedly official wear for some of the GSG-9 & ZUZ/ZTZ in Germany. Any others that are/were a "must wear"? Divers, Pilots, anyone?

Grand Master

Re: "Issued" watches?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD
    I know that some of the Sinn EZM's are/were allegedly official wear for some of the GSG-9 & ZUZ/ZTZ in Germany. Any others that are/were a "must wear"? Divers, Pilots, anyone?
    I know of many officially issued watches, but not of a single "must wear" policy, not even in the examples cited by you.

Best candidate for a "must wear" policy is likely the Speedy Pro for EVA, but even there I am not sure to what extent the wearing of a watch during EVA is compulsory.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Craftsman

Re: "Issued" watches?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD
    Very simple question really about this whole thing of "Military Issue". Are there any military units/personnel that are (or have been) actually issued a specific watch (or watch type) that they are expected to use as part of their equipment?
    I suppose the Kampfschwimmer units of WW11, a watch with no markings the Radiomir.
    Built for a specific use and used only in underwater missions.
    Also the inspiration for Eddies Italian

Journeyman

Military Issue

I've always been a bit suss about the whole 'issue watch' business. During my time in the Royal Navy during the eighties and early nineties there were issued watches generally available but they were mostly treated as consumables by those to whom they were issued, probably why there aren't too many clean examples around. The Seiko chronograph which I was issued with as a navigating officer is a good example as many of the Fleet Air Arm aircrew I knew were wearing non issued watches almost as a fashion statement. Also many clearance divers and Royal Marines and others I came into contact with on a regular basis were wearing their own purchased watches, G-shocks in particular, in preference to the available issued divers watches.

I'm sure that many military agencies are the same.

None of this however detracts from the fact that I just like the tool like nature of good quality military issued watches. :)

The B-Uhr?

James Dowling's website says this about the B-Uhrs:

These watches were not ?issued? in the same way as in the Allied air forces, rather a Navigator would be supplied with one prior to a raid and it would be returned to the stores after the mission was de-briefed.
    If so, that seems quite close to the concept of an "issued" watch in the sense of a watch "stipulated" (as opposed to merely "authorised" or "approved") for use in a specific context. And of course, it appears that they were certainly not available for use outside of that context, so one wouldn't sit in the pub (or estaminet) and say (as WIS do) "Hey, look at that geezer with a dinner plate strapped to his wrist. I bet he's a bomber navigator."

Kamraj

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    The B-Uhrs were what the US military calls "unit property," these items are maintained by the unit, and are returned to unit supply after use.

The MIL-W-5492, Watch Pocket, Navigational, Master (AN5740) and the MIL-W-5605, Watch, Stop, Pocket, DTU-10/P Navigational, Master Time (AN5742) were unit property and there was one for each aircraft (and a few spares.) This is why there were required to be turned in after each flight, not because the Bombadiers and Navigators were likely to break them, but because these were part of the aircraft's equipment, just like the radios, bombsight and the guns.

I am certain the Germans had similar reasons for requiring them to be turned in.

Usually, wrist watches are classed as "Individual Issue," meaning that these items are issued once and the individual is responsible for maintaining* it. Other such items are flight suits, flight helmets, safety boots, etc. These items are usually only returned to supply when the individual leaves the service.

There is also a class of items we call "Unit issue," These items are owned by the unit but given to the individual to be maintained by him/her until they leave the unit, then it is returned to supply.

Craftsman
    French Navy (Marine National) : in past Blancpain FF (build for them), Rolex Tudor (many version start with the first shoulderless and Bigcrown, 5513, and Tudor Sub...), Beuchat 1000M, LeForban, Airin -Dodane 1000m Spirotechnique (Auricoste, TAG, TAG Heuer.....), Trition, ZRC grand Fond..... and Now G-Shock DW-9000 and DW-9057

Air Force : Type 20/21 Chronograph (Breguet build by Mathey-Tissot, Auricoste, Vixa (Hanhart parts and Timex Labor) Dodane (DoD, Airin, Airain, Chronofix, Chronofixe, Dodane), Yema Superman 999ft (dive watch for Jet pilot , Air crew and some Air commando), Yema Quartz Chronograph replace by Breitling Quartz chronograph Pluton, Yema Navigraph (Quartz Dive watch), and Now G-Shock Frogman

Army : JM Binachi quartz dive watch ( the watchmaker of cousteau team and the seller of the aquastar and Omega..... to us), Type 20 Chronograph for ALAT ( Helicopter units of the Army)......

Dynamo

Master
    the seiko chronograph for the RAF helicopter pilots (Gen I/II)
    i heard about it beeing issued also to the japanese and israeli airforce..
    you know more about that, crusader?
    here my generation II (civilian) version:

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkuere
    you know more about that, crusader?
    This i sthe first I heard about it. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")