closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Is My Dad's Rolex Worth

Craftsman

How Much Is My Dad's Rolex Worth

Hi everyone,

I was in Glasgow's Argyle Arcade today with my dad and we decided to have a look at the Rolex watches in Laings. To our surprise, my dad's watch was in the window and priced new at £8600.

He bought the very same watch (unless anyone can advise me of any differences between the 2014 model and my dad's) around 20 years ago in a private sale for around £1200 (edited: it was actually £3600). It was last serviced about 4 years ago but has been faultless throughout his ownership. It's still in excellent condition, and although I'm no expert, there's probably some stretch in the bracelet but certainly no scratches or marks to the watch itself or anything of that nature.

Given the age of my dad's watch, what would he be likely to achieve in a private sale or indeed, as a trade in?

Picture of the watch in question below:

Thanks,

Martin
    Last edited by MTM84; 10th July 2022 at 18:04.

Blog Entries
    Carnt help with value but may help if you put some photos of the actual watch

Any paperwork or box?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Post some pics of the watch, add some info because if you can't be bothered, I won't either!.

Craftsman
    Hi, I don't have any pictures at present - I will try to get some up the next time I'm over at my parents' house. In the meantime, any info based on a clean well looked after watch would be great. It's for our own knowledge as opposed to him wanting to sell at this time.

He has the Rolex box and the full set of papers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Post some pics of the watch, add some info because if you can't be bothered, I won't either!.

How ignorant.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    How ignorant.
    Yup. You'll get used to it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Yup. You'll get used to it.
    Ha ha, right on time, look you tried being vindictive last time and ended up on the naughty step for a week, why bother again?........... Bitterness? :-))

Craftsman
    Staying on topic, I have managed to find one picture taken earlier this year - not great quality but better than nothing at this stage:

Are you looking for a ballpark valuation or a formal one for e.g. Insurance purposes? I'm based south of Glasgow and can give you details of a decent independent jeweller who may be able to help? PM if interested.

Craftsman
    Hi Matt, that's good of you thanks but it's literally just a ball park figure. We were shocked at the price new today and it got us talking about what my dad's could be worth in a private sale or a trade in.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Ha ha, right on time, look you tried being vindictive last time and ended up on the naughty step for a week, why bother again?........... Bitterness? :-))
    Ah the fourth "naughty step" reference in as many replies.

Somebody made a comment about your behaviour. I agreed. Simple as that.

If you're going to be rude to people at least grow yourself a thicker skin - its entirely possible you'll be criticised for your rudeness...

Presumably you'll want the last word - continue...

Moving on...

Hi Matt, that's good of you thanks but it's literally just a ball park figure. We were shocked at the price new today and it got us talking about what my dad's could be worth in a private sale or a trade in.
    If it was a Sub it'd be easier to be more accurate, not an expert on Datejusts, but a bimetal with diamond dial would be ballpark £3-4Kish I'd imagine based on condition, paperwork etc. Check out sites such as Blowers jewellers, www.watches.co.uk, Watchfinder who all have reasonable used Rolex stocks for more info.

Craftsman
    The same watch from 1988 is being sold by Blowers for £3750 so you'd be looking at £3,000 - £3,300 for your Dads watch I'd say.

Banned
    That must be a nice little surpise for your dad whether he plans to sell or not, knowing somethings gone up in value like that is great news.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Osian85 View Post
    That must be a nice little surpise for your dad whether he plans to sell or not, knowing somethings gone up in value like that is great news.
    Everyone who bought a Rolex 20 years ago is in the same situation though as price increases have been across the whole line. Also £1200 20 years ago is about £2200 in todays money.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Osian85 View Post
    Absolutely, it was more of a shock to see what Rolex are charging today!

Are the above prices trade-in or is this typically what to expect in a private sale?

Craftsman
    Trade in and private sale will be about the same. It's worth what it's worth. Rolex are very stable in their value due to their popularity and the huge used market.

Are the above prices trade-in or is this typically what to expect in a private sale?

Have you not noticed how much things are now compared to twenty years ago, have look at cars.

Craftsman
    if you were in Laings you could ask them. But I would suggest you should also pop upstairs to Tom Coll in the Arcade and see what he says.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gusmac View Post
    if you were in Laings you could ask them. But I would suggest you should also pop upstairs to Tom Coll in the Arcade and see what he says.
    Thanks Gus, much appreciated. I may well take it in for a valuation the next time I'm in town. Cheers.

Martin

Banned
    I doubt you'd get that much for it. £2,500 or so would be my estimate.

Box/papers?

Is the dial genuine - there are lots of aftermarket dials

condition - especially the bi metal strap.

Assuming it's a genuine dial and looking at it I was say a dealer might offer £2500. Sold privately you might get £3300, however personally that dial is a bit marmite - would look so much better with a blue dial (IMHO)

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Yes, box and papers all there. Thanks for your input.

Master
    I'd imagine the watch in the op would probably be available at a discount

Just for fun, my initial guess was going to be c. £3k for a private sale if the condition is good - but I am cetainly no expert!

Master

The watch in the window is updated though. The new bracelet has all-solid links, not hollow like your dads, and a new hidden clasp. Movement is also a newer version, I'd guess your dads is a 3035, newer ones have 3135.

Nice watch though, has it ever been serviced? That would affect price. I'd say its worth between £2000-£2500.

It was last serviced about 4 years ago
    He has the Rolex box and the full set of papers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Box/papers?
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    has it ever been serviced?
    Do people ever actually read what the OP has said before jumping in with their opinions? Sigh!

Journeyman
    Thoughts on TT not being as desirable as SS these days?
    Friend of mine was recently offered 1800 by dealer for a very nice SS datejust with silver dial and gold bezel, boxed and papers.
    I'd say they TT with diamond dial, which may limit the appeal and resale, would be around the same if a dealer was purchasing, as it may be harder to sell and hang around for longer...

£2000 - £2500 would be my estimate.

TT are hard to shift.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

TT are hard to shift.
    I'd take it for £2k right now!

I've seen these at £3.5k in dealers but could easily be lower than that privately.

Grand Master
    TT watches sell easily IF they're in good condition........sadly a lot aren`t. Lots of poor examples around.

Bracelets are the big problem; if it's very worn/stretched it ruins the watch, and no-one wants to shell out for a replacement because they 're stupid money.

Without seeing the OP's watch it's hard to value it. Bracelet and bezel condition will have a major bearing. Box and papers are nice to have, but condition of the watch is far more important.

Paul

Journeyman
    Lack of box and papers can knock up to £500 off the price.....

Stretched bracelet can be rebuilt, but for a price and if it's a bad stretch it won't be same as new...I had a SS oyster rebuild in HK for not much more than 100 USD and it was a very neat job, but in UK you'd pay lot more....

I'd pay £2500 for a nice TT with a champagne dial, no diamonds, with box and papers. Dealers will charge much more, basically what they can get away with....

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

TT are hard to shift.
    On here maybe, but in the outside world there’s not much of a problem. IME. ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Thanks for your thoughts guys. Just out of interest, why does there seem to be so much enthusiasm towards the likes of the submariner when compared to the likes of the watch in my original post. I guess it's subjective but when I compared them both in the window I thought that the oyster perpetual really looked special in comparison...but then it cost a hell of a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Do people ever actually read what the OP has said before jumping in with their opinions? Sigh!
    Sadly not, happens a lot on forums, it's easier to bulldoze in on a thread, give an opinion and be ignorant of the generally discussion.

Journeyman
    What is it with Dads and Rolexes?

Heres me dads, think he bought it in the early 80s

Quote Originally Posted by pandaballs View Post

WOW! I love it, great watch, thanks for posting the picture. The OP did post about a DateJust though, the day date is really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    TT watches sell easily IF they're in good condition........sadly a lot aren`t. Lots of poor examples around.

Bracelets are the big problem; if it's very worn/stretched it ruins the watch, and no-one wants to shell out for a replacement because they 're stupid money.

Without seeing the OP's watch it's hard to value it. Bracelet and bezel condition will have a major bearing. Box and papers are nice to have, but condition of the watch is far more important.

Paul
    Good point which I didn't address when I gave my estimate.

The gold links do wear and as you say .....very expensive to get fixed/replaced.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    WOW! I love it, great watch, thanks for posting the picture. The OP did post about a DateJust though, the day date is really nice.
    Thank you.
    Tbh, I don't get gold Rolexes...kinda look dated (no pun intended).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pandaballs View Post

Beautiful - I'm a big fan of the day/date

Craftsman
    Hi folks,

I was wondering where prices have gone on this particular watch now. I last posted on this thread back in 2014 and would appreciate anyone's input 8 years on. Thanks,

Martin

What estimates have you come up with based on your online research?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    If it was a Sub it'd be easier to be more accurate, not an expert on Datejusts, but a bimetal with diamond dial would be ballpark xxxx I'd imagine based on condition, paperwork etc. Check out sites such as Blowers jewellers, www.watches.co.uk, Watchfinder who all have reasonable used Rolex stocks for more info.
    This still applies nearly 10 years later!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I got my dad a 16710 from here about 10 years ago…paid about £3.5k…goes without saying he’s reasonably happy with the return on investment!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    This still applies nearly 10 years later!
    Can only see the same model on Watch Finder; a 1988 model with no papers for around £6.2k. How accurate that is I don't know.

Blog Entries
    Can only see the same model on Watch Finder; a 1988 model with no papers for around £6.2k. How accurate that is I don't know.
    You could ask for a quote from WF - what they buy for and what they sell at are quite a margin (like any business). I would think all Rolex have increased in value over 8 years. By how much depends on desirability (market forces etc). Steel has gone up much more than TT (subjective view). And TT DJ are not in same area as Submariner or others.

Case in point - this is what I sold my SubND for in 2015 here. I couldn't sell even at MRP: SOLD: Rolex 114060 (2014) - Sub NDc - revised. Valued at £5,000 sold for £3,900 ::gasp::
    I don't need to tell you what they sell for now but it's a lot more!

If you really want a true value - take it for valuation by a professional. You may want to get your house insurance updated while you're at it.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 9th July 2022 at 07:04.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

If I became aware that my family were pricing my inventory ... after all, where there's a Will, there's a way.

Wow, nothing at all like the one in Liangs.