closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Much Is My Dad's Rolex Worth

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Wow, nothing at all like the one in Liangs.
    Thanks for that lol

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    You could ask for a quote from WF - what they buy for and what they sell at are quite a margin (like any business). I would think all Rolex have increased in value over 8 years. By how much depends on desirability (market forces etc). Steel has gone up much more than TT (subjective view). And TT DJ are not in same area as Submariner or others.

Case in point - this is what I sold my SubND for in 2015 here. I couldn't sell even at MRP: SOLD: Rolex 114060 (2014) - Sub NDc - revised. Valued at £5,000 sold for £3,900 ::gasp::
    I don't need to tell you what they sell for now but it's a lot more!

If you really want a true value - take it for valuation by a professional. You may want to get your house insurance updated while you're at it.
    Good advice - thanks.

I am guessing that this is a Datejust reference 16233 from the 90s. If so then Miltonaires have one very similar up for sale at £5999 (includes box and papers). That should give you an approximate replacement value for insurance purposes........assuming that is what you are looking for.

Craftsman
    Thanks Woody.

I actually located the box and papers and everything else my dad received at the time of purchase. It was bought in 1994 and cost £3596 which is around £6k in today's money.

This will never be sold but here's a pic for the Rolex lovers...

Edited to add, it was purchased from STRANG The Jeweller. Will need to see if they still trade.
    Last edited by MTM84; 10th July 2022 at 18:06.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    I am guessing that this is a Datejust reference 16233 from the 90s. If so then Miltonaires have one very similar up for sale at £5999 (includes box and papers). That should give you an approximate replacement value for insurance purposes........assuming that is what you are looking for.
    Just looked at the box and it is indeed a 16233.

Is there any way I can work out the date it was manufactured as I believe my dad bought it second hand.

Above the reference number is 07-01-014 if that means anything?

Underneath is written something like 'chdiadial' if that makes any sense to anyone?

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/service...lery-valuation. ... and the valuation fee is reasonable and the valuation document will include a photo of the watch ... will require sending away by Goldsmiths to their Safeguard valuer

Expect to pay for an official valuation wherever you seek same .. Goldsmiths valuation service is more £reasonable than most valuers as it's a fixed fee & not based on a % of actual value.

Rolex serial number is on the side of case between the lugs at 6 o' clock position ... remove bracelet to access ... It's also on the original papers ... SN can be cross referenced to charts showing year of manufacture https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-serial-numbers

... original date of sale can be up to a few years after the YOM
    Last edited by sundial; 10th July 2022 at 21:21.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/service...lery-valuation. ... and the valuation fee is reasonable and the valuation document will include a photo of the watch ... will require sending away by Goldsmiths to their Safeguard valuer

Expect to pay for an official valuation wherever you seek same .. Goldsmiths valuation service is more £reasonable than most valuers as it's a fixed fee & not based on a % of actual value.
    Thanks for this. Any idea what the fixed fee is?

You could call them up and ask. And get a couple of estimates to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    Thanks for this. Any idea what the fixed fee is?
    Please consider phoning and asking ... all the foregoing is easily discovered via a few Google searches ... you could use some initiative and find out yourself ?? It's not rocket science ... and does not take very long ... And please do not say I'm being rude

Also ... try Chrono24 and compare sales prices

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Please consider phoning and asking ... all the foregoing is easily discovered via a few Google searches ... you could use some initiative and find out yourself ?? It's not rocket science ... and does not take very long ... And please do not say I'm being rude

Also ... try Chrono24 and compare sales prices
    You replied with an apparently helpful post, I followed up in relation to that post and you post that? If we were standing chatting about this would you tell me to go and google it? Strange behaviour.

There's a wealth of watch-related knowledge on here and sometimes its nice to reach out to the people on here who live and breathe watches, as well as those who simply know more than most. If, by not researching or Googling certain things first, you feel so aggrieved, why not leave the thread to the people who are happy to help out?

Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    You replied with an apparently helpful post, I followed up in relation to that post and you post that? If we were standing chatting about this would you tell me to go and google it? Strange behaviour.

There's a wealth of watch-related knowledge on here and sometimes its nice to reach out to the people on here who live and breathe watches, as well as those who simply know more than most. If, by not researching or Googling certain things first, you feel so aggrieved, why not leave the thread to the people who are happy to help out?
    i'd suggest you phone your local Goldsmiths yourself ... obtain valuation figure 'straight from the horse's mouth' ... you've been given clues / advice on how to proceed. ... I cannot phone your local Goldsmiths for you
    Last edited by sundial; 10th July 2022 at 22:16.