closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Has the New Sea-Dweller Hype Faded Yet?

Master

Has the New Sea-Dweller Hype Faded Yet?

Everyone that wants one, got one? Or have the grey dealers pushed prices up?

Craftsman
    What hype, there is not really a waitinglist to speak of, so not much profit to gain for grey market I guess.

Seems Rolex has released enough for their not to be a supply-demand mismatch.

Journeyman
    All Rolex hype is now pre and not post Basel.

I think we all know they will be in the window, like everything else, come September.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Seems Rolex has released enough for their not to be a supply-demand mismatch.
    Blowers have one for sale @ £7900 gulp

It seems to me that supply has been such that any premiums have shortened very quickly, certainly from people who actually want to move them on quickly.

Blog Entries
    Ill be waiting a while to buy mine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
    I had a message from my local AD today:-

"We have a new Sea Dweller in stock, please call us to discuss"

When I spoke with them a few weeks back, they said to expect a call in October...

Hype is the right word; imho, if someone is willing to pay a premium, they haven't done their research or called around.

I haven't sensed much hype myself. Its a nice watch, but can someone tell me why this is a truly exciting new watch from Rolex compared to, say, a sub? Not hating, just wondering :)

Has the New Sea-Dweller Hype Faded Yet?

It can go deeper, after DSSD this is a smaller version. Date and no cyclops. Heritage back to the old SD.

Grand Master
    Lets face it fellas they are all great you just can't beat a Sub of any variety, for me its all about simplicity (They say watches are like their owners)
    RIAC

The hype never reached here.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I'm slightly surprised at the lack of hype actually - this combined with the almost instant availability of the new model makes me wonder if somehow we are all getting a bit bored with the new models and price structure?

This.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I'm slightly surprised at the lack of hype actually - this combined with the almost instant availability of the new model makes me wonder if somehow we are all getting a bit bored with the new models and price structure?
    People bought the BLNR hype a year ago, but there is a limited number of people who can afford a new Rolex on a yearly basis at today's prices.

Assuming this notional buyer already has a ceramic Sub, there really isn't enough to justify the SD too.

For me I would opt for the Sub Date over the SDc as I do not swim or dive. Difference would be over £1000 saving and the addition of a cyclops. If I opted for the Sub no-date, an even greater saving for a watch that looks very similar. But this does not mean I do not like the SDc.

Let's just say it's nowhere near the hype generated when they discontinued the old model! There were endless posts around the old models disappearance and all the arguments for and against the DSSD - then a brand new SD appears and the response is 'meh'. I'm generally curious why there been so little discussion around this new model - personally having an old style LV I don't feel the need for another sub variant but I'm in a minority surely? Or has the fact they cost as much as a (decent) small car now rather dulled the excitement over a 3 handed watch that is largely the same as the rest of a (rapidly growing) range?

Quote Originally Posted by jayleb View Post
    I haven't sensed much hype myself. Its a nice watch, but can someone tell me why this is a truly exciting new watch from Rolex compared to, say, a sub? Not hating, just wondering :)
    You haven't sensed much hype? Do a search on the number of threads posted here about it!

It answers a lot of questions that the punters seem to have.

Want date, don't like cyclops.
    DSSD too big.
    Depth rating better than Sub (for pub rights).
    Adds Ceramic bezel and decent bracelet improving on 16600.
    60min markers look Milsub-like.
    'Sea-Dweller' is the iconic name.

As I've said before, if I didn't already have a Rolex diver, this would make a perfect one size fits all.

Journeyman
    I think there's no big deal with this SD.
    Maybve it will only push up prices on the old one.
    Price is abovethe clouds and quantity is not a problem.

Master
    Let's just say it's nowhere near the hype generated when they discontinued the old model! There were endless posts around the old models disappearance and all the arguments for and against the DSSD - then a brand new SD appears and the response is 'meh'. I'm generally curious why there been so little discussion around this new model - personally having an old style LV I don't feel the need for another sub variant but I'm in a minority surely? Or has the fact they cost as much as a (decent) small car now rather dulled the excitement over a 3 handed watch that is largely the same as the rest of a (rapidly growing) range?
    There's been a fair bit of chat about it but it is the last of the old models to be updated so what they did with it hasn't exactly come as a surprise.

Ceramic Bezel? Tick.
    Upgraded bracelet and clasp? Tick.
    Chunkier case? Tick.
    Maxi Dial? Tick
    Double the price? Tick.

There's only so much you can talk about a matt dial, 60-second bezel (already seen on the DSSD) and questionable end-link treatment.
    Last edited by cmcm3; 22nd May 2014 at 11:24.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    You haven't sensed much hype? Do a search on the number of threads posted here about it!

It answers a lot of questions that the punters seem to have.

Want date, don't like cyclops.
    DSSD too big.
    Depth rating better than Sub (for pub rights).
    Adds Ceramic bezel and decent bracelet improving on 16600.
    60min markers look Milsub-like.
    'Sea-Dweller' is the iconic name.

As I've said before, if I didn't already have a Rolex diver, this would make a perfect one size fits all.

This image was posted on a TRF thread, linked here for credit http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=351010

Maybe there is hype in the sense that people are discussing it quite a bit, which is the least one would expect given the return of what you've rightfully called an iconic name. However, I have not sensed a mad rush to buy that was present in previous new Rolex releases. As many have mentioned, acquiring one is not too difficult especially compared to prior freshly released Rolex models. This sentiment is of course purely based on browsing watch forums, obviously we don't have access to real numbers from Rolex.

I'm not knocking the SD, I actually think its a great watch. I'm only noting that (in my opinion) the differences between it and the sub are too minor (to me) to warrant genuine excitement. If anything, I marginally prefer the new bezel to the sub bezel, but really can that bezel and no cyclops be such an exciting move, even discounting the significant price differential between the SD and SubC?

I'm actually surprised Rolex didn't at least offer a different case size at 42mm which would have captured a sweet spot between the Sub at 40mm and DS at 44mm and served as another differentiating factor for the Rolex lineup in an increasingly competitive market.

-
    Just my 2p

Maybe there is hype in the sense that people are discussing it quite a bit, which is the least one would expect given the return of what you've rightfully called an iconic name. However, I have not sensed a mad rush to buy that was present in previous new Rolex releases. As many have mentioned, acquiring one is not too difficult especially compared to prior freshly released Rolex models.
    Yeah, that's what I though you meant by hype - a lot of people talking talking about it - and there were a lot of threads on here. But for once Rolex have either provided sufficient models to satisfy demand or it's too expensive to be massively popular...

I love the new SD 4000 but will also grant that there are not enough differences to justify buying if you have the 16600. On the wrist very much feels like the 16600. I do wish it were a little more substantial. If I had to pick one, would go with the SD 4000. DSSD is still the favorite.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
    Mike Wood has one for £6,950 http://www.theoldwatchshop.com/sports.html

Master
    This.
    I tried one and it was lovely... But £7k?! I would much sooner spend that sort of cash on a GO, JLC or similar. I don't think I could bring myself to spend that sort of money on one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Yeah, that's what I though you meant by hype - a lot of people talking talking about it - and there were a lot of threads on here. But for once Rolex have either provided sufficient models to satisfy demand or it's too expensive to be massively popular...
    Not just the once. They started this last year or the year before even. To make sure watches are available across the world, at ADs, soon after Basel. This probably to stymie the whole greymarket silly-price thing.

Some people haven't caught on yet and they may get stung by dealers trying to hype the watches as unobtainable anyway.

The same will happen with the new Cellinis, once available, theyll be available all over the world at the same time.

Master
    Salloways in Lichfield always seem to have the new models in stock.

Master
    If we take hype to mean lots of positive talk about the watch, then over on trf the hype has been pretty muted with many thinking this is not different enough from the subc and too expensive. Hype over there is really over the Platona now, when it came out the reaction was pretty mixed but now as a few senior members have bought them it is now easily the most hyped Rolex on there. Same will be true of the BLRO/PepC this autumn/winter I am sure.

As for availability this was made for last year's Basel so they were ready to hit ADs straight after Basel, the PepC will be in a few more months as per usual.
    Last edited by aksing; 23rd May 2014 at 16:19.

Craftsman
    Tried one on in Dubai airport on Thursday.

About £7k @6dhm/£

Walked away thinking what all the fuss is about , far too big and heavy IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Tried one on in Dubai airport on Thursday. About £7k @6dhm/£ Walked away thinking what all the fuss is about , far too big and heavy IMHO.
    Big and heavy?
    May be you tried DSSD 😄

Journeyman
    This image was posted on a TRF thread, linked here for credit http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=351010

I'm actually surprised Rolex didn't at least offer a different case size at 42mm which would have captured a sweet spot between the Sub at 40mm and DS at 44mm and served as another differentiating factor for the Rolex lineup in an increasingly competitive market.

-
    Just my 2p
    Great photo. I agree, 42mm and I would be selling something now to get hold of it. As it is, I'll still get one but can wait for boredom to force a piece out and pick one up s/h later.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Big and heavy?
    May be you tried DSSD 
    +1

Its a perfect size and weight IMO even for the small waisted.

Master
    I tried one on at the local AD last week here in Denmark.
    I have to say I really liked it. Particularly the matt dial and the fully graduated bezel. The lower weight and thickness gives a much more wearable watch than the DSSD, but I still think the sub may well be a better allrounder for most people.

Blog Entries
    Tried one on yesterday and loved it, just seems a tad expensive compared to the Sub

What hype? The SDC is readily available. Just tried one on at Westfield, selling at £6900.

Blog Entries
    Blowers still have there's at £7900 "yikes".
    Spoke to my AD yesterday they've had them since day one

Very interested to try one on but suspect the current Sub C might win out....but happy to at least have a good look at the SDc all the same.