closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Opinion sought - Longines Legend Diver

Opinion sought - Longines Legend Diver

Over the past few days I've been negotiating the possible purchase of a Rolex GMT Master, and licking my wounds when the seller (for reasons unconnected with my negotiation method, I hasten to add) decided not to sell after all - his need for cash passed and it's a watch which, it turns out, has personal significance to him so I really cannot blame him, I'd have done the same.

OK, licking my wounds may be a touch dramatic, but I was disappointed.

I've decided that, in order to counter the disappointment, now may be the time to seek a watch I've been keen on for a while - a Longines Legend Diver.

In order to avoid having to learn my own lessons, I thought I'd ask the hive mind their opinions - firstly I'm interested in hearing from owners - is it a watch which gets worn a lot, or one which sits in the box for prolonged timescales?

If you own one, do you own the original or modern? If it's a modern one, is it a date or non-date? What thoughts do people have about the date/non-date thing?

So, if you own an LLD, or just have an opinion, I'd be interested to hear?

Don't own one, so I have little to offer other than the following:

They are gorgeous.

I tried one on, and they wear pretty big for a 42.

The none-date is prettier.

Felt lightweight and looked really shiny when I tried one on, I was quite underwhelmed by it.

Digger

I tried one on last year, pulled out the crown to adjust the hands and the movement came with it - basically the dial came adrift, and the watch broke in my hands. Put me right off, seemed vert fragile - hands also looked flat and cheaply made. They do look good in pics and on display but I thought the quality (at least the one I tried in) was poor for a watch costing over £1000

I had the modern date version and I thought it was a nice good quality watch. It's a good size as well which is nice but personally I am an external bezel type of guy and not internal.

Sold it on SC a couple of months ago but for the same money I would and am looking at a used omega

Banned
    Wears big, especially lug to lug and I'm an average 7.5" wrist.

Looks better on the interweb than on the wrist IMHO.

Remember the box is HUGE, so a flip is gonna cost you £30 just to post!

Master
    I didn't like it when I tried one on. Look at the hands - they look as though they're made out of stamped tin.

Craftsman
    Owned one, version with date (modern version)

I love the watch, the size was perfect, wears very comfy, sporty watch but also nice when wearing a suit.
    The package that comes with the watch is amazing. I've never seen a box / paperwork that was so nice.

I think this watch is very good value for money. It's a great design that kept the true vintage look of the original.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Wears big, especially lug to lug
    burnsey is right, I had forgotten this.

Digger

Quote Originally Posted by colin View Post
    I didn't like it when I tried one on. Look at the hands - they look as though they're made out of stamped tin.

This.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by colin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    This.
    After owning two I agree, the burrs on the edges of the hands let it down. As did the internal bezel that moves of its own accord unlike similar ones from IWC or Bremont. And the crowns were slightly different distances from the dial markings (ie vs the 2 and 4 markers on the dial). Apart from that I loved the design and otherwise good value.

Ant

Had one, found it a bit meh, really. Not really a "diver" diver, more of a "tuxedo" tool.

I'd a bit of a thing for twin crowns & much preferred the couple of Anonimos & Glycine Lagunares I've had.

I sold/PXed it F2F with old slim wrists, Burnsey. What a fine fellow!

I first had the modern date version when I couldn't track down the ND. Liked it but sold it and finally tracked down the ND.

I'd say it's a perfect daily wearer. Accurate. Not at all common. Attracts only positive comments. I don't mind the hands, they are true to the original. The long lugs are beautiful and certain straps just set this off. Posting the box is expensive but nearer £25 than £30.

So for:

Uncommon
    Distinctive
    Quality
    True to the original

Pros:

Nothing, it's a great watch. You'll just need to try one.

Gray

I have a modern date and it'd be one of the last that I'd sell on, and I'd have to be quite desperate at that.

I have no quality related issues with mine; both crowns operate with extreme smoothness, no (visable to the naked eye) burrs, internal bezel locks easily and doesn't move of its own accord, very good timekeeping and so on. And despite what has been said already, I wouldn't say that it wears large at all, not on my 7 1/4" wrist anyway. Sure, it's relatively long lugged, but it suits the style of the watch and although other straps work well with it I haven't felt the need to wear it with anthing other than the original sail cloth. It doesn't get as much wrist time as my Sinn or my Gs TBH but that's because I'm normally dressed on the more casual T and jeans end of the scale.

Last edited by CardShark; 1st July 2013 at 12:39.

I don't own one, but it's a stylish looking watch that I'd certainly consider if I was looking to extend my collection in a 'diver' direction.

The 'stamped tin' hands seems to be something of a Longines thing (My HC has similar hands), it'll either bother you or it won't.

As for not being a 'Diver' diver, well anything that's a diver and NOT a Sub clone is worth a look, imho.

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I have a modern non date and I am wearing it as I type.
    I think it is one of the best looking watches out there and I love compressor cases.

I have a 6.5 inch wrist and it is a tad on the large side lug to lug, but I can just about pull it off.

My only gripe is that the bezel markers don't seem line up exactly with the dial markers.

I have no experience of the modern one, but the old ones are dynamite! I have two and it would be a wrench to part with either.

It's true, they do wear slightly large for 42mm but they are extremely comfortable and mine have been paragons of reliability, much more so than my Omegas and Rolexes.

The only tricky things with the old ones is a) finding one and b) parts if there should be a problem.

Personally I prefer no having a date; I think it clutters the dial and my eyes aren't what they were so there's not a lot of point in having one.

When I tried on the Rose Gold version, loved it and it's still the nicest watch I haven't bought (yet...)

A

Master
    A friend had one, and it looked great, a very affordable alternative to similar things from IWC and JLC. However I suspect the build quality is not really up there - he needed to service it pretty soon due the timekeeping becoming erratic, and when he wound the diving timer crown the wrong way by mistake, the result was an unpleasant crunching sensation and it getting stuck. I'm guessing it probably says don't do that in the manual, but I'll also bet the IWC doesn't do that! But within it's own limits and considering the price, it always looked good on him and got a lot of compliments.

I like it and before I bought it, I had heard that it looks better in pics than in person. But, I found it to be a very nicely made watch.
    Not a 'tool' watch ( how I hate that phrase!). Dressier but is nice for what it is.
    Prefer the no-date version.

Craftsman
    Sorry not wanting to take this OT but where did you get that canvas strap?

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I first had the modern date version when I couldn't track down the ND. Liked it but sold it and finally tracked down the ND.

I'd say it's a perfect daily wearer. Accurate. Not at all common. Attracts only positive comments. I don't mind the hands, they are true to the original. The long lugs are beautiful and certain straps just set this off. Posting the box is expensive but nearer £25 than £30.

So for:

Uncommon
    Distinctive
    Quality
    True to the original

Pros:

Nothing, it's a great watch. You'll just need to try one.

It's a Morelletto Jump strap. They make them for Hamilton too (at three times the price). I think from watchbandcentre.
    Gray

Bought the date version about a month ago. I love it. I've got small wrists but don't think it wears too big....it's very comfortable.

I have owned two now- its a case for me of a watch which always looks gorgeous in photos but I always find underwhelming. The poor cross hatching on the crown always seemed to irritate me as it looked a bit half hearted. That said , I fitted it to a satin shark mesh bracelet and it really changed the look. It's really something you have to try to be sure. I personally felt the 2500 omega planet ocean had more appeal.

Master
    It's a great watch imo even for retail price but it was very much bigger than the spec tells (with long lugs) imo when I tried it. Otherwise big thumbs up!

Master
    I don't have any of them (with or without date) but I've handled them both and they are very well built. The quality is pretty amazing. The genuine strap it's the only letdown of this specific model.

Looks great in pics, but didn't like it on the wrist. Too 'dressy' for a diver IMO.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    Felt lightweight and looked really shiny when I tried one on, I was quite underwhelmed by it.

Digger
    Same with me. I liked the look of it off the wrist but on...Too thin and lightweight compared to what I'd regard as divers watch. In fact it felt a bit like a dress watch on. The strap is no good for someone with wrists over 7.5 either as I just managed to get it on, on the last hole

I wore my modern date version today. Its priced just about right IMO. It has a thick domed crystal (quite expensive to produce so Ive read somewhere), but on the flip side the hands are very thin as pointed out earlier. The lume is crap as well. The strap could be thicker, maybe I'll swap it for a Brady version in the future. It wears big for a 42 but is very comfy.

Craftsman
    As posted by others here, I love the look of the LLD but it just didn't look right on my wrist. I agree that it wears large for its size and something feels a little cheap about the watch. Perhaps its the polished case against a fairly conservative dial or maybe the long lugs mentioned. I have nearly bought one on a couple of occasions but have ultimately bought other watches instead.

I really love these in pictures and they look great on everyone else's wrists. However saw one in the flesh the other day and although it still looks great, it appears massive. Larger even than the supposedly larger Magrette that I had. WOuld suggest try before you buy if you're concerned about the size. All dial makes it wear very large.

Don't own one, but I really like this watch. It's a chance to buy a vintage looking watch which is also a diver in new condition. It is unique and different IMHO.

I think the Oris diver date is worth looking at

Journeyman
    Are there any other compressor cases out there for similar money?
    I love the design, and the 'tuxedo tool' element, but nervous about the build quality issues.
    And would rather than a smaller independent brand than Longines...
    Wasn't there a rumor that Eddie might do a compressor?
    seb

Used to have this LLD ND and thought it was a wonderful watch. Yes you can comment on the hands but then again it's in the friendly price range. One thing that annoyed me constantly was that the markers on the internal bezel did not line up with the markers on the dial. This seems to vary with every watch, but mine was not so good. I think that would be an easy thing to sort out? But over all a well built watch and nice design.

I love compressor cases and wanted to love the LLD. So I tried one on at an AD when they first came out, and didn't like it at all. Simple stamped hands with burred edges, too many shiny surfaces, a strap I didn't like. Meh.
    So I went looking elsewhere and managed to get myself on the list for this.

The Pleamar, a forum wach from FdR in Spain, made up by Pedro Izquierdo in Madrid.

It was a third of the price of the LLD, and to my mind just as much of a watch.

I liked it very much (even though it was just as shiny as the LLD), but have now sold it on.

You could try and find one of those.

D

It's a cracker of a watch and a worthy alternative.

In many ways I prefer it to the LLD but the LLD had authenticity of reissue to support it's appeal.

The ND version of the Pleamar would be my choice if aesthetics was all there was to go on - although the quality of the printing on this one is dubious.
    Last edited by gray; 3rd July 2013 at 14:18.
    Gray

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post

So, if you own an LLD, or just have an opinion, I'd be interested to hear?
    I have had a no-date version for approx. 2 days. Came with a nice selection of alternative strap options - 2 nato (one striped and one leather), one good quality mesh and a cream fabric. Bought from respected trader here in the UK although guarantee card is stamped Oct. 2012 by Topper in California (!)
    Box is so big and weighty that for a watch that is relatively as understated as this it's plainly daft. However, gives it a bit of presentability cache, I suppose. Bought it because it looked a bit different compared to modern divers and it has the vintage look without the grief of having a vintage watch and the upkeep that can come with it. Id like to think it's a watch for those in the know, perhaps. The brand possibly doesn't have top end desirability at present but these models are very well thought of for good reason.

Verdict so far: Well built and nicely weighted. overall appearance: Quite classy and understated for a dive watch. responses: Very positive. Even from the wife.

Will wear it a lot I think (although when jumping in and out of a pool all day yesterday I opted for my trusty Seiko diver - safe bet in case of dinks!)

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Own the no date. Love the watch and look on the wrist. Always gets compliments. Also turned a work colleague into a wis!!

I have modern date version. The size is perfect to me. Lovely watch for its price. Both crown operates fine, no quality issues with the crowns and internal bezel as other people mentioned. A very distinctive design. Doesn't look out of place next to other super compressors.

loved the look of it

but tried it in an AD, was not a good size for my 6.7" wrist and in real life I found the dial busier than Tokyo

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    used to own one.. sold it.. bought another one.. sold it.. shouldnt have done.. would have one back in an instant.

always went for the date version.
    theyve added script to the dial recently IIRC.. some spiel about 300 metres.. try and get one that doesnt have that on it.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    used to own one.. sold it.. bought another one.. sold it.. shouldnt have done.. would have one back in an instant.
    Somewhere in that chain of events is mine (bought from verv)! And I still love it. It's got that smart/casual, modern/retro thing going on. The only thing I'd change is to shorten the lugs by a mm or two and/or reposition the spring bar holes to nearer the lug ends. But that's being fussy :D

@the op - clearly a watch that divides opinion this much should be tried by you....

the marmite cliché in full effect (not for me though)

Apprentice
    Simple but classic, it's always in my wishlist.

Apprentice
    The most authentic reissue Longines make, but I too was somewhat disappointed in the flesh. Don't get the newest model with all the extra writing, though, if you like the more classic models.

Journeyman
    Really nice watch, it wears quite big (22mm between the lugs) but does not sit very high on the wrist so it looks good and not oversized.
    Very nice on NATO's when summer comes, it is a nice alternative to the Sub.
    I prefer the No date as well.

And I confirm the box is HUGE! :)

Master
    Dragging this up from the depths...

Happened to be in Kowloon yesterday where they have a flagship Longines store. The LLD is a watch I've had in mind for a while now as I like the supercompressor look and the retro style I've seen in pics.

Impressions?
    - still like the style
    - concur with comments that it's a bit "light" on the wrist
    - the standard strap let's it down
    - v long lugs, would definitely need to change to an alternative strap for me to be able to wear comfortably
    - didn't look too closely at finish tbh as even though I was in a mood to buy, there was no haggling to be done and the price offered was HKD17,400 which is comparable to those I googled in GBP

Conclusion? I'd still have one but will keep my eyes on SC rather than buying new.

Journeyman
    I bought the LDD last year with date and wear it 2 to 3 times a week as a dress watch.
    The lug length aren't an issue ( I have small wrists at 7 inches) and the strap isn't all that hefty and perfectly adequate (it's that old 1950s sailcloth look).

it's a versatile piece and I never seem to get bored of it. The dial combined with that high quality sapphire is a thing of understated beauty.
    Surprised how I kept it for so long tbh.