closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: undecided between 4 Breitling professionals

Craftsman

Question undecided between 4 Breitling professionals

i have decided to buy myself a Breitling professional with a quartz movement, i am looking at the different models and i am undecided which to choose.
    Since i don't like watches with a diameter small than 42mm i am looking at these 4:

1) Aerospace Evo

2) B1

3) Airwolf

4) Aerospace Avantage

At the moment my preference goes to the Airwolf as i like the 3d effect of the dial, but they do not come available often on the second hand market.
    So guys, which one would you choose and why?

Banned
    For me it's the B1 the later one's have the superquartz movement.

Master
    I am not really a Breitling fan as I just find them a bit too busy but I do like the ana/digi watches they do and if I were buying one of those it would be the Aerospace Avantage it just looks cleaner and neater, the B1 would be my second choice, and the one I would not buy out of those is that Airwolf, sorry I know it's your favourite but wow talk about a busy dial! Enjoy it whichever one you go for

Craftsman
    I love the Navitimer, but the ones you posted in the thread here are very unappealing to me so can't help.

Aerospace Evo

Craftsman
    Aerospace, the classic one.

A "Professional" is all about function, and an easy to read dial, the B1 and the Airwolf are clearly not the case, the last reincarnation of the Aerospace is loosing it as well, so easy choice here...

Out of the 4 listed I would vote for the Aerospace Evo, stunning watch another non Breitling alternative and less than half the price would be the Tag Heuer Chronotimer that for some reason gets very little love. It has the same features with the addition of 300M Water Resistance, the B1 and Airwolf is only 50m, pictured here with the Yellow dial it's also available with a much more conservative Black dial.

Of the 4 you list:

Aerospace Evo: I'm not keen on the larger digits.
    B1: Nice, but the lugs down turn down much so might not work well on smaller wrists.
    Airwolf: Love it, and have one. But that particular dial you show there can be hard to see the hour hand against the sunburst effect. I have the later one.
    Aerospace Avantage: Love it once again. Haven't owned one but probably will at some point.

Here's my 'wolf:

Last edited by marcus fenix; 11th May 2014 at 13:23.

Journeyman
    Evo

Craftsman
    My vote is for the B1

Avantage.
    Compass bezels is a no-no. B1 too busy.
    Prefer the hands of the Avantage to the Evo plus I rather have the 13-23 markings on the dial than the 15-30-45 mirroring the rider tabs (with bezel centered).

Evo. Slightly larger case than the Avantage which looks a bit more dated in comparison.

Master
    I had a colt superocean professional,which i loved for its simplicity by Breitling standards.
    I just find a lot of them too blingy and fussy!
    If it had to be one my choice would be the B1.

B1 for me (money where my mouth is too!)

The Aerospace is a bit too simple looking for my taste and I don't like the single crown interface, but some are very well priced so that might sway some.

For me, the B1 just ticked all the boxes in terms of styling, size and features.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 12th May 2014 at 14:50.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a B1 after having the Aerospace with the painted italic numerals (the best style IMO). The single crown of the Aerospace was not as useful as the B1 and the dial is less busy in use. The black face is the one to get, the
    LCD panels fade into it. The backlight is great and the calculator bezel is very useful.

The Airwolf has a useless IMO bezel, and the dial pattern is not to my liking.

I have the Avantage (with the 'plank' dial in bronze) which followed on from a standard 40mm Aerospace - it was worth it to me just to get the backlighting which I have found absolutely essential and a joy to use! It is my perfect ana-digi and is featherlight and very slim on it's bracelet.

The Airwolf - great caseback but the compass bezel rules it out for me.

I've never understood why have a compass rose as a bezel? I get that you can approximate south by pointing the hour hand at the sun and bisecting the angle between that and 12 o'clock, but you don't need a compass bezel for this procedure. Any other reason?

Blog Entries
    Having had all of these - except the Aerospace Evo - my favorite is the Aerospace Avantage. I'm afraid I don't like the dial of the Evo though, new Breitlings just seem to be to big/ bling. The Airwolf I just found to blingy too, I am now on my third Avantage this time wih the Co-pilot module. They are just a great, understated, grab and go watch that still retains a tool look about them.
    Just my opinion though.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    Having had all of these - except the Aerospace Evo - my favorite is the Aerospace Avantage. I'm afraid I don't like the dial of the Evo though, new Breitlings just seem to be to big/ bling. The Airwolf I just found to blingy too, I am now on my third Avantage this time wih the Co-pilot module. They are just a great, understated, grab and go watch that still retains a tool look about them.
    Just my opinion though.
    The new one is a mm bigger than the old, equally as slim and with all but identical dial design. The creeping size is a shame though - the watch is no better for being 43mm than it was at 40mm - however, as everyone else still seems to be upsizing these days, Breitling would be missing a trick if it didn't follow suit.

I like the late-model 40mm Aerospace or the early 42mm with its backlight. However the crown-only operation makes it mostly useless when worn on the right wrist. the ones with push buttons are better, but larger and busier. I like the Chronotimer too, but not the cheap-looking and unnecessary plasti-chrome trim around the bottom display.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Out of the ones you have listed there, the B1 would be my choice..

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I've never understood why have a compass rose as a bezel? I get that you can approximate south by pointing the hour hand at the sun and bisecting the angle between that and 12 o'clock, but you don't need a compass bezel for this procedure. Any other reason?
    So you can look like a pilot when you're not

I think it has an obscure navigational use.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    I am now on my third Avantage this time wih the Co-pilot module.
    I'd love a co-pilot module on mine...

Evo for me.. love the simplicity and readability of the dial. (I love an applied rather than printed logo as well.)

Aerospace Evo

Journeyman

Breitling

I have an advantage which i bought from this sales corner.

It was in perfect condition

I put it on a Breitling rubber strap which really suits the watch

My other watches have not been on my wrist since it very comfortable to wear

B1 for me, if it was available with a yellow dial I don't doubt I would already own one.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Yes, the Airwolf has a busy dial, is polished, useless bezel, all that, but this one is good looking nonetheless, IMHO...

Have fun with your decision :-)

Cheers!

Andreas

Banned
    Blog Entries
    B1 for me

B-1 with super quartz movement without a doubt. I used to own one and I regret that I had to still it to fund another watch. Unbelievably accurate at 2.4 seconds per year, hefty but still very wearable, versatile, simply great.

WRT to the 'busy dial' of the B-1 and the Airwolf (by extension, as it's quite similar), I find in practice, you don't really notice the markings around the outside of the dial and it's actually a paragon of clarity when you glance at it to the time and, as someone else has said, on the black dialed B-1, the LCD displays merge into the dial as a whole from most angles, unless switched on.

Photos don't always tell the whole story.

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

B-1 for sure!
    I have two B-1 and Emergency (the same movement as Aerospace). B-1 movement has more functions than Aerospace (backlight, better stopwatch).

I don't see any differences between SQ and non-SQ version, except the different script on dial.

B-1 has totally awesome back too ;)

PS: One of my B-1 will be on SC soon in very good price :)

Banned
    As a Breitling fan, the quartz range has largely past me by, I'm not keen on the design or looks, but if I had to pick one it would be the Evo.

Master
    b1 for me, i wish mine was in slightly better nick but it such a good watch and i much prefer the interface compared to the aerospace

Craftsman
    I'd vote for the B1 as well..I used to own one and I'm kind of sorry y sold it....