closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Polished centre links/ bracelets

Polished centre links/ bracelets

I may have new incoming but am wondering what other peoples experience of polished centre links etc were. I'm a bit of a desk jockey so the bracelet may get some light wear/ scuffs from the desk - are these easy to polish out? Do you need a treat the polished parts of a bracelet differently from a brushed finish?

cheers

Master
    I have recently purchased a Oris Diver that has polished centre links and I have to confess that I take the watch off if I am at my desk for a long period of time. I guess it's because I am in the honeymoon period still

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It is a lot easier, in my experience, to get swirls and light scratches removed from a polished surface than a satinized surface.

Irrespective of the higher chance of seeing scratches, I just find them a bit too 'blingy' in that they seem to catch the eye and attract attention - not what I want!

Master
    just picked up a s/h seiko with polished centre links and im tempted to take the scourer to it as im not too keen on the look of it

don't want to even imagine doing that!

seriously though, there must be some owners who have had the same worry?

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    don't want to even imagine doing that!

seriously though, there must be some owners who have had the same worry?
    If you're worrying about them you bought the wrong watch. Learn to live with them and get it polished when being serviced.

Easy to mask of the brushed section & give it a polish every once in a while with the small dremel polishing tool

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    It is a lot easier, in my experience, to get swirls and light scratches removed from a polished surface than a satinized surface.
    Not sure I`d totally agree, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other for me. I`d much rather be refinishing a brushed or grained finish than a polished surface. With a polished surface it can start looking worse before it looks better; when you get closer to a perfect mirror finish you start to see ALL the minor imperfections.....so you keep going...and going.....and going. Eventually it ends up perfect, but the first time it gets worn it'll show the most minute hairline scratches and you'll notice them because you've just spent ages getting it right.

Putting a brushed finish right requires a more elaborate approach, but a few strokes with a fibreglass brush can work wonders if the scuffing is slight. However, if the damage is deeper you can end up having to refinish the whole thing because the refinished surface will usually differ slightly from the rest.....it's a bit like touching up car paintwork.

For reasons I don`t understand, polished gold surfaces seem more forgiving in terms of showing fine scratches than steel, and the gold's a lot easier to repolish than steel. Much as I like to see polished centre links on steel bracelets, they really do pick up the marks. For that reason I`m not sorry that I no longer own any.

Discipline is required: repolish your centre links (or have them repolished) then promise yourself NOT to inspect the bracelet again for at least 6 months, or preferably 1 year. Otherwise, you drive yourself nuts. Alternatively, put the watch away and don`t wear it.....but that has obvious drawbacks!

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Alternatively, put the watch away and don`t wear it.....but that has obvious drawbacks!Paul
    " ... drawbacks" - 'drawer-backs'!

Get it? Get it?

I picked up a BLNR GMT two weeks ago and there was a lot of talk of people being bothered by them. I'm finding I really like them, puts a little contrast in the bracelet in certain lights and in others they blend into the rest of the bracelet. I've worn it every day for 2 weeks and haven't noticed any swirlies, early days though!

Master
    I have polished centre links on a couple of watches. If you mask off the brushed parts of the links, you can use a cape cod cloth and it works really well.

aah, the mysterious 'cape cod'. I've seen a few references to it- what is it? Is it imbued with a fine 't-cut' or similar?

Interesting, just had a google - sounds very like Brasso?

cheers!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have 5 Rolex and 2 Omegas

None have ever been commented on ever apart from the Seamaster Pro and Daytona, in other words due to the polished links they'd look blingy. In fact I was even asked if the Seamaster was a Rolex as it "looked the part"

Anyhow my Daytona picked up a mark on the PCL within a day of wearing it from new, they are def scratch magnets. Prob would buy a GMT if it had brushed steel links hence looking at the vintage versions

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Easy to mask off the brushed section & give it a polish every once in a while with the small dremel polishing tool
    Perzackerly. Done this one twice over the last couple of years. The masking up takes longer than the polishing.

Last edited by Seiko7A38; 13th May 2014 at 19:06.

It is not so difficult to fix up such bracelet, but I really dislike the look of such bracelets.

I had one Tag with polished centre and hated the look of the bracelet.

Master
    Polished centre links IMVHO are a PITA.

Can Rolex bracelets be bought separately? I guess it would be a nice option to be able to swap between one with PCLs and one without.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't recommend cape cod as it will leave tiny invisible swirls on the finish which will become visible over time.