closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Clarkson - does he say the N word?

Craftsman

Jeremy Clarkson - does he say the N word?

So... he didn't actually say anything offensive then - just mumbled a kids' song, one version of which is offensive?

JC is an afro-saxon who employs lady secretaries to be his bacon bits. He's just a big bubba, gorrila-head honky doin' his thang as a frustrated toff tory boi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihH_-O7ev2o

Interestingly, what did you say in your head as you followed along with Clarkson ?

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    Interestingly, what did you say in your head as you followed along with Clarkson ?
    I said "leper"... the version I know isn't nice :)

Master
    For what its worth it sound to me that he says 'ninja' ............

Bingo.

Banned
    I am utterly perplexed by the general terror in polite society of the n word (and I use that silly term purely out of respect for the bosses no swearing rule as some might misconstrue it.)

clearly it is unacceptable if use in a derogatory manner. So are many other ethnic slurs. And other slurs.

but the word seems to have acquired a special place in the pantheon of unacceptable things.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    I am utterly perplexed by the general terror in polite society of the n word (and I use that silly term purely out of respect for the bosses no swearing rule as some might misconstrue it.)

clearly it is unacceptable if use in a derogatory manner. So are many other ethnic slurs. And other slurs.

but the word seems to have acquired a special place in the pantheon of unacceptable things.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_...e_gdata_player

Start of the day he denied saying anything of the sort, end of play he was in the papers seeking "Forgiveness" For what he had done.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The version that is in my head uses the word that shall not be uttered. Perhaps he did say it, the version which is likely ingrained in him (assuming he heard it a youngster) would have been the original. Does that make us both racists? I don't think so. More people desperate to be offended IMHO.

Probably because of its history and current use in the US, the largest English speaking nation and one that has a large African American minority. I don't know of any other ethnic slur that has become such common use in todays language.

Blog Entries
    This is total stupidity and PC crap gone wrong if Clarkson who by the way I think is a total prat had used the "nigger" word and what makes this word worth more than so many other racial insults? but please tape analysis trying to see if he said it is scraping the barrel
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

What I really can't understand and probably never will is that if the word is so bad and massively offensive why is it ok for them to greet each other using the N word?

this thread is in danger of turning intotherestaurant scene in 'being John malkovich'
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    What I really can't understand and probably never will is that if the word is so bad and massively offensive why is it ok for them to greet each other using the N word?
    This^

When I was younger I moved up to Yorkshire which has a large Asian population, the city I came from didn't and until then I had met very few Asian people. I was pretty supprised to hear young Asian lads using the "P word" Amongst one another and even finding it hilarious when non Asian mates would also use it. I personally didn't because to me it just didn't sit right to go about using words that anywhere else would be deemed offensive.

I think people amongst friends or people they feel comfortable with may use terms that otherwise would be offensive. I remember black lads I grew up with using the n word and white lads (Who were their mates) Using it too. Presumably its the same reason why its so common in rap music sung? by black and white.

Aside from that I have never in my entire life heard any reasonably educated black or Asian person using a racial slur to greet one another. There are quite a few black people who do the same job as I, never once have I heard them greet each other like that.

Banned
    The idea of reclaiming or re appropriating pejorative terms is explored briefly here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reappropriation

the curious thing is that the word is only acceptable within the black community and not if you are a white boy.

The 'n' word

Funny and pertinent, but some bad language in this Louis CK sketch - don't click the link in polite company!

Master
    Seems to me that Clarkson who has made his living as a knee jerk reactionary but tbf can be quite witty on occasion will have upset /offended some people in the course of time. For him to even mouth the lines of eeny meeny..... was never a good idea given his public perception (in my eyes anyway). When he says (allegedly) things like this then its hardly surprising that some people who are not fans of his kind of rhetoric will highlight the matter. I'm no big fan but this is not a major issue to me, the BBC will have their own PC take though. Plenty of rappers use the word.

The idea of reclaiming or re appropriating pejorative terms is explored briefly here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reappropriation

the curious thing is that the word is only acceptable within the black community and not if you are a white boy.
    Not in my experience growing up it isn't.

Back on topic though, Clarkson has made plenty of enemies and I suppose years of behaving like a prat at some point its going to come back to bite. Reading the papers today there are plenty of people coming out wanting him to be sacked, the media and twitter are busy trying to incite the masses and stoke up the burning torches.

Ironic thing is, I would imagine most people in all honesty couldn't care less about the man.
    Last edited by robert75; 1st May 2014 at 22:39.

Actually, "tigger" as that's how was taught it.

Hmmm... 'them'..

There's an ocean of 'stuff' on reclaiming that word out there but I can't be arsed to reference that, however much the older generation don't like it that they can't use that word (and some others) because just aren't acceptable in this day and age.
    If you really want to use that word, go out into the street and use it, the reaction from others will be interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post

Hmmm... 'them'..

There's an ocean of 'stuff' on reclaiming that word out there but I can't be arsed to reference that, however much the older generation don't like it that they can't use that word (and some others) because just aren't acceptable in this day and age.
    If you really want to use that word, go out into the street and use it, the reaction from others will be interesting...
    OFFS.....come on, really?

What did you want me to say......the word THEM is offensive now?

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post

Hmmm... 'them'..

Just as a side note, I have never quite understood this argument of "They can use it amongst themselves but others cant"

Why on earth would you want to use these words anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Just as a side note, I have never quite understood this argument of "They can use it amongst themselves but others cant"

Why on earth would you want to use these words anyway?
    I'm not getting in to this because this is getting silly.

I'm not getting in to this because this is getting silly.
    I wasn't referring to you it was a general observation.

Journeyman
    Does anyone actually care if he said it or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinky View Post
    Does anyone actually care if he said it or not?
    Not me. Why anyone listens to a word he says is beyond me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I wasn't referring to you it was a general observation.
    Apologies.

Must be a slow news day.

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    Must be a slow news day.
    They couldn't find anyone from UKIP to write/moan/trial by drowing about.

JC is a controversial character who occasionally says (or possibly even mumbles) controversial things, there's no news in that. The video in the OP is 2 years old and only now someone has picked up on what may have or may have not been said??? This is a bit silly, and if there are people that upset by it why don't they have a pop at the BBC and all the others involved in Top Gear, because they're obviously racist as well....

Who honestly cares? He could have said Paki for all I care, I wouldn't be offended.

'News' stories these day seem to involve going to the ends of the earth, forensically seeking out 'evidence' with which to be gravely 'offended' by and then start a witch hunt until blood is drawn. Truly pathetic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    JC is a controversial character who occasionally says (or possibly even mumbles) controversial things, there's no news in that. The video in the OP is 2 years old and only now someone has picked up on what may have or may have not been said??? This is a bit silly, and if there are people that upset by it why don't they have a pop at the BBC and all the others involved in Top Gear, because they're obviously racist as well....
    And the most important aspect is that it never went to air – this is editing room archive that was cut from the recording and another take inserted instead, before being broadcast.
    All much ado about nothing!

Journeyman
    Someones got their knickers in a twist; and a slow news day for the red tops. The fact it's c. 2 years old, and has only come to light now, after 1 alledged complaint says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post

So what watch is Louis CK wearing?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Who honestly cares? He could have said Paki for all I care, I wouldn't be offended.

'News' stories these day seem to involve going to the ends of the earth, forensically seeking out 'evidence' with which to be gravely 'offended' by and then start a witch hunt until blood is drawn. Truly pathetic.
    I agree entirely! I say a pox on the sad individuals who have nothing better to do with their sorry PC lives than to try and sniff out racism where none exists.
    Last edited by KavKav; 2nd May 2014 at 07:29.

Banned
    I see Jim Sheridan MP has appointed himself witch hunter general. Over to the BP then!

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    So what watch is Louis CK wearing?
    He seems to be wearing a Datejust in most of the clips I've watched.

I agree this is a bit of an overreaction, fueled more by liberal guilt/political correctness, than offense caused to racial minorities. (Although you don't have the be black to be offended by such racial epithets).

I think racism is more associated with the intent/context of a word, rather than the word itself. You can say extremely racist, offensive things without using any bad language/racial epithets. (E.g. UKIP tweets).

The Louis CK sketch actually makes a good point as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post

I agree entirely! I say a pox on the sad individuals who have nothing better to do with their sorry PC lives than to try and sniff out racism where none exists.
    KavKav says what I wanted to say,
    As we're in the G&D I wont express myself as I would in the BP, seems that too many people have too much time on their hands.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    If I said "FO N" to a black person then they have some justification in being offended.

If someone almost says it when reciting a silly childrens' rhyme and you are offended it's because you choose to be and you want to be.

Suggesting that Lenny Henry goes and lives in a 'black country' is offensive (and ironically, he came from the black country). Using the word 'nigger' in the middle of a children's rhyme is at worst mildly offensive to those that chose to be offended.

Are we not allowed to watch 'dam busters' now then?

Brighty

The real tragedy this illustrates is how political correctness has driven common sense and reason entirely out of the debate. In todays world it seems that we must tip toe around subjects and each other in order not to cause offence, this stultifies communication and understanding and further divides us as people. Shame.

In Clarksons case he mumbles something which the listener could interpret however they choose. The fact is Clarksons being accused of what Orwell would recognise as a thought crime....

Passenger above is right. Being a fairly young, but extremely sexy coloured man, I find stuff such as this rather irritating. Rather then go after harmless stuff which may or may not have happened, as it seems to be more implication or conjecture, aswell as nothing can actually be discerned, why not spend the time to go after institutions that have racism and sexism etc within their hierarchy, usually old boys networks or other places where public school and oxbridge types have the large proportion of jobs.

Master
    He should have used "Ip dip dog sh*t".
    Last edited by catflem; 2nd May 2014 at 10:01.