closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Coloured Dials: I get it now.

Journeyman

Coloured Dials: I get it now.

I have a lot of watches. A lot. Over 40 of them have black dials. People prefer monochromatic watches for 2 primary reasons:
    1. they are visually versatile and go with any clothing
    2. they provide practical contrast

Not everybody has the means or desire to accumulate lots of watches, so if you ask the average guy to consider a watch colour other than black/white, they would mostly laugh at you, declare the watch a girls watch or just plain ugly. However, when you have many watches, most of them with monochromatic dials, you start to want a bit of colour.

It's like owning many pairs of jeans, and they're all the same colour, or many suits and they're all the same colour. Unless you're Free Guy, most people wouldn't do that.

... Okay I have edited the post from original. It was originally talking about Tiffany blue dials, which I think can still look cool, eg. on the Patek Nautilus or Doxas, and contrary to many opinions - it is a universally attractive MASCULINE colour, witness:

.. however, I've come to the feeling after looking through many pics of watches, and watches on wrists to see if this colour would really really suit me or not, I've concluded: no.

However, my initial premise of wanting colour wasn't wrong. What I've understood now that for me, watches are about appreciating craftmanship and quality engineering and aesthetics. I appreciate, for example, what Seiko does with their dials, because they're not just colours, they are beautifully crafted and textured; but I shouldn't just like a watch just because of the colour of the dial. It's got to be more. It's got to transcend time and be universally attractive (or absolutely sing to you) and designed for the ages. For example: is it going to look dated 10 years from now and be relegated as "that trend"?

Number one, the watch has to sing to you personally. It may puzzle you and me why a particular colour is so hot right now - whatever dude. A watch should knock YOUR socks off, not someone else. Anyway, I changed this post because I no longer agreed with the initially proposed colour choice. Eddie should just do Eddie.

That said, I do like what Zelos is doing. I can't believe I didn't notice them before. They are doing some amazingly artistic craftmanship - not just a colour, but way way more.
    Last edited by grizzlymambo; 15th March 2023 at 22:18. Reason: Don't agree with original ideas

Craftsman
    Yes, most of my dials are black too, with one white (Everest), two blue (Everest Jubillee and a Seiko), a few silver or graphite, and a couple of gold ones.

I love the recent Heuer Carrera releases with red or green dials, or the Monaco with a purple one, though I haven’t jumped in because for me, I wouldn’t wear them normally, and they’re too expensive just to wear around the house.

I think black or silver with fauxtina is about my colour limit.

Never say never though!

Did someone say coloured dial?

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Journeyman
    touche - I didn't remember this one, because I mainly ignored the Carribbean coz I was more interested in the heritage styles, and only now am I interested in investigating colours. This is quite striking.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Did someone say coloured dial?

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    That watch on that yellow tropic just screams summer. Lovely. I do have a G-Shock GW-5000 on yellow resin as my usual summer watch.